Designers » M » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

SkinBracer Mennen for men

SkinBracer Mennen for men
dislike

SkinBracer by Mennen is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. SkinBracer was launched in 1931. The fragrance features mint, musk, powdery notes, coumarin and moss.

Mint Musk Powdery Notes Coumarin Moss

SkinBracer Fragrance Reviews

Professor Oakmoss
Professor Oakmoss

This dirt cheap aftershave must be the most mentioned fragrance when older people are talking about what is the worst thing out there in my country. I have heard several accounts of farmers smelling like Mennen and cow shit when this stuff was more popular. Cow shit doesn't really layer well with anything so I had to pick this up to see if it is somehow ghastly and terrifying.

Turns out it is not and I really like slapping this on after a shave. The sweet minty side is the most apparent one but there is also powdery lavender and musk. I was surprised to find that the longevity is not bad either. The effect of Mennen is also very nicely cooling and feels good on skin. It is a very simple and effective product that costs very little. Good stuff.

britrockguy64
britrockguy64

FINALLY. Quite possibly the best aftershave splash and one of my favorite scents in general. The combo of bright mint and fresh talc is especially invigorating. Nothing groundbreaking, mind you, merely simplicity, but done exceedingly well. Warhol wanted to be buried with Beautiful by Lauder; bury me with Skin Bracer

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

One of the earlier wet-shaver fougeres, this one is a surprisingly well made blend of perky menthol (mint) and powdery lavender, followed by a healthy slug of coumarin sweetened with a lick of dry vanilla in the base. It's been called a "proto-Brut," and is often considered too cheap for serious consideration as a personal fragrance, but I think it smells like the first and best in a long lineage of powdery semisweet ferns, and is entirely worthy of every bit of praise given.

CElmlund
CElmlund

If I had a nickel for every splash of Skin Bracer I've thrown on I could buy a bunch of Creed's fragrances. It is probably one of the most refreshing and cooling aftershaves out there besides Osage Rub. Since I've had a beard for years now I mostly use it as an after shower splash in the spring and summer. Everyone should have a bottle.

Castor
Castor

Finaly! Cannot add anything: just the perfect scent.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Skin Bracer sometimes gets a "bad rap" as a "cheap aftershave", but actually it's a wonderful, inexpensive unisex fragrance, in the classic barbershop category.
The mint adds a tad more freshness than some other barbershop colognes, which also makes Skin Bracer an excellent "first layer" for other scents (as another reviewer pointed out).
To keep Skin Bracer from smelling "cheap", please apply to freshly washed skin. DO NOT use it as a "post-workout refresher" without bathing, as I have noticed that it reacts especially poorly on unwashed skin!
I love Skin Bracer (I used to use it in very hot weather when all other scents were too much) and intend to purchase two bottles soon, one for myself and one for my love.

Luna_J
Luna_J

What is it about the 'luxury' status of personal fragrance that manages to tether together both aristocratic pretensions and working class nostalgia? And while my interest in fragrance seems to be informed in no small part by escapist fantasy, I love that I can pluck a $4 bottle of Skin Bracer off the dusty shelf of a rural corner store a short dog walk from my place.

This is what I use as an aftershave, followed by a slap of lavender witch hazel and several spritzes of Pour Un Homme de Caron every morning before heading off to work. The note pyramid above rightly should include both lavender and vanilla, but in any case, it is indeed the menthol that makes this 'bracing', with coumarin providing the cushion and the surprisingly long-lasting touch of musk to give it guts. Even my wife (who seems to sense cheap things at 100 metres) is alright with it...

On a side note: awhile back, I purchased a lovely old art-deco-looking glass aftershave bottle at an antique store. Made by Rawlins (a Canadian door-to-door company from the mid 20th century), it smelled remarkably like Skin Bracer, which suggests that the basic premise for this scent has gone unchanged for at least fifty years... And why not?

omar.melmo
omar.melmo

It's great that classic aftershaves are getting some recognition. This is the father of all the wet shaving classics ! Powdery, minty, musky, sweet.. it's not fancy at all but so comforting. Works great with any classic aromatic fougere (Brut, Paco Rabanne PH, Azzaro, Tsar, Kouros, etc.) as well as gourmands and chyprés (works great with Chanel pour monsieur too).. I must grab another bottle of this..

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Mennen SkinBracer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Mennen SkinBracer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify SkinBracer by Mennen. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of SkinBracer by Mennen represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.