Designers » M » Oriental « Groups

Habanita Eau de Parfum Molinard for women

Habanita Eau de Parfum Molinard for women
dislike

Habanita Eau de Parfum Molinard for women Videos
Habanita Eau de Parfum Molinard for women Pictures Habanita Eau de Parfum Molinard for women Pictures

The first fragrance by Molinard, the famous and iconic Habanita, was presented as early as 1921. It is known that it was reformulated in 1988. In 2012, Molinard launches a new reinterpretation of the original in a new bottle and stronger concentration - Habanita Eau de Parfum. The fragrance is described as a mysterious and addictive, both classical and modern, for strong and free-spirited women.

The new edition retains the original features; its strength, sensuality, poetry, richness and oriental notes. The composition containing the same 600 ingredients as the original, only they are distributed in different proportions. At the top, accords of mastic, petit grain and geranium stand out. The main heart notes include ylang-ylang, heliotrope, vetiver, jasmine, mimosa, Centifolia rose, nutmeg from Java and Virginian cedar. The base notes are musk, amber, patchouli, Mysore sandalwood, oak moss and Madagascar vanilla.

The bottle is redesigned as a modern interpretation of the original creation by Rene Lalique. It retains the black color and elegance of the 20s, giving it contemporary rock and roll flair.

Geranium Mastic or Lentisque Petitgrain

Knightsbridge

Habanita Eau de Parfum Fragrance Reviews

DomfromBE
DomfromBE

Un parfum qui confirme l'expression "Less is More".
Il est parfait à petites doses, dans le cou ou sous la chemise, et dure toute la journée. Il semble s'être évanoui et puis un coup de chaud, un mouvement, et c'est une évidence, il est toujours bien là, mais c'est peut-être une autre de ses multiples facettes qui vient se faire sentir.
Molinard a réussi le challenge de moderniser sa pièce maîtresse sans (se) trahir, là où tant de marques en viennent à se discréditer à forces de reformulations aux normes toujours plus strictes de l'IFRA, de Bruxelles et de la rentabilité marketing emballée dans des discours qui ne tiennent pas la route plus de dix minutes.
Et, en plus, ce petit bijou est peu porté (quasi inconnu en Belgique en tout cas) et plutôt abordable.
Parfaitement unisexe, pour caractère affirmé, de jour comme de nuit, sous les draps ou au bureau... Et sa Cologne la complète très bien pour les beaux jours ou vaporisée sur les vêtements.

joe70062
joe70062

Habanita. Baby powder, mixed with vanilla, mixed with Amber?? It's not bad by any stretch. I do like it. I want to say it's the new formula because my last bottle was a scrubber without redeeming quality. Drydown is all powder and a resin. I can't catch leather, though I wanted it so badly. As with the incense I crave. No dice. The hype is as enormous as the silage. Try before you buy. This one's not for everybody.

EDIT...I have worn this almost every day since purchase. It's so easy to wear. I still stand by my original opinion that's it's not for everyone. Not everyone loves powder, which is THE standout note.

laurniko
laurniko

God, this is really good. When I first smelled it I was really sad because it was so SHARP and...jabby? It was like stepping on a burr. But then it dried down for a mere minute and it was powdery, woodsy heaven, and I am buying a bottle immediately.

If they still scented cigarettes with this I would take up smoking again in a second. It's vanilla and powder but it's for a woman, not a girl. If you like sweet vanilla perfumes, turn away, cause this bad bitch ain't for you. Weirdly, this is more of a Bad Bitch perfume to me than Bandit is, because the powder and vanilla remind me of a heavily made up flapper in the twenties, but one who's been up dancing, smoking, and drinking with the dudes in a wooden humidor for hours. She's the lady who "entertained" Prohibition business men, this is something Zelda Fitzgerald would have worn.

I love it. Buy it, if you like smoke and woods and vanillics and powders just buy it - it isn't too expensive it's truly a piece of history, reformulations be damned! THIS smells like the 20's!

EDIT: I brought a sample of this, SL MKK, and Bandit on a trip and I wore this the most. It seems pretty versatile and I had no problem wearing this to work.

emi_artist
emi_artist

Attempting a review of Habanita, in whatever concentration, is like trying to describe Greta Garbo's beauty, or, more fittingly, Amelia Earhart or Mata Hari. Strong, haunting women who could command a room, a plane, the secret service, an alcove, the universe.

Impossible to forget the start of Habanita in 1921, a perfume designed to go well with cigars and women smokers (NOT a perfume which smells of cigars/cigarettes/smoke, NB this is very important as the perfume name is somehow misleading) , like a complementary aroma to the tobacco lover or the frequenter of tobacco-filled speakeasies or bars. A perfume from another time.

I have worn on and off as a "signature" perfume all of Habanita's versions I could find: vintage EDC, vintage EDT, modern EDT, pure parfum, and this latest EDP.
Without delving into the minute detail of each formulation, suffice to say that this modern EDP has been fine tuned to a modern nose, but only just. The mother of all orientals is still there with her alluring, make-people-faint headturning scent.

In Susan Irvine's underestimated Perfume Guide, where perfumes are graded according to strength, Habanita is the last one: the strongest, the one that turns it all up to 11.

Old advertisement of the time when it was created said it was "the most persistent perfume in the world".

The EDT and EDC have a sharper opening which to me is equally pleasant, before settling happily into oriental comfort.

I had men literally kneel at my feet smelling this. People stopping me in the street. Elbow nudging at the cinema. Women saying I was taking up all the attention by wearing this. But also: people being overwhelmed, or feeling like it was just too much, too unsettling.

If one could have imagined what Cleopatra must have smelled like, this was probably it.

This is a perfume that definitely does not go unnoticed.

An oriental in its purest sense, abstract from all the notes it is a sum of , which is also why it's hard to pinpoint any one of them. It could be the geranium, or the Madagascan vanilla making an appearance, but its combination of sharp, comforting and downright HOT notes defies any description.

A perfume you only need one drop to last you for days.

The scent of a seductress, who also turns out to be a PhD in astrophysics, a Michelin star chef and an award winning artist.

This is the scent of power in female form.

Polica
Polica

"The story about enchanting iris and heliotrope" - Chapter 8

HABANITA

I was looking for my new smoky oriental for quite some time, and now I have Habanita.
It is not as smoky-incensed as I wished it to be (though I feel and really enjoy the mastic layer), but oh... she doesn't need to be, because she has me, and - thanks to Fragrantica - I've got head over heals.

I haven't tried the vintage EDT, so I can't talk about it, but all the reviewers who wrote that this version (reformulated, EDP) of Habanita didn't lose the vintage feel, are absolutely right.

Habanita is smooth, incredibly warm and aromatic, quite powdery (and I fall for heliotrope-powdery orientals) and divinely leathery.

In fact, Habanita's aromatic leather “bought” me.

It is the most beautiful kind of leather: high-class leather, very firm but at the same time very soft, and with some “worn” feel to it - like some worn vintage leather is kept for a long, long time in unopened wooden box with vanilla, mastic, powder and some fine, unrefined naturally dried tobacco leaves on a side.

In the drydown, Habanita is soooo deep, rich and divinely rounded, without being too much, or too loud, and also somehow warmly soft on my skin.
Absolutely wearable.

There should be some other word for orientals like Habanita, some which won't have "east" (orient) in it, some which will embrace tobacco, leather, and skin complex - Habanita is just that marvellous.

I'm so looking forward to winter months, but I'll test it on a warmer weather too.

I'm in love.

* love
* longevity: long lasting (up to 12 hours)
* silage: moderate (arms lenght)
__________________________________________________
- personal attachment - if you are not interested, just skip it, please.

“!”

And look, here it comes again: !
Exclamation marks go to the fact that Habanita is the first perfume I bought solely thanks to Fragrantica's input.

I didn't know Habanita existed, I surfed my way trough the reviews in Fragrantica to discover it.

Then came curiosity.
Then came the feeling of wanting.
Then came doubt and questioning.
After that came resolvement of doubts in a form of 3 ml original tester and scented card.
Then another exclamation or two (there's three: !!!).
Then came the second time, and the third, plus a lot of sniffing scented card in between.
Then more self-questioning and rationalizing (“Yes, I know I don't actually need it, but...” “Ok, fine - 30 ml or 75?”)
At that time I was more or less prepared to “go steady” and “go public” with Habanita.
Then came the answer (“Heck!”).

And then - after all those steps of, I suppose, very common process of starting a relationship with the new perfume “that your friends set you up with” - came a bottle of 75 ml EDP.

I will probably have it for next five years, or next five wrinkles on my face, or maybe until my son starts high school - it's not like I'm measuring time of 75 ml Habanita...but - that long.
And that is great, because this is for sure going to be long-term relationship.

I guess that makes me now a true Fragrantica member, and as far as this Habanita chapter of my life-scented story is concerned - this much content is quite enough.

Except: !

PS

Wanted to tell you more about the unique “first time feeling” of wearing anticipated, wanted, waited perfume and compare it more expressively with the sensation of the first touch with a lover-to-be.
But oh... It is still so present and vivid, I'm on a very start of new relationship, and I still haven't figure out my own name for Habanita, and I have to play by the rules because she is exactly the kind of perfume that has to have mine, so - nope.

But I did something else - I put all those exclamation marks: they are like t-h-a-t great smile when we refuse to tell “how was it”...

!!!

... and we just smile and say something neutral instead. Something like:

Thank you, Fragrantica friends, for setting me up with Habanita.

whiscious
whiscious

I was on the fence about this when I first bought it so I gave it to my mom. I liked its woodsy bittersweet quality but I found it too powdery. Now I've figured out how to make Habanita EDP work for me by mixing it with Margiela's By the Fireplace to bring out the smoky sweet side and tone down the powder. That combination smells the way I imagined Habanita smelling based on descriptions and it makes me feel like a sexy flapper smoking in a speakeasy.

Kione
Kione

I love the top notes but quickly after it reminds me to
Agua Brava that my great-uncle had when I was little, which in my oinion is awful. It only reminds me of it so I can still see its appeal, but I can't get past the Agua Brava vibe.

Ádám.molitorisz
Ádám.molitorisz

A female assasin.
Dark, potent, strong, sexual, deadly.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

For some unknown reason, Fragrantica keeps putting my reviews under guest. The review below is once again, mine.

Well, I finally bought Habanita. For over a year I had been thinking of adding this gem to my collection. I had never met the `Dark Lady` and this was going to be a blind buy for me. I am so glad that I finally hit that buy button. I am in love with this beautiful perfume. A wonderful blend of smoky incense, powder, vanilla and pure heaven in a bottle. The bottle is a work of art as well. Habanita, you have stolen my heart, and I am so happy that you did.

jmiro7
jmiro7

Habanita is gorgeous dark and powdery. The top notes are divine and quite floral. The vanilla-vetiver accord in the base dominates and I am glad it does. Good overall performance!

Duskfall
Duskfall

Habanita EdP smells quite nice when sprayed in the air: sweet vintage powder with a smoky touch. However, my skin turns it into a disaster and all I get is a bitter explosion of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). I'm sad to say that it's pretty much unwearable for me. The performance appears to be good, though.

ana.rădoi
ana.rădoi

What a masterpiece! How dark and sensual but still powdery and light.. I am in love! Best blind buy ever!

Ni_juu_nana
Ni_juu_nana

Welcome, Habanita, I`ve heard so much about you! Your bottle is a piece of art, your character is dark and wild and louder than me but somehow I am totally in love with you.

La_Vie_En_Rose
La_Vie_En_Rose

This was a very pleasant surprise! A just because gift, my favorite kind! I opened the wrap to a fragrance I had never heard of. Open the box and pulled out the most beautiful bottle. Very intriguing matt black glass that almost looks like an actual stone carving. I sprayed the fragrance in all my usual places 4 sprays in all... immediately I'm in love with this... how can that be? Soft around the edges, but dark, smoky and sensual at the core Habanita EDP is an experience. I have never come across anything quite like this fragrance. Absolutely divine from the start and all through the dry down and it lasts and lasts. Thank you my love for this beautiful experience called Habanita!

TillyWave
TillyWave

Habanita Poudree Seche

A reformulation done right, this stuff is awesome. I liked the original Habanita, as a reference perfume, but mostly it smelled like rubber cement + fresh band aids on me. I couldn't get past the rubber bandaids part, and the original perfume remained in the reference category (ie interesting but unwearable) until I swapped it.

Anyway I swapped again for the new Habanita, and this is a Habanita done right. This is dark, dirty, animalic, sexy stuff. It lasts forever with 3 sprays and it is extremely affordable. It is a perfect mix of old school sass with new age niche snobby sensibility.

Overriding this all is powder. Dark dry skanky powder overrides everything. On the topnotes I smell powder paired with a fresh pair of patent leather shoes. The drydown is slow, and occasionally I can smell, among the fading patent leather, a strong incense note that weaves in and out, a faraway burning resinous amber, a seductive spicy nutmeg, a hint of honeyed rose, and then a pure vanilla.

The drydown is pure skanky/sexy dry powder, patent leather, woods, incense, and vanilla. It is so...of the skin, worn in, no deodorant, fleshy, scantily clad, Habanita. There it is.

OdorMiris
OdorMiris

Very nice, but I can't help thinking of Kanon Norwegian Wood...the sandalwood/vanilla thing...or is it me?

Madrona
Madrona

It's... how do I even begin to describe this? I am currently sniffing the 2012 version after leaving it to dry on paper overnight. First off, the bottle is very appropriate - this scent reads pitch black to me. When I first sprayed it yesterday I remember thinking that it smelled like straight up tar, now, I am getting associations of gasoline, new car seats, rubber, burnt plastic, chili, liquorice, salmiac, cinnamon... at the same time there is this refined vanillic ambery sweetness to it that is incredibly moreish, and I keep smelling it just to try to figure out what the hell is going on in this one.

It's a love.

krissykatpawz81
krissykatpawz81

This is very dark,mysterious & addicting...I don't know why I like it so much,its like a chalky powdery smoke of incense, with vanilla but like the powder of makeup,its like a sweet smoke if that makes any sense,the longevity is amazing, it lasts & lasts.It would be perfect to wear to a costume party,it reminds me of a party,sweet&smoky,like It lures you in like a spell&your supposed to stay away&can't,I don't know when I'm supposed to wear it yet I want to,its like one of those perfumes, I own because I liked the bottle&also vintage,yet I find this addicting&weird,mysterious.Its like a spell in a bottle stay away lol

Lipglossjunkee
Lipglossjunkee

I purchased this out of curiosity and great hope---I wanted to know how it would stack up to my eau de toilette of Habanita that I have and adore---and my great hope is that I'd be getting another gem to add to my collection.
I am not disappointed. This is glorious. Warm, ambery, powdery (but not overly so). There's no leather in the note matrix and I don't get as much leathery vibe as I did from the EDT--but it's just as amazing. Sweet and still has that smoky feel. And a bit of woody vetiver in there mixing with the heliotrope, giving a bite to the creaminess of it. One spray is all you need for hours of wear. This is a timeless treasure and I love it.

synergypsy
synergypsy

Habanita is a fragrance of time, but more importantly, of place. Or places. And things. Places and things the "hoi polloi" could not know, could not afford. Therefore, it's a fragrance of social status, and one that predates the Roaring 20s. It has strong Victorian roots.

It arises from experiences and the material things that only the most wealthy could afford. Vanderbilts, Astors, who predate the "liberated" females of the 20s. That particular class were "liberated" by incredible wealth well prior.

This is a fragrance of mansions built with imported stone complete with ballrooms. Gentlemen's clubs to which the ladies were invited during the day, if accompanied. Of smoking rooms, first-class steamship cruises and the exotic places they took one to. Of new automobiles and driving gloves. Of lipstick, face powders and rouge that was scandalous to the lower and middle classes.

Habanita, like the "old money" that brought us the Industrial Revolution, was ahead of its time. There are strong hints at what was to follow: Je Riviens, Tabu, Bandit, Bal a Versailles, even Ambush.

So, to me, this was and is the smell of money and all that it could buy at that time. The fragrance is not modern by any measure of the fragrances of today. But neither is it frankly dated. Is it timeless? Possibly. Because it evokes the passage of time, if that makes any sense.

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

This is a bit of a conundrum. Ok, so Habanita has been recreated but I still feel that I am getting a glimpse into another era when I inhale it on my wrist. I use the word "glimpse" deliberately. If you are on this site, you are by definition sensitive to the evocative power of scent. it conjures up emotions, moments from our emotional history. Habanita lets me see into a time and place before I was born, and I can't explain why, but there's a visual component to this. Here's what I get from Habanita:
Ł
There is a whiff of tobacco in the mix. It isn't like someone smoking next to you, it's more like being in a room where someone was smoking earlier, and I can see her shiny black bob, her emerald flapper dress trimmed with black lace and her long jade earrings swinging either side of her face as she bends to put the needle into the groove and dances a few steps to the ragtime rhythm of the gramophone. There is a powderiness as she reaches into her tiny leather purse for her compact, and as she dances, cloves and woods breathe from her skin and mingle with powder and the leather, and the smoke from the cigarette in her long jet holder.

But, but, but ... the vanilla is too sweet for me. The clove, the incense, the balsamic notes and the woods are marvellous. I don't get the floral notes at all. The powdery notes really work for me. If only it wasn't so sweet.

I had an interesting experience at work with Habanita that reminded me just how much human beings are subconsciously affected by scent. I adore vintage perfumes. I have worn Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit for years. My current favourite is Baghari. So maybe people around me have become accustomed to a certain style of perfume when I walk into a room. I have only just bought Habanita and I had it delivered to my office. On the day I first got it, late in the day, hours after I had tried it, a colleague appeared in my doorway. "I knew you were still here when I came onto this floor because I could smell your perfume". This from the most prosaic of men and he DIDN'T mean I'd drenched myself in enough to float a battleship.

It's the trait others have commented on: Habanita lingers. When you walk into the room, you know she was there and her presence still whispers to you. You might not like everything about her, but this is a fully-formed personality, an undeniable presence, and whether I like it or not a colleague thought it was MY presence. So I don't think I have a choice on this one - I have to learn to live with her.

Kalitera
Kalitera

Habanita... i still cannot tame you!
You are strong-charactered and particular. One of those who never sacrifice wisdom to diplomacy. You like to dance and smoke. And when you laugh... everyone stops in awe and starts laughing too. This is who you are - loud and strong, you fill the whole room with your presence, you are a statement of self-sufficiency! I hope I can approach you one day, but just not yet...

mounen
mounen

New version. Incredibly good. I think I must like old fashioned perfumes, because I find this scent delicious.
I get something like amber incense (I think), and vanilla, and patchouli? Turning to floral after an hour or so
If it was designed to scent cigarettes I think people must have been constantly taking a cig out the box just to inhale the smell

I sprayed this on my skin eight hours ago and can still smell it, that's what I call staying power

Museumgal
Museumgal

This is extremely powdery. The Vanilla is just a touch sweet but mostly powder. The original formulation had a much sweeter Vanilla. There's a hint of smoke and leather but nothing like the original. This is more of a powdery make up scent, like the leather in jolie madam. The original is much stronger, like smoking in a dark bar with leather seats. This formula is more polite, like a lady putting makeup on before slipping on leather gloves.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I could not be happier! I had a couple of years ago the older version but swapped it out only to regret it almost immediately. The only problem I had with the older formulation was that it lasted MAYBE an hour. Not only does the "reformulation" smell just as good but OMG! I have had it on since yesterday about 5 pm and its 3 pm and I still smell it! Thank you Molinard. I will always love you!

myram7
myram7

When I ordered this from ljshopping.com, I selected the older bottle EDT and was shipped the EDP, newer bottle. So, I tried it anyway...it's a Molinard...how wrong can it get? On initial spray, it's a STRONG woodsy floral, but I LIKE it! Then comes the leather (YUM!) and the soft, floral powder. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! Best mistake, EVER! Definite KEEPER!

Rose Arella Back
Rose Arella Back

My go to fragrance. Daily wear for me, although I don't consider this my signature. It's superb.

Milladane
Milladane

Sweet resin, spice, amber, herbs, woods, powder, flowers, smoke, and all the dark sultry stuff you can find on earth, mixed into a bottle, give you Habanita. I purchased the EDP after reading your reviews that it was a good reformulation, and was relieved that in order to try this scent, I didn't always have to seek the older formulation sitting around for years.

It is a deep, complex, and lovely perfume, and I have worn it several dozens of times, but I can't seem to form an emotional connection with it. It just doesn't put a spark in my brain. (This would have been perfect to wear to a swanky bar with dark paneling and red lights! Oh, well, I don't go to those places anymore anyway.) Plus it doesn't stay on my skin all that long, just a few hours. I guess there is a lack of chemistry between us. It happens with people, so I guess it can happen with perfume.

freakypirate
freakypirate

Habanita EdP opens with sharp resins and a bit of petitgrain. I also smell sweet nutmeg. The scent turns sweeter and I smell ylang as well. The scent becomes powdery, I smell jasmine and heliotrope. The mastic resins are still there, they are moving to the base of this scent now. They are still quite harsh and power up the scent at this point. After half an hour, the scent changes again and becomes very sweet on me. The resins have now moved completely to the background and the focus is on the sweeter notes of this perfume, sweet and very dark. A mix of cedar, sandalwood and patchouli gives the scent a lot of power underneath the powdery sweetness of vanilla and vanillin. It even smells a bit smoky and leathery to me.

Performance is awesome on me. Sillage is moderate to heavy, longevity long. Don't overspray, a little goes a long way.

Totally hooked on this scent, wow! I love the complexity, the changes it undergoes as it develops, the sweetness of the vanilla powder, the harshness of the resins, the spices. Everything. And the bottle, lovely black matte with Lalique design, beautiful! Habanita is a lady with an edge. My new favorite.

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

I once owned Habinita De Molinard in the 80's. I only remember the indescribable scent. So, seeing this, I thought I'd try it. The only similarities I sense is oddly unusual and distinct. I sprayed each of my wrists yesterday morning. Umpteen hours later, not only is the smell still on my wrists, it's in the air. Amazing. It's shocking at first spray. I felt like "what the heck kind of perfume is this?". It's confusing and baffling. It's hard to make sense of. Shortly thereafter it mellows into a dry powdery incense. It has the good qualities of Chanel #5, not the bad ones. I thought o my, this is going to be so strong and I'm going to get a migraine. But it does something I didnt expect. I love it.

nexangelus
nexangelus

One of the loudest, weirdest openings ever. I almost scrubbed it immediately. Got busy doing other things and a total mellowing into baby powder. Just lots of soft powder which is lovely I am sure if you like powder. I like slight powdering, this is a powder bomb!

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

It is really complex perfume, for my nose it is a mixture of Mitsouko, Shalimar and Black by Bvlgari. A bit harsh at the opening, that might not everyone's taste...but if you give this time to develop, you will find one of the most beautiful powdery note, and I really thanks to my friend who gave me this!

Angeldaisy
Angeldaisy

EDIT: this is beautiful btw. i don't think i mentioned that in my review from a while back:

they're in the church, at the wedding and she sniffs as she opens her new soft leather bag to retrieve his cotton hanky engraved with H.
Habanita is the inside of her new leather handbag into which has been tipped her grandma's powder compact and some red lipstick, half a packet of custard creams, a vanilla ice cream wrapper and her husband's old tie.
they are treating the new fence outside with creosote and in it wafts through an open window as the couple up front say their vows.
...new leather, makeup powder, creamy vanilla, a wellworn man tie and wood tar...and did i mention the big brown poodle waiting in the entrance with saw dust in his wool?...he sniffs the air and creosote, brushes the potted geranium with his tail, licks his chops remembering the wrapper and jangles his leather dog leash, which smells of his owner's Habanita and the whole thing begins all over again......
"i do" they say.
and there she is again...Habanita is the veil of inside the vintage car they climb into, a bouquet of colourful flowers adorning the back windowsill wilting in the sun, decades of bridal powdery perfumes, and a panting poodle on hot leather seats....as the oily engine starts up and off they go....

i am on the creosoted fence on this one...as it is far from my original EDT. but i think i like it a lot.
and yes, i agree with HeavyBeatsUK......this is INTENSIVE leather on powder.
leather should be in the notes here.

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

The first thing I smell in this is leather. I'm surprised it's not in the notes list. It seems to be strong rubbery leather sitting in a pile of powder. Someone recommended this as a baby powder scent but I would not say this smells like baby powder because of the leather smell.

Juliana6
Juliana6

This is the perfume I wear in a special mood, it's for those times I want to spend some time with myself alone, to sit still and listen to the silence. It takes some time to really appreciate this perfume, for this is complex, unique, mysterious and even saint. For me there's something spiritual in this scent. Like you entered an empty church, the candle flames are burning slowly without moving, the sun rays come through the colorful vitrails, and there are flowers in tall glass vases on the altar or next to it. There's been a church service, and you feel some light, aromatic, very subtle and expensive encens lingering in the air. And that church transforms into an artistic creation, a performance. And it's not connected with any religion at all.
The opening can be described as a quite strong vetiver and vanilla mixture with something balsamic, earthy, aromatic ( now I know it's mastic). In about 5 minutes it settles down and my soul starts celebrating - a well rounded, soft, unusual and feminine combination of already mentioned ingredients + subtle, fresh flowers touches my nose. I smell some aromatic powder... not like an usual cosmetics scent, but something more, something noble.
The base -expensive, slightly burnt woods with some flower notes left over from the heart stage, soft, mild roses and dark vanilla, nothing sweet here, but so, so tempting, so very attractive, even cozy and sometimes sinfully sensual too. A mystery. Long lasting, changing all the time, something to discover over and over.
Today it's foggy, I went for a walk and sprayed this on my silk scarf. The fog, this perfume, the whispering and invisible (because of that fog) Baltic sea, me and my thoughts. My sanctuary.

Iolobach
Iolobach

After reading much about Molinard's Habanita I decided to give it ago. However, as a perfume purist I knew I that it could only be the vintage version. Luckily, I scored a clear, flat glass bottle, with the flat glass stopper, usually attributed to the wartime 40s, embossed with the M and laurel wreath. It really wasn't anything like I expected it to be.

The opening is heavy and sweet on my skin. Dark, thick vanilla plays the most prominent role. Within a few minutes a herbal, medicinal quality rises, like syrupy cough mixture. Slowly tobacco blooms, but the tobacco of freshly rolled unlit cigars. I get the merest suggestion of soft, buttery leather on occasion. The heart opens as a warm spicy, ambery incense, undulating with the vanilla. Sweetness remains but more tempered now, languid and sultry. It reminds me vaguely of vintage Shocking, where the honey is replaced by vanilla.

I like it - a lot and will wear it. But nothing will replace my signature - Shocking. I'd love this more if it had a real skank factor. It needs a heavy dose of civet to really vamp it up. It's a little too genteel. May be I started on the wrong foot. Vintage Bandit was my first leather fragrance and nothing can compare to that dry beast.

The dry down is gorgeous spicy vanilla, warm and comforting. To my mind this is not a leather fragrance, but it is a damn good vanilla, not gourmandy but rich, warm and languorous.

For some reason I picture Marlene Dietrich singing "I'm the Laziest Girl in Town" whenever I smell this.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Habanita, you are one potent fume!

I find the first hour to be somewhat overpowering - and that is with one single spritz! Then again, my inclination goes towards skin scents, so that certainly is colouring my opinion.

I get the overall tabacco and leather feel, but I don't think my skin and Habanita are a good match. There is a certain skank that I do not quite like. After about 3 hours, a beautiful powdery dry down emerges, unlike anything I've smelled. I will give it a couple more tries, but I'm just not sure I am ready to wait that long for the magic to happen.

On a final note, it reminds me (in a very strange way) of Traversée du Bosphore, minus the Turkish delight. I found TdB unbearably nauseating. At least Habanita does not have that effect on me.

juji
juji

I just recieved this in a lovely swap from luna rebel! I have to say that Habanita is NOT the old dragon I was expecting after reading SO many reviews and opinions! Goodness! I think it's just lovely smoke and powder, and actually seem to get a lot of rose coming through. I'll have to give a few more wearings to get the full effect but for now, after my first several sprays I am in Heaven to finally have such a historical beautiful perfume!

MsBacall
MsBacall

It totally reminds me of a vintage perfume. It is a pure powder bomb on my skin. It's like sexy smoky sweet baby powder. I am in love. Now, this is not for those who hate powdery scents. This wouldn't be your friend. This one is more of an acquired taste, but to me, people who love this scent, are people I want to be friends with.

I love the opening. Vibrant and intense. I can feel the 1920s girl come alive in me. The dry down is quite lovely. A soft musk and amber wrapped in smoke, vanilla, and luscious powder. New fave! The bottle is exquisite, too!

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

To my nose, a less 'thick and powdery' version of the original Habanita. Very brave of the perfumers, as this is by no means your average new release!

Calling it Perfume - versus the original's status as EDT - may be somewhat misleading, since the modern Perfume is less strong than it's predecessor. The Perfume is a different ode in the same vein, yet sufficiently bombastic and old fashioned to bring Joy to my heart!

I admire BOTH Habanitas, but it seems to me that this one is the unisex version of the original EDT. It could be more easily worn by both genders, based on it's less rich, boudoir feeling. Less Ladies' Dressing Table Powder and more Mastic and Geranium.... Does anyone else feel the same way?

As a current release - FIVE stars. :D

Note - In relation to it's venerable predecessor, I personally feel it to be 4 stars. But that is my opinion only, and certainly no reproach to the house of Molinard. Working with the limited pallet today's tyrannical IFRA allow, they have done very well indeed!

vmarshmellow
vmarshmellow

I feel like I am smelling the wrong perfume! I am not sure if my sample is the original or the edp.

What I have is soft. Soft baby powder, soft leather, a touch of soft musk. It went on sour but dried down quickly. From comments and reviews I was expecting a powerhouse. This is a soft inoffensive scent. It is really growing on me.

Update: Wearing this again I could not escape noticing the beautiful tobacco which is not listed in the notes. Also I did determine by review of samples for sale that I do indeed have the edp version. I NEED a bottle of this edp!

swetilik
swetilik

One of the works of art, art object, the bottle and its contents. Perfume, which can decorate women and men. It is only necessary to make a step forward, take it out, open your heart to him.
I accepted it immediately, at first it seemed gloomy, dark and heavy. Only with time I open it sensual tender heart ... on a background of viscous resinous balsamic base notes sound clearly fragile flowers, oriental spices and succulent leaves. The aroma is revealed slowly, requiring heat, sun, revealing all its beauty for a few hours, showing her not only the carrier of flavor, but also to others, creating a trail of intermittent, short but expressive so that makes turn to extend it.

juzme
juzme

I have added Shocking edp by Schiaparelli on the list of "reminds me of" ,but I have to mention that it is the newest version in the torso bottle.
The box is pink and golden at the bottom. High quality by Parfums de Marque.

Henriette
Henriette

Well, if on this earth there's a good reformulation, where you find intact the same spirit of the original EdT that's HABANITA.
So it is possible, it is humanly possible to maintain the spirit of the original without ruining it.

Truly, look no further, this EdP is as marvellous as her mate EdT, I would scream it to the world and would cry when I smell some ruined long lost beauties.

Never to forget that Habanita is not an easy scent, it is not for everyone, some would cringe at its audacity, but for those who love it, there it is, intact in her beauty.

I am relieved: my old EdT bottle is near being emptied and I am so happy I can go on wearing and enjoying it without the worry to stock up.
Now let's hope the new batches to come will remain as it is nowadays.
Join in the happy dance!!!

golinka
golinka

It was a hate at first sniff... This is how 1950s smell for me, although awesome and postwar burlesque, the vanilla kills it for me! Gorgeous tobacco is sweetened with balsamic something and hated vanilla acts as nockout. My grandma was wearing Habanita at some time, and since I adored my nana, I tried to love it :( very good staying power, after shower and some serious scrubbing with Dawn, still ready to chop off my arms elbows below... For out of this era woman, I'm sure

mrsg34
mrsg34

I bought this without testing after reading the reviews on here.My first impression was that it was a rather masculine smelling fragrance, quite strong and I must admit it smelt musky/old? I didn't give this a fair chance today so I am going to try it again tomorrow because although I have not fallen in love with this scent straight away something is intruiging me!

No I have given this another shot today and it's not for me which is unfortunate as I bought the 75ml bottle :( It made me feel quite sickly today, I found it to be terribly heavy for me anyway.On reading the reviews I gather that this is a love/hate scent and although I'm not a hater I do dislike it.

lila_says
lila_says

I just received this as a blind-buy. It smells on my skin the way the original Opium smells on my mum. Not quite the scent I was expecting, but I do enjoy its darkness and masculinity.

emily7
emily7

Nice reformulation - for a change - I had and loved the old Habanita, so I expected to be disappointed in this new EDP, but I really like it! Indeed it smells no different to my nose, except it lacks the overwhelming, nuclear sillage and longevity of the EDT - actually an advantage since top notes and the sweetness were sometimes really hard to endure... This Habanita is more mellow and tamer, yet strong enough to last through the day. The price is also quite reasonable, so no need hunting down old bottles with already inflated online prices...

lipglossandabackpack
lipglossandabackpack

I'd incorrectly posted this under the eau de toilette but realized my bottle was an eau de parfum. This was a blind buy based on your recommendations, and I will be eternally grateful! All the florals wafted away within minutes, and I spent the rest of my morning... and afternoon... and evening... in a dreamy haze of baby powder, smoked vanilla and musk. I don't see it listed above, but I still get the tobacco and leather notes listed under the eau de toilette. This is a perfume for a girl in a cashmere sweater who wants to curl up on her boyfriend's lap as he reads a tattered old hardcover book in the study. I'm on hour thirteen and I'm still in love with my own scent, but at no point during the day did I suspect that the perfume was strong enough to even be noticed by those nearby. Any age, any season, Habanita is versatile and unique.

After owning this for about a year I traveled to Havana, and was surprised to actually smell Habanita in the streets. It wasn't that other women were wearing it, it was that Habanita captures the actual smells of Havana (which, for obvious reasons, hasn't changed much since the perfume was introduced). If you have a chance to visit Havana make sure to familiarize yourself with this scent first, and then keep your nose peeled as you walk down some of the city's less-traveled streets and alleys!

zucchera
zucchera

Well well well, it was love at first sniff when I got Habanita. It was one of my best blind buys so far, so good buy that I think that Habanita is my signature scent, no I don´t think......it is my signature scent now.

As I wrote to a fellow fragrantican: " Habanita can at first be rather strong, but the dry down is fabulous. It feels like I´m embraced with a sweet dark smoky powdery vanilla, It sits really close to skin on me. Don´t think I can smell the leather so much but for me it doesent matter, I just love powdery perfumes. Habanita is rather sweet, but I don´t think its that kind of bubble gum sweet its more a darker sweetnes, powdery vanilla "

It's a heavy oriental but the dry down comes very quick and then it just embraces me with powdery musky vanilla. The Tobacco and leather doesen´t reveal on me.

The longevity and sillage is 5 out of 5 as for the perfume it self.

Habanita is an old-fashioned yet modern perfume, for me it makes me feel sensual every time I wear it.

Planet_X
Planet_X

For sampling Habanita I want to thank you, Ditta)
And I promise you it will be in my collection as its a Character.
Habanita for me is Monica Bellucci in movie Malena – perfect, sensual, strong, but..lonely.
It's easy to admire the beauty but not for everyone's eyes to see what's behind.
I used to read reviews and imagine leather or tobacco – not a hint of those to me.
Resinous from mastic, has somewhat animalic quality of resin, very human-y as a bare skin, surrounded by vanilla, geranium and nutmeg. I guess that's how I prefer vanilla – not to be sweet but flowery-balsamic. Again its oily, lipsticky, a bit on heavy side of everything
This specific smell of mastic, nutmeg and geranium is what makes Habanita so unique, - on profanic language it would be described as a “tar with rose oil and spices”
4.9 from 5

Maodo
Maodo

I see that there is no leather note added. Does anybody miss that? In the old Habanita EDT the leather note is a VIP. The EDT launched in the twenties got famous for that reason. I really like to know before considering a purchase of either EDT or EDP.
A real Habanita should smell at least a bit leathery IMO. Or is this complete nonsense?

wendyyparty

Compare EDP Habanita to Amouage Memoir for Woman?

Definitely nothing to compare, Memoir is all about incents, warm, spicy, and very cosy. While Habanita is heavy, very strong vanille leathery (less aggressive than the EDT but still...)

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

disclaimer: hopefully i am reviewing the correct version of habanita. i got a sample online after reading that debi mazar (apparently) wears this and was intrigued by the bottle.

it starts out strong and kind of smelling like bathroom cleaner, which then turns to hairspray. i know this won't last however and i am patient! there was something sweet for just a moment, but it seemed to disappear quickly, maybe it was the mastic? i can't place it. anyway after a couple minutes it's a primarily vanilla, vetiver and cedar scent on me, but it does have something that smells a bit like baby powder coming out, which other reviewers seem to attribute to the vanilla. a little bit later and the florals start to peek through, but then quickly disappear again and i am left with slightly woody/smoky baby powder. after even more time passes out comes a slightly sweet floral but i can't place it...maaaybe it's mimosa? however, again it doesn't stay around long and just goes back to being very baby powdery on me. maybe it's my skin chemistry, but i wish i got more of those florals in this, but sadly, it's just not happening for me. the florals seem to come and go and don't last as long as i would like.

boruvka44

Exenidi - I don´t find Habanita EDP similar to Memoir. On me, Memoir smells similar to Bal a Versailles. Balsamic, woody sweet, pretty strong, no tobacco either leather. I´ts just my experience tho :)

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Heavy oriental, border line unpleasant, tobacco heavy oriental opening, dryers into lighter oriental, such famous perfume, but there is nothing for me, can't appreciate anything here. Not very lasting. Edp.

Exenidi
Exenidi

Could anyone please compare EDPHabanita to Amuage Memoir for Woman? Both have strong leather presence, otherwise, any other resemblances?

boruvka44

I´m impressed, didn´t expect it to be so good.
Even though it is EDP, the old EDT is the stronger one, heavier, sweeter...
This EDP has only about one third of the sweetness and it´s kind of woody "sweet", not powdery, as the original one. It´s probably the mastic (i really smell cedar in it, or quality bitter creamy lemon candies).
There is still a lot of the typical warm tobacco, dominant in EDT (coumarin). Here with nutmeg. Nothing strong, it doesn´t smell like the inside of a kitchen drawer. The nutmeg along with bitter aroma of geranium flower makes the whole composition a little bit picant and lighter.
Sandalwood, vetiver and oakmoss are equally balanced.
On skin it lasts some hours, on fabric for days, sillage is nothing extra.
I like that the EDP smells like the base of the EDT, right after the head notes fade. Just lighter and more fresh and natural.
Those, who find the original Habanita too sweet and heavy, but still like its tobacco and warm sandalwood, might be satisfied with this EDP.
For me it´s a nice surprise, very good job. It´s not the old heavy Habanita, but it definitely isn´t mainstream.
And they smell VERY similar to me.

lvscents
lvscents

Absolutely beautiful! I spray this on my tummy and the scent meanders around me all day long .. wisps of warm powdery incense .. deeply reassuring .. spicy and sweet .. smoky and sexy .. gorgeous!
A lovely Fragrantica Lady kindly sent me a sample of the EDT. The EDT and this EDP are different, but similar in terms of how much I love them!
Wow! I think I may have at long last found my signature!
Enjoy x

christianne1
christianne1

Okay, I am a Habanita freak and only had the EDT (two bottles from different periods) until this week. After reading some negative reviews on the new EDP version, I didn't even see any need to purchase it. Until my friend got it and raved about it so I decided to give it a try. And I could not possibly be more pleased!!

This stuff smells fantastic! It is like it goes straight to the glorious Habanita dry down without an hour or two waiting period like with the EDT. As much as I love my Habanita EDT, I have to admit the first half hour is nuclear level potency. But I suffer through it for the heavenly dry down. It is WELL worth it!!!! But for times when I feel like wearing Habanita but don't have two hours to let it air out and "brew" so I can leave the house, the EDP is the PERFECT alternative! You could even re-apply it during the day without clearing out an entire building. I would never consider spraying my regular Habanita in my car or anywhere outside of my home but the EDP is something you can actually spray without anyone hitting the floor or calling 911.

It DOES smell like Habanita, just a softened and more modernized version. It pretty much bypasses the entire opening of the original and goes straight to the dry down. For those who have never tried Habanita, I would strongly suggest starting with the EDP version. It is sort of like Habanita training wheels. But it is so beautiful you may not even have a need to venture to the EDT. The only draw back is you do not get to experience the transformation from opening to dry down like you get with the original. The EDT is more of an experience. But the EDP bottle is more attractive and modern so that is a nice plus. I am SO glad I finally decided to try it. Could not possibly be more pleased, especially after expecting to be really let down.

386Vintage
386Vintage

Crazy Scent ! A Great Winter/Cooler Weather Scent. Tried in Warm weather gives one a Strong~ to the point Scent of ??? Just not Sure. Cooler temps come off as a Powdery balsamic Spice.. Kinds feel like a Tuff Strong Girl Smell. Makes me fell Like Barbie who can Kick some Butt,

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

i guess this will come off ignorant, and maybe it is
it smells like a weak version of the edt
annoyed that i bought a bottle of this when i could've bought two of the edt, which is now discontinued
i'll keep the bottle, which is cool
but really, the edt bottles are prettier too

*annoyed*

Bajar
Bajar

I had never smelled EdT before but I had read the story behind the original perfume and I was excited. There are so many orientals I love but the notes of this were very interesting. I had to have this.
One of the reasons I went to Grasse last May was to visit Molinard factory and finally to smell the classic EdT. Habanita and everything about it has its own place at the end of the georgeous exhibition-sales room. But unfortunately the new EdP had occupied most of the surface of the antique chest of drawers and the EdT was nowhere. There was also a bottle of pure parfum and the bath set of the EdP. I was lucky enough to try some of the last drops of the pure parfum that had remained in the bottle. On the other wrist I sprayed the EdP. I was confused. Both Parfum and EdP were not what I was expected a Habanita to be. Smoky yes, oriental yes but also sweet, creamy and with a huge dose of vanilla.
I came out of the factory. The sun was bright, the weather was warm - not so good conditions to try an oriental like this. At the end of the day I realized that, although Parfum was just stunning, I had sniffed the wrist sprayed with the EdP more than 20 times. Vanilla was still intense but not sweet anymore as it had beautifully been mixed with vetiver and the entire composition, warm and dry at the same time, brought to my mind images from "femmes fatales" dressed in dark luscious dresses, surrounded by attractive males at an eccentric millionaire's private party somewhere in Paris. It was more than a nice perfume. It was a great work and I was totaly captivated. Next day I went to the factory again to attend a workshop. The lady at the counter gave me some samples of the EdP to test it again in various weather conditions and decide. Until now and after having finally purchased an EdT from Ebay I have to say that it's one of the greatest reformulations I have ever smelled. It's warm, sensual and totally wearable and it balances perfectly between it's glorious past and the current fashion trends. And when sometimes I'm thinking of the ad and the young girl that represents new Habanita I realize that everything in this edition is exactly as it should be.

lalondem
lalondem

just a touch of this goes long....woke up the next day smelling powdery good vanilla. I know I will have to be careful wearing this with the " normal" non Fragrantica people! They will go on about my perfume "abuse" as they call it. Now I can't wear my lovely Tocade around them, too much sillage for them....
Habanita certainly a winter perfume for me -if not even an outdoor perfume- yes I will have to go easy on the spray button......

Guest_Obanonatto
Guest_Obanonatto

This is not Habanita, is a new scent. It smells cheap and synthetic vanillin. I recommend the vintatge, the EDT is stronger than this, rich and beautiful bouquet of this chemical and ugly inside and out.
My rating is 3/10

MzScents8ional
MzScents8ional

I have never smelled the original Habanita before and because of the reviews it received and the newer EDP version had also received, I thought I'd see what this fragrance is all about. I received Habanita Eau de Parfum today and sprayed it on my wrists and it scared me with all of the aggressive notes shouting at me at once that I almost took off running leaving the bottle spinning in midair! Lol It was a loud cacophony of notes pushing against each other wanting to be noticed. I did notice that after the initial spray and I sniffed the atomizer button, Habanita sort of reminds me of Fracas but, that's only when sniffing the cap and button. After a while and the initial shock of the first notes had quieted, Habanita took on a sweeter softer voice of vanilla and what i think is a leathery scent. Now this stage of the fragrance is a lot more tolerable and wearable. It doesn't have that loud "new baby doll" smell it had upon first sniff to my nose. It is really sweet strong and leathery, a hearty fragrance which is not a bad thing but, maybe it is not for me or maybe I need to spend more time with the lady Habanita. The other reviewers are right that you have to have a particularly strong personality to carry off this fragrance!

myra83
myra83

Ive got my bottle afew days ago.. well on my skin realy clasic smell drydown simmilar to chanel no 5 to my skin... very powdery... but powdery smell not cup of mytea.. sillage longevity long last 8hours++! when i missed my grandma i did smell this habanita. ;-)

Lulutupelo

I've already given Habanita edp a good review, and the pure parfum is truly great. Just wanted to say that my husband, who plays bass in a rock n' roll band in Nashville, and is quite eccentric,(he writes songs about the Green Fairy and about the Dark Lady) wears Habanita parfum as his beta fragrance. Norell parfum is his alpha. He says everytime he wears the Dark Lady women say to him "oh you smell so nice!" He also says the Dark Lady speaks to him in many ways. . . just thought that would amuse you

nizzagirl
nizzagirl

doesn't work for me at all. on my skin/for my nose it's an awful smell of a tantra-esoteric shop full of joss sticks. all i smell is joss sticks. and what i hoped to get was smokey vanilled leather or leathery smoky vanilla...
it was a blind buy, so now i'm sitting on 75ml of the juice i can't stand. no more blind buys.

Grottola
Grottola

I remember once smelling the original Habanita Eau de Toilette briefly but I can't quite remember the smell. No matter, I acquired the new EDP in a trade with my good friend Matt (Anup) and find it to be one of the lushest, most bedazzling feminines out there.

If the original Habanita was (is) anything like this EDP I'm smelling, then this fragrance was extremely ahead of its time. I personally can't comment on the smell of mastic, as I'm not familiar with it, but I do know that the opening blast of this is a sucker-punch of indolic jasmine, nutmeg, aldehydes, and cloves. At least that's what I smell. It's raw, slightly animalic, and almost vulgar at first. As it dries down, the nutmeg and clove become the unmistakable leaders of the fragrance, over time settling into a dry, ashen femme mystique that actually brings to mind my dad's signature fragrance, Jacomo de Jacomo (1980). Habanita Eau de Parfum lasts for several hours until drying down to a clove-heavy, Fat Electrician-style (not a bad thing) Haitian vetiver - one hell of a finish for a women's fragrance.

I'll have to let Habanita EDP grow on me, but I love the dark, mysterious qualities of it, as well as the gorgeous bottle; it really is one of the most beautiful perfume bottles I've ever seen. Regardless, I will treasure this fragrance as a part of my collection, and look forward to smelling the EDT!

rottannie
rottannie

To my nose this is a stronger sister of encre noir pour elle. I have the new edp, and everything about it is gorgeous. Im not very experienced at picking out notes that dont scream for attention, but I can say this beauty is dark and sexy with great silage and longevity.

Lulutupelo

I've never had the edt, but I love the edp. It is such a delightful oriental. I also have the modern parfum, and it is more complex, definitely smoky. Molinard should produce more of the parfums and edps for sure; it would make them a great house, like Caron, and not a niche house. While the parfum is definitely different from the edp, it doesn't last but maybe an hour longer than the edp. The edp lasts 5 hours without changing character too much, then the next two hours it becomes much softer. It isn't a skin scent, but it isn't the sillage monster it has the reputation for being. It is almost perfection in the perfume world.

As for the comparison with Caron, they have lovely fragrances and are a great house, but nothing new I've tried by them is as long lasting or complex as Habanita and Nirmala.

seamav
seamav

NSFW - was in a business meeting and someone asked if there was incense in the room...
Great evening fragrance - smoky, powdery vanilla as described. Not easy, but very fine and anachronistic. Hubby loves it and I spray it on my pillows...

xxstarburstxx
xxstarburstxx

Keep going back to this one - its a complex fragrance. Certainly not girly & flowery it has an interesting bite upon first spraying although this is tempered by the amber, musk, sandal wood base already evident.
As it moves on I can smell leather & vetiver along with my favourite base notes. A little patchouli too..
Will come back to this as it warms up.
Rich, deep, spicy warm up with comforting vanilla notes. I LOVE this. Makes me want to nestle in blankets & inhale it forever.
This unusual fragrance is close to becoming a signature scent for me...might not get much done tho!!

Nefelisparkles
Nefelisparkles

Amazing with lots of mastic! A little bitter. Not very powerful, but distinct enough!
Loved it!

melange
melange

Whoever is behind it is a marketing mastermind. All the links to the original version - the marketing story, the bottle, even the choice of the model for the campaign - prepare us for a tour de force, perhaps slightly toned down.

What I get is a hippie in a bottle - a fragrance that smells, from start to finish, like an India shop, with sandalwood and patchouli screaming their heads out. If you find your skin amps warm notes, approach this one with care.

wendyyparty

This is more of a refined version of Habanita EDT, I would say.

Or should I say... more civilized, more "satinized" for its rich, smooth and much-easier-to-wear quality?

However I personally find the classic, EDT more charming than this beautiful, untamed, reformulated EDP (though I must admit the new bottle & ad are OH so very stunning #dreamy eyes)

I guess the strong sandalwood in this EDP makes it off-putting for me. Yes it emphasizes sweetness and soften the aggressiveness I get from the original EDT, but it also ruins the sense of "crisp-ey-ness" I feel from the EDT that I really adore.

Needless to say, the EDT is still my favorite version of HABANITA ;)

janieh
janieh

This is the first time I've added a review, love perfumes & love reading all your comments for inspiration. This one sounded fab so I ordered a tester. OMG, it smells exactly like my furniture polish! urgghh. Its true isn't it, some perfumes obviously dont mix with your own body chemistry.....
Only got a 2ml vial, if anyone wants it pm me.

judyk
judyk

Fabulous.

As a lover and respect-er of the original Dark Lady, I'm very pleased to say that this EDP is worthy of the name Habanita. I've never had the opportunity to try the parfum :-( but I imagine this is what it would be like - a distillation of all the magic notes that create the unique EDT - smoother, deeper, more refined.

If you've never tried Habanita (shame on you!) and you're not afraid of languid rose, sweet powder, biting vetiver and lots of leather, then the EDP would be a good place to start. If you already know and love the original, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to this one.

bellavence
bellavence

Not a review..just wondering, has this been reformulated? I am not really fond of the eau de toilette. If the newly released parfum has been reformulated i'm not buying it.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Habinita Eau de Parfum is the pre existential smell of 1920s bohemian Paris re-imagined by a well meaning West Coast new age commune.

All the rough edges and intellectual rigour knocked off and replaced with a dose of sugared sentimentality and only slightly knowing sexuality.

It's sophisticated in a long line skirt and short bob cut sort of a way, somewhat marred by a little too much tie dye.

After a quick burst of petitgrain to clear the way at the opening it’s mainly sugar in the shape of mastic, vanilla and unsalted amber; spicy nutmeg and assorted woods, especially cedar and sandal, that take centre stage.

Sure enough there's a feral element, but the musk doesn't quite cut the mustard and frankly there's a bit of a gap where the oakmoss ought to be.

As for the flowers, they prove to be really not that powerful after all, save for a brisk geranium at the beginning that persists a little way into the heart.

Overall it is very long lasting semi-oddity, sure to draw knowing glances, especially from the fully self-actualised.

But one can't help wishing it was... well, more self confident, brutal and, frankly, odd.

*************
Gender wise?

This is the endless Summer of Love, there's nothing here that a man in a smock (metaphorically or otherwise) couldn't get away with.

Guest_Blimunda
Guest_Blimunda

Although not being fan of the edt version which used to be too strange to me, hazy and "muzzy", this one is refined from all strong and dark notes that were making it unbearable for me.

Practically, what I get now is a scent very close to Shalimar, again, more balanced and calm, more woody and balmy, but still having that oriental, or if you like it- mysterious side. In comparison to Shalimar, this sandal is not dusty, but creamy and warm, combined with balsamic notes, deep, warm amber and alluring ylang-ylang petals.

I like the fact it is made the old fashioned way, but yet being modern, holding all the good old qualities and moving just a tiny, but much needed step forward, to how nowadays woman should smell if she wants to leave some unique and intriguing fragrance trace behind her.

Anmo
Anmo

Habanita is a fantastic multi layered, deep but not too heavy oriental that is lovely in modest dosages.
Anyone who likes Habanita should try Heaven Sent (original or Dana's reformulation in a tall swirly bottle) - lighter but just as warm and lasting, maybe a more casual version of this Habanita EdP.

Carolina Telo

I bought this unsniffed and I could not be happier with it! On my skin it's smokey, it smells almost like leather and as the hours pass, it gets only better. It has an enormous staying power and just a few drops go a very long way. Gorgeous!

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Oooh, this is a dark one! Deep, mysterious and very interesting indeed. It's spicy and inky with smokey vanilla being quite evident. Shades of Shalimar with HUGE longevity and silage. It has the same fantastic staying power as Shocking - I can still smell it when I get home from work at night after applying it once in the morning.

redmosaic
redmosaic

I just got the new eau de parfum version today, after years of adoration of the eau de toilette. I did wrist by wrist comparisons and the eau de parfum is a luscious match to that beautiful eau de toilette.. It has a richer deeper scent, and thankfully not as powdery, which is not my favorite scent, but odd how after an hour it reminded me of Shalimar (The eau de toilette does not remind of anything else! Lucky for me that I also adore Shalimar ) . I still plan to stock up on the eau de toilette version as Molinard reportedly is discontinuing the eau de toilette. Essentially the eau de parfum is fabulous and retains that dusky quirk that makes me love it so! As I sit here and type, after hours of wear including the gym, I get wafts of vanilla smoke despite how the eau de parfum sits so close to the skin.
Beautiful bottle, beautiful scent, and I am still entranced with Habanita's magic.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Truly a pleasing scent on its own. The vetiver is among the best I've experienced. The powder here reads more as a crushed coral than before. The patchouli and other dirty aspects are more subliminal than shocking. This geranium note is striking and preppy-classic wearable. Neo-Hab could dress up any outfit and bring a pulled-together classicism to any situation. But this Habanita, to quote the Talking Heads "... is not my beautiful house ... is not my beautiful wife." She's too pretty and perfect and manicured lawn. Where's the cigarette-scenter original invention? Where's the requisite drama and ode to modernism? "Where is that large automobile?"

Why settle for anything less than the best Habanita???... and I do find the two formulas ago edt one of the best affordable scents out there. And this reformulation is not nearly as affordable unless bought through a discounter.

Make no mistake, for a reformulation this is very, very fine work, as only a serious and caring house like Molinard might take the time and effort to do. Get this if you're a Habanita completist or if you found the original too much to wear. If the original was just right, or if you've never before tried Habanita, please don't let the edt go gently into that good night when she was all along more of a fine and respectable lady than she's given credit for, while still being a lady of the night, yes.

From this rambling talking head here to you, don't let this pastoral, genteel (but still gorgeous and very fine) impostor supplant the urban warrior queen, at least not until she has died to completion. Then and only then, when we are sure that this reform is the lasting incarnation, should we settle in for her considerable but lesser talents. In short: this is getting a square-nailed pink manicure in place of dragon lady red talons!

Overall rating: 8/10
Longevity: considerable for a reform! Inferior to its mothership by about 3/4, but that leaves Hab the Lesser at ~5-6 hours.
Sillage: not so much "in its wake sillage," a bit of drift though. More personal. Maybe a half arm's length. Better and more controlled, attractive than most contemporary offerings. Kind of boudoir-ish in intimacy.
Gender: completely neutered the grand crossdresser of old. Pity, but it sure does make this wearable for any men who found the old too flamenca.
Occasion: both everyday chic and slightly formal; a promising range.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

When I read that they were 'modernising' my beloved Habanita I confess I had a feeling of dread. What were they going to do to my favourite winter scent? Would they add a ton of sugar and a bushel of pink pepper?? Fear not - this is one amazing piece of work, and surely the first reformulation in ages that made a fragrance stronger, deeper and darker. It is still a amazing combination of spices, roots and smoke, a fabulous ankle-length coat made of rich, smooth, buttersoft black leather lined with purple silk. The sillage is still good and the longevity is excellent. The ultimate drydown is a wonderful warm dry vanilla that's the ultimate comfort. I am now really looking forward to winter - bring on the snow!!!!!

SAKE
SAKE

Hmmm,
Bottle like black velvet... tres sensual
Essence like hell ... riche et un peu gotik
Un parfum atemporel pour une chaque femme agees de 25-55 si elles sont pleines de leur feminite.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I wished there was a "I would sacrifice a small cute animal to get you" button to the left of the "LOVE" button.

too much? haha

seriously, though. I don't hurt animals and I really, REALLY want this. Sorry for the dark humour.

le mouchoir de monsieur

Now that I have become used to it, I add the following to my description below: First, this truly is a masterful reformulation. I must admit that it is the *only* reformulation I have ever smelled that actually improves upon the scent it is meant to replace, to wit, the original Molinard Eau de Toilette. Somehow, even though the new eau de parfum is distinctly different, it could be none other than Habanita: Strange but true. What I have figured out is the following: The new EdP actually resembles the original, and quite rare, Habanita Parfum: At $500.00US an ounce on e-bay, this is not a concentration easily found anywhere, but I have some, and I had always remarked how much smokier and dryer it was compared to the EdT: Missing is that exilherating thrill of flight that the EdT had, the sweetness of it: That is gone entirely. What remains is that unmatched "Habanita" aura--that "thing" that only Habanita has, and is here sublimated and made to last hours and hours, getting only darker and more daring as time progresses, and also developing a softness that is very cuddly and warm. Yes, it is very different from the original EdT, but somehow, it's better: Both longevity and sillage are more appropriate for a product of top quality: Less "room clearing" sillage, five times the longevity. The "Shalimar Saw Dust" note, which appears to be the "soul" of the fragrance, makes this very distinctly unisex, though adapted for a Romantic Man, not a soccer player or an "outdoorsy" type man: More the languid lounge lizard who reads and spends a lot of time thinking. Perhaps a lonely man. On a woman, this is a statement piece: After all, it is Habanita. Quite simply, even though it is a reformulation, it could not possibly be mistaken for any other. Intact: The fearless, aggressive, independent female who knows what she wants and is unashamed to go after it: Watch the video. The video translates the new EdP to perfection: If you don't like the video, you probably won't like the fragrance. While the new version is softer than the original, it is still somewhat "pushy." My hat off to Molinard: This reformation, relaunch, re-design should be studied by all of the industry as a truly memorable success.

le mouchoir de monsieur

Beautiful Presentation. Bottle is breathtaking. Flight is very briefly reminiscent of the original, then immediately becomes very different. This is nothing at all like Classic Habanita: It's dryer, and softer. There is no mind-numbing gong show to entice. It smells like SHALIMAR SAW DUST. Much more wearable. Totally unisex.

Симба
Симба

Please Habanitа who test in the EDP, as far as the difference with the classic? What are the nuances?What kind of perfume is like?

Amv10
Amv10

Did anybody already try the new release? I am a great fan of the original one. I only hope this is not too far away from what Habanita was so far and that they will still keep the EDT in the perfume line just in case the new EDP will not resemble what Habanita should be.

Carolina Telo

It's impossible to find this perfume in Brussels, but I discovered that you can order it next month (May 2012) on the Molinard site. I will order it unsniffed hoping it's as gorgeous as I think it is! Thanks a lot, Rachel, for your advices!

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

Carolina have you tries LesSenteus D'Ailleurs on Avenue Louise just past Pace Stephanie? Although I guess, as a perfumista you are never out of the shop! I lived on Rue de la Concorde and first discovered niche frangrances there. There's also a perfume shop on Rue Bailli as I recall. Good luck. I'm ordering it very soon too!

[email protected]
paiged98@gmail.com

I'd love to see reviews.....I need to get a bottle, then I will post, and Lalique did the bottle, nice!

Carolina Telo

I really would like to smell this... Does anyone know where to buy this in Brussels (Belgium)?

kmclauchlanquinn
kmclauchlanquinn

indescribably lovely

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Molinard Habanita Eau de Parfum fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Molinard Habanita Eau de Parfum, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Habanita Eau de Parfum by Molinard. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Habanita Eau de Parfum by Molinard represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.