Designers » M » Woody Spicy « Groups

Wood and Spices Montale for men

Wood and Spices Montale for men
dislike

oud

Wood and Spices by Montale is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. Wood and Spices was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Montale. The fragrance features agarwood (oud), vetiver, sandalwood and incense.

Agarwood (Oud) Vetiver Sandalwood Incense

Sculpture pour Homme
Joop! Homme

Wood and Spices Fragrance Reviews

Casamir
Casamir

No wood, but there are spices - kinda.
To me, it's a milky/creamy version of the sweet spices of La Nuit de l'Homme mixed with baby powder, and I can detect a touch of the honey that several before me have mentioned.
If I did get headaches, this would probably give me one.

mikebeiras
mikebeiras

This is Sculpture Pour Homme, period. Save your money and buy Sculpture.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - sandalwood & Incense.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the colder months, day or night.

Projection - I did get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 12hrs consistently.

Vlud
Vlud

Smells like freshly washed sheets. I don't find the spices, only a very balsamic, creamy sandalwood.

landshark321
landshark321

Montale Wood and Spices doesn't really smell as I'd expected, as there's certainly some wood but not much spices. I mostly get woods and citrus, an orange/bergamot duo coupled with a lot of sandalwood. I don't get the listed oud or vetiver, really, so I'm half wondering if I'm smelling the described fragrance.

It has year-round and unisex wearability, reminiscent a little bit of Versace The Dreamer in terms of the creamier, sharp woodsy dry down, but I can't really draw many worthwhile comparisons. It's mainly just a semi-fruity, slightly sharp, woody mix, but not spicy to my nose at all.

It's at least discounted on Beautyspin at $105 for 100ml but this is one I can say that I like but I'm not moved enough to buy. Still, a worthwhile try as I can imagine this would work really well for some and be agreeable to many.

7 out of 10

Buckeye
Buckeye

Smells fancy but in a cheap manner. They have worked so hard to make it smell like a niche brand but have failed miserably.

If one is considering Montale, they should save the money and go with department store fragrances, or spend more money and buy niche brands.

Disappointing brand. I will never buy their products.

JohnMc
JohnMc

This is the epitome of linear modern male, mass market masculinie-aquatic and fresh tones. It's not old-school hairy chested machismo, but it definitely suggests sporty, clean and fresh-strong images in my mind. It also smells very, very like Bondage Homme Extreme which retails at approx $10 equivalent in the UK. Don't listen to the haters; buy a bottle of the cheap stuff and make up your own mind. Niche it most definitely isn't, but in my humble opinion, it is nice...

ChickenSmell
ChickenSmell

Tra la tostatura fumosa dell'incenso si fa spazio la dolcezza di un sandalo che si fa sempre più zuccherino e mieloso, fino a dar fastidio. I legni e le spezie chissà dove sono.
Non evoca emozioni, luoghi, situazioni.
Puerile.
Inverno, notturno.
6.3

Housebliss
Housebliss

Reminds me of Tabac Rouge by Phaedon, Nikos Sculpture and Tobacco Vanille. I actually prefer this one to be honest. It does smell like honey should be a part of the listed notes though.

This fragrance reminded me of a specific scenario:
Sometimes on the bus or train I can sit behind some random older guy and catch a whiff of the cologne he's wearing. I remember specifically two occasions this happened, thinking "Damn...he smells good."

It's not a fragrance I can name, or brand for that matter. It just smells great, it smells like a man. If that type of smell is categorized as "drugstore" "cheap" and so on, then that's fine by me as long as it's something I truly love the smell of.

If you're into the kind of fragrance I described please do try this, and don't feel discouraged due to the massive amount of dislikes. Personally I don't understand why so many people dislike this.

I think it's great.

lucadantegabriel
lucadantegabriel

Purtroppo dura a lungo. E' la prima volta che la cosa mi fa rammaricare. Apre con note di aftershave da supermercato, sembra quasi uno di quei profumi che provavo a fare io a dodici anni mischiando gli oli essenziali di mia madre. Chiude con una stucchevole dolcezza, gretta e dozzinale, senza carattere. Felice possessore di Sandflowers, Greyland e Red Vetyver, ho trovato ahimè la toppa di Montale. L'errore.

M.Carolina
M.Carolina

for about half an hour it stretches just like those cheap colognes you can smell on a Brazilian public bus at rush hour.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

There is something in Montale that fascinates me. It’s amazing how they ruthlessly bottle the worst “cheap-designer-in-disguise” scents in a niche dress, and manage to actually sell them. Some are actually decent, but most of them are just tacky cheap stuff. Still, they’re there, and they’re niche. However... Wood and Spices, friends, is their masterpiece – their “IgNobel” winning scent so far for me. Basically it smells exactly (I mean it: exactly) like those modern “aromatic fougères” cheapos, the woody-ozonic-spicy-fresh colognes like Ferrari scents, or Police. Completely, nauseatingly synthetic, flashy and tacky, despicably stuffed with metallic stuff and artificial “roundness”. Trust me, I am not being too grave or severe: it’s utter supermarket rubbish. Many niche fans want to smell expensive: Wood and Spices smells terribly *inexpensive*, instead. In perspective, I should raise my ratings of all other Montale’s, as this one is really the worst of them all. One of the worst scents I’ve ever tested.

Sunnn
Sunnn

"Wood & Spices" is probably not the right name for this perfume. But...if you don't mind about the name and smell the fragrance, maybe you'll like it...! it's not the best of the house,of course, but it's intersting, sensual, warm and very long lasting. The honey is fantastic. I agree that it's more like a mainstream fragrance then a niche, but it doesn't means that it can't be weared!
Extreme sillage and very long lasting.

I like to wear it sometimes, and i'm happy to have this fragrance in my collection.

My vote: 6/10

Try it!

fuggerone
fuggerone

great and fresh simple scent for late summer, sprayed the tester and just grabbed the last piece left while a woman was asking the SA what was she smelling..the sadistic rush of having grabbed the last slice of the pie!

Bodda89
Bodda89

This is not identical to sculpture it's the same same same same juice montale is breaking sculpture bottles in a barrel and rebotteling them

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

My experience of this is very different from recent reviews. Perhaps it's my dry skin but I get a very creamy milky incense with strong undercurrents of nutmeg and cardamom. There is a strange sweetness I can't quite place. Strong silage. Very feminine and very sensual. JPG and Bond offer similar fragrances but more masculine.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Ok I am going to be a broken record here. There is no wood nor spice in this perfume. And it smells dreadful to boot. Can there be a single note called "cheap, nasty men's cologne"? Because that is what this smells like. This is Chris Kattan in A Night at the Roxbury.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

Like others have stated before me, the wood and spice have taken a vacation from this scent, they are no where to be found. When I first put this on, it smelled like a hodge-podge of every male cologne at the drugstore, an overwhelming scent of generic masculinity. There are cloying and sweet fruit notes, resting on a bed of some type of synthetic sandalwood. A half hour later I was smelling Madonna Truth or Dare Naked! Lots of grape like jammy orchid, but the ToD Naked is much better. I was sent this sample in place of Roses Musk and needless to say I'm a little grumpy about it.

Can't say I like this and it's the first Montale I've tried that I don't. There's wood to be fair but it's not all that pleasant and as for the spices? I don't understand the spicing because it feels flat. very strong sickly accord with an awful muggy, bitterness which renders Wood & Spices unwearable for me. There's definitely a honey note which is usually a killer for me but in this instance it's more than just that. I do get a spicy sandalwood in the dry down but it's too little too late and ruined by that off, olfactory 'nosedive' as I've appropriately named it. The top and middle of a each individual sniff is okay then the last bit is awful. Like having a promising hand to begin with then being sold down the river in a game of texas hold 'um!
Is there Oud in here? Montale is certainly adept at making a wide range of Oud fragrances so it could be that? If there is it's not resembling anything I'm familiar with?
Amoungst all this negative stuff there's something redeeming about the fragrance almost if it was tweaked a little, I'd like it but as it stands I most certainly don't.

greenthumb
greenthumb

Wife said this smells like a wood cleaner. I love the scent though.

Amsha13
Amsha13

This is so controversial!
I'm sure I can smell honey and citrusy notes in this (like some other reviewers). And where is the Wood?!! It's not so spicy either!
I think a naming mistake happened in this Montale!

W&S (or whatever you wana call it) opens HARSH! It's a tang (citrus like tang) in first 5 minutes. So beware of smelling it from close distance in the beginning.

In my opinion "Wood & Spices" isn't very masculine. It's even kind of unisex.

Despite these all, if you give it time, after 10-15 minutes it will become pleasant gradually.
And its good side appears;
A SEXY LONG-LASTING FRAGRANCE THAT TURNS EYES ON YOU.

amore9111
amore9111

Please do not spind 160$$$ like me on this colone....it is nice but there is cheap alternative ....dissel plus plus ...it is EXACTLY EXACTLY like montanle woods and spices

aphexacid
aphexacid

This smells VERY close to Jean Paul Gaultier: Fleur du Male.

VERY VERY close.

Scent e(t)mane

Terrible and a very bad to be a Montale!

I was expecting a bitter and dry mixture of Wonderwood/Serge Noir; but, it turned out to be the following:

Expired cooking honey (cheap) with stale ground pepper, all dipped in resins of aldehydes and iso super e, which rendered the formula unnaturally sweet, WITHOUT ANY WOOD OR SPICES! Not even some myrrh or incense to temper it...

It is so mediocre that the first time I applied this, I felt my teeth grinding...

To be fair, I tested it couple of more times, during a 3-week period, and it always failed; I bet you that whomever did this, do not wear it, ever!

My girlfriend used the rest of the decant as a bathroom freshener; still, she had to mix it with bleach to break the sweetness...

Scent e(t)mane

What a shame! Quelle honte Montale?

I totally agree with Alfarom's evaluation: Cheap and messy. It is a pumped up dunhill desire blue accord that opens, and keeps getting sweeter and obnoxiously CLOYING... While some anosmic Montale guys sat in their lab, bored, so they figured to make fun of us loyal clients, by releasing cheap and messy crap...ha ha ha, comme c'est rigolo... They're damn wrong! Keep it up for it will comeback to haunt you.

Malizia in Italy they do stuff like this for $20...Montale is damaging their own brand when they release bad fragrances like this one! Personally, I would not buy it for $5, not even to put on my feet when I wear my Birkenstocks.

yacoco
yacoco

Remind me of Sculpture pour Homme bu nikos great scent

mendwillie
mendwillie

Very well done, citrus up front then takes comfort in mild spices with a hint of sandalwood. Still does not do justice to the name. It's good but nothing amazing, nice hard on me +8 hs its projection was good all commented on what I was wearing and that lasted about 4hs in the air.

I rank it well:

Smell: 7.5/10
Projection: 9/10

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

I love this scent. First I tested it on my husband. And literally could not stop sniffing him. Today I couraged my-Self to put it on my own skin. And oh WOW ! Wonderfull sweetness coming through!! There is same sweetie wonderfull feel with Wood and Spice than I get with Coromandel! Definitely for Ladies too, but try it on skin first to be sure it suits You. I love this beauty and need to buy a bottle to this house. Here is 5 male persons and me, so I am sure there will be used one or two bottles easily. My sons loves this one too. Definitely goes to purchase list.

new friend
new friend

تأسست دار مونتتال للعطور في باريس سنة 2003م على يد مؤسسها وصاحبها بيير مونتال.
ويرجع تأخر تاريخ ظهورها إلى طول فترة إقامة بيير مونتال في المملكة العربية السعودية حيث كان يعمل مصمما خاصا لعطور الملوك والأمراء والأميرات.
وربما كان هذا السبب وراء تأثر مونتال الواضح من خلال عطوره بالثقافة الشرقية في صناعة العطور، من حيث المكونات من (عنبر وتوابل وعود وبخور وأخشاب عطرية وورود شرقية) الأمر الذي ميز عطوره بالقوة والثبات والتركيز والكثافة الشديدة.
وهذا العطر لا يخرج عن هذه المنظومة التي رسمها مونتال لنفسه من حيث الطابع العطري الحاد القوي.
العطر صريح وغير معقد يعبر تماما مضمونه عن اسمه الذي يحمله (أخشاب وتوابل)، المكونات محدودة لا تخرج عن نطاق المزج بين قوة الأخشاب وحرارة التوابل من بداية الخط العطري حتى نهايته.
حيث يمتزج فيه خشب الصندل وخشب عود الآجار (العود) مع الفيتيفير والبخور
عطر مميز لأصحاب لمزاج القوي ومحبي العطور الذكورية الصريحة
وربما يفضله من هم في غمر الثلاثين واكبر من هذا

Montale WOOD & SPICES definitely tests my wish to believe that all fragrances are potentially unisex. The opening, in particular, verily screams out "Cologne Guy!" Maybe this is the Montale for Cologne Guy? I mused over this possibility for several minutes while waiting for the huge cloud of fumes to dissipate.

It took a while, but eventually the ebony drydown arrives, and it is quite nice. Here I find that WOOD & SPICES is truly unisex. But getting there is another story. I have no idea what accounts for the Cologne Guy opening, but I'm not sure that it's worth waiting out, since I know of a couple of good ebony perfumes which do not require any sort of endurance training: Tokyomilk DEAD SEXY and Love & Toast POMME POIVRE. Both were created by Margot Elena.

I do very much appreciate the drydown of WOOD & SPICES, but I would not acquire a bottle because the Cologne Guy opening is simply too annoying, not only for others, but also for me. This is not a case of enjoying a guilty pleasure in the privacy of one's own home and them journeying out once the drydown has arrived. No, the opening is not a guilty pleasure. Just guilty of smelling like Cologne Guy.

Cheap and messy crap. I'm afraid there's nothing to add...

gianluca1968
gianluca1968

I love wood&spices

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

Wood????? Spice???? Where is it???
This is a feminine fragrance. I was expecting more wood and spice.....even if it was just one of them I would be happy.
This was a blind buy....live and learn.

Chivu
Chivu

Wood & Spices. With a name like that you would expect wood and spices, right?

But, I don't get any wood nor any spices... :-(

I don't know why, but all I get is.... honey!

I find Black Aoud and Red Vetyver MUCH nicer!

Migotka
Migotka

This is by far the sexiest men fragrance I have tried so far. And to precise: sexiest not in like some Robert Pattison or other feminised type of guy, whose photos have to be photoshopped to make them look like men.

This fragrance is sexy, because it is so beautiful. It is dark and heavy, but not overpowering. Decided, but not sharp. Comforting, but not sweet. It is sexy, because it is confident. It is sexy, because it has got a lot of charm to it.

I thought I knew all the notes, and yet blended together they create such a unique mixture.

I think I could use it myself, although it is a men fragrance. Mmhmhmhmh..

guest_fad
guest_fad

bau nyaman....sedap2 jak bau nya....hmmmmmmmmm......
sejuk rasa cium bau......yeay....
best aihhh.....

fqjcior
fqjcior

This one is something I love in fragrances. Woods and spices. Could be anything more?? Anything better?? For me - nope. W&S is simply amazing with it's warm sweet woody (ebony?) notes combined with some cold menthol and spices. And I can clearly smell anise here. If someone is looking for a high quality, niche version of say Pi, Opium, or maybe Body Kouros, this would be a good option. Very nice, approachable, and easily likable. And it lasts very long. The only bad factor is the price :-)

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Montale Wood and Spices fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Montale Wood and Spices, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Wood and Spices by Montale. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Wood and Spices by Montale represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.