Designers » N-Q » « Groups

Paul Smith Man Paul Smith for men
dislike

smoky
Paul Smith Man Paul Smith for men Pictures

Paul Smith Man arrives in July 2009 in black flacons with yellow and white letters, in amount of 30, 50 and 100ml edt. The perfume features yuzu, bergamot, annis; tonic, patchuli and incense in a heart, with a modern twist - iris, violet and tonka in a finish of the composition. Perfumer is Nathalie Lorson.

Yuzu Bergamot Star Anise

Bvlgari Man In Black

Paul Smith Man Fragrance Reviews

Trab
Trab

a great alternative for Dior Homme or Midnight in Paris - unfortunately not in production anymore - nowadays you can buy the last copies of this perfume sometimes a bit too expensive then I would be better to buy Midnight in Paris where there are still plenty of copies available or Zara 9.0 which is an even cheaper alternative but maybe with poorer longetivity

Seanfah
Seanfah

Got this at a very good price on ebay, it reminds me of Dior Homme but after a while it reminds me of Dior Fahrenheit, strange. 8.5/10

jamiehammond1980
jamiehammond1980

This is by far the best Paul smith in my opinion it's just dark enough to compete with the illustrious dior home intense and the like usually Paul smith fragrances seem too light on me but this is just a bliss full cacao anise dream wish I could find another bottle xx

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Graphite by Montana and/or Balmain’s Carbone meet Dior Homme and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. The composition is extremely clean and “geometrical” and you can really clearly see these inspirations for me. Pencil-wood shavings, peppery synthetic incense, iris, that same exact feel of “wet concrete” caused by violet leaves as in Narciso, with just the exact hint of citrus freshness not to smell overly oppressive. How come this fragrance is so neglected and underrated? I may be wrong, but I find Man probably the best offering ever by Paul Smith. And one of the nicest mainstreams of the last decade, deserving for me way more praise than it gets. This is a remarkable little gem of satin matte dusty greyness, masterfully blending Lorson’s signature “pencil sharpener” notes with a truly enjoyable iris-violet accord which smells slightly sweet, but massively aloof and decidedly androgynous, completely emptied of any “powdery” weight. I mean: it is powdery, just in a really transparent, light way (so, yes, totally “masculine” if that’s your concern). The same for woods – more “industrial wood shavings” than actual raw woods. The entire fragrance smells actually totally weightless, resulting in an extremely sophisticated feel of “empty” dustiness. Feels more like the balmy smell of air where these materials have been processed, rather than the actual result of the processing. Instant love for me, the quality of materials isn’t probably stunning, but this doesn’t smell cheap for me. Or better say: it makes a really good use of synthetics, so cheapness isn’t an issue in the first place. A peculiar yet versatile and refined fragrance with a remarkable contemporary feel, extremely linear but it works. Also quite niche-smelling for me – could have been easily something made by Andrea Maack or nu_be. Totally nice bottle too. Sadly discontinued.

7,5-8/10

RobbieX

A very pleasant musky, powdery spicy/floral scent. Lasting power and silage are very good. It's really nice and has a distinct character. I normally don't like powdery scents - but this one is strangely addictive. I really love this one. 8/10

Stormstryk
Stormstryk

Trying to decide here... The opening is perhaps a bit confusing, but I don't really mind it. There is a strangeness to the heart, but I'm a spice and resin fiend, so perhaps in trying to enjoy the more floral and powder aspects. The cost is quite good and I can't say anything really negative. I'm not thrilled, but I'll update on the 2nd wearing. I do sense just a hint of benzoic notes lurking, but the incense seems to be in control.

daynierds
daynierds

there are 49 years difference between this and dior homme....no sense making this comparison...dior smell like quality...this is just irrelevant to my nose....and CHEAP smelling as well

Molko
Molko

The first sniff from Paul is not similar to Dior homme for me, rather Fahrenheit or something green, edgy and watery, I don't like the top, about half hour or an hour I feel spice, wood, some sweet notes and starts to smell like Dior homme, but in more sweet/spicy version, not in floral. Dior is richer, deeper, stronger I think, but Paul is similar in 70% to Dior, but just in the base. Anyway Paul Smith Man not a bad scent, however this can't make the Dior Homme up for me unfortunately
upd: Oh I forgot to mention the sillage/longevity, sillage is soft to moderate, longevity is very good, 7-8 hours

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I bought this today at a knock-down rate in a post-Christmas sale and although I haven't spent very long with this fragrance, I simply cannot sit back and look at the symmetrical review bar (currently 3 positive, 1 neutral, 3 negative) any longer without weighing in and adding a splash more green.

This fragrance deserves a lot more praise than it gets IMHO - the dry bright opening of yuzu and spice is uplifting and original, and the woodsy iris note (which some have rightly identified as similar to Dior Homme) is captivating, classy and fiercely masculine. Dessert comes in the form of a lasting and rich tonka base.

Sillage is excellent and longevity is admirable. Bravo, Mr. Smith!

DENIULTRAS
DENIULTRAS

I just got it an hour ago, by courier, it is recommended.This is my second 'blind buy,and definitely, the last!!!Frankly,I'm not even sure that the original?Is that it is all by the book,and smells as it should,but even more I do not know.Maybe the original,maybe I overdid it though,probably 'cause I'm not a keen.He's not bad, even in my style,sweet, friendly,and very reminiscent of the Dior Homme,but it certainly feels the difference in class between DIOR and PAUL SMITH!Paul Smith is not at all that bad, generally as a brand,I even have their sweater, I just paid a solid,but here we are talking about perfume,and that Paul Smith still has much to learn!Man, as the perfume is on the trail again Dior Homme,even opposed to Dior,Here I feel and pepper,that is incredibly warm,and does not stick out,of course, first of all, thanks patchuli,including annise, also, there has been a powdery trace of iris,not feminine, thanks to tonka,more and violet less.Of course I forgot bergamot,I find that the majority of male sweet perfume.Also, I like,the perfume itself, apparently, linear, and yet so alluring,the errors, there is really no.Projections, at least on my skin, almost non-existent,because I suspect that may not be original,but similar happened to me with Code Ultimate,that is one hundred percent original,which was in turn purchased the 'blind buy,so it's probably the original Man.What's the point-as far as perfumes, were favorable,do not buy them without even trying,because somehow be less disappointed When try perfume,which we later standing on the shelves,which we later standing on the shelves,than 'blind buy,so we do not meet expectations in full,and even if I like it more than some that I've tried it and I liked less,From now on I always try first perfume, then I'll buy it,even less appeal to me,maybe this does not make sense, but now I only do so and not otherwise...

ComaSaan
ComaSaan

To my nose it starts very likely to Dior Homme, however changes into D&G Anthology Le Fou 21. I wonder if anyone got that. For me, its two perfumes in one.

No originality, however lasts long and projects well in warmer countries.

kavi
kavi

Great fragrance, I love it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's used as someone's signature scent.

I will also say that this can be regarded as a close relative of the mighty Dior Homme, like a younger, not so loud brother that never got as much love as he should have.

I feel this is more wearable than Dior Homme (even though I love DH and DHI).

Longevity and sillage is okay providing you don't use A*Men as the yardstick (where many would then just look outclassed). For the price, this is amazing, I would easily say if you like floral fragrances (Like Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Le Male, Fleur Du Male, etc...) this is one of the best bottles for your ££ or $$ or whatever you use!

Guest_haborym26
Guest_haborym26

fresh newspaper and smoke from sparkler.weird but gorgeous to my nose.drydown is more floral but still perfect.black simple and tasteful bottle goes hand in hand with this draconian breath.longevity is 8+ hours on my skin with good sillage.i am bewitched.

Bulu
Bulu

Nthing that this is very reminicent of Dior Homme, and it's lovely. It's a little softer than Dior and nicer for the warmer seasons I think. I just bought thus for my partner and it got the royal approval :)

MrMookie
MrMookie

I did hit the reminds me off Dior Homme (Intense) button as i smelled this today.
Next week i own a bottle of this and im pleased!
I had dior homme back in the days and it totally resembles it. There where DH projects massively in the first hour and get skinwise next hours this scent gets more time projecting overal, the mid section and drydown is iris just as DH, i must say Paul Smith was second with this lipstick / classy iris scent so credits to the noses who created DH and DHI
Overal a very well constructed scent for warm floral powdery scent lovers!

Peegore
Peegore

I bought Paul Smith Man as a sort of 'travel' version of my Dior Homme, something that smells similar but I could afford to damage/lose/spray copiously without thought to cost.

The opening is quite dry yet sour initially with a hint of green-ness, which I put down to the Yuzu fruit ( never heard of it before I got into fragrances. Here in Yorkshire we've only just learned how to open and eat a banana ), but this fades fairly quckly into the powdery iris and incense mid notes that remind me much of Dior Homme. Minus Dior Homme's lipsticky vibe I must add.

Also, as has been said, the opening is a little Fahrenheit-ish as well in that gassy sort of way.

Starts to reach skinscent levels a little faster than i'd like, after three or so hours, although I am still aware of it 7-8 hours into the day.

All in all I really do like Paul Smith Man, and it can be bought at very reasonable prices. A really good, affordable alternative to the mighty Dior Homme, and worthy of praise for it's quality in it's own right.

For about the first hour, it is very similar to Obsession Night for Women. That one is a bit more floral whereas PSM is a bit spicy. Then it goes into a Dior Homme direction, though without much in the way of leather or tobacco (that DH has). If this is what you're looking for, this is a good deal, particularly considering current prices at discounters/ebay. I prefer FUBU Plush for Men, which is more interesting and dynamic (featuring amaretto and suede/leather type notes), and I have a bottle of the ON, if I want that first hour of PSM to last several hours. I don't see this as more "masculine" than DH, just a bit different for the first hour or so (DH has a fruity quality that PSM does not). Projection ("sillage") seems at least good for a few hours, but longevity seems suspect, unless, perhaps you use a lot of sprays or you want something very subtle.

flaneur
flaneur

I was attracted to the fact that it resembled Dior Homme - at half the price. Lovely and incensey but it does not last on the skin. It disappears completely, which is a shame.

flowmax
flowmax

This one strongly resembles Dior Homme. But it is more edgy, though does not stay on the skin as long. Anyway it is much cheaper, almost half the price. A bargain !

GreenMan
GreenMan

This is bad, has no good qualities whatsoever... :) Sorry! Can´t believe it is the same person that made Enre Noire! Miles part they are these fragrances. Did she have a very bad day?

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I was instantly attacted to this. It starts with the aniseed blast I got from Dior Homme, and licoricey fruit smell that makea you think wow, i didnt expect that! Then it developsan calms, drying down with the patchouli/iris, floral green, woodsy body of Fahrenheit 32.
I didn't like either 32 of Dior homme in a way I couldnt wear them but I'm thinking PSMan might be fit for that spot they slipped past.
It was $25 for the 50ml when I saw it.

midos
midos

good fragrance. may be coz of Yuzu & bergamot this one has a sharp start then settle down to nice smokey incense perfume!
sillage & longevity above average.

update :
sillage : 7/10
longevity : really good : 8,5/10

smells some like : Dior Homme Dior

scentualMan
scentualMan

My experience is very similar to yilmazg, so I would encourage you to read his review below. I will add that this fragrance smells similar to those (Fahrenheit Abs. & Dior Hmm) and other recent masculine florals since 2008, but this is more masculine than most. There is a dry woodiness, no doubt it is the incense, that makes this scent decidedly masculine but the powdery florals gives it a modern feel. I think this is extremely versatile as I'm wearing it today on a day when it is 90+ degrees outside and I don't feel out of place. I'm sure it would be even more well-suited for a romantic evening in a cool, dark room (this is just the residue of bad marketing...lol).

It lasts very well - 8hrs or more on only a few sprays - and the smell is very nice and noticeable. My GF responded immediately and favorably to a few spritzes from the sample vial. I think I found my new evening signature...

Brettyboy
Brettyboy

Poor old Paul Smith fragrances. What happened? This has only been out for a couple of years and you cant go in a discount shop without seeing this at rock bottom prices now. I actually really like this even if the notes are a bit muddled and kind of unfinished.
I love incense fragrances and this one has a strong yet delicate juxtaposition. I do agree with the Dior comparisons but that cannot be a bad thing can it?
It has a very long lasting tonka dry down. I also like the jil Sanderesque bottle. It also begs the question: If this is to be found at bargain basement prices will they end up giving the terrible Paul Smith Man 2 away?

yilmazg
yilmazg

Very masculine Iris scent with incense playing the second major role. This is somewhere between Dior Homme and Fahrenheit Absolute, closer to Absolute. Indeed to my nose this is nearly identical to Fahrenheit absolute. The difference is Absolute gets dryer PS man is more floral and watery. I prefer PS Man.

Incense, violet and Iris make a very nice combination. Sillage is good, longevity very good. The powdery drydown is amazing. After 8 hours I can stil detect the iris note mixed with another note like chocolate. This is one of the best releases of 2009 and one of the best men's florals out there. I like Paul Smith Man a lot. 9/10

guest_haekal KL
guest_haekal KL

Smells VERY like Dunhill 51.3N.... Believe me...very nice sweet spicy smell.... Quite lost lasting one me!

RobbieX

Very nice fragrance - only tested it once but it was very pleasant (Man 2 not very good)

batabidd
batabidd

Again, another masculine floral attempt.
Launched as an woody oriental, but to my humble nose, it is rather a reinterpretated classic fougere. Perhaps it is the citrus/spice/powdery/patchouli accord.

"Man" starts strong and a little confusing as the top notes doesn't seem to work together, jumping and give way to each others notes, coming and going pretty straight forward from first application.
At some stage It has a funny "rubber-eraser" smell going on in the background.

Dry woods, anise, iris and violet melting with leather determinates an eclectic revival style to the scent.
I definately smell the patchouli and incense mixed with the flowey undertones which gives the fragrance a powdery scent.

"Man" smells appealing with soft spices, a masculine (thank god) incense-iris, but there is not nothing new in the market. It brings past and present smells with the goods and the bads.
Perfumers should start to invent new scents instead of copying/using the same competition notes or past fragrances.

In any case, for those who are looking for a masculine "Dior Homme", well, this is the answer.
Longevity is good. Projection is acceptable

[email protected]
o_ajibade@yahoo.com

lovely product i must say.keep it up

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

I tested this and in my opinion it smells like a sweeter version of Dior Homme. I can definately smell the patchouli and incense mixed with the floral undertones which gives the fragrance a powdery scent simular to Dior Homme. On first spray it is a little strong and the top notes don't seem to work, it smells very confusing. 6.5/10

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Paul Smith Paul Smith Man fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Paul Smith Paul Smith Man, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.