Designers » N-Q » Oriental Floral « Groups

Amaranthine Penhaligon`s for women

Amaranthine Penhaligon`s for women
dislike

ozonic
Amaranthine Penhaligon`s for women Pictures Amaranthine Penhaligon`s for women Pictures

Amaranthine opens with a dramatic flourish of spices and tropical green. This unsettling lick of drama is beautifully ambushed by an unctuous accord of jasmine and ylang-ylang, a heady bloom renowned for its aphrodisiac properties, and clove swathed in spices, tea, musk and the rounded beauty of tonka bean absolute.

Jewellery designer Alex Monroe has created a silver butterfly charm bracelet which sits around the neck of the limited edition bottle as well as a collection of jewellery pieces featuring butterflies and dragonflies which will be on sale at Penhaligon’s boutiques for a limited period.

Amaranthine by Penhaligon`s is a oriental floral fragrance for women. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour. Top notes are white freesia, tea, banana tree leaf, coriander and cardamom absolute; middle notes are carnation, Egyptian jasmine absolute, orange flower, ylang-ylang, clove and rose; base notes are musk, sandalwood, tonka bean absolute, vanilla and condensed milk. Amaranthine was launched in 2009.

Freesia Tea Palm Leaf Coriander Cardamom

Carnation Jasmine African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Clove Rose

Musk Sandalwood Tonka Bean Vanilla Milk

Sira des Indes
Aurore Nomade

Amaranthine Fragrance Reviews

velvetheart
velvetheart

Gorgeous!!! Delicious concoction!!! I love, love,love it!!! So creamy, sweet; banana dessert, vanilla, beautiful lush flowers, amazing warm spices, rich and potent, dreamy milky sandalwood, oozing with sensuousness and yumminess. Aromatic and calming, musky and evocative, erotic. Very very sensual, exotic, moorish and - yes! - lickable!!!! Very long-lasting and great sillage!!! Load, loads of compliments!!! My husband particularly adores it!!! It's absolutely heavenly!!!!

alexandra.1
alexandra.1

the sl*ttiest perfume i have ever put on my skin

can i say that?

i am obsessed with it.

i don't know much about notes and things, so to me it smells like the thickest part of spring. skin glowing and sensitive, the same temperature inside as outside.

it's Good Stuff, and i'm sad to hear it's been discontinued!

Larkelig
Larkelig

This is a kinky perfume. Milky, creamy, ripe... lickable. A very very bad bad naughty perfume. This is the fantasi smell of a german milkmaids nipple sweat. I only like to Wear it in the spring, and in the summer, when it is not to hot. An interesting perfume experience. Probably not for Work.

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

I love this fragrance. It is such an interesting combination with the milk, banana and ylang ylang. The scent starts off very green and gradually becomes more musky spicy and milky. Beautiful perfume

chrissychrispants
chrissychrispants

I liked this - I thought it smelled like a ripe horny milkmaid.

But my husband smelled only bananas and decomposing material.

nexangelus
nexangelus

This is hard to describe. The first notes on skin are very blunt. I don't know how else to describe it. The notes feel stunted, very green, fresh, but blunt. Let it sit though. It is by no means unpleasant (I work in care and deal with some supreme body bodge issues and this does not fall anywhere near the category of b.o.) The bluntness suddenly spices and sweetens up as your body heats and there is a breeze. It is one of those perfumes that morphs with movement and temperature and time. The scent near the skin is blunt, but the fumes that come off are not. I have experienced a few like this, confusing but interesting. Take your nose a way, away from your skin and there it is. Wow! It is a spicy, fresh, green plant scent (there is the sweet and milky banana at some points), this does not remind me of or smell similar to Sira des Indes, totally different scent (the latter being a powerhouse where this is quiet, subdued but still present) I am intrigued and impressed by Penhaligon's again.

SpudMurph
SpudMurph

I'm absolutely gutted that Penhaligon's have chosen to discontinue this fragrance. It's an absolute gem, and I totally love it. I'm using it sparingly now, as I have only one and a half bottles left. Such a shame.

lairderien
lairderien

I love this but its not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting something a little more outrageous / risque but on me this is a simply a lovely floral, milky / musky scent - no more, no less. I can see no resemblance to the inside of a woman's thigh (bit disappointing actually as I was curious as to how they would interpret THAT particular aroma.....). This one is obviously all down to individual skin chemistry. Lots of narcotic floral in the opening -I detect tuberose with some green notes (most likely banana leaf) and a little spice. As the fragrance develops, this turns to a devine, creamy dream - think sweet carnation milk mingled with some spicy musk and floral blooms. It never turns sour on me - always sweet. I don't find it too intense and have been wearing it around the office - no-one appears to have been corrupted yet :-) Longevity is pretty good (6-7 hrs for me). To me, this is similar to the now discontinued Miller Harris Coeur d'Ete - they both contain a lot of similar ingredients / notes. I would say that Coeur d'Ete is more intense and actually a bit 'funkier' (if thats your thing). This is certainly one of Penhaligons better creations - fans of this may well also like Tralala as they have a similar milky vibe.

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

I've been wearing this almost daily for several weeks. Started with a tiny little sample, went off and bought a 3.4oz bottle. But it's definitely an acquired taste. My first time trying the sample was a disaster. Out of 4 fragrances I tried, it was the only one that made me say, "absolutely not," and get up to wash my hands. But there is something exotic and seductive about the middle & base of this fragrance. It's worth a short wade through suffocatingly thick white florals and bitter green banana leaf. Amaranthine is sweet, and could even border on cloying, but those delicious spices and milk turn it into a soft and sexy treat. It comes down and sits close to the skin, but occasionally pulses outward, invitingly. I like the way I smell after an hour of wearing it and I like it all the way to the last traces.
Word of warning, though. For me, spraying is a no no. It gives off the scent of mothballs. Bleck. I recommend decanting some into a dauber or a roll on. It's the kind of thing you only need a touch of on important places, not something to bathe in.

molliedollie
molliedollie

It's possible that my sample has gone off... but I just don't get it. It wasn't dirty. It wasn't real. It wasn't much of anything. I wanted to like it so, so much. Mostly, it smelled exactly like Amarige with a slight suggestion of condensed milk. I want to try it again in one of the Penhaligon's shops, as perhaps I just got a dud.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

The first thing i smell is a screeching combination of milk of magnesia and metal. Persistent and annoying, I almost didn't get to the gorgeous drydown! I was so tempted to scrub but I had hope that there was something beautiful hidden under the harsh opening, that I decided to stick it out. After about 30 agonizing minutes the hypnotic jonquil appears and leaves a bed of heady floral softness. Fantastic drydown, but the fresh hell you have to go through to get to it ain't worth it IMHO.

polly golightly
polly golightly

meraviglia floreale e verde, con accenti speziati. una vera chicca. bella la presenza di ylang ylang

WendyMH
WendyMH

More an olfactory journey than a straightforward perfume. For the briefest moment I smell citronella - and then it opens with green banana leaf and then blooms white and yellow flowers while tonka bean appears. It smells just exactly like breathing in from the centers of flowers – the jasmine, the freesia, the ylang ylang come out. Not just the beautiful sunny bits, but the live roots and life force pushing through. At some point it gets a bit snarly and animalic. Whiffs of ammonia and even rubber. But this phase is passed through as well. As though the perfume then finds religion or learns to meditate. It finally transcends to a sublime spiced creamy milk, cardamom and tonka bean flow. It’s like a socialite with a raunchy little secret.

The dry down is spicy vanilla... Reminding me of a richer creamier Diptyque Eau Duelle.

It has darkness within its flowery billows. Stays close to the skin. I love it.

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Amaranthine(everlasting). Bertrand Duchaufour.
Recently I have been interested in narcissus as a note. Narcissus in perfumery seems to have more complex profile than some other “yellow “ flowers, I love to smell most of them in nature anyway.
I was lucky to find the review on the basenotes by kantafox, where the experience of smelling the Jonquil
(a type of Narcissus) oil is being described: the Jonquil oil is very expensive, so the review is precious too.
I will partially quote this review:
“0 min
Dark spicy coupled with green herbaceous notes and crushed peach leaves. Strong aldehydic and raunchy nature. The floral note is very dark & overbearing & slightly animalic.
12 min
Darker floral, almost eugenol note now more prominent, herbaceous crushed leaf note fading, animalic note becoming less intrusive.
1 hr
Floral sustained now with powdery creamy note apparent almost cloying, herbaceous crushed leaf notes almost undetectable, spicy eugenol note softer now.
2 hr
Jonquil now is velvety floral with powdery nuances, the dark characteristics have diminished & have been replaced by lighter notes, a slightly feminine musk with powdery notes. Creamy note still intact, spice note is non discernible & has become significantly cloying to me finish becoming clean.
3 hr
The floral now a bright powdery note the cloying nature is owed to what has become a honeyed nuance. The body still maintains that feminine musk that was identified earlier, the aldehydic nature is still there but so much lighter that it’s more of an afterthought. Powdered doughnut covered in a sweet sticky syrup, they sound good in theory but you really don’t want more than one or two bites…”

I wonder, if kantafox has smelled Jonquil oil or Amaranthine by Bertrand Duchaufour? Or is it too optimistic and flattering in regard to the mass produced fragrances of today(including Penhaligon's) to believe that such expensive natural ingredients as jonquil oil could be used for their production?

Narcissus odor profile is: heady, narcotic flower with sweet, hypnotic green nuances. Scent of narcissus oil-strong & rich; reminds smell of dark green leaves with traces of hyacinth & jasmine.
½ ton of flowers yields 300 gramm of absolute, sourced from Nether/Grasse.
May influence the nervous system: calms nerves and helps to release stress & tension, but in higher doses -headache and vomiting.
I f Bertrand Duchaufour used all these natural materials from the notes above to mimic so perfectly Narcissus or Jonquil smell, then bravo, bravo.
At the end (third day dry down on paper) I also smell sandalwood and...ginger? Amaranthine never smells synthetic in any familiar or unfamiliar way. I find nothing flirty or pretty or hypocritical here such as powdery vanillic sweetness, for example.
It smells rather sincere, green and fresh with sweetness that comes solely from flowers, tiny honey. It's a stand alone fragrance, and remarkably stands out among other Penhaligons fragrances, with enough personality to get all my attention. Very lovely, indeed.

gomt
gomt

Amaranthine doesn't smell like the inside of a lady's leg on me as it was intended to, but like the inside of a banana peel. Lush, a little bitter, milky. I detect freesia most of all, palm leaf, milk, cardamom and clove. It's a lovely perfume (even though not exactly my cup of tea), but still I am a tiny little bit disappointed. Given the reviews, I was expecting something dirty, but what I got reminded me of baby food rather than a woman's private parts.

It's pretty unique, not a safe blind buy. Sillage and longevity are average.

Ditta70
Ditta70

Well...I was really looking forward to get acquainted with this scent, as the description and reviews were intriguing to say the least. But when we did finally meet...oh, my!!! Sorry, folks, but the word that jumps to my mind is: disgusting! It rreminded me of a story, that I read quite some time ago when I was writing my final thesis on Napoleon at uni. Supposedly kinky young Bonaparte would send letters to his Josephine well before he was due home from a campaign or other occupation, telling her that he would be back in about two weeks, so Josephine was to stop washing down there. Now, smelling Amaranthine, I kinda got the experience he was looking forward to...unwashed Josephine plus some perfume. It actually made me nauseous. It is like smelling another woman's undies...and a woman's whose personal higiene is far from impeccable. I got what previous reviewers described as bum crack...yuck, gross! It does have some nice notes, but the overall experience for me was stomach churning.

Important advice to eveyone: please do NOT blind buy this fragrance! I loved it by the sound of it, but in the end it was a torture to have it on the back of my hand even for a few hours. (Well...at least I gave it a chance.) BTW, I showed it to my husband and he found it smelly, too...

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Wonderfully weird concoction that only Bertrand Duchaufour can create.

Sharp and pungent in the beginning, giving way to a milky green note. Ylang-ylang and neroli give it tropical and exotic quality. Floral burst provided by jasmine and freesia (some faint rose) and then there is this musky, ambery, golden pepper (which is actually not there but appears to be).

Apparently the brief for this fragrance was to make something smell like a woman's inside leg!!! Go figure!

Weirdly compelling and most certainly THE most daring of the otherwise rather conservative Penhaligon's range.

Great concept perfume!!! 8/10

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Bananas and milk! this is an amazingly realistic scent of lush palm leaves with one of the sexiest yellow flowers (ylang ylang), animalic notes of dairy and indolic jasmine. The clove is so out of place here, it is kind of disturbing, but fun nonetheless. Penhaligon's are geniuses at the way they use cloves in fragrances. Always in order to "dirty it up" it should appear. The other spices are playing a minor role to my nose and so are the other flowers... except for carnation! Here she smells like the bitter inside of a banana peel! amazing! This is really naughty fun in a bottle.

As the opening quiets down, lush tropical florals bloom loudly and the whole scent gets creamier, as if you had left condensed milk to warm up in the sun, in a half shaded area of the jungle. It also get more sour on my skin as time goes by, which is totally appropriate when you think of what happens to milk that has been left out.

*18 years old and over, please*

I risk to be a little vulgar or inappropriate here, but this reminds me very much of the "private lady part" scent in Nirmala. Except that Nirmala is the after and Amaranthine is the before. In the jungle. (Oh, dear. I'm getting way too comfortable with my reviews.)

I don't know how wearable this is to me, but it sure is fun to test.

@woodlandwalk: I totally get the vintage clothing B.O. smell as well. It's so funny! Weird, weird, weird perfume.

EDIT I'm testing other "serious" fragrances at the moment, and every time I go back to this one to test the dry down, I exclaim myself "oh God! oh God!" and shake my head, scrunching my face and I burst out laughing hysterically. Oh, Amaranthine... WTH!!??

Lakambini
Lakambini

The moment I applied this, I was struck by how realistic an impression of a flower in bloom it offered. A warm, summery tropical flower, not so much the clear scent of flowers in spring. But there was an odd note that kept getting in the way of my judgment that this was yet another high-end floral fragrance. It was a sappy note, green but not clean, reminding me somehow of heat, sweat, muck. There was also something that registered to me as the musk of clean skin, with an overlay of dried perspiration from the heat or from labor.

The combination was so disquieting I had to go check the list of notes, which I'm trying not to do nowadays, whenever I review a new perfume. Immediately I reaized it was the scent of banana leaves. Banana trunks, actually, banana flowers, any part of the plant except for the fruit. I grew up in a tropical country and bananas were everywhere, even in suburbian backyards, but this incredible scent was of a young girl's peramubulations off the beaten track -- of endless banana groves and the thatch huts in between, of artesian well water, unpaved mud-slicked paths, of sunlight on a tangle of vines, of Third World poverty.

As for the musky skin note (oh yes, "animalic" -- I do get the reference in Scorpiosheep's review) it may have been the effect of the milk accord in combination with the banana leaf, and my own memory.

The banana vegetation note will mean different things to many people: I can understand how Europeans would equate this with expensive and exotic, as the only banana plants they might encounter would be the disciplined, manicured ones decorating a corner at a tropical resort, and the musky animalic quality the result of their own recreational labors. I see how many would enjoy this perfume based on those images, experienced or imagined.

After I had identified the note, I couldn't enjoy this fragrance much longer, nor get a good, objective picture of the other elements of the composition. It smelled too realistically of a world infused with frustration, uncertainty and unrealized dreams.

EDIT: The dry-down IS to-die-for, though. Delicate and woody, almost no trace of the earlier accords. Such a strange, disjointed perfume.

JadedMuse
JadedMuse

I am quite new to the fragrance world but I'm learning as I go and I'm still learning terminology. What I do know is that I have a very strong sense of smell and a great olfactory memory so once I know a smell, I know it...as I go it will become easier and easier to recognize notes. While I knew that I loved some of the notes in Amaranthine, I didn't recognize some of the others by name and wasn't sure how they would smell or which notes would be more prominant on my skin. With that said...without knowing some of these notes by name, what immediately hit me like a giant brick against the side of my head was strong green and it took me a minute but I thought on it and I was like PARSLEY this smells like parsley and I not only have a great distaste for parsley but I am also very sensitive to it...in the way that it gives me headaches. So I went and researched the notes in this fragrance to find that one of the top notes Coriander, is essentially parsley and/or cilantro...lovely. I also smell a strong sweet floral that seems a lot like gardenia to me but I do not see gardenia listed so that one I'll have to investigate more.

Being that I've always been a big fan of heady floral/orientals and orientals with dark fruits/florals/spices I lean more towards the woody/balmy/spicy fragrances, so this green/tropical/spicy one was just a no go for me. I feel sad because I do like the middle and end notes but the top notes are soo strong and last long enough that I feel sick until that phase passes. I couldn't resist checking out the fragrance that was so notorious so I'll chalk it up to a beautiful bottle and a learning lesson, maybe one day I'll pick it up and love it.

Tomorrow my other notorious fragrance will arrive, Tom Ford Black Orchid...I can't wait!

doncol
doncol

The opening is fresh and green on me and I smell lots of tea and lily, I would have preferred the banana leaf people referred to. It developed into a soft floral but still lots of tea when I was hoping for rich, dense and creamy but unfortunately got watery. It certainly doesn’t smell like any tropical rain forest near where I live, more muted country garden and I don’t get any dirty or unusual smell. Its so close to my skin I have to put my arm under my nose to smell it and silage is zero. Its nice enough but ordinary on me I would prefer a perfume like Do Son or Datura Noir or the Kilian perfumes which linger forever.
CD Australia

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Wow, they weren't joking! I'm definitely getting 'animal', but it's distinctly human - a wee reminder that we are mammals after all. I doubt Penhaligons would let them get away with a title like 'Mammal'!

I wanted to get a sample of this because it sounded weird. I knew I might not necessarily wear it as it's a white floral and they don't seem to suit me (I really envy women who suit the big femme diva perfumes like Fracas)

I do find Amaranthine weird because at first sniff I get all the flowers and it's super feminine, but it only took about 5 minutes for the animal to emerge. At first it felt like I'd rubbed myself in someone else's B.O. Have you ever bought vintage clothes, like a fitted velvet jacket, and been a bit frustrated because the previous owner's body odour lingers forever?

But as this calms down, I get a chocolaty note and definitely the note you get from an old bottle of good quality jasmine essential oil. I think the polite term for this is faecal!

The milky note reminds me of a visit to a recreated English medieval village (think it was Singleton in Sussex) where they'd re-created houses using original materials - weirdly enough they used layers of milk for flooring, which I suppose hardened into solid calcium or magnesium. The smell was slightly sour but comforting, made me yearn for the days before 'sick building syndrome'.

In the dry down the animal notes calm down, and I'm reminded of 'beach skin' - a bit like the slightly cedary smell of sweaty skin at the end of a long hot day in the open air

Later edit: Oh, ouch! Ammonia, serious levels of it. Not for me then..If anyone would like to swap if they have any samples from my 'I want it' list please email!

sjam3295
sjam3295

To me, this is all freesia.Fresh, green, creamy and floral - this is a stunner! I'm with Sabel, can't stop smelling my wrist. Really lovely.

It does remind me a little of Organza, another favourite of mine, that same balance of creamy white florals and fresh greenness - but I think this is a little fresher. For me, this is one to buy - and their bottles are so beautiful, too! Sigh ... bliss!

Melis88
Melis88

Oh my...this smells like flowery,mossy hay on me. I get a "meatiness" feel to it as well. Like raw seasoned hamburger,milky flowers,and a salty ocean vibe. Feels like being with my Grandmother on vacation. Being familiar with most of the notes, I can sense the beauty in this when I delve deep. Unfortunatly it just smells awful on me.

Heliotrope
Heliotrope

Soft, delicately sweet, fresh, clean yet surprisingly sensual. I don't get the tropical flavours that people have mentioned. For me, this is summer flowers like meadowsweet, heliotrope, or garden pinks (dianthus), warm apricots, balanced by greener notes (the tea is definitely there) and a hint of musk and nutty woods in the drydown, which is smooth and long-lasting.
I'd defy anyone not to like this - deliciously relaxing and harmonious, but with something mysterious that keeps you awake and wanting more.

I want it, but the price is scary.

EDIT: Well, I bought it, and guess what, I realized I had confused Amaranthine with Artemesia (also Penhaligon). So the review above is actually for Artemesia. What an idiot, I'm really sorry if I've confused people. No wonder I was puzzled by all the references to tropical banana leaves, etc!

To be honest I'm not keen on Amaranthine, I find it interesting, different, but too disturbing to wear. Artemesia on the other hand is fresh and soothing like a summer meadow .

scentous
scentous

This is a beautiful scent quite unique, with the classiness of Penghalion's. Opening is big floral, i get some flowers which are not listed above (hyacinth, lily of the valley for instance), ylang ylang and a while later carnation seem dominating. Very fresh and herbal floral opening (banana leaf?) fades and honeyed milk with spices take place. But even in the drydown floral identity is always there. Except the opening, this is very much the same with L'instant de Guerlain with a little more spice. İt is interesting to see such variations about the sillage, as some fragranticans call it "close to skin" and the others "sillage monster", to me it is somewhere in between.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Big banana leafiness in this, though it's not in the notes. This is a super creamy ylang ylang milkshake, with lots of leafy greens and spices thrown in. There is something quite animalic about it. Absolute sillage bomb. But this is far too similar to Jean Patou Sira des Indes for me to bother much with it, and I like Sira des Indes better, it's a little less full on.

sky blue
sky blue

I didn't like it at first, because of a wierd banana tree leaf note but after trying it few more times I have found it interesting: herbal, leafy-green at first, then in the middle notes sort of an interesting combination of green and softer floral-oriental notes and finally in the drydown it developes into a creamy-milky-woody scent, sensual, alluring and kind of addictive.

A bit strange, but nice and interesting fragrance, sort of special and unlike any other. Feminine green-floral-oriental with a twist.

Guest_nikkimouse
Guest_nikkimouse

Close but no cigar :/

This reminds me so much of a few others, once being my beloved Comme de Garcons 2 and Costume national 21 , just poorer quality, weaker concentration... and well, just simply .. not nearly as good. This is a big PASS for me, sorry guys/girls

Jellybean
Jellybean

Milky grass is my initial impression of this.
Creamy notes (burnt milk) and lots of greens, grass, leaves, and go figure what else..., possibly baby puke.. disgusting!
Such a strange perfume. It has vomit inducing powers.
I had high hopes for this one. Glad to sample it first. I hope I never encounter this scent near me. I cannot stomach this; it is one of these really bad smells where all the notes are off key.

aschiffm
aschiffm

This is not your typical tropical scent, it has a spicy kick . Like spicy Melty bananas and powdered milk in a creamy sandalwood and exotic ylang ylang sauce. It is so unique and pleasant. Its like a hippie oriental that turned white, milky and tropical. This scent makes me feel counterculture, esoteric and sexy in a kittenesque way. This is what I want to smell like in summer- soft , soothing, mildly fresh, beautifully clear, snuggly and faintly sweet and spicy. Refreshing and balmy. Also works well for winter surprisingly, because it's so cozy like a spiced latte with an eccentric beguiling womanly edge.

FairyDust
FairyDust

GLORIOUS!! To me, Amaranthine smells EXACTLY, and I do mean EXACTLY, like the sweet, heady, INTOXICATING smell of freshly bloomed hyacinth. Not sure why because hyacinth isn't listed here.

One of my favorite times of year is when the hyacinth explodes into spectacular technicolor permeating the air with its DECADENT scent. Looking at the notes here, I now realize why I love that smell. If I had to describe the succulence and deliciousness of hyacinth, then I would say I smell everything listed here, especially the rose, sandalwood, thick, fleshy, luscious green (must be the palm leaf), and honey. Although there is no honey listed here, the milk and tonka bean lend that effect. YUM!

Somehow, mixed together these notes exactly replicate that blissful hyacinth experience without screaming floral at the same time. It's just that fresh, creamy, edible, kind of sweet, oh so opulent green (not grass green), the kind you just want to bite into! It's brisk, it's a little strange, it's absolutely intoxicating as in 'What IS that heavenly aroma?!'

Hard to describe, but what is even more incredible is that Penhaligon actually found a way to capture nature so perfectly without resulting in any synthetic or screeching chemical notes. I feel as though I have actually been placed INSIDE the hyacinth a moment just before it bursts into bloom!

Upon drydown, the honey and sandalwood really warm this up to sublime perfection. Sillage is great and longevity is a good five hours, so far, and still going.

I think this one would actually be good on my husband too, because of the green, creamy, slightly powdery, spicy notes underlying that seem to work well in unisex fragrances.

Amaranthine reminds me of my time spent in Paris in the spring with my sweet hubby. It's funny because I was reviewing WHAT WE DO IN PARIS earlier along with AMARANTHINE, but I think out of the two the only one that really does make me think of Paris is AMARANTHINE!

Just three words: HEADY, INTOXICATING, and ADDICTIVE!! Love, love, LOVE this!!

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

The sandalwood here is very light more of a background canvas. The spices are most prominent to me and the tropical edge people mention, I wouldn't have noticed unless I read the description here. I find more a creamy sweetness from the sandalwood than anything fruity or edible.

I can't imagine wearing this in the day; it's simply too lush, too sensual. I had been looking for something along the lines of Estee Lauder's Sensuous because I liked it but it always seemed flawed to me like something was unraveling as it dryed down. Oddly enough, because of the presence of musk it also reminds me of Sensuous Nude as well (although that hs no spice). This seems a much better choice than either.

People who like Narcisco Rodriguez for Her may want to try this.

hhgallagurl
hhgallagurl

When I wear this I am transported to a lush elegant floral garden in the middle of a tropical rainforest drinking tea and eating creamy delicate desserts. It is light enough to wear everyday and lasts on my skin for 24 hrs. My skin tends to amplify most scents. Projection is poor but will last on the skin in a very intimate way.

+ After wearing this for some time I notice a high pitched note (freesia?) that bothers me sometimes. I still enjoy wearing it but i prefer to wear it less often so not to become annoyed with it. For some reason this scent reminds me of those banana hard candies

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

full of colours is right, this is wonderfull but weak and so close to the skin, it is intimate scent !
but there is a pure parfum version you can see it in the pictures with a little violet coloured bottle with silver at the top, like a fruit, it costs about 500 $ and 399 euros i think !!

if i was rich i woul buy it, yes cause this perfume is really dangerous, it is like a liquorous milky venom, exotic it smells like tropical plants, imagine yourself in a very sweaty environment, heat and warm with very green smells of leafs of tropical trees, this is really mysterious and dirty very sensual but not provocative you feel like" une créature à part " you feel like you are not in the place, like if everything is moving but you , an experience to live !

full_of_colours
full_of_colours

This is lovely but so close to the skin that I can barely smell it after an hour. Oh well!

ineverwas
ineverwas

Amaranthine reminds me of a lighter, more transparent L'Instant de Guerlain.

At first, it opens sweet and rather soapy, kind of like a tropical fragrance shampoo, then it dries down to a more natural, yet intoxicating leafy smell, reminding of a humid exotic greenhouse. It's somehow simultaneously very realistic and very artificial, plastic and nature, side by side.

Amaranthine is probably at its best on warm spring and summer days, its lasting power is okay (around 8 hours) and the sillage is modest. It will not choke anyone around you.

As a final note, do not blind buy this! Chances are there will be quite a huge difference between what you will expect by reading about it and what you will actually get.

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

The drydown is very ripe, very alluring, very close to the skin. Great for date night.

PiggyB
PiggyB

I feel like I am having lunch with Indian friends in a green house of tropical plants. Spicy and Green, Lovely.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Amaranthine is really nice. It reminds me somewhat of Organza because it's essentially a lot of white floral notes warmed by some cozy, creamy notes. Personally I think I like Amaranthine more. I think this could be a lovely perfume to wear during months when there are a lot of cool, spring showers. It's also a warmer, richer alternative to the standard white floral perfume. Sillage is great, yet it's a light enough scent that it could be worn every day.

Also, something about this made me feel it could be the shyer, quieter cousin of Dior Addict.

adrienn99
adrienn99

nice blend of everything I like. Warmed, creamy flower notes with a tropical upbeat. There is a disturbing note though which kept appearing and disappearing during those 4-5 hours i spent with this fragrance. Not sure whether it is the cloves?

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Creamy sweet lily.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

To begin with there’s a harsh greenish-woody note that quickly settles into a slightly indolic white floral. I don’t get much in the way of spices, mostly the jasmine and a soapy note. Oddly, after a half hour or so there seems to be a lot of sillage, redolent of harsh wood and what must be condensed milk (not something I indulge in since I can’t stand the taste and it gives me an upset stomach) but not much close to the skin.

Eventually the white floral fades away into a faint sandalwood, with the whole thing lasting about 5-6 hours. Basically, Amaranthine is a white floral. There are quite a few perfumes in that genre that I like better, so am not sure why so many people seem to love it.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

On me it is quite floral, typical Penhaligon's: elegant and a little strict, a Real Lady's scent. I want to like it so much, but it has a note (the same as in Lacoste pour femme, I think it is freesia) that I'm not fond of ((( But in Amaranthine this note isn't too nasty, so may be we'll be friends with this scent. I recommend this for those who's not afraid of freesia and want an elegant classic and modern scent in one bottle.

romanticflower
romanticflower

Amaranthine opens with sparkling fresh green notes that after few minutes became warmer thanks to flowers. In its heart i can recognize rose and carnation stronger that the others. Then the drydown is very sweet and it's like vanilla powder.i think taht condensed milk gives cremosity to the composition.i recomend it for who loves mistery and wants to be seductive...

lucifera
lucifera

since im an obvlious florientalgirl i love this one too! perfect for colder days
this brand has amazing stayingpower, i did remember trying it and it stayed on my wrist for quite a while,im obsessed with ellenisia right now but amaranthine could be my next purchase, i secretly suspect they had enya as their inspiration to name it:)

adele l
adele l

This is really unique. however i've tried my decant a couple of times and i keep detecting a strange note that gives it a vegetal,watery note similar to frederic malle's perfume d therese- a little bit of a wet diaper note. I would suggest trying it to ensure it doesn't clash with skin chemistry b/c it certainly is interesting.

Rich, dense tropical flowers with a creamy smooth sensation that reminds me of Star Jasmine blooming on the tree in sunlight. Lush, silky and gorgeous, it's summer vacation in a bottle. I don't care for white flowers, but I love this. Perhaps it's the green and slightly dirty notes that change it from a dreaded Big White Floral to a evocative poem of beauty. Loving it.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Top notes were very weak to my nose, I barely caught them at all.

It has since bloomed to smell like a twin to YSL Cinema, albeit without the rich oiliness. Admittedly my nose isn't very sophisticated so I compared the notes and aside from Jasmine, Musk & Vanilla (in almost everything anyway), they have nothing in common. I cannot understand where this is coming from but I find them virtually indistinguishable.

Of course I really like it but I already have Cinema so a purchase of Amaranthine would be redundant.

I had great expectations for this. An oriental floral with such a beautiful name and packaging could be my new treasure! When I had tha chance to try it on my skin, not only on paper, I felt very disappointed. It smells disturbingly vegetale from start to end. It smells of green leaves, namely banana leaves and then I smell a metallic edge. Where is the beauty of african Orange flower, ylang-ylang, rose, musk, vanilla??? Milk? Maybe an acrid one. It has a nauseous rotten vegetal smell that it slightly reminding of Cacharel Eden, even if the whole scent is different.
I will test it again, you never know, but I had this scent on my wrist and on jacket sleeves for many hours and didn't like it at all.

KJanicki
KJanicki

It starts green and floral, like fantasy tropical flower. It reminds me of a lily but fleshier, like thick jasmine. As it dries the floral gets sweaty and creamier. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's a steamy island fantasy.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

Amazing how perfumers nowadays succeed to create such a rare and original fragrance while an inumerable diversity of perfumes already is on the market. This scent is unique in its composition as it is oriental but not heavy in the base and starts with quite unusual and surprisingly bitter top notes. It is this development from a fresh bitterness in the beginning which layers down to a woody-creamy slightly vanillic scent that makes it bold and unique. On my skin may be a bit too masculine and edgy, I certainly will enjoy smelling it on others.

Mals86
Mals86

This is that rare thing, a transparent oriental floral. I've worn it several times over the last week, in our cold and rainy weather, and I think it might be even more wearable in springtime, or for the evening at the end of summer.

What Amaranthine reminds me most of is an orchid greenhouse I visited during a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii, where we'd gone to see the volcanoes. That side of the island lacks resorts and that "tropical paradise tourist spot" vibe. It's greeeeeen, sprinkled here and there with flowers, but less suntan-oil-and-bikinis-and-maitais, more plump Hawaiian grandmas in bright housedress-like muu-muus, gardening outside their modest houses. It's *real* in a way that Maui is not.

And Amaranthine is *real* too - I smell the green banana and the freesia most strongly in it, along with a bit of orange blossom. It's not marine, but it is a bit watery, so that you think of, say, a light rain that lasts half an hour, and then goes away. There is just a hint of spice; to my nose it's far less than I expected given the list of notes. This dewy white floral eventually fades into a light, but sensual skin scent that is mostly wood and tonka bean on me, with a smoothness probably from the milky note, and there's the suggestion of warm, moist skin - not quite sweaty, but that humid breath skin seems to give off in a warm evening.

It's beautiful.

kewart
kewart

I have only smelled this once, whilst visiting Penhaligon's in September, but I can still remember the sensual "meatiness" of it weeks later. It is a hugely attractive, womanly perfume that is incredibly addictive. The milky, musky, woody basenotes give it a creamy gravitas and the banana and cardamom only add to the feeling of burgeoning ripeness. I predict this will be very popullar.