Designers » N-Q » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Esprit du Roi Penhaligon`s for men

Esprit du Roi Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

Esprit du Roi Penhaligon`s for men Pictures Esprit du Roi Penhaligon`s for men Pictures

The Anthology Collection was launched in 2009 with the first four fragrances; Extract of Limes, Eau de Verveine, Gardenia and Night Scented Stock. Orange Blossom, Eau de Cologne, Jubilee Bouquet and Zizonia followed in 2010. This July, the collection is completed with these final two scents.

Penhaligon’s has a long and distinguished history in the world of British perfumery dating back to the 1870s when William Penhaligon moved to London from Cornwall and starting creating fine fragrances for discerning gentlemen. With this rich heritage and an archive of formulations, Penhaligon’s have breathed life into ten of its heritage fragrances dating back as far as 1927.

A selection of these formulations have remained unchanged, offering a unique insight into the fragrance tastes and trends of the era, whilst others have been carefully reformulated to ensure they appeal to modern fragrance wearers while still retaining a unique heritage feel.

Originally created in 1983, Esprit du Roi returns as a lush woody citrus, heady with swirling scented foliage. Fresh tomato leaf, mint and raspberry leaf are combined with rich florals, warm woods and potent musks to create this masterpiece of contrasts.

Head: Citrus Accord, Bergamot, Mandarin, Cedrat, Mint, Tomato Leaf, Davana Essence, Aldehydes, Cardamom Absolute

Heart: Clove, Egyptian Geranium, Madagascan Ylang Ylang, Jasmine, Honeysuckle

Base: Vetiver, Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Raspberry Absolute, White Musk, Ambergris, Oakmoss, Africa Stone. Esprit du Roi was launched in 2011. The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Citruses Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Mint Tomato Leaf Cardamom Aldehydes Artemisia Mandarin Orange Citron

Jasmine Geranium Ylang-Ylang Honeysuckle Cloves

Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Patchouli oak moss Virginia Cedar Raspberry Ambergris

Esprit du Roi Fragrance Reviews

vinyl_junky
vinyl_junky

Esprit du Roi was an impulse buy when I was at the Penhaligon's store looking for a gift. This is the closest I've found to a "traditional" EDC, but at the same time it isn't overbearing (as Sartorial and Opus 1870 can be, in my opinion).

The open is a burst of citrus, blended with mint, raspberry, tomato leaf and geranium. The latter notes sustain into the drydown, after the aldehydes, vetiver and oak moss kick in. There's also a hint of musk in the drydown. The tomato leaf makes this a rather tart and astringent fragrance, but it works very well in my opinion.

To me, this definitely isn't a citrus aromatic. The citrus lasts for maybe a minute, before you get the divine florals and oakmoss-musk base. It's more in chypre territory, to be honest, so don't expect too much citrus.

While this is a very complex fragrance, it's extremely versatile. I think you could wear this anytime of the day for any season. I personally like wearing it to the office. It's subtle enough that you don't raise too many eyebrows, but at the same time unique.

Longevity is good, I get over 6 hours on my skin with moderate sillage.

Lambda
Lambda

Three solid sprays on my arm, night time in spring: wow, what a beauty. One of my best fragrances.

I recommend this.

daynierds
daynierds

It was a blind buy after being stuck between this and castile....A nice addition to the collection of refined TRADITIONAL cologne lovers. I like Bayolea better (a bit more modern smelling) this is just not great...not bad either...just an upper average cologne...BTW..the bottle is just gorgeous...
Smell: 7 out of 10
Projection 6 out of 10
Longevity 7 out of 10 (5-7 hours)
Presentation 9 out of 10
versatility: 7 out of 10
Overall: like a 7 out of 10

Edit: After a couple of more wearings I have changed my opinion on this a bit....it is a very nice fragrance indeed...very manly...not so abbrasive like Sartorial which is a good thing....It immnediately came to my mind some resemblance to Acqua di parma colonia (original, intensa)...at the end I just discovered all were made by the same parfumeur....it is definitely SOMEHOW similar to those ones......they share the same DNA....if you like those one...you may indeed like this one as well....so...here is my final score...
Smell: 8 out of 10
Projection 6 out of 10
Longevity 6 out of 10 (4-7 hours) but after the first 2-3 hours it gets really close to the skin
Presentation 9 out of 10
versatility: 7 out of 10
Overall: like a 8 out of 10

A great fragrance for the classic cologne lovers...very well done!!!!

ralopa
ralopa

A combination of Dolce & Gabbana The One (2008) and Guerlain Herba Fresca (1999).

Neither creative, nor impressive.

Rating: 7.0/10

cizekon
cizekon

I love this scent. It was my first Penhaligon´s purchase and totally blind-buy, since there is no store in Prague, where you could try Penhaligon´s scents.
It wasn´t love at first sniff but now I absolutely adore the smell. I wear this fragrance very often in Spring/Autumn, especially when it´s rainy outside. I prefere it as a work scent, because it has a clean, green and slightly woody aroma that in my opinion suits best for a professional environment. It´s not sexy, it´s just beautifully clean.
What I mainly notice is mint, citrus, tomato leaf and aldehydes. The scent last about 6 hours and projects pretty well.

Give it a try!

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I don't know if it's my nose meter but I don't smell as much citrus notes as those who can but I'm able to pick up some lavender? When I first spray this fragrance on my skin I get a real attractive barbershop aroma with. .. a clean aroma of floral scent with a hint of lavender, musk and sandalwood giving it a deep masculine herbal aromatic scent.
If I didn't know better I would swear that lavender is part of this fragrance's make-up.
Longevity and Silage is moderate overall.
Finally,
This fragrance is "THE" barbershop aromatic scent with a powdery vib. Penhaligon has produced real attractive masculine fragrance's...real gentlemen's fragrance..not your typical youthful aroma. 8/10...an all year round fragrance. Give this frag a try...you might enjoy this fragrance.

Danyeal
Danyeal

I adore this scent, I can spray it on my pulse points and it last whole day for me.

AZ
AZ

For me it is the best fresh frag different then others I used. Highly recommended it.

fhooper
fhooper

I thought I'd try some new perfumes, and stopped in at Penhaligon's yesterday. I've used Quercus in the past and love it - and also it seems to last quite well on me. But I have to agree with Papi that this one, although a lovely scent, doesn't really seem to last well at all.

Papi
Papi

Awesome smell but does it fades away so quickly on you as well ???

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Esprit du Roi fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Esprit du Roi, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Esprit du Roi by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Esprit du Roi by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.