Designers » N-Q » Oriental Spicy « Groups

LP No.9 for Men Penhaligon`s for men

LP No.9 for Men Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

cinnamon

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon`s is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for men. LP No.9 for Men was launched in 1999. The nose behind this fragrance is Christian Provenzano. Top notes are mandarin orange, bergamot and palisander rosewood; middle notes are nutmeg, cloves, pepper, cinnamon, jasmine, orris, rose and ylang-ylang; base notes are amber, vanilla, musk and patchouli.

Mandarin Orange Bergamot Palisander Rosewood

Flibustier

LP No.9 for Men Fragrance Reviews

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

This is probably my favourite sweet scent at the moment (well this and LIDGE), the dry down is just sublime on my skin and it leaves a great scent trail. Incredibly sexy and it usually lasts until I wake up the next morning... perfect. (Note- I layer it with the Body Shop Activist deodorant and shower gel)...

errr1c
errr1c

It's to feminine for me, but I guess it can be really good choice for a mid 30 women. Really liked base notes, tho.

dr.astrov
dr.astrov

This is a lovely, warm spicy blend. There's quite a lot going on, but nothing overpowers, and thankfully the clove note is reasonably subtle. The drydown retains the spice with some subtle mandarin and bergamot lingering. To me, this is probably more of an evening scent, but whenever it's worn, the elegance shines through. It's a shame it seems to be one of the lesser known Penhaligon's male fragrances. It's possibly got a younger vibe than many of their colognes too.

MjrS
MjrS

Yes! YES!!! My dreams came true - I've found an improved version of YSL Opium PH with prolonged longevity!
Happy, happy, happy!

KJS88
KJS88

Less vanillic, yet somehow smoother, and more refined than Opium PH, and the resemblance is very definitely there. Also lacks the black current note that I hated in the YSL. Wears better overall, and I'm complimented every time I wear this. While it does not smell dated at all, it stands out because it's not common.

This reminds me of a sample of Jacomo de Jacomo I received in 2008, though that one had obvious lavender too. This may smell more natural than that one as well. Yes, you had better enjoy clove notes, but I do so keep that in mind, as the spice is the only major player here. This also reminds me of Opium Pour Homme EdP, though I think the vanilla was a bit more obvious there.

Jamiljames
Jamiljames

I really like how this is a hot spicy fragrance. This fragrance wears well on the skin and develops nicely. I love the strength of the clove and this is well compliment by other elements. Great stuff

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Cinnamon and spices. It has below average projection and moderate longevity on my skin. Kinda reminds me a bit of Five O'clock by Serge Lutens but without the ginger and tea note.

In my experience Penhaligon's deliver very well blended compositions and LP No.9 is no exception. Usually when looking at the notes (especially on here) I'm a little perturbed by the main note sometimes and clove isn't one of my favourites. However, Penhaligon's deliver yet again on quality and none of the notes in this are too prominent. It has a opening of bergamot with the warmth of amber and the spice of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. LP No.9 is also peppery, dark feeling and musky...typical complexity which comes off as effortless simplicity. It's quite intoxicating really and very masculine, I've got to admit I'm really taken by it.
Longevity is not bad at all either and it projects pretty well.

williamvargas
williamvargas

spicy and sexy smell.. I like it, I think james bond, will be getting myself some of this bad boy..or man.. grr.. definitely a scent for men..not boys.
at first I wasn't sure..but after wearing this awhile It grew on me. I think one of those that if you give it some time and you will appreciate this scent more. I think the wearer will like the way he smells. I know I did.
one lady that I worked with actually used the term sexy.. so I thought ok then.

jtd
jtd

I got two blind buys on the same day. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cherie par Camille reinforces the blind buy. If I were to mistake my lucky randomness for logic I would never have to smell another perfume before buying again, because it’s brilliant. Penhaligon’s Love Potion no 9 makes me want to repent for my sin of blind-buying, and I’m not even a Christian. A 50 mL bottle was $25 at a discount store, so not an enormous loss. Still, foolish.

As much as I promote gender non-specificity in perfume use, there is a vocabulary of contemporary perfume that is gendered. LP falls into the ‘male’ category. It brings to mind a sneering prick. It smells of masculine narcissism, conformity and unrecognized low self-esteem. I hate this perfume. It’s the nightmarish mirror-image of a specific era of the fougere: the musky, floral fougere that became extinct with the advent of Cool Water. Rememeber Paco Rabanne Tenere? Givenchy Xeryus? LP is the cloying, unbalanced version of this style. Spicy musky, in Tenere and Xeryus, is turned to a rising nausea in LP no 9. Just say no.

Blind buying: will it be winning the lottery, as was the case with the Goutal, or the penance for transgression, as in the Penhaligon’s? As my boyfriend captures the essence of karma with his southern charm, “God don’t like ugly.” I suppose I deserve to be punished for my bad choice.

from scenthurdle

Contrary to popular opinion, the 'LP' in Penhaligon's LP No.9 for men does not stand for "Love Potion". No, it stands for "Long Playing" no 9. That's because this "eau de toilette" packs a potent punch, and becomes stronger not weaker over time, culminating ultimately in a bizarre spiced-oriental barbershop fougère. It also morphs back and forth between fougère and oriental, at times reminding me of PRADA AMBER pour homme and Bond no 9 COOPER SQUARE, at other times reminding me of something rather stifling and nameless.

Penhaligon's is a funny house. They do seem British somehow, which I know sounds like a stereotype, but of course it is. I have a bottle of Pecksniff's bubble bath, on which the self-deprecating information is printed that (paraphrased), "there are very few British perfume makers, and we are proud to be one of them)." My favorite British house is Miller Harris, but that's another story.

I was shocked to discover the Penhaligon's--L'Artisan Parfumeur connection not too long ago. I only figured it out because they held simultaneous sales, and fulfillment came from the same place, and the websites were designed almost exactly the same. Then I discovered that Bertrand Duchaufour has created scents for both houses. But somehow Penhaligon's has this old school vibe which strikes me as just slightly off somehow, at least in some cases.

Especially with the LP duo, I find that a whole bunch of heavy spices were thrown into the mix to, well, spice things up. The effect is not entirely harmonious, and it's certainly not romantic, whatever else it may be. Unlike one reviewer I've read, I do not hate this perfume, but I also don't really cherish the thought of wearing it again. It's not exactly painful to wear, but it is somewhat challenging and discordant. To me, at least, LP No. 9 FOR MEN is not such a pleasure to wear. Perhaps it is better suited for men?

Scampbe11
Scampbe11

I bought this one for $20 at a winners (Canadian Marshall's equivillant) Shhhhhhhh. It's the PERFECT Christmas scent and if it doesnt go bad, it will be my goto until my last Christmas (oh is that morbid???). It will be worn every evening that my Christmas tree is up lol. I don't really care if anyone else like it! It opens with the smell of cloves, cinnimon and nutmeg and then settles into this mix of barbershop and bakery. Oh Idunno... it just smells good - but so does sunscreen to me.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

This is pleasant enough, mostly linear, but the amber and musk base notes can also be found in several other brands (some of the Hugo Boss line in particular). You should be able to find a nearly identical scent at a much lower cost.

I really love Endymion, but LP No. 9 was just ok.

Zenith
Zenith

a very realistic and masculine clove based fragrance. Cloves and pepper, with a nice amber base. The opening is quite powerful and sharp, but smooths out very nicely.

Unfortunately my experience with the strength and longevity do not match most of the comments, lasting around four hours before I could not detect it any more. A nice fragrance, but I was dissapointed it didn't last longer

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Very spicy and exotic in a way that reminds me of the Orient. It gets sweeter on the drydown and the sillage reins itself in after many hours. A good evening fragrance though you have to be easy on the trigger as it's quite potent.

I happened to be browsing in a perfume boutique the other day, searching for ideas for a fragrance for my boyfriend. I had begun to complain to the sales assistant about his smoking habit interfering with anything perfume-wise, when she recommended LP No.9 for Men.

The moment I smelt this, I understood why she introduced it to me. This fragrance is all about the spices and it actually smells like something a bad-boy smoker in a leather jacket would wear.

Forget all that love potion nonsense, this is rough, manly and sexy. I hesitated to buy this for my man because I was afraid that every woman in sight would want to jump him if he wore this in public.

The cloves, geranium, pepper, orange and nutmeg are quite prominent throughout the composition, although there is a hint of sweetness every now and then, possibly brought about by the cinnamon, and what could be vanilla.

The spices in LP No.9 for Men are more animalistic than exotic. Don't expect a spice bazaar in this particular fragrance. By the drydown I can almost detect a hint of caramel, so there are sweet aspects to this as well.

Unfortunately the lasting power isn't all that wonderful, tending to vanish after six hours into almost nothing. I would love it if this were more intense and lasting. Yet overall, I am quite impressed, with this fragrance being a great introduction to the house of Penhaligon's.

CaraMia
CaraMia

I really hate the name for this one, Love Potion No.9, lifted from a silly song and who would want to kiss everything in sight?

That little rant out of the way, I'd like to offer praise for this scent, recently saved from discontinuation by Penhaligon's. My dear husband was strictly an Old Spice kinda guy and then only rarely. But it was the spice he liked, though he admitted that OS was a bit sugary and pretty "common". One day we discovered LP no.9 and its whole wonderful range of spicy notes. He actually liked this one and it was his next birthday gift. I think the cardamom was the clincher.

It's really wonderful! It's spicy yes, but instead of sugar spicy it is a cool woody spicy The sandalwood is wonderful in this one and the vetiver also keeps it just a bit bracing.

The citrusy top notes do not last long at all and he was pleased by this as he finds citrus too foody. Yes spice is "food" in a way but LP is not saddled with vanilla or a "baked goods" feel. It also lacks the arty incensy tones so popular now.

If you are looking for a spicy (not dowdy) alternative to good old Old Spice or don't care for marine scents LP No.9 is definitely worth a try. It's a fairly traditional fragrance that can be worn anyplace and the staying power, like that of all Penhaligon's I have tried, is first rate.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s LP No.9 for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s LP No.9 for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

beauty at ebay