Designers » N-Q » Leather « Groups

Much Ado About The Duke Penhaligon`s for men

Much Ado About The Duke Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

leather

Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon`s is a Leather fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. Much Ado About The Duke was launched in 2016. The nose behind this fragrance is Daphne Bugey. The fragrance features rose, leather, gin, pepper and woody notes.

Rose Leather Gin Pepper Woody Notes

Rose 31
2000 et Une Rose
Mille et Une Roses
Acteur

Much Ado About The Duke Fragrance Reviews

antonpan
antonpan

From the first sight you could suggest The Duke is a Le Labo Rose 31 clone. In fact, it's not.
I compared them on both of my hands and came to the conclusion the cumin part is the only one that make them similar. Rose 31 smells drier, with a notable oudy vibe and a very little rose. The Duke is sour, with a prominent rose and a boozy accord of red fruits (berries) that you will not find in Rose 31.

As a verdict, the fragrances smell to me as yin-yang: Rose 31 will better suit men, The Duke is better for women. However, that's all depends on the taste - I enjoy wearing both of fragrances.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Much Ado About The Duke opens with brief fresh citrus, and immediately reveals a tart, red rose, covered with fiery, woody black pepper and cumin. The cumin here adds an earthy warmth, but doesn't appear explicitly sweaty or too sharp to my nose.

The fragrance doesn't undergo any dramatic change. The ruby rose and woody pepper are always the dominant forces, and they interlock even more with time. The rose develops a dry texture by absorbing the woody pepper, while the cumin gradually recedes into the background. While undeniably woody and spicy, the fragrance maintains a certain transparency, modern and slick in style.

The far dry down about 8 hours in, even the woody pepper disappears, leaving only a faint, clean, musky wine-y rose skin scent behind. The sillage is relatively close, and the longevity is close to 12 hours on my skin.

Much Ado About The Duke is a lovely woody spicy rose fragrance, and I'd recommend giving it a try if you happen to looking for a streamlined, modern take in this genre. However, I do find it very similar to Le Labo Rose 31. The main differences that I can perceive, are that, in comparison, Much Ado About The Duke feels a bit brighter and fresher, with the rose being slightly more prominent than woody pepper (this aspect sometimes makes me think of Iso E Super), while Rose 31 has more emphasis on woody elements with the addition of vetiver and guaiac. But overall, they're quite close in scent to my nose. Therefore, I'd also suggest giving Rose 31 or other similar and less expensive options as well, before committing a full bottle splurge.

Really interesting set of releases from Penhaligon's this one having a similar nature to the feminine focused rose one but in truth I think all four are unisex.
This is due to the careful blending of notes in each composition and it's no mistake that Penhaligon's fragrances have this quality across the board, regardless of perfumer. Another thing I've noticed is that all of these four have an explosive opening the Duke being no exception. I really like the smell, it's kinda got a vibe of Dior's sublime Amber nuit about it, a kind of fresh, clean but still warm balsamic rose. The key difference is rather than amber you get pepper, woods, leather coming across but with that quenching vibe of a G&T. This also gives it nods to the Liquides Imaginaires line in that there's a boozy champagne/wine sort of quality to these four creations too. It reminds me of Bloody wood a touch also.
The drydown of this is a sensual woody rose which is top quality and although not massive in silage and I thought at first longevity either ...this quietly lasted.
I never actually asked how much this was but without hesitation or the usual rigmarole of begging, I was furnished with some samples, Thanks to my local Penhaligon's shop for that. I believe further wears are necessary but I doubt I will be buying for this price.
Despite all the positives I see in this fragrance as a novelty stopper or bottle at best but despite the comparisons to great fragrances I own, I think Duke would still have a place because it's refined and different enough in it's own way.
The only restriction for me is price and the fact that if I had to own one of these it would be Lord George because of the amazing stag head stopper...The fragrances are both very enjoyable.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Much Ado About The Duke fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Much Ado About The Duke, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

By Kilian Incense Oud Amouage Jubilation for Men Tauer Perfumes 02 L`Air du Desert Marocain Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade Penhaligon`s Sartorial Acqua di Parma Essenza di Colonia MDCI Parfums Chypre Palatin Le Labo Bergamote 22 Tom Ford Oud Wood Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme Amouage Interlude Man Amouage Amouage Epic Man Le Labo Santal 33 Parfums de Marly Godolphin Yves Saint Laurent Kouros Giorgio Armani Armani Privé Oud Royal Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Jo Malone London Oud & Bergamot Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme