Designers » N-Q » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Sartorial Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

metallic
Sartorial Penhaligon`s for men Videos

Penhaligon's launched a new fragrance for men, Sartorial, in Autumn 2010. Inspiration for its creation was the Savile Row bespoke tailor Norton & Son’s workshop. This complex fragrance of the fougere family was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour.

Sartorial Notes: aldehydes, ozonic effect, metallic effect, violet leaf, neroli, cardamom, black pepper, fresh ginger, beeswax, cyclamen, linden blossom, lavender, leather, gurjum wood, patchouli, myrrh, cedar wood, tonka bean, oakmoss, white musk, honey effect, old wood effect, vanilla, amber

Aldehydes Water Notes Metallic notes Violet Leaf Neroli Cardamon Black Pepper Ginger

Beeswax Cyclamen Lime (Linden Blossom) Lavender Leather

Gurjan balsam Patchouli Myrrh Cedar Tonka Bean Oakmoss White Musk Honey Woody Notes Vanilla Amber

Brut
Invasion Barbare
Vetiver

Sartorial Fragrance Reviews

ilsagold
ilsagold

It is Spring time and the temperature has reached to 16-17 Celsius. One spray on my wrist before I leave to work. Projecting just fine past few hours and it'll stay as a skin scent for another few hours (total of 10 hours).
Good performance considering it an E-De Toilette.
Yes it reminds me Brut but the use of honey note is making Sartorial worth the purchase. I do not suggest to wear it in cold winters as the metallic note appears and it is offensive. Do not over spray because the honey note can be heavy.
I'll happily finish my bottle with two sprays in Spring..three in Fall.

richmilton
richmilton

Really impressed with this one. I do get the Brut comparison but this is much, much classier. That's probably why I don't see me wearing this in casual settings, it definitely is for more formal events, romantic dates, weddings, upscale corporate events, and anything that requires a suit and tie. It's more gentleman than alpha. More Lexus than Harley Davidson. More sushi than hearty steak. More suit & tie than jeans and t-shirt. Although I suppose semi-casual is fine... but a crisp, clean, iron pressed button down shirt is required. The top notes are like Brut on steroids for a gentlemen, if that makes sense. Of course, this is just my take on the fragrance. How and when you choose to wear this scent is up to you. Whereas Brut is more laid back and sporty-ish. Sartorial has a more floral special occasion vibe.

All in all, this is not one of my favorites, mainly because it's not very versatile and does come off a little too much flowery and powdery at times. But for the right occasion, it's rather nice. Just a quick tip though... Go easy on the trigger!! I can't stress that enough. Too much of this makes it smell like old lady perfume. Just 2 sprays max to mid-chest and no more. Preferably do not spray in the same spot. When I first tried this, I did my usual 3 sprays to the mid and upper chest. It was too much and made it smelled like old musty perfume. Light applications in different spots on the chest work best

The dry down is where this really shows its colors for the good or bad depending on what you like. It seems to take you on a journey and I'm still testing this as I write because this is one of only a few wearings.

Update: Later in the day I did notice sometimes I would get brief waves of a metallic kind of smell that I did not like. There must be a note in there that does this on my skin. It's not bad enough that makes it unwearable. But it did cause me to like this less. Before I noticed that weird metallic note I would of given this an 8/10 easily. Now it's more like 7/10. I like it, just don't love it. IMO it's not worth the money at the going rate of $50 to $70 online and over $100 retail. This should be around the $25 to $30 range IMO.

coltranedreams
coltranedreams

it is everything it promised to be.

masculine and classy.

love.love. love.

i bought it as a present, good thing the guy lives in the same flat. ssshh.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

I don't think this smells like Brut, it does however smell like a tailor's workshop. I get a gorgeous grape vibe from Sartorial, like the skins of white grapes and a tiny touch of lychee. These notes are not juicy but made dry and sharp by the metallic edge of the tailor's cutting instruments and a classic barbershopesque lavender. The next player is papyrus which creates the feeling of cloth, combined with a soft pot pouri of dead white petals. The base provides a dreamy dimension of honey, vanilla and tonka. The overall feel is that of a British gentleman in an imaculately tailored suit.

Longevity and sillage are pretty beastly on my skin, it never let's up. For me this is a modern masterpiece...

I.D.Adam
I.D.Adam

I sprayed this from a tester. The opening is redolent of dihydromyrcenol (DHM) with likely a bit of real lavender. It is sweetened with a honey-like odor that takes the edge off the DHM and I found the opening very pleasant if a bit common. Not long into the drydown I got a strong note of sweet vetiver which I suspect is veramoss (the "oakmoss" note) with or without a vetiver chem and likely some coumarin. The latter notes were so powerful I didn't really pick up any of the other more subtle notes. There is clearly a big dose of musk as the sillage and longevity are both enormous! Overall I liked it but found the balance could be better as the base notes come through the rest of the fragrance like a sledgehammer. Would be worth buying on sale but there are many similar "modern fougere" frags out there.

vaibsankhla
vaibsankhla

Bernard is a genius- he refined the most refined smell to have Grace the earth

I really feel like most people have given great examples of note breakdown.

Metallic Lavender made sweet and slightly wxy by the beeswax note

High performing
All class
Dress Up occasion only

djbethell
djbethell

A blind-buy for me and a very happy one.
It reminds me very much of Brut, albeit a classier and softer version. Makes me feel like I'm laying in the sand dunes with a gentle lavender, mossy sea breeze coming in.
Dreamy.

Lom
Lom

I'm sorry but this is not going to be a positive review. I think this fragrance is terrible. It smells like a bad cologne at a barbershop or a cheap deodorant from the 90s mixed with an offensive sharp smell that creates a truely awful fragrance. I find it to be more disgusting than Secretions Magnifiques, especially because it doesn't even try to be offensive.

DRA1974
DRA1974

I'm never really sure what it is about Sartorial that I like. I can usually tie down an element (or two) of a fragrance and say I enjoy this because of x or y but for some reason that eludes me with this one.
What I can say though is that it is a perfectly blended 100% safe gentleman's scent...but not boring. It doesn't scream or shout (it doesn't have too) it just carries an air of confidence.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

Highly recommended!
it is certainly "classic and modern"..
beeswax, metal.wood..leather are very good..
thnx Bertrand Duchaufour.great nose
quality and unique..semi-formal
Longevity,complexity,creativity!
Drydown is wooden, and semi-soft
the heart is spicy with wood and herbs.
interesting and captivating scents
masculine and great aromatic ,warm , elegant clean
it is near to "Grey Flannel" Geoffrey Beene but it is more better( greener, more metallic...)
original and clean scent.
and Very sophisticated //

hcrv
hcrv

I've worn Penhaligon's Sartorial twice now. I agree with other reviewers that it starts out with a somewhat metallic tone. I've never experienced that before in a fragrance and am not sure if it's pleasant or unpleasant. This effect lasted for about 20 minutes. What got me hooked was the background that I could detect under the metallic tone which became more interesting, woody smelling, included a tiny bit of gingerbread spice, that mellows as time passes. I was very surprised that the idea of a "tailor shop" smell actually comes across. I haven't been to high end tailor shop, but I've been to a men's shop that had numerous combined scents hanging around due to the fabrics, customers and staffs personal fragrance choices, and the tailoring equipment. This mix of smells in Sartorial somewhat pleasantly reminds me of that. I don't get the old man vibe that other people mention.
Longevity on me is 6-8 hours and after that it stays close to the skin and hangs around for another hour or two. Sillage is moderate. That being said, I only applied 2 sprays of this fragrance each time. I typically wear Acqua Di Parma Colognia Essenza or Creed Green Irish Tweed. The reviews made Sartorial sound outside my comfort zone, more of an in your face masculine fragrance than I'm used to wearing, but after trying this twice I don't feel that way. Masculine, but with a nice mellow woody/earthy/gingerbread spice/beeswax vibe. A nice fragrance for work and for going out on the town. Good job Penhaligon's, good job.

ralopa
ralopa

The best perfume for men among what I have tried from this house.
Very interesting and great longevity unlike other mediocrities from this house.

Rating: 9.0/10.

bet85
bet85

This is so damn good!! Projects and lasts all day. Call me crazy but this reminds me of vintage Fahrenheit, mixed with some vintage Brut. I think i found my favorite fragrance.

KJS88
KJS88

While they're technically nothing alike (the vibe is there, but this is clearly a fougère), this presents like a men's Chanel No. 5 to me. Dry, elegant, starched, steamy, ferny goodness. I'd say it's more like Pinaud Clubman than Brut, but so much more refined and experience expensive smelling. It's the sort of thing you could smell all day without getting tired of.

fabio.bernieri
fabio.bernieri

Questo è il mio primo approccio con Penhaligon's e, ahimé, è stato piuttosto deludente.

Chiariamoci! La fragranza è indiscutibilmente di buona fattura e vanta una palette complessa. Quello che discuto è lo stile: per quanto creata molto recentemente (2010), a mio avviso è una fragranza "vecchia" sul nascere, che si richiama al passato e che è prepotentemente dominata dalla note dolci di cera d'api, di miele, di vaniglia - che personalmente mi stuccano molto.

Sembra una versione un po' più raffinata di BRUT, con cui trovo davvero molti punti in comune.

In conclusione, pur riconoscendone la discreta qualità, non è una fragranza che mi piace. Non la trovo indicata né per l'uomo adulto (dinamico, professionista, maturo) né men che meno per il giovane. Potrebbe, eventualmente, vestire bene un distinto uomo anziano.

Voto personale: 5.5/10

scentfollower
scentfollower

For me very unique, nice and elegant fragrance for gentlemen, definitely a must for a collector.

Houstonx
Houstonx

It is inspired by the smells in an English tailor shop. There is a medicinal, insecticide kind of quality to it. It's certainly good quality juice but the performance is very poor like most Penhaligons' I owned and tried. Need to carry a bottle with you. Not everyone's cup of tea. Try before you buy it. I know I will not buy a new bottle when I finish the one I have.

Joshh7478
Joshh7478

It is an absolutely gorgeous, much more refined, and better blended then brut to include the vintage version.

AlmalkiJeme

قررت اقتناء هذا العطر الفاخر
يصلح لجميع الاوقات

jwc001
jwc001

Top notes of bitter cardamom (not that pleasant on me), give way quite quickly to sweet lavender, with an odd rubbery "condom" scent. Yeah.

I've been sampling this on and off for about a year now, and it's an odd one... Can't quite bring myself to get a full bottle.

marioslg3
marioslg3

A real man's cologne..outstanding,classic.. like an english gentleman in an old gentlemen's club...with a stick and top hat..
However, i do not see any similarities with Brut....no!

Andrew_89
Andrew_89

Intoxicating, powdery and sweet. It is so unique and unfamiliar, I love it. Within 4 weeks my 100ml bottle was down to the last half. Did I mention, I love this scent?

The first time I wore it out, the silage (which isn't overly large) caught the attention of a beautiful woman who came after me to ask for 'directions'. The scent labels its master as purposeful and refined. I think it is a great gentleman's scent, but could imagine it on a woman quite happily.

It has a more mature character, but provided you are dressed smartly, a person in their early 20s could pull this off.

gedlive
gedlive

Update: I'm wearing this tonight and it's so warm and cozy.
This is more complex and beutifull than I thought. It will take an enjoyably long time to fully discover this one. Smelling like a Taylor shop may not sound to appealing, but when you look past that, this scent is so organically beutifull. The rich unusual resins and balsams, with beeswax, wow. There's aldehydes and metal note, yet it smells so natural and down to earth.
Oldfasion timeless charm, yet contemporary, futuristic.

I had sampled Sartorial when I was still very new to fragrances, I thought it was a quality fragrance with very good performance, and it is. After getting to know what's out there generally in the fragrance world, I realized how special, unique and modern Sartorial is. This arrived today with Amouage Memoir Man, which was a blind buy. Both are fougers with fresh herbal/ green notes. I think I like Sartorial better, more interesting and pungent, projection is obove moderate.

I like the comparison to, " Grey Flannel ", which I don't like at all. This is only similar, in that it does smell like cloths, a Tweed jacket perhaps being steem pressed, yup. I like the metallic note, makes it feel modern as it makes a nice rich accord with aldehydes and beswax, nicely done.
I do get Cardomon, lavender, and some warm balsamic Basenotes.

Sartorial is also a very rich pungent balsamic fragrance with three balsams, Gurjan, Amber, and Myrrh. Although it has a bright, green, floral fougere feel also. The heart accord I would say are the aldehydes and the metal note, with many other unusual notes, florals, beswax and others, that I don't get with any other fragrance, and it all come off great !
I am getting a distinct Amber note in the base that reminds me of Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

The performance and quality of notes, are first class. One of the best values I can think of, 100ml (tester) for under $50 at fragrancenet.

Rating: 9.5/10

kejayy
kejayy

Suit and tie only, barbershop smelling, but not too dated early 30's up???

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

Tested a sample of this. Considering there are 24 notes listed in the pyramid, I hoped at least one of them would stand out. What this creates is a classier, longer lasting version of Brut. That's not a bad thing, but Sartorial is just not for me.

I'm still wondering if anything else from this house can top Endymion. So far for me, the answer is no.

Pare159
Pare159

Brut aftershave with a iron press fresh zingy take. New Modern take on a classic fougere. I dont know where they are getting the comparison to IB this is for current 2015 formulation.

KLAC91
KLAC91

Sartorial:
This perfume is the most regal-smelling scent for a man. WOW. This smells like a well established, old moneyed British Gentleman (I don't know why British comes to mind, maybe because it's a British brand and because Savile Row is located in London). This thing smells like understated wealth. It just has that air of authority. This smells like someone whom you instinctively respect and admire. He holds himself to a higher regard than everyone else. He doesn't participate in unsavory acts like you peasants do. He's much more evolved than that. But that doesn't mean he's snotty, well he is, but he would never admit to it. He's always impeccably dressed, he's not flashy, he's charming, handsome, confident, well educated and most of all, he's a gentleman. This isn't usually the kind of perfume I gravitate towards, but this gets a resounding love from me! I can't wait to purchase this and be my first foray into the world of niche perfumery.

Side note: There's a similarity between this and the drydown of Terre D'Hermes... OAKMOSS! I love that note! Such a beautifull smell, perfect for a gentleman.

wijsneus
wijsneus

One of the most interesting and captivating scents i've ever smelled, as it's the first scent ever to overpower my nose.

I can prance around all day in your Montale Dark Aoud and your Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, but Sartorial's fresh fabric-like scent punches me in the face and almost leaves me with a headache!

It smells very complex and obviously well made, but something about that composition just doesn't make it work well for me.

So, even though i didn't like it, it's a fragrance i can't help but feel reverence and respect for.

Moral of the story: always sample on skin before buying :D

daynierds
daynierds

Elegant, refined, long lasting but a bit too dated for somebody under 30....comparing this to MCMC Invasion Barbare should be consider a WAR CRIME!...they´re just a bit similar once Sartorial gets to his long-awaited dry-down (4-5 hours after application)

dr.astrov
dr.astrov

This is simply an incredible fragrance. Elegant, refined and gentlemanly. I can equally imagine it on a handsome middle aged guy and also a young, stylish hipster. There's a real depth to this scent with an amazing beeswax finish. There's a vague floral vibe, which gently cuts through the resins and woods, but make no mistake, this is all about the beeswax for me. The matching deodorant is just as wonderful and also effective and long lasting.

nero77
nero77

Clean and beautifully made...

This is a fragrance which I have no problem loving. As soon as I smelled it I realised it pleased me. For me it's honey and beeswax and lavender, surrounded by green herbs and mossy woods. A very grown up, very "gentleman" like fragrance.

This one gives me the impression of being clean and groomed, like trying on a brand new suit in a shop, which I guess was the intention, given the brief and description of the fragrance (ie that it should smell like a tailor's workshop). I would happily wear this formally. I find nothing wrong with it whatsoever in terms of style and character. It gives me a good feeling to wear. The feeling it gives is gender neutral. Just a lovely, impressive aroma of brand new fabric and of wearing nice clothes. I do find it would suit a well dressed man perfectly, but a woman could pull this off too.

Some people say the smell is old fashioned. I don't. I think it's quite modern. The use of aromachemicals here is very cleverly done, and by a very talented perfumer (Bertrand Duchaufour). I would recommend this one to gentlemen for formal wear, and for anyone who not only likes to be well dressed, but who would like to smell like that too. Very well made. Impressive.

bernardonia
bernardonia

Semplicemente: sulla pelle ha lo stesso odore di caramelle MOU! Bocciato

GodKing
GodKing

I don't know whether I love or hate this fragrance. On one hand, I really enjoy this scent and feel that it is both a quality-blend and an artistic creation. On the other hand, I just don't want to smell like Sartorial while out-and-about meeting other people...just feels so out-of-place and inappropriate for most occasions. Moreover, I have other aromatic fougeres that I love better and are much more versatile, with Rive Gauche topping the list.

I am not going to rehash what everyone has already mentioned about this fragrance having a Tailor Shop feel and a metallic vibe to it. However, I will mention that Sartorial reminds me slightly--with "slightly" being the operative word in this sentence--of Acier Aluminum and Brut. Performance is solid; lasts 7-8 hours on my skin and projects slightly above average, so no complaints in this regard.

Overall, I find Sartorial to be another excellent couch surfing scent. However, I already have a ton of these artsy-fartsy creations, and there is only so much I can tolerate sitting on the sofa sniffing my arm. In the end, I am going to split the difference and vote that I "Like" this fragrance--I really do--but I won't be buying a bottle since it's not something I see myself wearing often. Still, Sartorial is well-crafted and definitely worth checking-out.

Update: I wound up purchasing a bottle a couple months later...not quite a love, but it's just such as darn interesting, spit & polish, scent that I just had to have a bottle.

Tpainter2
Tpainter2

I bought this because of all of the reviews, I got to smell this once a few years ago and didn't remember exactly what it smelled like. To me it smells like an old man sitting in a nursing home wearing a bottle of 40 year old cologne. I regret buying this.

yoji
yoji

To wear this is such an experience!
It opens with tonka-lavender-neroli combo (imho) and reminds me Bogart pour homme in it's beginning (come ooooon!). Sweetness fades in few minutes, then beeswax appears and lavender brings that metallic effect. My grandad was a beekeeper and that's how the wardrobe where he was keeping his suits and stuff was smelling like - a bit of beeswax or even a beehives smell, old clothes, gloves and mothproofing lavender sachet...
Very complex perfume with multiple ingredients for those who wants to smell different. It's not provocative, nor controversial, it's just different and very pleasant. A huge thumbs up!

Didokitty
Didokitty

I can smell myrrh, beeswax, cardamom and white musk but mostly anis and fenugreek even though they are not listed at all. Sartorial is cold, sharp and metallic on me.

I do not like this on my skin, but I can imagine this could smell heavenly on someone else. Maybe on a hot humid day, so it loses it´s sharpness a little.

racb
racb

I enjoyed the top notes, very musky, lots going on.

Then it settled down to the beeswax and metallic, and lost some personality. It just kind of smells likely pleasantly washed people. Not enough going on there for me. Sorry, I wanted to love it. I'll give it another try in a few days.

viridian
viridian

Sartorial is so warm & elegant - I would love to be stuck in an elevator for a few hours with Bryan Ferry wearing a spray or two of this on his neck. It's that kind of scent! Yum!

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

Sartorial is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's not particularly avant-garde or entirely original, but it is a very satisfying modern fougere with some gravitas.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for a nice fougere - they can be very versatile and tend to remind me of the fragrances worn by older family members during my childhood. Moreover, Duchaufour is likely my favorite parfumer. His fragrances almost always have complexity and both a sense of humor and place. Sartorial is no exception - the fragrance successfully reflects certain notes that can be associated with a tailors' shop while also embodying the sort of fellow who might wear custom clothing.

The fragrance itself has a classic feel - hence the references to Brut, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, etc. There are healthy doses of the expected lavender, moss, and amber. But there is also an unexpected balsamic feel that must result from the use of ingredients like beeswax, honey, and tonka. The effect softens and smooths the entire composition, in much the same way as film grain overlays the image in older movies. This fragrance ultimately feels like a well-worn bomber jacket, creased and scruffy in all the right places. This too seems to suggest Duchaufour has an ironic sense of humor - a fragrance called "Sartorial" smells as rugged as it does refined.

Projection is moderate but longevity is above average. All in all, this represents a great value in today's niche market given that you can grab a bottle for under $100.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Strange, English, Classic, Sartorial! :) it is a complex parfum, which evolves slowly .. hard to classify, has many notes that it includes, but certainly is unique. The note 'Beeswax "is truly exceptional in this composition, also known' Metallic 'gives his touch in the great amount of notes in the scent. I can say that each note stands out, even if I feel more Leather, metallic notes, and beeswax, honey also gives his touch to the original scent. Really strange but unique scent :). the projection is moderate, but last very long on me (from 7-10 hours). I think I'll use it for autumn ..! Council.!!

Sillage: 7/10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Beyond the top notes, the fougere accord here isn't as searing nor as herbal as it is in some of the older one of this type, yet the herbal quality is clearly present. It's also quite dense, creating a tingling creamy quality that certainly has its appeal. There are some other things going on, but with a dab sampling I didn't get clarity on those, other than the kind of accord you get in the masculine "black" scents like London for Men by Burberry. I'm not sure I like this combination, and I rarely wear "old school" fougeres, but when I do I prefer something that smells a bit deeper, more complex, and more natural, such as Colours for Men by Julian.

Fmorejon14
Fmorejon14

This scent its a barbershop inside a bottle. It smells very masculine and pleasant for any occasion. I can smell the beewax the leather and spices with a citrus hint to fresh the fragrance. It lasts on skin between 4-6 hours it projects enough where people can smell you and it is very unique to vary any body's collection.

Guest_MonsieurK
Guest_MonsieurK

Yes it slightly reminds of Brut, but it is so much more refined. GreggieBoy on YouTube notes that if Brut was the prototype, this is the finished product.

Sartorial echoes what has come before and then surpasses. This level of gentlemanly swagger and dapperness could only come from a British house, and Penhaligons has done it so quintessentially here.

Immediately pleasing to me, and very soft and comforting. Its refreshing without being stereotypically fresh and retro without being dated. Like Rive Gauche pour Homme, this opens my eyes to how a fougere can be modern and quite ingenious without straying too far off a familiar road.

This Duchaufour chap is some perfumer! Im besotted with his Timbuktu, and now this! Hats off my friend, hats off to you.

marcus71x
marcus71x

One of my all time favourites. I first smelled this when I purchased a small tin of moustache wax from Penhaligon`s for Movember and I was immediately hooked. My wife loves me wearing it and bought me a big bottle for Christmas. Even though it is supposed to smell like a Saville Row tailors, It reminds me of a clean barbers shop with the smell of the talc they used to put on the back of your neck after a haircut. Yes I can also smell the beeswax and the steam and the scissors they use to cut the cloth. With the tailors and barbershop in mind, this always makes me feel like I`m suited and booted, looking cleanly shaven and coiffured even when I`m not.

smora
smora

Scentrack: Variety Lab - London in the rain

When I visited tailor workshop for the first time I was totally shocked by its spectrum of smells. Metal, textile, wax, steam... Very unique smell. Master Duchaufour perfectly translated it into perfume.
Sartorial is complicated and masculine scent that reminds of Brut. But it takes the best of Brut and amplify it on the whole new level. Interplay of notes is incredible, unreal and so incompatible and cacophony expected, but eventually perfectly mashed. Metallic notes, aldehydes, wax, honey, Proustian linden blossom, lavender, flowers... perfection.
Fantastic, formal, masculine, regal, dignified, well mannered. The essence of Britain. A work of a genius.

Rating: 8.5/10

More on Scentimental Words

Heetkin
Heetkin

Smells like a man wearing Brut ironing an old kilt.

I like it.

hivesofbees
hivesofbees

Obvously there is a lot to be said (and a lot that has been said) about fragrance and gender identity but like normally I would not gravitate to a scent as traditionally masculine as a fougère, but like there's something sneakily feminine about this scent, I feel? Like maybe I am just imagining it? Is it the honey note? There's something really intimate about it also. The sillage (on me at least) is minimal, and I kind of like that for this scent. Honestly I am confused why I like this so much but it's great.

fumeguy
fumeguy

Tried this recently from a sample, have to say this is really a wonderful fragrance.

This smells of BRUT, Barbershop, smells from the shop of a tailor, oakmoss, metallic. Isnt that a lot from a single perfume, anyways i loved it, it is long lasting (above 8 hours) but stays close to the skin.

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Küçük bir ekleme; Parfüm kalitesi ile kıyaslandığında fiyatı birçok markaya oranla uygun. Özellikle 50 ml olunca. Burada marka söylemek istemiyorum ama birçok marka kesinlikle hak etmediği rakamlarla karşımıza çıkıyor. Sartorial bu anlamda fiyatını hak eden parfumlerden. Özellikle stick deodorant ile birlikte kullanımı çok keyifli oluyor.

amir68
amir68

There are lots of notes here. But I can only detect the leather, beeswax, honey and the amber in the drydown. It does remind me of barbarshop and it is soapy for me as well with oldish vibe but in a refined and elegant way in the beginning. In drydown the sweetness from the beeswax, cardamom and honey comes in and give it a nice aroma. For me the drydown is divin when the leather surrounded by honey, tonka bean and hint of vanilla make Sartorial amazing and masculine. It has good staying power on my skin. I´m glad with the acquisition of Sartorial and will enjoy it from time to time.

Casavulva
Casavulva

A very good and standard aromatic fougere, in the tradition from Azzaro, Rive Gauche ph and Sex Appeal.

The twist is the smell of needles, fabric and sewing machines. No, this is not due to marketing or placebo, to me this impression is really there.

A witty reviewer on Youtube said Sartorial was too good to wear to work. But if you want to "work a room", this is it.

With a Nice suit only. One of the best aromatic fougeres.

nemorino
nemorino

Absolutely adore it!
Great liquorish perfume.
Bertrand Duchaufour is at his best with this one, what a master!

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

This is absolutely gorgeous! Definitely unisex. The other reviewers here have broken down the notes much better than I can, but each step in the development on my skin was amazing. Right out of the bottle the smell is crisp, clean and engaging. It dries down to a luxe powder scent with an added punch of lavender. Sartorial is elegance and class in a bottle.

CodyHowl
CodyHowl

A moss-and-lavender powerhouse that slowly fades into an atypically sterile, soapy musk.

Much like others have said, this is a modern reinterpretation of classic men's perfumery, reminiscent of vintage aftershaves, but intentionally forgoing tradition. This aroma is crisp and unemotional, trading in any semblance of spice or warmth for something more dry and cold, emboldened by prominent notes of lavender, ginger, sharp florals, and much later, a soothing musk.

I wouldn't call this aroma especially gentlemanly or sartorial, and though lacking in creativity, Sartorial still excels to the top of its specific category.

An undeniably masculine fragrance conjuring up mental imagery of stuffy English parlours with plush black leather furniture and cold marble floors; pristine, sleek, expensive and completely un-lived in.

This is the only barbershop fragrance I've found myself enjoying and applying with regularity, maybe because it's less of an antique barbershop scent, and more of an antique consulting firm, or impeccably furnished haberdasher's. Clean and detached, but rich in character.

Jwaks
Jwaks

very old school, sharp and dry, cuts like a knife. Calms down after about 15 minutes into a dry lavendar leather and light floral fragrance. It's a very 'cold' fragrance a bit like chanel platinum egoiste because there's little to no vanilla, tonka or any other warm spices in the base. Go for this if you like sharp old school fragrances. As for me, I go for modern fruity, floral, clean and citrusy fragrances.

LanceDior
LanceDior

The smell of Matt Smith's Doctor Who :)

Redbeard
Redbeard

Another fougere of sorts from Pen's...opens with a quiet, dry, grassy green, and includes a heavy dose of the same type of subtle florals as in Monsieur de Givenchy, as well as some slightly musty fruit. After a few minutes it starts to get sappier, and some sort of sweet spice becomes more noticeable underneath, like drinking a Dr. Pepper in damp earthy grass. The vanilla starts to show up a little later but stays restrained behind the spices. At this point I have trouble remembering the differences between this stuff, their English Fern, and Houbigant's reissued Fougere Royale, though I'm not the best judge of traditional fougeres. I like how it avoids the wintergreen-like note that usually bugs me in this group, but because they've replaced it with cola-type spices, it's a dubious victory by my tastes. Still, it manages to stay more masculine than most of their "masculine" scents, and stays old-fashioned without being too dated. I also recommend it, along with Polo Modern Reserve, as a green scent that starts out "summery" and slowly becomes heavier and more "wintery" toward the end.

Q80
Q80

An OLD vintage historical tailor shop that it's walls are made of wood, allot of wool in here and there, cotton, wooden windows, redpaig carpet, a buff, scissors, measuring tapes, and simi ready suits hanging on manikins. it is an old English tailor shop from 1850+. so rich and masculine. i personally like the deodorant stick, i use it in gym and it smells superb masculine.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Tried this one at Penhaligon's counter recently and Brut came to mind. Wanted to try it again to see what the hype is all about. I still get the Brut reference. Right off the bat, I get a hint of leather from Sartorial while Brut has no leather but with more prominent oakmoss. Once they both go into the mid, they smell similar. If you like Brut but want slightly better performance then get Sartorial. If you like Sartorial but don't think it's FB worthy then get Brut like I just did today. I'm a sucker for aromatic fougere. All in all, Sartorial has a very old school barbershop vibe like something you'd expect from an aftershave. It's a classic gentleman's fougere. Moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

NEW OLD SCHOOL

I like this. A lot. I did not read any of the reviews or notes before sampling this at Saks in NYC today.

Interesting that throughout the day I kept thinking 'this reminds me of Invasion Barbare' -only to read that 4 others smelt the same thing.
(I need to do a side by side test on each arm to make sure.)

What I enjoyed was not being able to detect any one note - just an overall sophisticated, un-challenging, easy to wear men's fragrance.

It's both modern and old fashioned at the same time - nice combo, Penhaligon.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Huge lavender opening that's very nice! A flat metallic accord mixes in well now. After 10 minutes a light dry leather comes alive with the lavender and just adds an extra element that I find amazing! Light powdery leather and a metallic lavender chugging along.

I know there is a heck of a lot more going on here but Ill have to test it again to get it all. That will be after I buy a full bottle of this one!

Roge'
Roge'

For Sartorial, complex must be the new boring. Just another fragrance to increase my shrug percentage for the month of December. Seriously, did the longevity go to the Bermuda Triangle? I give this credit for having an old school vibe but that too can be overrated. A few things that make smart men stupid: Beautiful women, sports and now fragrances..don't fall for the Sartorial hype.

Complex, masculine, spicy but smooth and above all sophisticated. This one keeps me sniffing and the development of notes is wonderful. I can see the comparisons with brut but this has more depth and subtlety. Having said that for all it's complexity it is fairly linear I think that is due to being very well composed and balanced. I actually enjoy the slight honey note in the dry down which is unusual for me. The opening is pretty harsh though ozonic and metallic, aldehydes then lavender. The dry down is spicier and woody, clean too a little like a gentleman's soap. Sartorial settles close to the skin but is long lasting...I enjoyed this one a real classic.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Old Brut. Very nice. I like Brut. :-)

Aaredhel
Aaredhel

Am I the only woman wearing this fragrance? mm I don't think so...
This is really a smelling experience. This scent develops and evolves on your skin from being a cold metallic sort of smell into something warm and mesmerizing. Very elegant indeed.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Smells like a high-end, quality Brut. My wife says it's the scent of a dirty, oily old man with a comb-over, who watches porn and who drools over young women. What can I say... my new signature scent? I think it's the way a REAL man should smell: fresh and confident. I wouldn't describe it as "elegant sophistication", but more of a "I don't care what you think about my cologne" kind of scent. For 40+ men only.

fuggerone
fuggerone

developes great in summer heat with a blast of spicy patchouly combo, for grown ups only!

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

For men? I don't think so. At first I smelled the BRUT and thought wow finally a brut-a-like which will stay all day. Then it was like grey flannel and I thought it was Christmas! Unfortunately it went downhill into ladies makeup purse territory. I'm washing it off cos I smell like a girl

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

A great aromatic fougere from a great nose: Bertrand Duchaufour. Love the deliberate 'cacophony' of notes that somehow work together to create this mystic old skool scent.

This reminds me somewhat of Geoffrey Beene "Grey Flannel" but it is more complex, greener, weirder, more metallic, more English.

A great scent for a Savile Row Tailor and those dapper folks wearing 3-piece Tweed suits.

A welcomed alternative to what I consider somewhat overrated Creed brand.

Very intriguing and compelling, original scent.

10/10 for originality and sophisticated dandyfication.

aussiecrew
aussiecrew

Lush, original, refined and elegant. The scent of old world London modernised into bespoke gentleman's club. Fresh sparkling opening followed by warmth and comfort. Honey fills the air like an elixir of love and beauty. Drying down to a feeling of sitting back in a rustic leather chair sipping on Gallway Pipe Port and surrounded by books, swords, friends and stories of the charmed life.

Grottola
Grottola

I've been on something of a hiatus from Fragrantica over the past few months, but while pursuing other things (namely school), I noticed how more and more fougeres were beginning to impress me, and eventually fougeres had sort of gradually overtaken chypres as my favorite type of fragrance.

Don't get me wrong, I love chypres - however, they seem stagnant compared to fougeres. The fougere is a genre that, when done right with ingenuity, has the ability to evolve, go into new territory, and thus bring something new to fragrances as a whole. The fougere is a fragrance genre that is continually reinventing itself while building on top of past milestones; for example, Brut to Azzaro; Azzaro to Drakkar; Drakkar to Cool Water; Cool Water to Yohji Homme; Yohji Homme to Rive Gauche, and so on (with classics in between, such as Tuscany, Gucci Nobile, New West, and Patrick).

So... even though it's three years old now, Sartorial by Penhaligon's seems to have brought a new face to the genre. In a world of fresh/clean fragrances, Sartorial is a hopelessly attractive fougere that brings to mind barbershops and freshly-shaven faces. However, on top of that, it's not just about cleanliness and a fine-tailored suit. This has a certain warmth and some heart to it; a hearty lavender that's been softened and wrapped in a sweet shroud of salty coumarin, giving it an almost caramelized, saline feel that smells gorgeous. This accord, paired with a gracious helping of oakmoss, creates a solid, long-lasting masculine deserving of a place among the hallmarks, making reference to the last great fougere, Rive Gauche Pour Homme. It's a real meat-and-potatoes man kinda scent, but with enough purity and swagger to appeal to the masses of metrosexuals popping up as well.

While it may reference Brut or Rive Gauche or whatever other fougere is compared to aftershave, this one stands on its own, as one of the finest masculines of the past few years. It continually satisfies me, as most fragrances by Bertrand Duchaufour seem to do.

cohibadad
cohibadad

This starts out sharp and mellows within a few minutes. It LASTS a long time and a little goes a long way. It is nuclear powered compared to Blenheim Bouquet. For me the leather, cedar and musk dominate. The aldehydes and metallic notes were sharp at first and I was not impressed. As time passed this grew on me but I wouldn't say I would want to wear it myself. And my wife hates it. Hates it. When I jokingly rubbed the back of my hand (on which a tiny drop had be rubbed 2 hours earlier) on her shirt sleeve, she couldn't escape the smell and immediately changed her shirt. It reminds her of Old Spice and she said I smelled like an old man, no offense to older men. My father wore Old Spice and I think her impression and mine of Old Spice are similarly based on living with someone coated with the aftershave. I would say that this is a scent I WISH my father wore. It is similar enough to the smells he liked that it reminds me of him but not as overpowering and inescapable, at least for me. My daughters were fairly neutral to negative on the scent.

aschiffm
aschiffm

People think this smells like sharp aftershave??? I must be smelling a different perfume. This is soo warm, worn-in, leathery, woody and vibrant. It's like if you were wearing your dad's old faded leather jacket thats been kept in the shed but delicious and comforting . Very "believable", meaning if you wore this people might just believe thats what you actually smell like due to your lifestyle/smells rubbing off onto you , or where you came from if that makes sense (not perfumey).

But it's more than just the old greyed worn out leather and wood planks. it has a warm golden hue of beeswax and amber, i get A LOT of this snuggly beeswax and amber, it's a nice compliment to the manliness of the leather and wood.

williamvargas
williamvargas

nice sharp fragrance, reminds me of a quality aftershave that you splash on...masculine,potent and just a good smell...i could see a powerful man or confident man wearing this one..a statement type of cologne, woody and refreshing.. good stuff..thumbs way up.. really impressed with penhaligon have liked many of their scents, just another one to add to the list of fragrances that they do well. gives me a
fantastic barbershop vibe , reminds me of a scent that i used to buy in the early 80's called simply "barbershop" it was made by franklin products. it was amazing but was more of a eau de cologne so didn't last like this does.. Sartorial is such an aromatic fragrance like aftershaves used to be
the old English, old spice.. Brut and many others.. I have noticed some comments about brut?. I can can smell that and I always liked Brut especially in the glass bottle. I smell a revitalized Brut on another level..it does have that barber shop essence to it to me. Maybe Brut was the inspiration for this?
who knows .. all I know is it is a success and I am proud to own it..
Satorial reminds me of the way that
pinaud's old clubman fragrance intrigued me so many years ago, how slapping that all over my face made me feel good and how that scent was so different to the old spice my dad always wore. ...I get that same feeling with this scent.. ... would be wonderful in an after shave splash to go along with a e.d.t I think this one of those scents that reminds me of my youth and the journey I took as I learned that I was one of those people that truly loves wearing fragrance. Satorial gives me that nostalgia, I remembered all those times standing in the drug store checking out different colognes. I would spend a lot of time waiting for no one to be looking opening the various bottles to sniff them.
a truly appreciated fragrance to me.
thank you penhaligon...
well done.. Thumbs up..

Francop
Francop

Beautifully refined masculine aromatic fougere with excellent longevity and good sillage.

chweintr
chweintr

I like the house of Penhaligon. I like their fragrances in general. Their customer service is excellent too; and in this competitive industry, that is not to be overlooked.

Sartorial has an oldish vibe...smells a lot like the way I remember Clubman Pinaud Aftershave smelling...Clubman Pinaud Aftershave is about 6 dollars though...it's one of the classic babershop go-to aftershaves.

I haven't compared them side by side so Sartorial is probably more complex in a close comparison but after about ten minutes the aldehydes and sandalwood (not listed) and ginger connect and give off the same kind of crisp slightly acidic antique wood-polish scent I recall from the Pinaud product...Again, this is just based on very distant memory - so if you're curious, you'll need to make a proper side by side comparison...don't take my word for it.

Incidentally, The Pinaud Clubman Talc (as opposed to the aftershave) is the old school barber shop neck dusting stuff -thirty and ups will find it familiar. Its not baby powdery or medicinal--. The talc is probably sold on Amazon. Recommended if you like some powder after a shave or a buzz but don't want to smell like a diaper or athlete's foot treatment.

PeterWJ
PeterWJ

Intrigued by the somewhat arrogant opening of this fragrance(tart and intrusive), I expected more to come during the drydown. The intrusiveness only continues as it turns into a rather linear, modern fragrance.
I couldn't make out the nature of the sharp, dark and warm notes in this one. Instead I kept it on for another half hour, while entertained by memories of my early teenage years drenched in cheap deodorants, like AMBER and MUSK from AXE/LYNX... Then I went and washed it off. Just like D&G Pour Homme, although not similar, I would own a sampler to smell it once in a while, but never wear it.
Sartorial is more like a scent than a fragrance. It is linear and powerful, with a single message, "Look, here I am". Good for getting noticed in the crowd on a saturday night. Or any night.

tanguy20026
tanguy20026

I'm obsessed by this perfume right now. Would love to get a soap or shower gel to go on with the fragrance. I've been trying other perfumes by Penhaligon's like Endymion or Juniper Sling, but this is the one for me. Long to smell the other creations by Bertrand Duchaufour.

Zenith
Zenith

Of all the note pyramids I have looked at I have to admit this one looks the most utterly ridiculous. Aldehydes, aquatics, metal, beeswax? seriously?

Upon trying it I was surprised how tame it is, and yes, quite similar to MDCI Invasion as noted, but with subtle differences. The only one of the odd notes I can smell is what I assume is the metallic note, which fades fairly fast. I am left with a very pleasant natural scent with certain earthy qualities and alot of lavender and oakmoss making this a more updated sort of grandfather scent for the modern age.

Very pleasant, but don't expect to smell the mess of notes that it allegedly offers

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I wanted to love this. I tried it and was struck by how much it smelled like some old drugstore cologne. I gave it another try and started liking it more, especially how it changes over time on the skin. Sometimes I can really smell the "wool, oil, ozone, metal and leather" of the taylor's shop. And then one day I smelled it and realized it smells mostly like deoderant. $80 deoderant. Sorry, Penhaligon's. That's the last one I'm trying from you guys.

Roan
Roan

A man enters the room. The cold air is coming right behind him and carries the smell of finest tobbaco from his woven blazer. He's dressed up in oxfords, suit and a coat. Shirt is with cufflinks.

Sartorial is made for those men. Elegant, distinctive and above all gentleman.

It is an interesting fougere. It has a smoky note from opening till closing. Most dominant ingredient is patchouli. I see it as a fragrance for any occassion, it's made to be a signature, it's wearable and interesting. Those are his best qualities. Longivity on my skin is very generous, it lasts now for a half of a day. It's somehow refreshing, spiced up and wooden at the same time. Well, it's a fougere after all. Drydown is wooden, and semi-soft while the heart is very spicy mixed with accords of wood and herbs. It is a must try.

Scentrist
Scentrist

There are a couple of issues to address in Sartorial. First, is the opening is quite harsh, very metallic and ozonic, and a bit difficult to break through as it is completely dominant for the first 30-40 minutes. Second, it's trying much too hard to be something more than it really is. Finally, despite the ingredient list longer than a box of Twinkies, this manages to still be rather linear in its transformation.

I don't get aromatic fougere from this at all, but I feel transfixed from the opening on this as a Barbershop-like clean scent, which isn't a bad thing. That remained from the top -- where it was most overpowering -- to its base several hours later , when it became tolerable, sedated, and a bit more refreshing, and certainly more powdery in the dry-down. Again, it seemed analagous to a barbershop visit from my childhood where you open with that very strong after-shave aroma, calmed later by talcum powder. The scent is simple, clean, fairly unpretentious in the final outcome.

So why did it take more than 24 different elements to resurrect what otherwise would be a turn-of-century, classic experience? The outcome seems too spare for the elements in the composition, many of which are beyond detection -- for instance, I don't sense wood or leather in this at all, though I'd say it was over-the-top if I noticed those as well. It stays linear with the opening, same continuity throughout.

I don't dislike it, though compared to my other scents, this isn't one I'd find myself wearing much. It's not quite my personal style or profile, despite it being both jolly well-executed and jolly pricey.

jtd
jtd

Sartorial demonstrates the difficulty of story-telling in perfume. Penhaligon’s own press, and a number of reviews propose that Sartorial paints a picture of the British bespoke tailor’s shop in the 21st century. Take apart a well know reference, reinterpret it with a contemporary smirk, change the context---classic postmodernism. The equation of tailor’s shop with fougère is understandable. The late 19th century was the era of the fern and the Victorian gentleman’s tailor. Then to fuse the fougère with scents one might find in a tailor’s workroom is a more tenuous step. To my mind the story of the tailor’s shop is a bit of schtick. It also serves to create an expectation that can’t help but be frustrated.

Perfume can conjure and it can evoke, two words I’ve read about Sartorial. But it simply can’t tell over the lengths of paragraphs the same narrative to each person who wears it. Truthfully, marketing department, full paragraphs aren’t needed. In this case the fiction is told with very few words. Simply to mention a British bespoke tailor’s shop ties together fantasy, aspiration and fetish in a few short words. But then to tell us about the cloth, the cabinetry, the wax, the thread… Oy gevalt. It’s like Ralph Lauren / GQ porn from the 1980s.

All the above would matter less if the fragrance told me its own actual story, or took me a on bit of a journey. But I find Sartorial an unpleasant fragrance. The starch-and-steam-iron-like note up top can be an attempt to elicit the image of a steam iron in use, but it smells out of place and metallically flat in its floral/spicy setting. As Sartorial progresses the sweet overlap of notes of patchouli, waxy honey, and caramelized lavender (all long-lasting) turn it into a bland gourmand-like fragrance. Pardon my blunt, rather lacking description, but I don’t get much more from Sartorial. I’m a great fan of Bertrand Duchaufour, but to me, Sartorial is the latest cut of the emperor’s clothes.

The fragrances of Etat Libre d’Orange share the conceit of fantasy-narrative, but their approach of story or hint of portraiture are more successful than Sartorial’s full-blown Victorian fantasy. (To be fair, ELdO’s laughably pretentious, simply bad text is far worse than Penhaligon’s here. Enough so that maybe it’s easier to dismiss.) But Tom of Finland gives you a loaded, iconic image and a fragrance. Rossy de Palma gives you an actor and a fragrance. The rest is up to you and the perfume.

Please measure the above with the fact that the fantasy that Sartorial wants to give you, that of a 21st century world of people who frequent tailors, has no appeal for me. Maybe if it did I might enjoy Sartorial. Who knows?

Louvenia
Louvenia

I don't even know why Sartorial is marketed as a men fragrance!I find it totally unisex,very easily wearable from everyone.Simple and for me..boring.No complexity,on my skin smells like pressed powder!
Penhaligon's has way better fragrances than this,Opus,Endymion,Castile etc.This one lacks of everything! Longevity,complexity,creativity!

Yerdan
Yerdan

The opening is quite chemical and sharp in the way of nail polish diluent. It lacks understatement, which is a pity because it has everything else a British type of niche perfume needs to succeed.
Compared with Floris Elite, it is louder and less rounded, it has an almost hysteric note.
Sartorial lacks the noble nostalgia of Floris Elite, it is the fragrance of a man of action, for whom modernity is way more important than "old school"-ness.
I recommend it to men between 25 and 35 who want to impress immediately in an elegant, powerful and not overly complicated or original way.

Udaria
Udaria

When I bought it, I did not know that was designed for the men. From an array of Penhaligon's tester bottles, this one smelled the most interesting. It is mainly the spices throughout and the soft oiliness which I understand is the honey note. That makes it a bit feminine if you wish ... Anyway, it smells so normal and close to the skin, as if it almost were not there. Amazing, something like a go-to fragrance. A fine and discreet cologne.

(When a perfume contains oud, I am uncomfortable and afraid to wear it. This is an aromatic fougere and it is very easy to wear.)

fqjcior
fqjcior

If you like Azzaro PH or YSL Rive Gauche PH go for Sartorial and you will get something more refined, more interesting and even better done with modern twist. Amazing and flawless scent for an elegant men. Great sillage and amazing staying power of 10 hours on me! You can't go any better if you are looking for great aromatic fougere. I am impressed with how incredibly versatile Bertrand Duchaufour is by makin' so many so different fragrances for L'Artisan, Frapin, Penhaligon's or Comme des Gracons.

Sartorial is great stuff for a real men.

Air of Mystery
Air of Mystery

Actually I do not own a copy, but I wanted to make a review based on the effect of sight. Compact bottle, pristine, with an air of the flawlessness and immaculacy of the kind of fashion ideal it is supposed to embody. The word, "sartorial," always attracted my interest. On reading the notes list, combined with the humble intelligence of my own experience, I expect this to be clean, crisp and profusive, like the scent hair, drenched in shower water. The frayed worst of slate-grey moletweed. I owned a female's pantalonsuit of this material as a medical student and it made me feel on FIRE, baby! I smelt DAMN good!

Ok, yes, I love Bertrand Duchaufour's creations but besides that I think Sartorial is a great scent. (Deservedly) ambitious and complex as an "architectural structure"! A perfect union between classic and modern. A traditional fougere with a retrò feel always balanced by an hyper modern allure given by the "effects" notes (beeswax, metal, old wood). I'd say this one is more a sensation than a real perfume and that's why I love it.

As I previously said is quite complex but so well executed to become a perfect everyday's fragrance for anyone into modern classicism.Sillage is good, lasting power not much (4-5 hours on my skin) but I still firmly believe this one to be highly recommendable.

Rating: 8.5/10

bronstein
bronstein

I'm quite with the comment below that states it smells "old," but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A grower perhaps? Anyway, I'm not convinced, but good luck with it.

Cheeva
Cheeva

I got a sample of this stuff from aedes.com, and to be honest I don't know what the fuss is about. to me this smelled like an old babershop or old aftershave. ,which is to say is not bad, but not for me. I would say this is a senor citizen fragrance 60 on up imo.

When king marty told me about a new Penhaligon's scent and sent me a link to the video, I thought how great! That house has always made great frags, and now one inspired by a Saville Row tailor shop; I must have it-NOW!! Well, I ordered a sample from the retailer listed here and was not disappointed in the least. It is obvious to me that they keep quality of ingredients and construction high even with the more modern scents...Thanks for the tip Marty-you Rule!! ;-)

When I looked at the list of notes I thought: Holy Crap! How on earth will that smell like a tailor shop/bespoke suit? Well, I went to a local tailor shop that has been in business since the early 1950s...aged wood, machines, material, dust, some sweet vague aura in the air (machine oil?), and the "warmth" of people eager to help and who have deicated their entire lives to making others look (and feel) fabulous! Penhaligon's captures that smell, feeling and general vibe here-perfectly!

When I smelled this in the vial I thought: This is unique (and I ordered 16 different samples) and one of the best so far! On me, it began with lavender, spices and some juicy metallic green scent I've never smelled before...and absloutely adore! As it dries it gets sweeter and softer-more "comfy" if you will. I love so many of the notes in this: gurjum (divine), leather, myrrh, etc. Yet it is hard to pick them out singly, as this has so much going on at once (like the tailor shop did)and is "woven" together so well. This is warm, smoothly spicy, elegant & formal...but not too proper. The drydown is (dare I say it?) classic; but more in the gentleman's way, as opposed to the grandpa way. The longer you wear this, the more it become part of you, and even as it dries and tones down, it still radiates refinement and class. When you put it on it's new, different. As you wear it is gets softer and smoother and after it's settled (broken in), it is obviously well made and superbly tailored, and more like "you" than it was at first...just like a tailor-made suit! This was obviously not made just for me...but when I wear it-it sure feels like it! :-)

Sillage: good
Longevity: very good
Overall: 4.25/5

I'm very impressed with the new Penhaligon's! They have created something that is at once new and modern, with a classic feel; and is extremely well made, layered and constructed. If you like smelling great, but don't want anything too "old" or too modern-this IS the happy medium. To me nothing says class more than a beautifully made fragrance that is at once familiar, quality and unique...Sartorial is just that!

guest_oslo-fjord
guest_oslo-fjord

Very sophisticated and elegant. An excellent creation from master-nose Bertrand Duchaufour. It`s a classical scent with a modern twist. It`s formal semi-formal, and typical british and gentleman-ish in style. A very well done fougere, and one of my favourites from this house. Highly recommended!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s Sartorial fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s Sartorial, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sartorial by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sartorial by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

beauty at ebay