Designers » N-Q » Oriental « Groups

The Tragedy of Lord George Penhaligon`s for men

The Tragedy of Lord George Penhaligon`s for men
dislike

The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon`s is a Oriental fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. The Tragedy of Lord George was launched in 2016. The nose behind this fragrance is Alberto Morillas. The fragrance features brandy, woodsy notes, tonka bean and amber.

Brandy Woodsy Notes Tonka Bean Amber

Japon Noir
Symphonie-Passion

The Tragedy of Lord George Fragrance Reviews

sarahvigne
sarahvigne

I found this instantly attractive when I smelt it on my husband. The price is way too high. Can anyone tell me of a similar perfume that is less pricey? I love the gourmand, peppery, tonka smell. It is seductive and not harsh in any way.

Calvini
Calvini

This goes on boozy sweet and smoky woody (almost oudy) at the same time; it's quite nice but expensive.. I might get it just for the deer head lol
*I second Houdini4

Quick review update here, while backtracking slightly on my initial appraisal, I will both agree and take issue with some of the things said by Nick Zee.
I don't know if it's just the fact that I actually like ambroxan but I kinda expect modern compositions to contain it and this didn't immediately scream it to me. However upon wearing it on Christmas day I will concede that the shaving cream element is that soapy, clean, ambery, musk that some people might consider cheap or doesn't belong in a high end fragrance like this one... I don't agree but I notice it more now I've had a few proper wears I think it's unfair to slate the perfumer for this as I still think it's a very interesting composition and worthy of the Penhaligon's name. I also agree that this stuff is overpriced and the performance is a bit lacking. It's strange because I did sample it extensively before I got the full bottle, maybe this one is a little style over substance but I made it clear I was getting it for the bottle mainly, something I never do but this one was too good to miss.

stephan
stephan

This is good. You may say I'm crazy, this is similar to Creed Original Vetiver.
I'm certain this contains vetiveryl acetate.
Performances are excellent.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

On my skin, The Tragedy of Lord George revolves around ambroxan or something very similar. Its airy, ambery warmth is further enhanced by creamy tonka bean, while its vegetal/mineral aspect manifests like the fresh woodiness of vetiver. The booziness of brandy brings vibrancy during the opening, while its dry undertone overlaps with the vetiver-like nuance.

Sometimes, the tonka and the woody amber hinting me of men's fougere fragrances with a discreet aromatic undertone; sometimes, the particular woodiness of vetiver makes a nutty accord with the tonka bean. But these are eventually all minor variations from time to time. 2 hours in, The Tragedy of Lord George settles into a woody vanilla/tonka (which I think is something similar to Ambroxan, then adorned by creamy tonka), and remains almost unchanged until the end.

The fragrance is quite velvety in texture and lightweight as well. Its comfortable et restrained creaminess makes it feel like a smooth body cream applied on the skin. The sillage remains relatively close to skin, and the longevity can reach further than 10 hours.

The Tragedy of Lord George is a lovely woody ambery fragrance, streamlined, modern, undemanding and easy to wear. However, its price is still an issue for me personally. Because ,even though The Tragedy of Lord George maintains the chic and versatility of a few Penhaligons's fragrances that I know, it's neither original enough, or rich, layered enough compared to other Penhaligon's offerings. I think The Tragedy of Lord George worths a try if you're looking for a nice-smelling, soft woody amber fragrance, but I don't think it would be too difficult to find something similar and less expensive in this popular genre.

NickZee
NickZee

Firstly, the main note is not Amber, it is ambroxan, the synthetic ambergris that plagues designers at the moment. Secondly, there is no brandy, not in the sense of some of the stunning boozy fragrances on the niche market today. This is a standard designer-level woody lavender thing with ambroxan screaming on the side and making it all very bright. Honestly, this has nothing on some of Penhaligon's other offerings like Sartorial or Opus. Alberto Morillas needs to hang his head in shame for pouring this generic drivel into a bottle that sells for double the others in the Penhaligons range.

To say I want this perfume more for the bottle than the fragrance itself, might make me appear fickle and diminish the status of what is a very lovely smelling thing. However, we must face facts...the stopper on this bottle is awesome and seeing the bottle in real life is no disappointment, it really is that cool.
The fragrance itself displays the typical restraint you get in most Penhaligon's, trading off truly deep opulence with genuinely wearable appeal. They might not always (in fact rarely) reach dizzying heights but they consistently release fragrances I believe to have been steadily crafted and considered, Lord George is no different.
It opens with a boozy amber, instantly warm and likable which settles to a exotic wood/vanilla vibe. It's undeniably sweet but offset by it's grown up booziness and some of that bitter, coffee type element from tonka bean. Lord George isn't a full on gourmand such as other recent Tonka releases like Feve delicieuse. Instead it's focused on the woods and amber to give it that more male emphasis.
I enjoyed it tremendously, opens great and just gets better in the drydown due to some great notes which complement each other well. Lord George is the definition of more than the sum of it's parts and like the other one's in this range, has some notes or qualities that are hard to place. It is quite long lasting, especially on clothes but nothing monumental and showing the usual lack luster performance of the brand. (although I found it completely acceptable) This is where most people take issue with the brand and if you're forking out this much then you are entitled to moan. However, If you do decide to buy you will be treated to a nice smelling winter fragrance and a wonderful bottle to adorn your perfume shelf.
I will probably get this one at some point.

Kinosan
Kinosan

Lord George is unique as I have not smelt something like this before. Really good Wintery fragrance, very warm and cosy, love it~

Sillage is not huge, though it is quite long lasting.

Price is very steep though, 178GBP for 75ml

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Penhaligon`s The Tragedy of Lord George fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Penhaligon`s The Tragedy of Lord George, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon`s. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon`s represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.