Designers » N-Q » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Black Vetiver Phaedon for women and men

Black Vetiver Phaedon for women and men
dislike

Black Vetiver Phaedon for women and men Pictures

Black Vetiver by Phaedon is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for women and men. Black Vetiver was launched in 2013. The fragrance features vetiver, lemon and pepper.

Vetiver Lemon Pepper

Black Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

landshark321
landshark321

Phaedon Black Vetiver isn't quite as dark as it sounds---a pleasant, agreeable mix of vetiver, black pepper, and lemon.

It's roughly about as dirty as I like vetiver to be (Chanel Sycomore pushes the threshold slightly).

It's slightly more cold weather-friendly but it probably wouldn't be problematic to wear, as in too cloying, in the summer as well, given that the lemon brightens it up and the veitver is about midway between fresh and dirty, with the pepper not being applied too heavily, either.

In a similar sense, it's slightly masculine but overall a unisex fragrance.

A nice option but for the standard Phaedon EDP pricing of $160 for 100ml, a bit of a stretch, unfortunately, but maybe I'd consider it at discounted pricing.

7 out of 10

micavana
micavana

Black Vetiver is true to its name... for about 30 minutes. BV opens with a strong pepper and vetiver on my skin. About 30 mins in the lemon emerges and lightens the scent up a bit. 6 hours in. I am still getting a light, soft and smooth vetiver. Lemon and pepper have receded into the background. 12 hours in, still a soft vetiver that is very close to the skin.

I agree with Mary-Jayne bellow, based on the name and bottle, I expected this scent to be darker and smoky. But instead it is more clean and fresh.

Overall, not a bad scent, but there are so many others out there that have this vibe, so I will not be adding a bottle of this to my collection in the near future. One day I may revisit it though.

Bottom line: If you are a Vetiver fan you should try a sample to see how it works on your skin.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

I am missing the “black” part here, at any stage, but nonetheless... what a compelling smooth and modern vetiver this is. Along the line of Tom Ford’s Grey Vetiver, but noticeably more quality to any extent for me: crisper, more natural, more vibrant, with a more “dimensional” texture, slightly rawer too (or, say, maybe just more “genuine-smelling”). A bit similar to Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier’s Racine as well, mostly for the citrus-vetiver combo, but somehow more transparent, slightly colder and overall more “minimalistic” than that – shortly, more contemporary. The evolution of Black Vetiver is quite simple, basically it starts off with an invigoratingly vivid splash of zesty lemon supported by an initially toned-down elegant accord of smooth, salty vetiver infused with something which smells like a sort of aldehydic musk to me; it’s very subtle, but it gives a peculiar texture to the woody base accord, making it smell as a sort of a greyish, breezy vetiver “mist” sprayed on dry concrete. Well, I’m making it sound more avantgarde than it is, but that’s more or less the effect I get here.

Once most of the greenish top notes of lemon fade away, it’s all about some really great, high quality, vibrant yet pleasantly civilized grassy-salty vetiver still surrounded by that breezy sort of dusty mist I mentioned above – and still lightly infused by some citrus nuances. But most of all it’s vetiver though, and it’s completely, indisputably pleasant as only good vetiver can be. It smells very natural, very woody and grassy-salty (no “inky” nonsense or whatever other ill synthetic rendition of it). And like good vetiver does, it smells also at once very elegant, yet terribly laid-back and easy to wear. As the drydown progresses, some more somber, smokier and slightly sweeter nuances arise, but at no point it will get too “black” – just a bit quieter and moodier, but with a palpable salty-breezy feel underneath. More than “black”, a “grey-yellow vetiver”.

That’s it, it may sound simple and it actually is, but it’s a pure, vibrant kind of simple, something more than pleasant to wear. Thank God none of Guillaume’s trademark mish-mash concepts are here, no weird mojitos and no chubby gourmands gone wrong. This doesn’t smell at all like one of his creations for me, and maybe that’s why it smells so nice. By far my favourite “modern” vetiver, a refined everyday gem and a perfect contemporary companion to the nicest old-school vetivers like Guerlain’s or Carven’s. Still quite overpriced but totally worthy if you can get some discount.

8,5/10

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

As a vetiver lover, I find that Black Vetiver holds up to it's name. At first spray I smell pure vetiver, then gently mixes with the citrus and pepper. I can actually smell the vetiver throughout the day. I have worn it in the hot South Florida days, and it balances out very well. Longevity is very good.

spartan
spartan

Vetiver Fragrance are my Favorites, and Phaedon delivers A wonderful addition to the many on the market today. Very well done, its A Very Fresh take on Vetiver not to heavy just right.
It's A great choice if you are looking for that great vetiver smell without overpowering everyone around you.

I guess my only issue with purchasing A full bottle would be the price. In my opinion Phaedon and Guerlin's vetiver are so close it really make no sense to pay an extra $100 plus dollars for the Pheadon.

Longevity seems to be an issue as well, I have tested it X2 now and it does not hold up well. Guerlain and Tom Fords are much wiser Buys.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

From a sample spray I have been using.

This opens like a mens cologne – very much like Dana English Leather in fact, although quite quickly a lemon note comes through. This sweetens and softens the rough opening, and lemon sweetness takes over for a while.
I am very surprised as I expected with the name “black vetiver” and the packaging etc for this to be dark and smoky when in fact this reminds me of summertime!
It again has a “summer skin” type feel wearing over these last few warm days, but this is bright and light not dark or black. The name and packaging don't match the scent for me!

Anyway I quite like this. It did turn a little strange, almost like a swimming pool for a while in the middle (!) which I am unsure about. In fact the image that comes to mind in the heart and in the drydown, smells like you have been sunbathing at the poolside somewhere hot and sunny, sun lotion in place and decided to go for a dip to cool off. So you go swimming in the cool waters of the outdoor chlorinated pool, then sit in the sun to dry, sipping a lemon tea.

This is a little weird but kind of nice. I have been using in quite warm weather (well, British warm!) and it has suited quite well. A little strident in the opening but mellows well, lasts over 12 hours, and moderate to big sillage.
Weird but nice!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Phaedon Black Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Phaedon Black Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Vetiver by Phaedon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Vetiver by Phaedon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.