Designers » N-Q » Oriental Floral « Groups

Rouge Avignon Phaedon for women and men
dislike

cacao
Rouge Avignon Phaedon for women and men Pictures

Rouge Avignon by Phaedon is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. Rouge Avignon was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Guillaume. Top notes are raspberry and ylang-ylang; middle notes are rose, cacao pod, hinoki wood and tuber; base notes are vetiver, sandalwood, musk and amber.

Raspberry Ylang-Ylang

PG13 Brulure de Rose

Rouge Avignon Fragrance Reviews

landshark321
landshark321

Phaedon Rouge Avignon seems to be a bit polarizing, but I definitely like a lot overall. As a man that enjoys rose and sweet fragrances, I enjoy RA as a sweet rose fragrance that, while perhaps smelling a little bit like a designer cheapie, is fresh and delightful and seems to occupy a much more space than many of the rose fragrances that are harshened by oud or tobacco, and while some of those are done masterfully, it's hit-or-miss.

It's fairly unisex in my opinion--men that like rose might like this as I do might like this, but men and women in general might each find it interesting.

Performance is very good on those, slightly above average for an EDP. Still, the pricing ($160 for 100ml, which seems to be Phaedon's standard for EDP) is a little prohibitive, as I see myself having limited uses for this, so I'd pursue a smaller quantity if at all. Still, very nice and a lovely wear.

8 out of 10

SchopenhauersNose
SchopenhauersNose

Rouge Avignon has top notes of rose, ylang ylang, and raspberry; middle notes of woods, cocoa bean, black truffle, vetiver; and base notes of sandalwood, musk, and amber. It was released in 2013 by perfumer Pierre Guillaume, who is perhaps better known for the work in his own line, Parfumerie Generale.

Rouge Avignon opens up with what seems like a watery, transparent tea rose with slight hints of musk and powder and even fainter traces of vetiver and wood that isn’t a “traditional” perfumery wood – which I suppose is the hinoki. The ylang ylang is blended very nicely into what a first seems to be a very rose-forward fragrance, which adds to the femininity of the overall presentation. Perhaps it’s just the way it wears on my skin, but I don’t detect anything of cocoa powder or black truffle in here, and it’s the furthest thing away from a gourmand I could imagine. Maybe my skin suppresses them, or maybe they’re just fantasy notes.

At the end of the day, this might get you accused of having raided your grandmother’s perfume cupboard if you reach for this. In a day and age when we all have ourselves thoroughly convinced that everything is unisex, some perfumes still “lean” – and this one leans feminine, and even decidedly elderly. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the rose-scented water that you often find in Indian cuisine, especially in rice pudding. Other than that watery, transparent rose, there’s not really a lot that is singing off of my skin.

I can’t really find any written evidence of this anywhere, but I’d guess that this is supposed to be an olfactory impression of the years when the papacy was centered in Avignon, France instead of Rome (1309-1377). It’s easy to see how the raspberry and rose could echo the carmine papal stole; there’s an almost incense-like scent from the sandalwood and hinoki that recalls the thurible of the Catholic Church. However, rose scents have really saturated the market: there are light roses, dark and spicy oriental roses, and the ubiquitous rose-oud combination. But of different kinds of archetypal rose that are out there, this one doesn’t really peg any one of them well enough to justify the asking price of $160 USD for 100 ml. There’s simply too much competition, and Rouge Avignon is just too indistinguishable in a flailing body of other rose perfumes on the market, all vying for attention. To make matters even worse, after a couple of hours it becomes a lingering skin scent, though judging from the ratings above, this might just be a peculiarity of my own skin chemistry.

Overall, I can’t really say that there’s much of anything to recommend this to someone who is already familiar with similar scents that are on the market. It’s not so much that it is unpleasant or badly constructed – but just completely lacking in any kind of distinction. If this is really the kind of rose that you admire, there are a dozen more out there at a more reasonable price point. I enjoyed getting to sample this and I look forward to trying more from the brand, but I ultimately can’t recommend this at all.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Let's face it: the market is saturated with dark rose perfumes. There are jammy roses, cosmetics roses, patchy roses, oudy rose attars, and so many perfumes that smell like Noir de Noir, including other perfumes from Tom Ford that all share similar characteristics.

Rouge Avignon is a perfume in its own right. What I find interesting is that it seems like a blend of all of the above. I smell a jammy rose, a dark & creamy Middle Eastern inspiration, and a powdery cosmetics rose all in the same bottle.

Chocolate is noticeable, and it's more like an alkaline chocolate powder versus a chocolate candy bar. I don't smell raspberry specifically, but I have to assume it comes into play to create the confiture effect. And the biggest component of the perfume, unsurprisingly, is a velvety red rose.

I think it's a beautiful fragrance, but because I already own Histoires de Parfums' 1969, which also has rose, fruit and chocolate, I feel no immediate need to buy this one. But I still recommend sampling it. I have had more misses than hits with the Phaedon line. After Tabac Rouge, this would be my next choice.

swade
swade

I received a sample vial of this perfume from Lucky Scent and tried it out. Unlike most of the other samples I ordered, I immediately disliked this one. It smells powdery and musty. My husband described it as "old lady" with emphasis on "old". I'd have to agree.

RoyalPerez516
RoyalPerez516

LOL seekritdude So basically she said you smelled like a douche bag? I'm going to stay away from this scent fort that review alone Lol xD

I have heard people compare this one to Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. The notes are somewhat similar, but not sure if it's supposed to be a dupe or an original fragrance?

I have noticed with this house that there is a reoccurring theme.

This one smells like Noir de Noir, and tabac rouge smells like tobacco vanille...I guess I'm going to have to get a decant and find out for myself.

will update you all soon.

miletas89
miletas89

This is beautiful. Everything about it, from the name of the brand, the design of the bottle, to the scent inside just transports you into some kind of romantic historic vision of the classical ages. It is sweet, rosy, warm, and and there is a faint lovely oud note in the beginning that, as the flowers fade away towards the end of the life of the fragrance, stays fixated on the skin.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

I tested this alongside PG's Isparta (rose-oud) and the PG just came out on top for me but both scents were ultimately hugely disappointing.

They both have some reproduction or effect of an oud note in them, and they become very, very loud.

This starts on me with a puff of delightful jammy-rose sweetness but then, immediately a drab, dull, totally unsweet, dry, photorealistic wood - a very royalish wood, facets of greeny, like bamboo, of unrelenting Quality dominates.

Yet, without any lively sweetness or fruits (where is the raspberry??) it was all so dull.

So the Fragrantica accord list clearly has an error; there certainly is no such 'sweet' accord as listed at the Top, but the 'woody' as the dominant one is certainly correct.

I clearly get a sense of a solid, yet strangely aquatic hinted wood. My head drooped as what appeared to be a whimpering puff of unsweet raspberry flew by, to be lost forever in a strange mass of dark, bewildering forest of hardwood.

Raspberry was of real Quality but so anemic in it's reproduction; as if some diluted the finest pressed (slightly sweet/ripened) juice 10 times and sprayed it 10 yards aways towards you!

So, this 'wood/mossy' accord was remarkably pungent.

While the PG became more balmy and insencey, Rouge Avignon just didn't budge from the immovable forest!

Then it hit me; this was just another reproduction of that oud note! Again, yet again! Why?

A shame; from the stopper, I get rich, regal chocolate, with a dark slant of the forest but all much sweeter, and a dash of sweeter raspberries and oud. That was an 8/10 smell.

Sadly, what I find on skin is anything but; developemet to anything exciting, sweet and luscious (as the notes promise) is painfully slow, and while the truffle note is amazing, it sadly wasn't given a chance.

Why note use sandalwood and more cocoa for a romantic scent? And where is all the sweetness of the raspberries? Hope here; dashed!

My rating: 4/10.
Scent Quality: 10/10.

spidola
spidola

Some perfumes evoke our memories and tell us stories...This is my ROUGE AVIGNON story...
When I was a little girl I did not dream to be a princess as most of my playmates, I dreamed to be a witch. Not the ugly one, humpbacked and with a big nose, but a beautiful little witch with long red hair. I used to wear long velvet dresses with some golden ornaments, decorate my hair with wild red roses and ride my black horse in wild forest. In this dream I understood the language of birds, spoke with animals, and used the power of herbs, trees and stones for make magic. I was free, rebel and happy... When I smelled Rose Avignon, I smelled the perfume of this beautiful dream. It's a smell of dark gothic rose, enriched with exotic hinoki wood, smoky vetiver and milky warm sandalwood, softened by sweet raspberry and cacao bud and rounded by black truffle. These notes are so well blended, it's not too dry and incensy, not too jammy sweet, not too rosy....Rouge Avignon enchanted me and took me back to my childhood fairytale...

butterbean
butterbean

Here is what I get wearing Rouge Avignon:

First off strong tubery, woody, kind of dry with a softer woody spice. ..definitely smelling some vetiver here with rose. There is some sweet warm amber here too. Rose comes out more as it wears. Vetiver gets a bit stronger and that tuber? it keeps on, keeping on.. the entire time.

This scent with its strong tuber is reminding me of heavy tubery Black Orchid. However, it is as if Black Orchid had all the patchouli taken out, softened the cacao, added a different spicy woody note and thrown in a really nice rose, then you'd have something very similar to Rouge Avignon.

Not really picking up a lot of raspberry here...it is more of a non distinct fruity rose.

Fairly nice scent. Probably more suited for cooler months or nights.

Ha! I just noticed the notes - hinoki wood!! yep.. there is the kinda spicy woody I was getting (hinoki has this spice to it) it's quite intensive w/ the tuber for sure.

rp6969
rp6969

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "tuber" in question is a truffle.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

Non ho ancora capito come si faccia a definire un odore "maschile" o " femminile".
A me Rouge Avignon piace molto, è caldo, morbido e avvolgente, con una luce porpora nel cuore (rosa e lampone) avvolta dalle tenebre e dal fumo.
Non penso che un uomo debba sapere sempre e solo di dopobarba, freddo e verde.

Kain
Kain

This is a pleasant semi sweet musky floral scent with some woodsy notes as the backbone of the fragrance but it has a completely familiar vibe.

At the opening I can smell a strong woodsy note right in your face that has a synthetic vibe and smells kind of like oud (is that Hinoki Wood?!) while semi sweet rose and musk surrounding it.

As time passes scent gets a little better where sharp woodsy note settles down and it gets sweeter plus stronger rose and now I can smell a pleasant mellow raspberry beside this sweet floral musky and slightly woody scent.
Smells nice. I admit that. but there is nothing to get excited about.
Projection is average and longevity is around 4-5 hours on my skin.

این عطر یه کار خوشبو گلی بر پایه گل رز و مشک هست که مقداری هم رایحه های چوبی بهش ساختار محکمتر و جدی تری میدن اما بوش خیلی آشنا و تکراریه

رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی کاملا مشخص و قوی و تلخ چوبی چیزی شبیه به عود (اینجا رایحه چوب هینوکی ذکر شده و ظاهرا زیر سر اینه) که البته به نظر من تم بوی سینتتیک و غیر طبیعی داره شروع میشه در حالی که مقدار کمی رز و کمی هم رایحه مشک اونو همراهی میکنن
یه شروع استاندارد و بدون کاراکتر خاص یا چیز متفاوتی ولی نسبتا خوب

با گذر زمان و تو رایحه میانی بوی عطر کمی بهتر و جالب تر میشه. رایحه تند و تیز و تلخ چوبی خیلی آرومتر و ملایم تر میشه و رایحه رز قویتر و شیرین تر میشه. حالا در کنار اینا من یه بوی ملایم و خوشبو تمشک هم حس میکنم که خوشبختانه تم بوی مطلوبی داره و عطر رو جذابتر میکنه
بوی خوبی داره. منکر این قضیه نمیشم. اما هیچ چیز خاصی یا متفاوت و جدیدی هم نداره
پخش بوی متوسط و ماندگاری در حد 4-5 ساعت روی پوست داره

spartan
spartan

First off this is NOT A unisex Fragrance! Very Feminine. Bought it in A sample pack from Lucky Scent.
Well made of course, and could be A wonderful signature or addition to any collection. Again Not A Masculine scent.
Beautiful Female Fragrance.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Although its not a awful smell, I offer you a somewhat humorous example of what happened in my one testing of this. A girl smelled and was taken back. She gave me a strange face and said something along the lines of "that smells like a girls.... well what girls use... for their.."

There was a awkward silence I said... "... a.. a douche?"

She busted out laughing and said "yes yes that"

I guess you can say at least I got a story out of my one wearing of it. I do agree it does smell very girly, and although it doesn't smell bad I cant see myself ever wearing it. For my money if I wanted a more "girlish" smelling fragrance there are much better ones to be had than this.

Guest_theperfumedveil
Guest_theperfumedveil

Sadly, I lost out on a perfectly priced bottle of this rarety on ebay recently but now that I received my first sample of it, I am not so sad anymore. This is a beautiful perfume just like the other reviewers have written: jammy rose, nice woods, maybe a little fire. But there is a stubborn note I don't like in there which ruins the whole composition. Since I've never smelled tuber, I am going to say it is that. Or maybe the cocoa pods. Overall, I have been very impressed with the Phaedon line and despite this particular perfume not being my favorite, I can tell it is so well done and worth more than a lot of other super-expensive niches.

Oh man this fragrance is so insanely good I'm going to struggle to articulate myself in this review.
Reminiscent of Exactly the right balance of rose in rose/oud fragrances like a mixture between By Killian Rose Oud and Incense Oud.
Rouge Avignon is special stuff that sweet delicate rose and the perception of raspberry in the top notes is addictive! So magical and smells so similar to a few fragrances I've sniffed before but possibly better. The base is amber, sandalwood and I do get the slightly earthy tuber note too.
Wonderful, perfect mixture of woody and sweet smells very very expensive but thankfully is from Phaedon and the price is very reasonable considering the quality.
Great projection and longevity...Rouge Avignon is definitely on my radar.

Update second try and I totally get loads of cacao and hinoki wood this fragrance is an absolute gem. My only minor criticism is that it's not quite as pungent and long lasting as some roses but hey you can't have everything...still adore it, what a scent!!!!

miaou
miaou

Love it, this is my festive evening fragrance! This is one of the few scents which my husband notices and compliments EVERY time i wear them. The staying power (esp. on hair) and sillage are enormous. Can't get enough of it, so unique! And i feel lots of oud in this fragrance, i thought i don't like it before, but i was so wrong : )

mdrigotas
mdrigotas

Just received a much anticipated decant based on several reviewers whom I respect. My continued respect of them shall not be withheld but.. this is a "granny panty, doily, antique, circa 1800, absolutely terrible rose fragrance. Men...if you wish to attract the attention of of an octagenarian....by all means... buy this fragrance. Women looking to catch the attention of a young man...wear this and you instantly and olfactorially age 40 years. This is a rose that starts off as rotten with cocoa and cascades into an unrelenting sickly sweet rose and antiques. Horrible. Martin

uchini
uchini

this is SIMPLY the most SEXY scent ever.

Estebanz
Estebanz

Rouge Avignon is absolutely incredible,It was love at first Sniff for me,I was Sold and Had to buy it,I got my bottled 3 Days ago and today is the second time Im wearing it,reason why?Its addicting,I rarely wear the same fragrance twice in a short period of time,but this one is Exceptional,I will be honest here and say,this is gotta be one of the best purchases I have ever made,When I first Got my Bottled of Amouage Jubilation XXV I thought that no other fragrance will ever make me smell like Royalty other then Jubi,I was Wrong,PHAEDON Rouge Avignon truly makes me feel and Smell Like a Million Bucks,It just has this Upper Class Aroma that just blow Me Away,Today Im wearing it to work even know this is not a fragrance I plan on use much for Working scenarios because of its Luxurious Aroma,But I just can Help it,Its Addicting,The Long is All day(8 to 12 Hrs)Projection is heavy but not beast,just the way I like it for the type of fragrance this is,The Blend of Hinoki Wood with Rose and Raspberry was just a genious Idea,Opening takes my breath away,then as it developes I start to get a warming Sweet & Dark Chocolate accord with a pinch of Amber and Patchouli,It also has a smooky quality,and as crazy as it may sound,It also has a Waxy Iris like quality,Almost like womans makeup,this is totally Unisex and One of the few Fragrances that can succesfully pull Off Sexy & Mature at once,I will say that if this sounds like something you will like,and you tried and liked Tom Ford Noir de Noir,Xerjoff More than Words,and Kerosene Fields of Rubus than You will Find something along those lines with PHAEDON Rouge Avignon but with an added Mature Royalty Vibe kind of like Jubilation XXV.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Phaedon Rouge Avignon fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Phaedon Rouge Avignon, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rouge Avignon by Phaedon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rouge Avignon by Phaedon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.