Designers » N-Q » Woody Spicy « Groups

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur Pierre Cardin for men

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur Pierre Cardin for men
dislike

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur was launched in 1972. Top notes are orange, lavender, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, leather, sandalwood, patchouli and geranium; base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, benzoin, oakmoss and vanilla.

Orange Lavender Basil Bergamot Lemon

Azzaro pour Homme

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur Fragrance Reviews

worth1969
worth1969

I will echo the sentiments of the gentleman who recommended the green box ( eau de toilette version)
which was made in France in 1992. The woodsy and citrus notes are wonderful and they have a calming effect on me when I wear this. I also like the early Jacqueline Cochran version which also has a wonderful, high quality sandalwood in the base, which becomes very subtle over time. I don't appreciate the later formulations as they use cheaper ingredients and aren't blended as well as the aforementioned Pour Monsieur (EDT) and Jacqueline Cochran cologne. My understanding is that the first U.S. version was Cochran, then shulton, Tsumura, Aladdin, and 5 star.
Each version smells different, so before you give this a negative review, please seek out the original or the EDT in the vintage green box - well worth the search!

Ramdeep
Ramdeep

Possibly the first or second perfume i ever wore as a teenager (the others being Chanel Pour Monsieur and Dior Eau Sauvage). I still like it. I must point out to all those who have reviewed it or tried it recently (that is in the last 20+ years) that different manufacturers have produced it since its inception in 1972. I am unaware of the first company to do so (in France it was made in France and continues to made) however as early as i can remember, Distribution Jaqueline Cochrane in the US made the first version and the best by far, afterwards companies like Shulton, Tsumara & Coty produced it with cheapened formulas (as it was no longer a big hit and sales were slow). So unless you smell the original version, you will not be smelling it as originally intended. That goes for all other perfumes that get reformulated or change production companies, which for the most part happens to 90% of all big brand releases and to some extent some of the niche brands as well. I can never recall a perfume getting better over time from anyone.

baudelaire
baudelaire

Try to find the version of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur in the green box that is Made in France, it is far superior than current formulation. PCPM is a true 70's classic that still smells great today. For a drugstore fragrance it is blended very well and goes through many changes on my skin, an underrated gem.

Aromadude
Aromadude

A nice classic mens cologne with hints of citruses and spices,I would classify it as a casual fragrance for general all around wear.This is probably Pierre Cardin's finest fragrance.

TonyAKAMrClean
TonyAKAMrClean

One thing's for sure, this fragrance holds up for a long time! I've got a bottle that's 20+ years old. The bottom has a code that doesn't work on CheckFresh, but there's a copyright 1992 on the label. I acquired the bottle nearly full from a thrift store when I was still a kid.

It still smells great! But in that time, I've only used about 1/2 of the bottle, if that says anything. It's a nice scent, but a bit too refined. Maybe better suited for someone fancier than I am. Someone more classy. Honestly, in my opinion, it's a VERY classy scent. Too classy, to be honest. Not sure why the smell of this makes me think that...

Maybe one day I'll grow into this one? :)

Wearing this today, I can also tell you that it lasts through an entire work day and then some. Or, at least, this bottle does. Projection is perfect as well. This is some strong stuff! They don't make many scents like this old bottle was made too often anymore. At the end of the day, I'm finding that it reminds me of my mom's "Opium" perfume oil. I really wish there was some black pepper and maybe coriander in this scent to add texture and possibly orris root or iris or violet to bring it all together, but all told, this a very fine (and refined) scent.

Reviewing vintage mini EDT
From reviews, it seems that the vintage and reform are vastly different.

Light opening, a little like 4711, classic, black or white pepper, sweet something, orange or bergamot, and a powdery tone, which resembles, but is not musk, maybe some form of amber, with a slight barber shop vibe, but slight. To me, this is not strong, but soft and fine for ladies too. A classic cologne base with a twist, and soft soft dry down. A little bit sweet, maybe a clove or carnation note also. Subtle notes in a soft harmony. And vanilla.

mike2342
mike2342

Like all the reviews have said below. Its not bad but extremely boring,nothing jumps out about this
Just to point out i agree with below reviewer get the green tin that says perfume deodorant
Thats some friggin good smelling stuff and has more to it than the edt spray

Marand75
Marand75

There's a reason why this perfume is so insanely cheap today (10 bucks for 100ml here in DK): it's made by CoTy and 95% synthetic. And we all know that CoTy f**ks everything up. Just like L'Oreal did Kouros and P&G did Lacoste (the original).
Point is: if you DO give a shit...go vintage. True engredients, real oils.
And if you MUST have todays Pour Monsieur, then get the perfumed deodorant in the green can. It is, afterall, way better than the glass bottle edt.
It's the same with Kouros. Why, I don't know.
I got the cans. AND the very vintage PM, Kouros and Lacoste edt's and aftershaves, for special days and occasions.

PercivalGoldstone
PercivalGoldstone

Very boring. There's some pepper and... nothing enticing at all. It doesn't smell bad but it's uninteresting in every way.

It's a cologne for people who don't really wear cologne. The thought process for buying it is probably something like, "Hmmm... I heard of Pierre Cardin once and it's cheap, I guess I'll get it." And then that person wears it three times a year when they put on their suit for special occasions at church. Everyone else... I promise you that you will be completely bored by this before the first spray begins to dry down.

I have to wonder how many people get stuck with this in their stocking every Christmas.

Marie69

Classic, spicy men´s cologne. A much smoother Old Spice type, with more powder, and less spice. The dry down is quite sweet and fine for a woman also. It does not seem really strong, which is nice. It is a little barber shop soapy. Not the very most exciting fragrance but very good value and no nonsense.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

I bought what my memory said looked just like Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur that I'd seen in packaging for decades but never more than really glanced. It was .6 oz for under $6. Why not, I thought? It will probably get my tongue to stick out in disgust the way Halston Z-14 always did. Every time I'd think, maybe Now I'll like it. I did love the bottle. But back to PC. I was. Stunned. This smelled like something I would pay money! What was this golden water so modestly packaged in plastic and a splash (not my preference) to boot? Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur should have been meh at best. Instead, once I over-poured just a trickle (the reason for the non-splash preference) and reprimanded myself. Don't Waste It! I love this stuff.

Sophisticated, Smooth. Leather. Bad ass.
btw, still haven't given up on z-14 but somebody gone have to give me another bottle!

omar.melmo

Migalex; I think that the green box is for the european market, I had one and it was a nicely blended eau de toilette that behaves well in terms of longevity and projection.. maybe a little bit too ambery in the basenotes but I definitely enjoyed it..

Migalex

Does anyone know if the 75 ml bottle in a green shiny box is a new edition of the original fragrance?

dubairob
dubairob

Just a point of advice in relation to this. The EDT of the original fragrance is clearly just a shadow of what it once was. However, there is a 'Parfum Deodorant' spray of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur which is actually very good with excellent performance (for a deodorant).

The benefit of this spray is that it complements very nicely some of the more classic fragrances that I use...those that have a sandalwood, citrus and/or leather component. Works quite well with Le 3me Homme de Caron, Cacharel Pour L'Homme and Chanel Egoiste.

The Parfum Deodorant spray (green can) is well recommended. The EDT of this is not. Such is the state of the industry these days.

missan

I have an older bottle made in France, with the open P. I find it very, very good. Very nicely blended, smooth and natural smelling. Not so much leather as indicated from the votings, but otherwise they seem to fit. Very long lasting. I use it sparingly these days.

The present produced one is not worth mentioning IMO, it´s totally destroyed.

scotrob
scotrob

I bought this in a New York department store from a bargain bin of colognes and paid about $4.99 for it, so I suppose you could say I got a bargain. To be honest, the bottle is the best thing about this fragrance (and probably the reason why I picked it up in the first place)...after splashing on a few drops it is really hard to pick out any good notes...it has a cheap spiciness reminiscent of Brut or Old Spice, and I agree with the reviewer who felt that it smelt of hairspray. This fragrance is pretty ordinary, and somewhat dated. In dry-down all I can detect is vanilla, and the longevity is not great. If you are looking for a cheap cologne there are plenty out there with more character (try Quorum for example).... but in this case I think I will be keeping the novel little bottle and ditching the contents.

sm0lds
sm0lds

The current version deserves a requiem more than a review. It's very weak, a mere shadow of its former glory. If you apply it and let it dry down you can still get a whisper of what it used to be. I do still like the dry down. I never found it overpowering during the 1980's and that was part of its appeal. Perhaps some people wore it too well back then. Anyway, its another sad case of a great fragrance being diluted almost beyond recognition. Still wearable, just faint. Maybe I will "roll the dice" and a vintage bottle from Ebay.

As an update, I purchased a vintage EDT on EBay from a reputable seller. It was made in France. That's the juice I remember. Thats the way to go if your trying to add this to your collection.

zedsefi

Apparently what I have is the recent formulation. No wonder why it stinks. As one of the reviwers said: This is a 5 star disaster. I can't agree more!

zedsefi

Smells like a hairspray. No wonder why it is available for a so cheap price. That's just a cologne, so I can't imagine how worse it could get if it was stronger than that! Best use is to spray the house with it, or spray it all over your body while you are having a shower (not after) so you won't end up with a potent scent that won't come off you easily!

aber19
aber19

As avid perfume collector this fragrance is a masterpiece. It is a fresh citrus, soft oriental after the initial spray. What I like about this fragrance it represents quality for a fraction of the price. As a woman, when any man wears this it is very sexy and distinctive. The fragrance represents, positive citrus that is not overly sweet, leather and fantastic spices translating into energy. The bottle is unique and easy to use. This fragrance is easily unisex because of the lovely musk smell with spices is delicious. I think it can be worn at any time, but I think it makes a great office fragrance as becomes it becomes soft and elegant. I have bought many expensive fragrances for my partner, but seriously this one of my favorites. The maker of this fragrance is a genius. I understand older gentlemen prefer this, but seriously I think anyone could wear this. I give a 10/10 for smell.

cjas9298
cjas9298

It’s an apparently simple, sweaty, balmy, aromatic fougere with a wealth of citrus, oriental and floral notes to give it depth and complexity--after three weeks of daily wear and I’m still learning. Among prominent notes absent from most pyramids are allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, anise, cardamom, musk, rose, hyacinth, chamomile, and almond. PM is unpretentious, entertaining, and comforting with superior diffusion and persistence. PM is a near great, and that it sells for so little is a gift.

cornekopia
cornekopia

I admit, I bought this one for the flacon. I'm a sucker for a unique bottle, and this little water tower is so striking and chic. But the fragrance is very harsh to me, far too crisp and sharp and unsubtle. All I smell is acidic citrus and leather. It doesn't smell fresh, though, but musky and heavy. Is that the oakmoss? Or maybe the patchouli? I wish there was more lavender to soften the hard edges. It does settle down into a calmer masculine funkiness later in the day, but that initial blast is hard to get past.

Goktug
Goktug

good quality fragrance especially beginning is very nice.

hdn
hdn

This was the very first fragrance I ever bought in the mid 70s while still going to school and I bought it because of being fascinated by its bottle that was so 70ish. So I guess it has addicted me to the world of fragrances anyway. For me it was never one for every day usage, I soon got others for that, it was always for special occasions only and so I had it for some years before running dry.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

First I bought Jovan Sex Appeal, and the smell was okayish, then Pierre Cardin arrived and I put Jovan into the bin... Not quite (I love my Jovan).
The difference between the two is not so much in the fragrance (they are strangely similar), but in the longevity, name and design of the bottle: Pierre Cardin stays all day with you (and even longer), Jovan Sex Appeal fades in hours or even minutes. Sex Appeal sounds a bit "tacky" to be honest, while Pierre Cardin is couture, design, luxury of the 70s. The design of the Sex Appeal bottle looks cheap whereas Pierre Cardin's is in the line with Courrèges, Eau de Rochas: very vintage, therefore part of the perfumes of my generation: those born on the 60s.
You cannot find this little gem in stores in the UK, so I bought a bottle on line: £18 for 250ml which is going to last me ages.
One last thing: there is something about the scent that reminds me of the Mennen aftershave my uncle used to wear in the 70s. So if you are into those perfumes of today that all smell the same and in your 20s-30s, this will not be for you.
Perfect for office wear and evening when you want to make a difference and be noticed.
And don't believe what you read: compared to the old version, this one is really good. Perfume is first and foremost about you, how you feel comfortable wearing it, and not about attracting men and/or women with it.

krmarich

I just discovered a perfectly preserved vintage splash bottle made in France by Parfums Pierre Cardin. Its so far from the current Five Star disaster.

It is liquid gold that effortlessly defines refined French style for men. Its a citrus fougere that has a perfect orange/lavender accord that is so polite, unlike so many to follow. Its soft leather heart accompanies the vetiver, patchouli and oakmoss bouquet. I always got a little cinnamon perhaps not listed. Carnation leads right into the smooth musk/sandalwood/vanilla foundation. Its pure sex in a bottle.

Its hard to believe that Pierre Cardin was a luxury label in its time. This bottle was an empire builder and was later sold only to be mangled by cheaper companies. My nose has become more objective today and I can finally identify this classic as it is.

This was one of my first purchases back in the day. It reminds me of my first shave and kiss. Its young at heart and was all over the place in the 1980s. I am discovering I still Wear It Well!

ensoleille
ensoleille

He drove a Ferrari - red and flashy. He had one of those stereo chairs, shaped like an egg. He lived in Westwood. We had so much fun together. Whenever I smell this fragrance, I think of him. It smelled really good on him. He wore it well...
I still like this fragrance on a man, one of the few with an orange top note that aren't sickeningly sweet. It just has to be the right man - not many can carry it off.

LeggysMum
LeggysMum

I bought this some time back for my husband, it being a bargain, and me liking to experiment... Anyway, when I first got it I took a whiff, expecting magic from this classic, and I instantly screwed up my nose, glad, at least, that I hadn't paid a fortune.
Tonight, after his shower, I entered the room, and was knocked out by this beautiful aroma, musky, sweet and mildly spicy. I asked what he was wearing, and he said, y'know the big bottle ... it is huge, and there's no mistaking the magic, IF the chemistry is right.
This is so worth a try, because its far better when mixed with skin than just in the bottle. A classic for good reason, and quite a change from a lot of what's on offer in the men's ranges today. My husband is no whipper snapper, so this might need skin that's not pubescent to work well. But when it works, its irresistible (to a woman, at least to me anyway)

AZJeff
AZJeff

I'm glad to see other people like this cologne. I don't like it. In fact I hate it. It just doesn't react good with my skin chemistry. It evokes a atmosphere of someone that is French,or trying to be as French as possible. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what the person wants. There was a Pierre Cardin cologne called"Insatiable"? I bought a small travel size bottle of it,and I liked it. They don't sell that anymore. It smelled very different and a lot better than the regular Pierre Cardin.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Another Old Spice? Not quite. It's spicy, with what I assumed to be clove or nutmeg, but minus a lot of the sweetness of Old Spice or many designer brands. It's like I've taken whole spices with a little orange peel and vanilla and smashed them onto myself without sweetening them much, so that I could detect their dry bitterness underneath. It seems to me like all the notes are right there at the surface, but that doesn't make it shallow to me, just easy to appreciate. After trying many others, this old juice remains very close to what my ideal cologne would smell like, and it goes to show that you only need so much sweetness to make an excellent concoction. It's colored more darkly than it needs to be, so it leaves yellowness behind on cloth, and forgive me, but the bottle looks like something that a single lady would buy batteries for on a lonely night! I'm sure she's reminiscing about a man she once knew who wore Pierre Cardin and smelled dashing.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Back to the FUNK! Pour Monsieur is a captivation of moments in the 70's where black 'n white danced
together in discoteques and rollerskates where hip.
Every notes makes a statement to this absolute 70's vibe fragrance.
Too bad i never had the chance to sniff the vintage version i have the latest version (5star)

Notes : No Musk? - The top is thin with citrus n benzoin and taken over by a hint of vanilla and a shot of Amber-tonka and leather grooving and twirling on your upper chest giving this scent a powdery and balmy spice intermezzo.
Far away I even smell a little bit Habit Rouge but in whiffs.
This EDC is a real EDC in sillage and projection almost too bad it never came out in a more concentrated version.
This bottle is ugly and perfect at the same time as it gives it a modern retro 70 feeling. (remember the 70's modern interiors with white furniture and orange,red,brown and purple wallpapers and big metallic floorlights??)

The bottle is soooo big you almost embarres yourself if you bring it on a holidaytrip with friends putting it on the bathroom shelve...

On the other side you have to spray more then 16 to get a decent sillage and longevity ...

Big OK for me! If I have a 70's Disco party this will be a worthy companion

missan

For the vintage Cardin I see a connection to vintage Madame Rochas. Also a similarity to Myrurgia´s vintage Maderas de Oriente. All are lovely. The current formulation, nah I consider it not worth the low price.

8,5/10

aucffan1
aucffan1

I bought a bottle the size of a puppy.. 8oz of juice for $21.00 US dollars.... Its a huge bottle.. The cologne is a classic.. I wish they would concentrate it a little so it were stronger because it is very classy smelling..

Last 8 hours and projects average..

It smells so good I wish it had better projection so everyone could enjoy it..

8-10 stars.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

No nonsense classic powerhouse type frag. Smells great once it starts to drydown on skin. This and Polo are like the two original inductees into scent Hall of Fame. That being said, opening is dated smelling, drydown a bit less. Great for doing manly stuff, yardwork, working on car, etc. If you don't like classic frags, stay away!

p...
p...

say whatever u want about this fragrance but there is something about it and we all have worn it at least once

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A reviewer wrote: "This WAS the fragrance of the mid-to-late 70's in my Hollywood (you had to have been there)." I was, in Los Angeles. That's one of my problems with this scent, I guess.

I wore this back in 1978 and 1979 - but then I also wore polyester shirts and pants, too. And I was a total jerk. I didn't like myself much back then and smelling this these days reminds me how far I've come.

A lot of the time it's good to be 56 rather than 22.

I'd never ever wear it again. And my wife made a face when I let her smell an open bottle at a store. So that's nix for both of us.

williamvargas
williamvargas

i remember wearing this in the late 70's worked in retail sales for a tv/stereo store, locally owned store, right on main st..lots of traffic in and out of the store, i used to get so many compliments with this one, i still have it and break it out now and again, enjoyable snappy fragrance..every time i sniff this my mind takes me back to those times, funny how fragrances can do that, like listening to an old song that takes you back..fragrance was always important to me... i love this for the nostalgia that it brings me..a little strong so not too heavy on the trigger, but it really is still a pleasing man fragrance..thumbs up...I think Rocky Balboa would have rocked this scent...

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I used this cologne during my teenage years way back in the 70's. It smelled good at the time. I smelled it not long ago in the neighborhood drug store, and it seemed very strog and with a very heavy alcohol base.

omar.melmo

A rich, classy and versatile fragrance, between oriental and citrusy green fougère. Great aromatic qualities for such a low price. The development of the scent is really enjoyable through its different stages. Some might find the opening a bit harsh and offending, I find it a bit insolent and kicky, just do not overapply. Definitely for cold days, on my skin the scent turns a little bit sour in hot weather.
My rating : 8/10

Bobster
Bobster

Ok, Ok, Ok, I give this hairy chested macho guy some props for still being around for 40 years. I also give it props for having great longevity and projection. Sadly that's all it has going for it. Why would I want to be smelled a mile away from a scent I don't enjoy???? If you wear this fragrance then I commend you because you are one brave dude.

smellike
smellike

Its nice but not a favourite i wear this around the house when i don't want to waste my favourite fragrances...

aristocrat
aristocrat

Yet another inexpensive blind buy based on great reviews that I regret purchasing! I'll never learn. I should know by now that if it came out in 1972 it's probably better suited for men who were already on the planet back in '72. I wasn't!

Migalex

The current five star/aladdin reformulation, after the opening, is quite similar to the original. The opening is very different, it has a very sharp synthetic lemonish smell, which softens later, but by then, the scent has practically disappeared. The original is softer and sweeter, I like the scent better. It does also have better silage and staying power. The reformulation is too benzoine harsh, it seems to have more of it. Apart from that, the dominant scent to me is powdery geranium (geranium plus iris) and carnation, as in the original, but carnation scent is much more preeminent. I used to like this scent before (the original), but not anylonger, in part because there is too much carnation for my taste. I used to consider it the male version of Madame Rochas. The reformulation I find pathetic. It is too harsh and synthetical, not really pleasant, and although it is very strong at the beginning, and stronger than the original, it fades very quickly, however much you apply. It is probably to do with the fact of being eau de cologne (at least it is what the new bottle says), whose scent concentration is even lower than for EdT. Mostly for that reason, I consider it a waste of money, however cheap you get it. I will not buy it again. It is actually the bottle I regret most ordering online. It is not a fragrance, it is scented water, which quite annoys me, and of very poor quality. Sometimes I do feel like throwing it into the bin, and maybe I will. Pierre Cardin fragrances used to be quite nice many years ago, but not anylonger. These days they are not even up to supermarket standards, regrettably.

bcoops
bcoops

I never thought time travel was real until I smelled this after 25 years.I was transported in the blink of an eye to when I was in my teens going out with the boys and harasing the ladies....o wait that still hasnt changed ;)

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I wore this so long ago. Nothing special. It has a dated scent compared to todays fresher and more refined scents.

Never missed it or bought a bottle. The one I had was a gift. Wear what ever you like. My tastes have grown and improved.

SnowStorm
SnowStorm

I just got this one for $5 at a local discount center. I wish I could get my money back. I don't dislike the fragrance - it is just not for me.

Edit Update: Alright, I'm giving this one a try. It isn't bad, but it may take a while to get used too. Casual Friday - look out here comes the Pierre Cardin. (queue 70's disco music)

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

WOW! I remembered this one. It was given to my dad on several occasions. He wore this one to work, just because it was there, leaving the more expensive frags to go out or for meetings and such. The smell was very manly, spicy and earthy. I loved it...back then this had a very lasting smell.

calyx93
calyx93

Forget the American versions from Aladdin and Tsumura and go for the original one made in France - from Pierre Cardin Parfums. It is the REAL one and the one that smells just as I remember it from the 70's.

I grew up in the 70's when men got British Sterling, Jovan Musk Oil, English Leather, Pierre Cardin PM and weird Avon colonges (in bottles disguised as bookends and pistols) as gifts. Of that lot, Pierre Cardin PM and Jovan Musk Oil are the ones that stood out as the best and sexiest in my memory. Both have undergone severe changes and cheapening, but when they were new, they were amazing.

Just recently, I found and purchased two bottles of this great scent (the EDT, made in France, of course - in the green box) and it is EXACTLY as I remember, unlike the huge 8 ounces of swill I bought from an American discount shop. Lavender, spices, amber, sandalwood, musk, oakmoss - all of them present and in good form. This stuff is unabashedly masculine and if applied in quantity, can make chests sprout thick, curly hair, gold chains and a lush mustache to appear on the upper lip. Very sexy in an old Playgirl sort of way.

If you wear it and close your eyes, you can almost feel the scratchy double-knit polyester shirt and hear the disco beat percolating in the background :)

Grottola
Grottola

Holy 70's, Batman!

One of the best cheap offerings out there - Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur has been rockin' for a while and still smells pretty good. A unique but instantly recognizable scent that is very similar to Jovan Sex Appeal. Both scents are of a bright, slightly powdery, woody-oriental smell with a "retro" flair to it. It's not urinous or stinky, but you can definitely tell it's seen a lot of the world and has many years under its belt. Despite being an Eau de Cologne, it lasts for a good 6 hours or more, but the sillage is never obtrusive. Check out that bottle, too!

I don't wear it, but for the price, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is funky and fun as can be.

ION
ION

If you need a great, safe and elegant perfume that doesn't cost, this is it!
It is so good, I'd advise you to even get it as a blind buy.
It smells like a gentleman should (the Givenchy way not the Chanel way) but let me tell you that I used to wear it in my 20's, and I didn't feel "funny" at all!
Behind its serious character I guess, lies a young spirit.
For the ingredients e.t.c. read other reviews, it's been a while since I emptied the last bottle.
"Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur", is one of those pleasant surprises in life which come while you least expect them. I bought it out of curiosity and was instantly surprised by how well balanced and expensive it smelled!
Another Pierre Cardin product that respects the customer's need for quality, good taste and logical price.
With this perfume you'll feel more important [not that you are not important enough ;)] and you'll be taken more seriously.

A question: The mind behind it?

krmarich

This was my first "adult" purchase at my local pharamacy! I felt grown up wearing it. It has a French accent-probably all of the sandalwood and oakmoss accord. I wore it on a flight to Paris and felt so important among my French club.

By todays standards, this is rather old fashioned and stuffy. Then again todays standards prefer watery sugary rubbish! I wonder if there will ever be a revival of the original classics? Nah! If it happened, I am sure PC would be the frontrunner! Could I wear it today? Good question...

missan

Found two old bottles "Made in France". This is very lovely stuff. Very strong and spicey. A really elegant cologne for a gentleman.

Francop
Francop

Another unexpected great scent that I have found after reading reviews on here...

Thanks very much to all the basenoters that have contributed to my discovery...!!!

This scent is perfect for everyday use whether at work or at play, day or night; it contains all the ingredients required to make you feel masculine, fresh, confident and ready to face the day...anyday...

The top notes are superb and uplifting, the heart notes carry you away for the following 2 hours and the base notes keep you comfortably wrapped up for the following 4 hours...wish the scent had greater staying power, but for the price...it is better that you re-apply as required...

I find similarities with Great Jones by Bond no 9 in that both scents are citrusy, green, masculine and very classy...

I encorauge my fellow boys and girls in their 40`s to give this a try...

Big thumbs up...!!!

As NicoleET88 said, it's a bit rough at first (a "rubbery" thing going on), then really settles down to a nice blend. It's got a creamy quality, but not so much that it loses dynamism, which happens with the new version of Bijan for Men (1981), IMO (made by 5 Star Fragrances). I have the Tsumura EdC version, and I've read that many feel that the later formulations are significantly weaker. It's got a bit of what I call the "maple syrup accord" that I detect in some other fragrances, including Bois du Portugal, but here everything is done in just the right proportions, which is why I enjoy it more than other, mostly much more expensive fragrances that are similar.

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

My father's been using this since the 70's. I asked him about it and he encouraged me to try some. He told me it smells strong when you first put it on but it mellows out nicely.
From the bottle, it smells strongly of citrus and basil. I put a little dab on my hand and picked up vanilla and tonka bean as well. I couldn't identify the woods, but they stood out. An hour later, it's the most delicious mix of sandalwood, leather, and creamy vanilla.

skitten
skitten

This is an excellent fragrance for men. Not overpowering, where the taste buds are effected, but balanced so as the nose is just tantilized and aroused with sweetness, tangy citrus and fresh, but warmingly sensations. Something about this scent I love....... can't quite explain it, but it is really good......x

RobbieX
RobbieX

Very spicy and powerful, with a leather drydown. A very masculine frag that is so likeable. You can get this quite cheaply in bargain stores. I agree with fqjcior's review here - he sums it up well

andrevarx
andrevarx

A very simple cologne, and so beautiful. It smells manly and suitable for all ages. Woody tones very noticeable, with a tendency to use preferably with friends meetings, not very romantic. Preferably not used in excess, it is very powerful. Used mainly in cold seasons.

guest_Naqoyqatsee
guest_Naqoyqatsee

I like it, well the very initial citrus blast is not really my "cup of tea" - anyway the drydown is very pleasant. This cologne is quite similar to Jovan Sex Appeal, which I like even more, because of subtle leathery hint it contains (or maybe it´s the result of mixing with my own skin)

Venom
Venom

Strong and over powering, old and just stale at this point. It may have been the thing at one point but it doesn't pass current standards in my book. If your about 50 or so then slap it on and smile but anything below that is kind of giving a false sense of being grandpa. Unfortunately too many people have has this as a first cologne when it should be one of your last colognes.

instantjim
instantjim

This is the first fragrance I ever owned, when I was about 15. I recently bought a bottle cheaply and am pleased that I did. Firstly let me say, I cannot believe that this has no musk. To me this is very musky with citrus, herbs and patchouli. After about 1 minute the patchouli really becomes evident.Perhaps the vanilla in combination with the other ingredients is tricking my nose! This is a very classy fragrance and even though I only got an EDC strength (I have never seen and EDT)it is quite strong. It was well worth the small amount I paid for it.

LastingNote
LastingNote

nothing so excited about this. I have it for last one year and never get prefernce. It's quite masculine though with it's strong notes. Does not last long hot days.More of a deodorant matarial.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a gorgeous scent!!!!! My first husband used to ware this and it floods back the memories when I smell it. My ex- husband was so stupid that he wore Aldofo for women when it first came out thinking it was a mans cologne! WHAT A MAROON! My first husband was soooooooo VAIN! Im happy to not be with him anymore because vain is ugly!

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

This WAS the fragrence of the mid-to-late 70's in my Hollywood (you had to have been there). Sexy and classy it was! It was for the night! I wore it, my ladies wore it. It conveyed SEX (pre-AIDS and herpes). Difficult to express the memories the scent conjures up without revealing secrets best kept for the book! From the top notes to the base notes it has all my favorites but now... Interestingly, it has become one of the least expensive mens fragrence on the market. The PC name got licensed to death and this suffered from the hang over it brought. Hard to wear it now with out feeling like you are on tour at a re-union concert by a artist that should not have come back!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Tsumura formula:

I always get a lot of citrus, light and pleasant, from PC pour monsieur. Strong essences of lavender, orange, leather, and woods emanate from the composition, resulting in a lovely, elegant, and masculine scent. If you have a $15 budget for a daily cologne, this is not a bad way to go. It does not smell cheap, it's hard to pin this as being dated, and it smells magnificent.

Aladdin Formula:

Markedly stronger than its original counterpart, this formula focuses more on woodsy notes and spices than on lavender and orange zest. The longevity is better, with a more dynamic sandalwood drydown, and honestly I don't see any degradation of quality here whatsoever. The lavender is conspicuously absent in the opening, but it gradually appears and strengthens as the scent dries down. My only point of contention is in a little trick accomplished by the original, sadly lacking here - add a few drops of water a few hours in, and orange zest reanimates into a wonderful ghost of this perfume's initial charm. If the Aladdin version could accomplish this feat (it doesn't), I would say it's perfect.

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

This woodsy scent is offset with top notes of lavender, orange and lemon. A bit fruity. A typical fragrance of the '70s and '80s. Mens colognes back then were robust and virile, very heavy on the musk.

fqjcior
fqjcior

Strong sweet citrus beginning with a hint of lavender. Then it goes trough spicy warm notes of carnation, sanadalwood and patchuli. It ends nice, very quiet with 100% of masculine notes of leather, amber, tonka bean, oakmoss The notes give no doubts - PC PM is an old-schoolish fragrance for men but...It works great nowadays in my opinion for someone who's older than 25. Besides this fragrance is an much cheaper version of CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR except it's not so reach and gentle. Try it out if you like such scents. I like it. It's OK but of course it's not mindblowing :-) Good for that price anyway.