Designers » R S » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

That Man Revlon for men

That Man Revlon for men
dislike

That Man is a masculine fragrance from Revlon, launched in 1958. The fragrance is named after the manner in which Elizabeth Arden referred to Charles Revson (as "that man”) . He decided to name his masculine scent that way.

Top notes: lemon, bergamot and petit grain. Heart: geranium, clove and cedar. Base: oak moss, tonka and musk.

Bergamot Lemon Petitgrain

Geranium Cloves Cedar

Oakmoss Tonka Bean Musk

That Man Fragrance Reviews

brian.fitzgerald
brian.fitzgerald

That Man (1958) Vintage Cologne

Charles Revson CEO & founder of Revlon, the most well known brand of American women's cosmetics, formulated this scent in 1958. The cologne spray bottle has been discontinued but can be bought through sellers on ebay. If you're a perfumista with a penchant for vintage colognes, this is as long lost vintage as they get. It is the only man's cologne that Revlon ever produced. When one thinks about the time frame for this cologne (late 50's early 60's) and the way it smells one is taken to the jet set scene of such figures as the Rat Pack - Sammy Davis Jr Dean Martin Frank Sinatra. They would have worn this cologne. It also makes me think of Don Draper from Mad Men. It's a cocktail lounge cologne, suit and tie, fedora, tuxedo, classy, masculine, classic. It makes me want to drink a nice cognac in a vintage 60's skinny tie and suit. A mature fatherly fragrance and outdated by today's standards but absolutely brilliant.

The opening is citrus notes courtesy of petit grain and a fresh lemon. The orange flavor is typical of most citrusy openings to men's colognes. It even matches up with the aftershave which also sells on ebay and which I also recommend as an addition to this cologne. The rest of the time the scent turns spicier and woodsier. Cloves are in the heart of the scent, earthy, but clean. The drier notes consist of musk and cedar wood with a dash of vanilla courtesy of tonka bean notes. This is more woodsy and not as musky to me in the final stages but it has detectable musk. It's quite linear and simple, not making a statement; although it is strong. This is a very well made old fashioned mature fragrance for the confident and casual man. Think Cary Grant. Dapper. Fashionable. Smart. A man about town type. Bachelor but with this cologne he's sure to catch a bride.

Superb

Soundtrack

Come Fly With Me Frank Sinatra

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Oh yeah my dad used to wear this. This was a cologne my mom loved on him. She said about this scent and I quote: "Smells like a handsome smart successful sexy Republican man every woman wants" LOL This is an old fashioned aftershave type of smell. At first it smells just like citric aftershave. There's a sharp lemon and some orange. That's what I remember smelling on my father when he hugged me and gave me a goodbye kiss before he was off to begin his day. As a cardiologist and MD, my doctor daddy had to smell good in an environment where everything was sterilized. This is not a very heavy scent so he never had a problem with being the "guy wearing too much cologne". This is definitely a citrus based scent and not a floral. There's a geranium note but it comes and goes and is hardly there. Toward the dry down there is a scent of spice/musk and moss. Also there's a touch of vanilla or Tonka bean. It smells very nice. If you're a male and like Old Spice or Canoe by Dana this kind of cologne is right up your alley. This is extremely hard to find and it might be discontinued. My dad hasn't worn it in years and asked me if I knew where I could get it. Alas like real men and real Republicans of the 50's this fragrance is a dying breed.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Smell Like A Man

This is another of my favorite men's fragrances. Every teacher, professor, football coach, and mom's male friends wore this. It was originally released in 1958 by Charles Revlon. The story goes that Elizabeth Arden, herself a fragrance & fashion entrepreneur, disliked him, A LOT. Revlon & Arden were in competition with each other and it must have resembled one of those Doris Day Rock Hudson battle of the sexes late 50's early 60's romantic comedies. Arden referred to Revlon as "That Man". So Revlon decided to launch a men's cologne called That Man. Did it sell? You bet your ass it sold. It sold through the 60's 70s and into the 80's when it was re-released and reformulated. This is a classic men's cologne with a deep foundation of woods. It smells very mature but sophisticated, sexy and very masculine. A woman cannot pull this off as it doesn't really give you any strong fruity or floral scents. Notes incldue lemon, bergamot and petit grain, geranium, clove and cedar oak moss, tonka and musk. Once the citrus opening dissipates you get a lot of wood. This is a flexible fragrance that can be worn in the day time or in the evening. I have smelled it on men before and have loved it. It's too bad it has been reduced to an inexpensive forgotten frag that just sits in some perfume warehouse. It needs to be among the fragrances of any man that just wants to smell like a real man. I hope to smell THAT MAN on more men in my lifetime. Go out and buy this guys! Smells great!

Riobard
Riobard

I remember smelling this I was like 12 or 13 but my God what a sexy,maturity kind of scent without the old vibe, have to get me a bottle now that I'm in my early 30s it's time for me to enjoy it rather then just watch it sit on what use to be my dad's desk.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Revlon That Man fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Revlon That Man, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify That Man by Revlon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of That Man by Revlon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.

beauty at ebay