Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Oud Robert Piguet for women and men
dislike

smoky
oud

Oud, a rare resin released by Aquilaria tree species, has a fragrance of such haunting beauty that it has inspired many legends and stories. Robert Piguet Parfums creates its own fairytale by weaving an opulent tapestry of oud and precious aromatics” — press release of the brand. Oud was launched in 2012. The nose behind this fragrance is Aurelien Guichard.

Saffron

Balsam Fir Styrax Myrrh

Agarwood (Oud) Patchouli Guaiac Wood

Oud Fragrance Reviews

DrPerfum
DrPerfum

Excellent parfum. Very strong and very long lasting, it has a fantastic smell. It's the best of three Oud scents from Robert Piguet

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

whoa, this is not what i expected! starts off with a metallic strong blast of scent that is kind of lemony and a bit animalic. i see the "urine" note people are speaking of, but it reads more ammonic to me, so reminiscent of the cat variety after it's sat around for awhile, but not the actual thing. it's zingy in the nostrils, that's for sure. i don't even know what to make of this scent. after a bit longer i get some greenery and a hint of patchouli? nowhere in here do i get oud yet. after the inital strength of the scent it calms a bit and i smell a traditionally masculine citrus and pine scent. i only really get 2 notes listed here plus some other stuff in there i just can't really place. overall it seems like lemony-greenery but maybe it's just my skin chemistry? as another person said, astringent seems a good word to describe this scent.

muzzbait
muzzbait

high, astringent, and does not smell unlike any urine not excreted by uninfected animals other than felines.

seriously, a scrubber. i don't know how this passed quality control.

Esseintes
Esseintes

A barbed-wire entanglement of aldehydes up front quickly gives away to a lumbering colossus of cypriol that projects for miles and lasts for eons. It's a nuclear cedar bomb, similar to A di P Colonia Oud, but with more strength and less charm.

militanttihintti
militanttihintti

Robert Piguet's Oud reminds me of the earthy smell of wooden outhouse, but the weirdest thing is that I like it! The scent triggers many happy childhood memories of the time spent at my relatives' summer cottage here in Finland. When I spray this I immediately visualize the old dusty posters on the outhouse's wall, spider webs and the litter made of dried peat and coniferous wood.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

L'ho sentito addosso a un signore per strada ed effettivamente ricordava l'odore di hascish,se non fai caso al nome "oud" è un profumo che può piacere.

adrian.meeks.35
adrian.meeks.35

It can pulled off just go easy on the trigger..it's definitely a winter scent for sure so trying to mix in another season to wear this in will definitely sour your taste of the fragrance...Has a unique edge on OUD to me kinda like when I smelled Leather OUD by Dior for the first time. You just can't reach for it to wear on a regular basis,it has to be the right occasion!

Guest_theperfumedveil
Guest_theperfumedveil

For spice lovers. The "sensation" of oud is created through strong woods and spices. I can't isolate the individual notes but there is an overall sense of forest smells and a refined vintage composition. Lasts and projects nicely and I can easily see this being a base for other perfumes. The fir and clove is prominent so I would not blind buy this unless you like those two notes.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Harsh, metallic, powerful opening of aldehydes, cloves and other spices, Iso E Super, something slightly sweet-resinous and an almost unperceivable note of synthetic oud (which basically smells like just being “created” by the juxtaposition of aldehydes and some chemical rubber-ish aromachemicals). The only “realistic” note I get is the fir balsam, which is quite powerful together with aldehydes and spices. I don’t get why they called it “Oud”, as it’s basically all about aldehydes, spices and fir balsam. After some hours (I mean 6 or 7) you get more clearly what remains of the note of synthetic oud – not that this is an added value, as it feels like: “where the hell have you been?”. Pungent, artificial, incredibly powerful (like many other new Piguet’s): a tacky, clumsy, annoying and remarkably unpleasant bomb of metallic-synthetic stuff which has not the slightest resemblance to oud – and more sadly, to Piguet’s old trademark quality. I’ll not beat a dead horse, but: horrible!

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

Ok, I have to say it ! Does absolutely every scents and fragrances HAS to smell a like One of a very limited and extremely commercial collection of Thierry Mugler !!!! This is Robert Piguet for cry out loud, Thierry Mugler probably kiss and worship Robert Piquet's rear !! Sorry all , just a small French hissy fit ! Arrrggg !!

jtd , fantastic review btw , I keep on trying to add one of those darn balloon , just does not want my thumb up ! Must be the hissy fits , lol !

Robmeister32
Robmeister32

This smells like Thierry Mugler's A-Men Pure Leather.

jtd
jtd

Long in the tooth. Flogging a dead horse. Stick a fork in it. Something wicked this way comes.

There are so many expressions hint at the sense of ennui/dread I feel at the thought of a new oud perfume. Niche designers are releasing two or three at a time (The Different Company, by Kilian, Francis Kurkdjian. Even Patricia de Nicolai!)  Designer and celebrity fragrances are scrambling late to the table. (Chanel Bleueoud, Madonna Truth, Dare or Oud, Dior J'Oud, Estée Lauder Youth D’Oud, Paris Hilton So Oud! So Hot!)  It would be revolting if it weren't so tired.

It was with particular angst that I saw one of my favorite perfumers, Aurélien Guichard (whom my autocorrect calls, “Brilliant Shark” when I dictate) had made the latest oud perfume. And for Robert Piguet, no less. Guichard captures the Persephone-syndrome afflicting contemporary perfumers better than most.  Part of the year trapped in Hades (Davidoff, Mugler) and half a year on free on earth (Robert Piguet.) From a company with a track record of enticing, suggestive one word titles (Bandit, Fracas, Visa, Futur) comes an uninspired monosyllabic title. Oud. Almost rhymes with turd. Expectations, low; hopes, nil.

Outcome? Surprising. Pleasantly so. To all the nichy perfumers trying to find the new compositional trampoline that will allow them to jump this shark, and for all the hacks who are simply pouring buckets of Oud Note ™ into their their stock of Flanker Base ™ come look close. Guichard did what he does best and treated oud like any other tool on his palette. That is to say, he executed classical perfumery.

I'm not sure I'll ever love Oud, as I don't particularly love oud, but christ, I appreciate this perfume.  By classical perfumery, I mean applying deliberate compositional techniques to oud in order to create a rich, perfume that demonstrates artistic principles such as proportionality, intent and aesthetics. This is what Bernard Chant did with patchouli in Aromatics Elixir and Germaine Cellier did with galbanum and isoquinilone in Bandit. What Jaques Guerlain did with vanilla.

I've read a number of reviewers who say that Oud contains next to no oud. However the fragrance was composed, Guichard enhances oud’s properties and plays to its strengths. The band-aid note isn't hidden, it's amplified and made sweaty with a heavy dose of myrrh. The odd facet I've smelled in oud wood itself, the chalky/resiny/prickly/parched quality isn't smoothed over, it’s developed. It becomes the principal characteristic of this perfume from the almost disagreeable top notes to the more settled bass notes.

Oud has a distinct, pronounced character, and fits in more with Piguet's relic perfumes than it does the new young dudes in the line like Mademoiselle Piguet and Petit Fracas, also by Guichard. There’s nothing diminutive in Oud. It has the forget-me-not quality of Baghari, but none of its charm.   Like Bandit and Fracas, it has a caged-animal quality that suggests a fragile safety. Despite an occasionally calm appearance, they aren’t tamed.  They're held captive.   It carries the same unsolvable mixed message as a person who comes on to you and then snubs you when you pursue the apparent invitation. I think Germain Cellier would have loved Guichard’s Oud.

Oud possesses another quality that often gets confused with age.  Vent Vert, Cabochard, Youth Dew.  Nahema, Poison, Lou Lou. Even Angel. These classical perfumes aren't successful due to their age. They succeed because of the deliberate approaches that technically proficient artists used to produce the new ideas that they express. They are remembered not for the fact that they are old, but because they are fucking beautiful. Oud and Guichard join the above-mentioned perfumes and perfumers in the tradition of using a formal approach to create a new idea.

(Small note.  More than most perfumes, one spray is sufficient.  Two, uncomfortable.  Three, traumatic.)

Something I left out of my review below is that this fragrance opens with masses of balsam fir which comes across very menthol and strong then the resins kick. I like this fragrance still not for me though.

Magic Ketchup
Magic Ketchup

I blind-bought this perfume and it was both a pleasant surprise and a disappointment, but let me explain.

One of my favourite perfumes is Byredo's M/Mink. A lot of people hate it, but there is also a big fan group out there. M/Mink is a very strong, animalistic (probably from honey), incensy perfume that smells of calligraphy ink. Robert Piguet's Oud smells ALMOST identical to M/Mink. But the difference is that there is a little bit of oud (for obvious reason) and no honey in it. So if you like M/Mink and oud, but haven't bought M/Mink, Robert Piguet's Oud is a great and less expensive alternative.

If you have never smelled M/Mink, and expect RP's Oud to smell similar to, say, Tom Ford's oud perfumes, then you will be in a little surprise. It's quite different from the typical oud perfumes out there. Don't blind-buy RP's Oud.

deadidol
deadidol

A chocolate-y "oud" with anachronistic ‘80s aesthetics attached to it. It’s quite complex and layered, and the layers themselves are crystal clear, but it’s a highly unflattering sequence of notes.

Fir balsam tends to do me in, and this one’s no exception—a bad ‘80s creeper aromatic emerges, complete with mustaches and medallions, lingering more prominently than it probably should. This isn’t helped in any way by the presence of synthetic iononic notes that I guess are supposed to be saffron (it's a poor sketch of saffron, really). The oud is barely present, but what's there clashes with a patchouli that reads prominently as minty chocolate. This is all undergirded by a salty bacon-like guiaic note.

The good new is that all of these notes (aside from the oud) are vividly presented and lucid; the bad news is that all of these notes (aside from the oud) are vividly presented and lucid. This is a deeply unpleasant combination of uncomplimentary notes which, when brought together, add a totalizing layer of discordant vulgarity. There’s nothing here to redeem this—it’s simultaneously dated and putrid. If you’re looking for an oud fragrance that has almost no oud, but instead combines coniferous, pungently aromatic Febreeze-style chemicals with minty chocolate and bacon, then this is the scent for you. Extraordinarily ugly, bordering on offensive.

Again the name is very deceptive here...not a Oud centric fragrance at all but hey I think you've got to look past a simplistic name like simply 'Oud' as a creation with a base in Oud. (I'm sure it's in there somewhere?)
I love saffron, styrax and Myrrh and was hoping this would deliver something special and it kinda does? I truly haven't made my mind up on this yet.
I hate to label things with a sex but I'm going to anyway haha! Something about this leans slightly more toward the feminine as I felt with Casbah.
I know, I know it's strange but that's the impression I got.
This being said It's not too feminine to dismiss me wearing it and that is the usual gauge I use to determine how much I like it.
The fir and saffron in top of this fragrance make for a bewildering opening that soon subsides to reveal an almost rusty, very dry resinous vibe. Although I quipped about the oud at the top of this review it is present but lends a harder quality possibly from the combo with guaiac wood.
This is a strange one for me didn't hit me as instantly as Bois noir as a keeper but definitely worth another sniff especially if like me, you love Myrrh.

Scentica2009
Scentica2009

I went out to buy a fragrance that is beautiful, deep, bold simple and long lasting. This sums it all up. Only a hint of Oud but nonetheless, this is so nice. Very pronounced and powerful opening with oriental spices and woody smokey undertones. Apply with caution as a little goes a long way. After dry down it leaves a simple lovely woody deep base with a lingering hint of blackcurrent and myrrh and a fresh saffron finish to balance things out. Also a hint of chocolate. Out of all the frags I own, this one has the best longevity by far and most of the ingredients are still profound 10+hrs. Well worth the £150 if you want to make a stance, confidently perform your duty and for everybody to remember "that scent".

cmagot
cmagot

I would not call this oud, as somebody already mentioned it is rather resinous and balsamic than oudy. Well, the name apart, I really like the scent, sensual and comforting in the same time. Not a new Fracas or something, but easily appreciateable.

aphexacid
aphexacid

This is just terrible. I'm sorry, i don't normally just come out and say that right from the get go, but i don't know what this house was thinking.

First off i smell very very little oud.

Its 90% myrrh, something ever so slightly floral, and a bit of earthiness.

There is nothing pleasant, nor anything about this that would make you say, YES i want to smell like this.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I would say this is more myrrh than oud. Which may be good, if like myself you enjoy myrrh, but may not be so good if you like oud. So to sum it up sweet, tangy myrrh underscored by spicy saffron and a little hint of smokey oud.

judyk
judyk

This one doesn't do it for me, sadly. Initially I get a prominent celery-cucumber hybrid note - quite unpleasant. After a while a nice sweetness develops and the veg note lessens, but it's still lurking in the background. Away from the skin the projection is agreeable but it reads entirely masculine, not unisex, to me.

I don't hate RP Oud, but I wouldn't wear it. For reference, it reminds me a bit of Ferrari Essence Oud (which I really don't like).

jasonx
jasonx

Watered down version of Black Aoud with a very bitter and off putting dry down which is similar to the oud from Dior Privée

Nothing new, nothing special

maksimum warp
maksimum warp

there is a mystical scent. A great fragrance.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

Very special and interesting fragrance. It opened with a very intensive heady Saffron note unlike many others with Rose and/or incense. After the top note had settled a bit, the bitterness of Myrrh together with the slightly sweeter incense note from Styrax started to join in. Shortly after, in the background, the scent of Balsam Fir became more noticeable together with hints of Oud here and there. New notes such as Patchouli and smoky Guaiac Wood became more and more noticeable as the fragrance starting to really settle. Once everything had settled, on my skin it took a few hours, the scent became more rounded and the Myrrh/Oud notes became the foreground and stayed strong for a very long time although all the other notes were still there. The Myrrh and Oud blended together so well that they complemented each other to make it a less common straight forward Oud fragrance. On my cooler than average skin, OUD had moderate sillage although it could be quite heavy on many who had average body temperature. This fragrance lasted forever on my skin (and my brain) even after several washes.

nghiadu
nghiadu

DEEP WET OUD! monster longevity! Well blended

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

An interesting bitter woods opening, with a strong smoky note that quickly takes center stage A brief green note, translating into a slightly bitter undertone, while the smoky woods continues its development and dry-down. Fairly linear from then on. Longevity is excellent, and when applied with a delicate hand, sillage is quite acceptable. This seems to me a more masculine fragrance, but it can certainly be worn by women as well.

calyx93
calyx93

Looks like another Harrods exclusive scent - and of course they won't sell it to overseas customers. How rude of both companies.

(UPDATE) - Well, I'll take that back. Might have debuted there, but I see it's now available at Neiman Marcus.

leel
leel

باعتقادي سيكون عطر رائع

magic gingerbread
magic gingerbread

I'm sure it will be interesting for someone, that's the advantage of having bigger choice - everyone can easily find something interesting for themselves.

Maybe there are too many rose-dominated oud frags, but there is certainly not too many oud frags with incense, resins, woods and spices in one bottle. Every single one of those is worth waiting for.

Sultan
Sultan

I hope it's gonna be something interesting. otherwise there are too many of oud were presented recently.