Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Romeo Gigli Uomo Romeo Gigli for men

Romeo Gigli Uomo Romeo Gigli for men
dislike

Romeo Gigli Uomo by Romeo Gigli is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for men. Romeo Gigli Uomo was launched in 1991. Top notes are aldehydes, plum, lavender, mandarin orange, tarragon, grapefruit, bergamot, lemon tree and brazilian rosewood; middle notes are honey, carnation, ginger, cinnamon, balsam fir, jasmine and rose; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, vanilla, oakmoss, cedar and styrax.

Aldehydes Plum Lavender Mandarin Orange Tarragon Grapefruit Bergamot Lemon Tree Brazilian Rosewood

Honey Carnation Ginger Cinnamon Balsam Fir Jasmine Rose

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Benzoin Vanilla Oakmoss Cedar Styrax

Shanaan

Romeo Gigli Uomo Fragrance Reviews

This was one of my first fragrances that I wore at a very young age before entering college in the 90's. I recall that it was a sophisticated oriental spicy fragrance with a longevity that would dissipate over a couple of hours and offer subtle base notes of lavender soap, cream and powder. I find it seductive and enjoyed the compliments at the time. I eventually forgot about Romeo Gigli's name, but I could picture the simple elegant bottle clearly in my mind. This wonderful website helped me find it and I bought a bottle off Ebay immediately. Two decades later, I sprayed it on and it punched my nostrils with a boxing glove, but it settled down to the enjoyable scent that I enjoyed before. It isn't a fragrance that I wear daily, but for someone seeking a classy oriental musk I recommend wearing it during a winter evening over a fine scotch. I don't think of paintings by Dali, although I love reading reviews about the spaces, memories and art that fragrances evoke in people. It conjurs a bouquet of scents that could linger in a candle lit cafe or bar in Morocco during sunset. I imagine Eugene Delacroix sipping chai tea drawing arabesque lines in his sketch pad with ink while people nearby are smoking sweet pipe tobacco in the distance.

iamtalal
iamtalal

I own over 100 bottles of colognes and this was one that I was missing for a long time. Finally got my hands two bottles thru a manager at one of the outlets. I don't think they knew the worth of it. I ended up paying $100 for two 100ml bottles and it's been over three years and I still one full and one half bottle. Personally it is one of my top ten in all time men's colognes.

1949
1949

I'm in agreement with so many of the reviews here. Loved this for a time in the early 90's and just moved on to others. I'll be watching for a bottle now to rekindle those good times!

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

When Romeo Gigli Uomo first was launched in 91'...I never forget how much I enjoyed the sweet/powdery/woodsy vib from musk, patucchli sandalwood and a definite blast of Brazilian rosewood and aldehydes. After setting a HUGE robust aroma of amber and benzion gives this juice a warm spicy blend. The floral note of jasmine adds to the sweetness without it being cloying.
Longevity and Silage is very high lasting well over 8hrs...I'm able to pick up the aroma at least 2ft away.
Final thoughts,
I have stated that some of best-known fragrance were created from 1980-1993. Out of the few men's frag's that were created by RGU...hands down this juice takes full points. After 30yrs I found a 100ml bottle with a faded purple box at a boutique tucked behind more current fragrance's. The owner had almost taken it to his warehouse because no one was willing to try it. What a shame that this amazing GEM is lost in this brand name recognitions today. I almost gave up trying to find the genuine fragrance, there's several bottles with a green-yellowish liquid. The original version has a vivid green color.
If you are open to something that has a real woodsy-spicy-oriental aroma with a pronounced sweet/powdery top note...try this juice and you might consider it if you enjoy it. I'm not giving up my 2nd bottle. This frag is excellent during the early spring and into the very late summer through fall. Recommended when you want to turn on your partner or intimate friend. This fragrance will curl your partner's toes...enjoy ☺ 9.5/10

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

I love everything about Romeo Gigli per Uomo.
The box is simple, stylish and understated, the bottle is a work of art, and the juice itself is a masterpiece - exquisitely masculine in a very Italian way.
For some reason, when I first savoured this heavenly fragrance, it took me back to Saint Tropez many years ago, and brought to mind an extremely good-looking young Italian model with a dark tan wearing the kind of swimming costume that only an Italian man could wear without his masculinity being questioned.
Not that this is in any way exclusively for Italian male supermodels, it's just that that is the association this fragrance evokes for me.
The opening is quite strong, rich, spicy, a bit green, with a woody dimension and as it develops I'm positive that I detect the presence of an animalic note - specifically civet, (à la Furyo, although much more subtle and understated) although it might be an aspect of the musk, accompanied by a symphony of spices, herbs and woods which compliment one another so beautifully that it becomes a wonderfully harmonious tribute to masculinity.
Another reviewer likened it to a soohisticated Dalì painting and that description seems very apt - per Uomo is so multi-faceted that, like a Salavador Dalì masterpiece, there is a wealth of fine detail, depth and style that it seems to adapt itself perfectly to each individual who wears it - on my skin it becomes very woody, musky and almost animalic, yet on another guy I know it seems that green, spicy, almost herbal notes come to the fore.
Longevity is outstanding,sillage is moderate and subtle, it is wonderfully complex and unfailingly pleasant to others, and attracts lots of compliments.
Per Uomo is a masterpiece, stylish, timeless, masculine, and so multi-faceted that it adapts itself to each individual wearer beautifully.
Worthy of a standing ovation.
I absolutely LOVE this fragrance.

Bluefirefaerie
Bluefirefaerie

I smelled this for the first time today, and fell intensely in love with it. I think it works for either men or women. I ran up to my husband and told him "Smell MEEEE!!" Wonderful, seductively sweet fragrance.

I've managed to find 10 (I'm keeping two for myself) small .17 oz. bottles of this magic potion. If anyone would like to purchase one, let me know!

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

I love this fragrance. I bought it when it came out and I loved the distinct honey, patchouli, ginger and especially cinnamon notes to it. It has a slightly sweet Big Red chewing gum element to it, but its so different it adds to it's unique charm. Spicy, woody and slightly sweet is how I would describe it. Very very hard to find, but well worth tracking down if you can. Big thumbs up A+++. I really think this one deserves a relaunch, it would again be a big seller

Molko
Molko

To my nose this Romeo scent is fresh, old fashioned, real masculine stuff, smells like an after shave, very intense and strong, I think good for age 45 and up...I can smell also dusty cigarette in the background, like an older man who used after shave and smoking:D

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

This fragrance is an ultra-modern gem. I am so happy I received a bottle via a blind-swap (must say I highly respect and have confidence in the opinion of the beloved Basenoter I did the swap with... he said he loves it, I was quite sure I would have too). Romeo Gigli opens with one of the most pleasant, sophisticated, cozy and relaxed modern fougère accords ever. No sweat, no decadence, no hairy chests, no excessive gloominess: not a powerhouse for sure, even if it has the right amount of power and boldness. The initial accords make this scent stand quite on its own, there is lavender, aldehydes, balm, plum, vanilla, oak moss, cedar, citrus notes, resins, cloves, cardamom... an Oriental, aromatic, slightly fruity, floral-mossy-balmy blend. I know words fail a bit, but it is something I never smelled before. To try to give a rough idea, I feel a sort of "talcum" coziness, a dusty-transparent subtle metallic feel, something dusty, slightly powdery, balmy, soapy, mossy, the feeling of being just out of a relaxing bath in a cozy, not "luxury", just more cozy and understated hotel room, with a slightly cloudy weather outside, a garden below the window, but also a modern, artificial vibe, still aromatic, just more contemporary. Slightly shady too, I won't say dark, but melancholic perhaps. That may be the overall smell, that mixing of different suggestions, the realm is definitely contemporary and manly, just less predictable than in other scents. I get a feel of cleanliness, masculinity, silence, comfort, nostalgia. A heavily aromatic, romantic but self-confident scent. One of a kind for sure, it's masculine but in a bit more "feminine" and contemporary way, as it smells more delicate, more clean, more sophisticated than other "bolder" fougères. The drydown evolves then on a darker, bitter, woodier accord, basically only "losing" some floral notes and part of the initial talcum/balmy feel. Personally I am completely sold to this, as it's the perfect kind of scent I just love to wear, especially in the morning – I love masculine elegant scents with "something" nostalgic, dreamy, slightly feminine and understated. Darvant's review below quite nailed it giving reference to "solitude" and a general quiet, meditative feel... andit's not the "incense" type of meditation, there's no spiritualism and no mysticism, what I keep thinking of is just a man chilling in the afternoon, rolled-up sleeves, quietly looking out of his hotel room window, in some Italian town – say, Rome. Not a Sheraton hotel, more a still elegant, hidden, understated hotel with just a touch of mystery – if you've been there, think of the quartiere Coppedé, with its Art Nouveau mansions, the gardens, the general melancholic calm. A complete gem.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

3.5 from 5 - 92P from 100 - big red - Do you like Big Red Chewing gum? So you will like Romeo Gigli uomo. Strong cinnamon, pepper, sandal, some honey, a a lot of resinous balm. Excellent dry down. A stronger variation of Joop Nightflight. You really should look at it, if you like strong aromas.

Umiliani
Umiliani

This fragrance is 1989 not 1991.
The 1987-90 are the golden years of Romeo Gigli, he was at the top!
The fantastic bottle was designed by Jacques Helleu (for 40 years artistic director of Chanel).
The perfume is a wonderful Oriental/fougere with an elegant spicy-amber drydown. A very rare but a very special fragrance.
I don't recognize the box of the pic with the script: "the classic fragrance"... a new refurmulated version?
My original box from 90s haven't this..

pinochio
pinochio

I'm grateful to Fragrantica to have a website like this for nosey people. It has been proven by a psychologist that I know that our sense of smell after all is our first impression upon entering a room or meeting someone immediately after shaking their hand. My memory of this fragrance was haunting me. It was forming into a nightmare of a bearded man with a sharp curved sword riding on a camel following my cab in the streets of NYC in the early 90's. I thought it was catnip in a bottle as a result of women's compliments at the time. I could easily draw the bottle and describe every detail, but I could not identify the fragrance to save me. Due to its warm, spicy, oriental, frankincense, scent I kept visualizing a dark opaque green bottle with its distinct red round cap and its elegant wrapped wired collar design.

JasonB
JasonB

This was wonderful. Had a bottle in 1993.

Linden
Linden

Romeo Gigli opens with a blast of aldehydes and intense plum and rosewood, quickly followed by strong evergreens, sweetened with honey creating an interesting bitter-sweet contrast. Cinnamon quickly begins to dominate, and mixed with the balsamic notes, creates an exotic herbal-spicy sharpness throughout the warm musky, slightly powdery drydown. The scent is very interesting-masculine, but not typical; quite rich and heavy, with a bit of a resemblance to Cola, like that in G Gigli (F).

cinema1974

Purchased this for my father back in 1992 and women always walked by and said you smell amazing. I just seen it at a perfume shop that sells it and purchased it for my father. It smells wonderful...It has a patchouli,woody,spice scent to it... I would say more of a spicey scent that does not have a sour smell... some colonges on men smell too much but Romeo is more woody spice to me. Depends on the body chemisty how the notes will work...

missan
missan

I just bought 2 old bottles made by Proteo Profumi of Sud Est. Very nice, very herbal and quite spicey with some pine. Dynamic and natural smelling. Closest similar would be Paco Rabanne Sport, but that is more herbal and mossy,less piney.
Like it.

jaimex1979
jaimex1979

hi cinemoenti... i tried a sud est sample some 20 years ago... if i am not mistaken it was something dry and spicy... and i liked it...

cinemoenti
cinemoenti

✮✮✮✮
I haven't smelled this for decades, I did today and it didn't change a bit, it's still a classic, timeless and beautiful perfume.
Question: does anybody know the ROMEO GIGLI SUD EST MAN? That is offered on eBay and isn't listet here on FRAGRANTICA. I would like to know if it's worth buying it. Thank you for any hint.

oxm
oxm

Romeo Gigli for men is a fragrance very sweet, I remember years ago advertising was represented by an Indian holy man who had with him this beautiful bottle, but the interior was and still is something wonderful, to spray the first one is hit by a gentle creamy soap then after a few minutes, the road a generous heart of the most disparate scents, rose and jasmine of all, the fund has an agreement with sandalwood amber and wood prized, the impression that it has something Wild, I do not know if there are perfumes that are like Romeo Gigli, but at the time gave me an extraordinary impression, I hope that the production of this perfume continues, otherwise it would be a shame.
Celestial

murysusanto
murysusanto

If anyone owned a viktor&rolf antidote, then you owned one a history of this classic romeo gigli. Nowdays you wouldn't find it anywhere except old products probably expired already although unopened.

The green liquid reminds me of viktor&rolf and vetiver by guerlain.
But those two are a lot fresher and good sillage.

This is what I look for in a fragrance. There are quite a few notes, with quite a bit of contrast, yet they work so well together. Despite all these notes, there is no "blob" effect, and you can actually detect many if not most of them. It's natural smelling and pleasant, but not in any way overwhelming or harsh. One might call the drydown "subtle" or "understated." Longevity is excellent. The only reason not to wear this is if you are seeking a fragrance with a focus on a particular note or accord (or if you fear these "old" fragrances). This is definitely not too sweet, as some claim, and I really hate super-sweet ones (and usually don't like ones with moderate sweetness); this one is just right !

These notes are like everything I love the most put together in one fragrance!

minister smellgood
minister smellgood

this is some of that grown man stuff,i had it and when i was moving,my shelf fell off the wall and this bottle and about 7 others crashed to my demise. this isnt an every day cologne that you can just buy either

FUELedbyCHAOS
FUELedbyCHAOS

I wore the heck out of this in the day. I recently ordered a bottle of it online and was thrilled to find it just the way I remembered. Certainly not for every man as it is very warm and somewhat spicy in the drydown. The balsam, cedar and rosewood have very nice play with each other. If you are into the notes, you'll be happy you hunted it down. It does not smell dated, just unusual in the sea of clean nothing-ness out there now.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I bought the fragrance when it was brand new out in 1991. I was in Vienna then in a classical dance school, so it will always remind me of that fabulous time. It is an interesting spicy, oriental smell (similar in grouping as Insense by Givenchy) with elements of plum, cinnamon, vanilla, woods and some very refreshing green notes that are in the top and middle notes.
I have a very artistic association to the scent and the bottle implies that as well: think of a very sophisticated Salvatore Dali painting. I have never seen or used the scent since then. I cannot say it is one I have to have again but I have fond memories with it. Similar fragrances: Insense/ Givenchy, Prada/ Prada for men, Opium for men/ YSL, Egoiste/ Chanel

motavate
motavate

Romeo 'De Romeo Gigli' is a woman's fragrance - Uomo is for men... Gigli's packaging is plain cardboard type box and the samples I've seen came clipped on the same cardboard card.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

For years all I had were sample vials of Romeo Gigli Uomo. I couldn't find it anywhere in 2000 when I was given the samples. So I assumed it was discontinued. I finally found it in 2002 at a discount perfume shop. I bought a bottle without smelling it 'cause I loved the samples that much. I tried it a few times and it just didn't smell the same. The sample vials only said "Romeo Gigli" on them and I didn't notice the box having "Uomo" on it when I bought it. I wonder if he had another cologne?