Designers » R S » Citrus « Groups

dislike

conifer
sour
Royall Lyme Royall Lyme Bermuda for men Pictures

“Derived from an authentic island formula favored by colonial Victorian gentlemen. This delightfully crisp all-day refresher combines the oils of the plumpest West Indian Royall limes with 77 rare essential oils to produce a zestfully unobtrusive yet undeniably lime scent. A timeless, cooling essential for after shower or shave” — press release of the brand. Royall Lyme was launched in 1957.

Royall Lyme Fragrance Reviews

hyoid666
hyoid666

This is a nice, simple lemon/lime clean scent for men with a lot of alcohol giving it a nice aftershave feel. It’s simple, light and well balanced and doesn’t divert into a cleaning product chemical overload. It’s fitting for summer.

broodingwhale
broodingwhale

I was not able to enjoy the pre-Clarecastle group version of Royall Lyme, so I can only speak to the thing it has become.

Bottom line: it's not bad, but it's too expensive for what it is.

It's just sort of a two-dimensional "fresh" limeade fougere (think candied lime peel) with a lot of alcohol in the opening. I would really like to take this fragrance and blend it with juniper essence to make some kind of gin & tonic creation! Therein lies the problem: by itself, it doesn't have a lot of personality beyond the aftershave splash application.

Since I do not like alcohol aftershaves, this one has become "the cool green glass bottle" that decorates my toiletry cabinet. Disappointing, but understandable.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Royall Lyme

By Royall

Notes

Lime

Fresh lemon lime lemonade coolness in a bottle. This fragrance is an aroma of such deliciousness but only of course if you fancy citruses. It was a cologne worn by Hollywood actress Joan Crawford when she married the Coca Cola King. It's a man's cologne of after shave style citrus with dominant lemon lime. But on Crawford it would have smelled like lemon verbena or like a sweet little lemonade. It's really a unisex anyone can wear it if you can handle citrus type of perfume. It's not very complex but the longevity is terrific. It's an all day perfume. It's simple quite fresh and perfumy. It is not to be compared with any other lime or citrus based perfume. On me it's straight citrus with perhaps other nondescript citrus possibly neroli. It can pass for an older and more "grandmotherly" version of Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. It's possible Ford checked out the composition of this perfume and improved on it.

Beautiful lime, no flowers, no musk, a simple citrus to wear after a shower and with a clean suit or pant suit, suit-skirt. I can see why Mrs. Crawford would have worn this when she too headed up the Coca Cola franchise after her husband's death. She would have worn this to meetings with her staff. It's definitely a take charge no nonsense CEO fragrance. The boss smells of citrus and aftershave like she had just shaved her face, even if she was a woman and didn't need to. It's the scent of a woman making it in a male dominated world. You go girl.

As for guys it can smell like lime aftershave so if you're into that go for it. It's not bold nor going to make any statement. The guy I know that wears this is a Wall Street broker and really likes it and wears it all the time. I love it on him and he knows it. Not a sexy cologne, not a pheromone, just a cologne of the clean and sober variety.

Well done Royall. If you also like this one check out their Musk.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Professional flea shampoo smell. Exactly what some of my dogs smelled like when they came home from the groomer. This particular sample is from a new mini sample pack, so it's after the sale of the company, and obviously a reformulation. Not the lime I'm looking for.

Timeisart
Timeisart

I never knew this fragrance existed until a trip to Bermuda in 2003. I bought a bottle of it (which I still have!) and I adore it. So elegant and delicious smelling! It reminds me of Bermuda itself every time I put it on - I can hear the tree frogs singing, and smell the salt air passing through the cedars.

Kokomo
Kokomo

My relationship with Royall Lyme started many years ago during a visit to the Bahamas when my Dad gave my brothers and me a different bottle each of a Royall fragrance. He told me he selected the Royall Lyme for me because he knew I would appreciate it more than my brothers would. To this day, 32 years later, I still use it and love it. Well balanced, elegant, light. Can be worn in day or evening, year-round.

ColonialP
ColonialP

I have been on a Lime kick since discovering Jarritos Lime soda at Karoo Cafe this summer.

I agree Royal Lyme looks authentic and legit. I do remember when it smelled better. I honestly think it smells more synthetic now.
Because of that I started working on my own Lime Fragrance using natural Lime oils.
Early prototypes are on Etsy for feedback.

I think Lime will come back into popularity again like it was years ago.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

When I was a kid I remember lime scents for men smelled wonderful; they smelled like you had just sliced one open. This does not. It smells more like a gently limed soap, or even a bit like key lime pie. In other words, there's something getting in the way of the citric freshness. There's no slap.

Longevity is not good - on my skin it's gone in under an hour. (Not unlike the bottle of Royall Bay Rhum I once had.) And silage on me is non-existent.

So... no.

cytherian
cytherian

I have to say I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the major fiasco that Royall Lyme of Bermuda Ltd caused with their fragrance line. Somewhere along the line, perhaps about 10 years ago, they sold their fragrance formulas to interests in the USA (the Clarecastle Group).

Some of the fragrances they create now are not quite what they used to be. Just go on-line and read up on their fragrance reviews. This makes it a small wonder why the latest reviews here are so sour (no pun intended). What they experienced is the new "stuff", which is weaker by comparison.

I was gifted a bottle of Royall Lyme many years ago. I enjoyed it then and used it on occasion, but it eventually got tucked away in favor of other fragrances. I forgot about it, until recently when I found the bottle. How our tastes change over time. I found myself warming up to it a lot more than what I'd remembered. A refreshing blend of dry lime and pine scents and no... this is NOT Pine-sol.

I love this fragrance. There's a wonderfully soapy semi-sweet lime finish to it that soothes the skin, so it makes a great aftershave. Splashing a little on my neck before slipping into bed gives a nice lime essence that lulls me to sleep. I imagine being on a white sandy Caribbean beach under a moonlit night, the air blissfully warm, and the faint aroma of lime wafting in the air from nearby lime trees.. I find it so easy to draw such an association with the simple notes of Royall Lyme.

So I went to a local boutique that happened to have Royall Lyme available and I tested the newer scent. I noticed it was weaker, having too much alcohol. It appears that the makers who are licensing the formula have diluted it to reduce overhead and make more money per bottle. It's a real shame. This was a classic scent, something with slightly better longevity than a tried and true favorite like 4711. I wrote to the Clarecastle Group and let them know of my discovery (and was tactful in my content), hoping I might elicit some response or even an explanation. At first, nothing. But then finally, after a second e-mail I sent (lamenting the reformulation of another fragrance), they finally responded and rather nicely. The person I corresponded with attested that Bay Rhum and Spyce had changed "slightly" due to new restrictions but according to his references Lyme had not been reformulated. I tried to affirm my testimony that it was, but then the contact never got back to me. I do have their latest Muske which I thought was reformulated at first, but once the air macerated the ingredients over time it's pretty much the same as vintage.
8.8/10 for fragrance (vintage), 5.9 for longevity.

kenwylde
kenwylde

I like this as an aftershave/splash on a hot summer morning when the dew won't burn off because the air is already too heavy. It really does cool you off. It works pretty well if you layer it with an aquatic. But like the lady you picked up at the club last night, she's gone before lunch.

psadrieh
psadrieh

worst citrus scent ever!!! smells like lime left in worn shoes .After buying it it is now a bathroom air freshener in my office. cant believe anyone could ever wear this.For all you citrus scent lovers this is a old musky oldspice mixed with a touch of lime.

zola0203
zola0203

I agree it smells of limes, but not quite realistic enough for me. It is very nice but it's a bit perfumey/soapy along with the limes on my skin.
I was hoping for something sharper, but this will do as it is kinda nice.
Oh, and longevity IS an issue. Max 4 hours so far.

kambelz
kambelz

Pure lime. Smells great. Needs to last longer though. Wasn't actually expecting to find it on here because I bought it at a gift shop, but it actually turned out pretty good.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I think lime is always a good scent choice for men, and Royall Lyme is the best lime. It smells more expensive than it actually is, and lasts longer than many male colognes.
Too many men use those "sport clone" scents, which are BOOORING!!!!! If you want to smell clean and fresh, switch to a lime scent (prefably this one), as it's much sexier.
It is also a fun choice for women who want a fruity fragrance but don't want to smell like an overly sweet fruit salad all the time.
It's a super summer scent when you don't want to overwhelm people!

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

This is my favorite fragrance for men, perhaps because there's no harshness to it at all. I think it's good for all seasons, even winter -- reminds me of how people used to give each other citrus fruits for Christmas in the old days as a delicacy. I would have recommended this scent to my hubby, but it was my dad's favorite so it would be weird. A really nice cologne for men.

kambelzful
kambelzful

One of my favorites for the summer. I have smelled a lot of other niche lime scents. They are all good, but the simplicity of this I enjoy a lot. I love all lime scents, and this one is no exception. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day, or for a trip to the beach. I get a perfectly balanced tart and sweet lime note and that's it. Like your squirted the most perfect smelling and tasting lime on your skin. I do however, wish they would amp down the alcohol a little bit, because I get a very sharp alcohol opening. It does not last long, but what can you expect from an aftershave? For me, it does the job for school or to give me a quick lime fix, when I am craving it. Great scent, beautiful presentation in the bottle, but I'll deduct two points for the longevity. 8/10.

jht4060
jht4060

A simple fresh natural lime with great appeal and little longevity. It is heavenly in itself and it layers well with woody accords that lack much top note, giving an early sparkle and fading in the first hour or two and leaving the wood for the long term.

kalios55
kalios55

Royall Lyme

IMHO, it's the best transluscent sweet lime cologne EVER made. Sheer & limey. I do not detect any sour note. It leaves my skin smell lightly sweet, clean and scrumptious .. I find it difficult not to sniff myself wearing Royall Lyme.

Now please keep in mind that it's an all purpose lotion. Royall Lyme wears like an Eau de Cologne. It has low sillage and stays very close to the skin. Do not expect this to linger too long. During the 3-4 hours that it may last, your skin will smell SO FRESH like you have just stepped out of a shower!

Created in the '50s!!?? Don't be afraid!! You will find Royall Lyme to be as modern as any scents yet to be made within the next 10 years! It's truly timeless, ageless and genderless.

Update: I found an 8oz splash bottle for $30. I shall splash and re-splash to my heart's content!!

Update II: The new 8 oz bottle does not smell the same as the original mini sample collection I have. I am afraid the reformulation occurred :"(

♥﹏♥

killer_kitty
killer_kitty

My husbunny bought it in Bermuda -- love it on him. Makes me happy.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Cited by Joan Crawford as one of her favorites in her 1971 book "My Way of Life."

bobmarley2
bobmarley2

I was shopping at Brooks Brother and happened to come across this EDT on a tray.

I sprayed it on a paper and it smelled fantastic so I sprayed it on my wrist and I smelled fantastic so I bought a bottle.

Longevity is horrible but I really really love the crisp key lime scent of this cologne.

After doing some calculation and thinking, I came to a conclusion that this cologne is not worth the retail price.

If you can purchase this bottle at a discount around $20 for 100ml bottle (for my uncouth fellow Americans, 3.4oz), do so... otherwise, it's a waste of money.

I am not saying Royall Lyme is a a horrible cologne.

I am just saying Royall Lyme is what you get when you have accountants running a cologne company who will try to maximize the profit by diluting a winner of a cologne.

Buddhacowboy
Buddhacowboy

I totally disagree with karlovonamesti on his assessment of the 'bromidic interpretation' of Royall's interpretation of Lime, as he is more accurately describing the St. John's version of their Lime fragrance. Two reason for my observation of this. 1st., Royall Lyme's lime fragrance is much more sophisticated and 'natural' in its presentation than its closest competitor, St. John's, which has some very odd added chemical presence that skews their fragrance at the middle and somewhat at the base note levels. 2nd., this 'unnatural' chemicalization is especially evidenced by people with chemical sensitivities noting that while they have no 'chemical sensitivity reactions' to Royall Lyme lime, it is consistently noted to happen with St. John's lime fragrance. Hence my assessment that karlovonamesti's assessment has mistaken one well known lime fragrance for another. Moving on.

I have used numerous lime-based fragrances over 40 years and aside from Shulton Old Spice Lime and MEM English Leather Lime (both of which are long ago not available, except for vintage stock occasionally sold on eBay) that I so loved for their unique complexities, Royall Lyme has been a lime-based fragrance staple in my large cache of aftershaves, colognes both domestic USA and foreign. It is presently the most limish fragrance for me, is not alchololish on the top note, does not overly sting and dries nicely on the skin, and has a mild sillage that never overwhelms and doesn't reach much beyond a couple feet.

As for scent sustainability, it possess a unique quality of the initial application having limited scent sustainability, but when reapplied, say an hour or so later, that reapplication has the effect of boosting the scent sustainability and the scent's middle and base notes are quite sustaining, even noted when awakening the next morning. So, a person can decide if they want a short term scent effect or an all day scent effect. It's something I find in a few other fragrances I own, but not many. As I said, it's real winner of a lime-based fragrance with many quality points, and best of all, though its MSRP is much much higher in the boutique shops, if one shops smartly, it can consistently be purchased for as low as $30 for an 8 oz size!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm not amused by Royall Lyme's bromidic interpretation of that singular note. There's a brief burst of limey freshness, immersed in alcohol vapors. Then it's gone. There's nothing wrong with it, but I've smelled better, and when it comes to limes, it pays to be progressive with the formula.

Edit: It should be noted that the lime fragrance I wore was indeed and most definitely Royall Lyme of Bermuda. Hard to mistake that beautiful little bottle. However, the bottle had been left out in the open sunlight for god knows how long - I will need to re-test in the future for a more solid opinion. At this time I still vastly prefer Floris Limes, which is a much fuller scent to my nose.

Grottola
Grottola

Probably the best lime soliflore on Earth, Royall Lyme is straight-up refreshing, slightly sweet limes. If you wear it in the summer on a hot summer day, the humidity and sunlight will make it stronger. I can get up to 4 or 5 hours out of Royall Lyme if applied liberally and at the right time.

Simply put, the most heavenly smell in the world.

my hunny actually used this as an after shave until it was gone. i loved the scent on him. haven't seen it in awhile. what a lovely subtle lime scent that it dries down to.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Royall Lyme Bermuda Royall Lyme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Royall Lyme Bermuda Royall Lyme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme Bermuda. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme Bermuda represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.