Designers » R S » Oriental « Groups

Black Magic Sebastiane for women and men

Black Magic Sebastiane for women and men
dislike

Black Magic Sebastiane for women and men Pictures Black Magic Sebastiane for women and men Pictures Black Magic Sebastiane for women and men Pictures

Black Magic by Sebastiane is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Black Magic was launched in 2014. The nose behind this fragrance is Robert Elder. Top notes are tonka bean, vanilla and amber; middle notes are jasmine, rose, blackberry and frangipani; base notes are patchouli, leather, grass and vetiver.

Tonka Bean Vanilla Amber

Jasmine Rose Blackberry Frangipani

Patchouli Leather Grass Vetiver

Black Magic Fragrance Reviews

LLB_addict
LLB_addict

I agree with Black Russian. I do not know where the others have gotten their bottles from, but it was NOT from Sebastiane.... This fragrance is a beautiful, wondrous fragrance that blends such fresh, natural notes with lovely fluffy notes blended into perfection. After obtaining decants from the house itself, I had to have a bottle of this immediately! Please try to at least sample this one.

UPDATE: After having fallen completely in LOVE with this fragrance, I had to update my initial review. I am not sure if it was "October" temps that I made me think this was "fluffy"....but since I have been wearing this so much in December now there is nothing fluffy about it. It rich, rich, RICH and deep. I truly believe this to be my new favorite winter fragrance. I have so many that I try to use them at least once during the season. I have now worn this one 3 times in one month. I cannot stop reaching for it. There WILL be a back-up bottle coming to me very soon. I don't think I could live without it!

Black Russian
Black Russian

Honestly, I think people who rating it as soft sillage or short lasting had either bad batch or fake product. I had to trade mine because its sillage was stronger than Amouage Interlude, and for the first 2-3 hours been choking anyone around me. Plus for the first 2 hours it was too feminine for my taste.
When it comes to longevity, it was as beasty as its sillage and projection. 2 sprays on the paper (I had no idea how strong it would be, so I did 2 sprays as I normally do for niche perfumes tests) were lasting whole week, while projecting over 3ft for more than 48 hours! On my skin it projected well (or too well!) for about 12 hours, had another 4 hours of 1 ft projection, and remained as skin scent even after I took shower.
I must say I used it only in late Fall and Winter, so maybe heat and high humidity have substantial impact on its performance, but still couldn't be enough to explain such huge difference in longevity and sillage evaluation.

Blowfishes
Blowfishes

A wonderful smooth aroma that lasts and lasts for me.

Not seen this in other reviews but on first application, I pictured stewed pears. It's sweet with a slight bitter/acrid note similar to a pear not quite ripe. I guess this is the green/fruity element introducing itself.

There is certainly a vintage feel to the whole composition, and this is further enhanced by the superb oily nature of the juice itself. The latter being something to be careful with if spraying on or close to white clothing.

On initial application I would say this fragrance leans towards the feminine side, but it's certainly something I feel more than comfortable wearing. The vintage feel must be from the animalic elements. Although they overall smell differently, my mind is drawn to a comparison with Panthère de Cartier parfum.

As the scent settles, you are enveloped in a comforting warm incense type haze, with the vanilla and tonka bean adding a smoothness that has to be experienced to be understood. It's here that the fragrance has transformed into a more masculine scent - but certainly one that could easily be carried off by most women.

In summary, this is an incredibly well constructed fragrance, and one that I am delighted to add to my rotation. Due to the initial stewed pear notes, this won't be one I will reach for for daily use, but it is one I could see myself using for going out for dinner with friends and then going out out for dancing afterwards.

Smell: 8/10
Projection: 7/10
Gender: Starts feminine but then masculine
Season: All year
Occasion: Evening dinner with friends

Note: I cannot understand how people have rated this fragrance as having poor longevity and performance! At 15:00 I sprayed this once on my chest before putting on a polo shirt and a small squirt on my wrist and then rubbed together. I have gone out for dinner, driven home and washed up and must say that the spray to my chest is still going strong. My wrists have been in and out of the hot water in the sink several times and yet still holds a soft memory of the fragrance. It is now 21:30 and I am still in a comfy haze of this fragrance. My partner isn't keen on incense and found this fragrance way too strong earlier in the day. Now she is allowing me within six feet of her, but still claims she can easily smell this fragrance on me.

topdogrwd
topdogrwd

This fragrance has a top note at a possibly 40 ratio of Tonka beans, vanilla, amber. That itself tells the story .. The fragrance is way too much Tonka heavy giving that bittery undertone.

Its not everyones cup of tea for sure

Tam
Tam

got this in a freebie sample and splashed it on liberally knowing nothing about the fragrance or the designer. Then I went out on the bus. Two seats behind me woman says to her boyfriend "have you been burning that bloody incense again? I can really smell the stuff" then a nag ensued along the lines of 'you promised you'd stop doing that, doing this etc, etc..." I quietly shifted my butt to bottom deck as I knew I was the culprit - or rather my Black Magic was. On me, this smells of a hippy shop in an entirely lovely way. sweet incense is top followed by fruit, patchouli and musk. Plus a load of other stuff thrown in when all shook up together means it works. However, I'll have to be in the right kind of mood to wear it. I would personally reckon this is more in the masculine camp. But I'd wear it and I'm a 48 year old woman.

SchopenhauersNose
SchopenhauersNose

The notes in Black Magic include on the top: tonka bean, vanilla, and amber; jasmine, rose, blackberry, and frangipani in the middle; and a base of patchouli, leather, grass, and vetiver. I would classify this as a floriental.

Please excuse my possible ineptitude that will come across in this review. When it comes to floral notes, I’m still pretty wet behind the ears. I’m slowly learning to differentiate different flowers out of a floral bouquet. When you never wear fragrances with, say, frangipani or violet, you’re not forced to reckon with them in an olfactory way. But Robert’s collection, being in some respects so floral-forward, forces the reviewer’s palette to broaden. So bear with me.

Beware: Black Magic can turn unsuspecting fragrance lovers with previous aversions to florals into unrepentant floral lovers. Despite grass being listed as a base note, I get it right off the top. It really buoys the floral triad of jasmine, rose, and the especially noticeable sweet, lush frangipani. The darker notes only appear in the very base of the fragrance; as it dies on the skin, you finally get the softest whispers of vetiver and leather. But for me, this is a big, lush, unashamed floral.

I know that screams “femme” to most who will encounter this review. But this has to be one of the most unisex feminine scents I’ve experienced. I admit, I never really thought of myself as a floral note lover. But Robert says that this one of the most popular scents in his line – and I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if a lot of that popularity is due to it being worn by adventurous men who were just as enamored with it as I was.

Longevity and sillage. Oh my good gracious. If you saw how this stuff looks on the skin, you wouldn’t even have to ask. When you spray it on, it leaves a thick, oily film (a tell-tale sign of a much higher-than-average pure oil concentration). Robert won’t divulge his trade secrets, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his hovered around a parfum concentration. After eight hours, I stopped counting how long I could smell it on my skin because I’m simply not used to anything lasting longer than that on my super-dry, fragrance eating skin. Projection? A solid 2-3 hours, and with a scent halo of several feet. You won’t have any issues being noticed.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

18 people say that this does not last more than an hour. Really? Sillage is very heavy on my skin as after 6 hours. I do like it but would prefer it on a woman. All I get is florals with a pinch of berry. I guess this can be labeled as a fruitcholi since patch is listed but I can't detect it. The top and base notes are non existent for the most part. I am unfamiliar with the frangipani note but after reading the description of it, Black Magic is mainly that note.

henri345que
henri345que

There is something on the overall concept of Black Magic that seems to me like eighties fragrance done very well. At first, the concept - a magic fragrance, a dark enchantment, a presence that fills the air and concquers you. Very sexy, strong, much like the fragrances done on this era. And then, the overall aroma has that mixture of flowers, honey and berry that seems much like a good eighties fragrance.

Still, i think that Black Magic seems very modern and less invasive. The berries are tart, but also sugared too. Altough the concept is around the black ones, i smell a mixture of aromas that also remind me of red ones too, which seems less tart and more sweet maybe. I like how the berries seems to mix with a kind of mixture of honey, rose licqueur and a very good white floral accord that avoids the plastic touch that some of the 80's creations have.

The base is also less heavy and dated and instead of focusing on mossy aromas and patchouli it offers and velvet leather with a hint of darkness, but infused in vanilla and tonka. Both give a creamy and sweet touch, which doesn't make it sugary or too sweet. There is also a hint of woody incense that seems to complete the intriguing and complex aura of this black potion.

For some reason, while wearing this fragrance the Jay Hawkins come to my mind "I Put a Spell on You, and Now you are mine". It seems to be what happens if you like Black Magic. It's misterious like it's trying to seduce you. And after you fell on its trap, there is no turning back - and you will not want to turn back too.

Yamba1
Yamba1

There is a homewares store in Australia called LOOT that sells all sorts of exotic things from south east Asia. You can always tell if there is a LOOT store in the shopping centre because you smell it before you see it. Each time you walk in your senses are assaulted by the riot of colours and smells reeking from the goods they sell. Its a jumble of teak furniture, soft furnishing, incense sticks, Indian perfume oils and candles. Headshop? Yeah, probably, if a nation wide, multi million dollar chain store counts as a headshop.
In many ways, Black Magic reminds me of this store. Perhaps its the loud aggressive opening that to me is laden with patchouli. Perhaps its the frangipani that makes its way to prominence, vying for attention against the berries, rose and jasmine. To me, there is definitely a strong incense note here too, perhaps this is the leather. I do agree with scorpiosheep about the comparison to Rumba, but Rumba has a little more spice, whereas Black Magic is fruiter.
Black Magic is a little too headshop for me, however many will wear this well and I can attest for the stellar projection and longevity.

perfumehouse55
perfumehouse55

Only one word to describe this MAGNIFICENT!

fraggirl50
fraggirl50

I agree with the review below. This is MAGNIFICENT! This truly original, and you don't have to pay a fortune.

I was enveloped, in a most wonderful, cloud of florals, and blackberry! The florals, and blackberry lasted the entire time. Three sprays filled the room, so I can see a bottle of this lasting a very long time.

This is the second Sebastiane fragrance I have tried and I am very impressed!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Black Magic is a different and rather enigmatic scent. At first it was a bit strident with the vetiver and patchouli with the tonka, followed by an initially strong birch tar leather note. The opening made me think "very masculine smelling fragrance." But the juice softens pretty quickly to the lovely leather of a soft purse or a worn saddle, and the notes, which at first did not seem to go together at all, blend into a harmonious whole.

This fragrance has good sillage and longevity. I am amazed at how all these seemingly discordant notes mesh into a beautiful whole in the drydown. The frangipani and jasmine are evident without screaming "white florals." An excellent fragrance from this new house. It's hard to explain why, but this scent smells very "American" to me. It reminds me of Texas, a bit of soft leather, some smokiness, flowers blooming, the tonka like a vanilla cake on the patio in the Texas hill country. Like the other offerings from Robert Elder, this fragrance exudes quality and the beauty of natural ingredients. I look forward to what Mr. Elder brings us in the future.

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

I wore this on a rainy spring morning where the skies were dark, and the wind was slight. Sitting in a rocking chair, drinking tea outside on my porch I was enveloped in the most lovely cloud of developing smells. On me the rose started as the predominant note, but soon after I was surrounded by patchouli, berries, vanilla. It gives an aura of comfort and warmth. The quiet humid air held Black Magic around me like a blanket and I breathed deeply, enjoying the experience. It is well blended, but I like the ascendance of its' individual notes. Each blooms on your skin, rising and then being surpassed by another until you are left with the full bouquet. Sillage on this day was amazing, and lasted for hours.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I have been following Robert Elder for some time. Been a fan of his work since the beginning and appreciating the work he has done with these recent releases.

This fragrance is probably my favorite all around, but I believe Espresso is my favorite. The problem with that one is that it is very true to its name which limits the signature quality this one possesses.

This fragrance opens with a decadent blackberry/fruity note. It isn't fruity floral and neither is it really jammy. It is very natural as in squeezed juice. This is accompanied by a jasmine and vanilla sweetening things up but again it doesn't go fruity floral and neither does go feminine. For some reason it stays purely unisex and I believe that is do to the Tonka and grass sort of giving it an unusual yet appealing aroma.

This has spring written all over it, yet the way Kilian would do a spring fragrance. It is as if Tom Ford and Kilian set in a room and decided to do a joint effort.

The longevity seems relatively good though I only have a dabber. The same goes for the projection, but since it is not a spray it is hard to call.

I would give this high marks for uniqueness yet wearability. I would give this high marks for the risk taken yet the pleasing aroma it creates. Finally I find it quite versatile from a season perspective though I don't find as a masculine signature.

Great job Robert and I look forward to seeing this line infiltrate the ranks of great niche houses.

joseph.sagona1
joseph.sagona1

This is my favorite fragrance from his line, it's so rich, deep, warm and comforting, it's sweet without being sugary sweet, the leather in this envelopes the notes without taking over them, it blends right in perfectly, wonderful fragrance 10/10

AlaskaWendy
AlaskaWendy

I received a sample of this recently, and because i loved the name, it was the first i tried of the 5 from Sebastiane. These are my initial impressions, which i might later edit.

Opening with a beautiful bouquet of florals, which i love, the amber and vanilla are there immediately too, making it warm, sweet and comforting. Not fruity sweet, like some designer offerings to entrance teenagers and young women, but a warmth, a cosiness, rather than outright sugar. I do love a bold floral though, and this has got it. I can't really comment on sillage, as i was using a dabber vial, and i feel projection and sillage are somewhat limited, when you can't do a liberal squirt from an atomiser, however the longevity is amazing.

I applied this after a bath, before bed, and when i got up the next morning, i was enveloped in a leathery, balmy, almost resinous cocoon. It was noticeable enough that my husband commented. The sillage and projection were more apparent the following day. I am not a fan of leather, but Sebastiane has the knack of either masterfully blending it so that it enhances the other notes, or he just barely adds any. Either way, his skills with leather are second to none. I am very impressed with this fragrance, and seriously considering a full bottle.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Sebastiane Black Magic fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Sebastiane Black Magic, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Magic by Sebastiane. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Magic by Sebastiane represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.