Designers » R S » Chypre Fruity « Groups

dislike

honey
beeswax
Chypre Rouge Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

This is a very sensual fragrance with sweet honey notes, amber notes and oakmoss. According to SL, this is a scent of west France, a scent of a fairy tale forest. A part of 'Chypre' is represented by oakmoss with its woody deep smell and a heavy earth note. Top notes are thyme and pine tree needles; middle notes are honey, bees wax, jasmine and fruity resins; base notes are patchouli, moss, amber, musk and vanilla. The perfume was created by Christopher Sheldrake in 2006.

Caraway Pine Tree Needles

Honey Jasmine Beeswax

Amber Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Vanilla

Rouge Cardinal

Chypre Rouge Fragrance Reviews

Axum
Axum

Some very interesting reviews here - I guess Chypre Rouge strikes people pretty violently, one way or another. Funny thing is that I can understand even the negative reviews, and yet I don't find this perfume bad or unbalanced, but rather, balanced unusually...like a Calder mobile. I can smell various elements - there is a LOT going on in this composition, it's not simple or sleek - but overall what strikes me is the dark, dark depth of this perfume. There's a dark-roast coffee element, along with a heavily spiced fruit compote, and yet it never quite becomes gourmand because of the astringent pine. Somehow I find that effect arresting, even addictive, on cold winter nights.

A little goes a long way, so do not overspray.

FaunAromatic
FaunAromatic

Chypre Rouge had to grow on me. Chypres are my favorite genre of scent, so I was excited when I first received my bottle. I wasn't expecting all the sweetness on top of the base notes, however, and that disappointed me at first. If I hadn't been somewhat burned out on sweet scents in general, I probably would have been more accepting of that aspect. However, when I tried the perfume again months later, I found I liked it much more than before. It's undoubtedly an odd one, but interesting; I can see myself possibly coming to love it.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

I applied this, went for my morning walk and as soon as I went out of the door I sniffed my arm and was taken aback with the smell. This is not was what I was expecting from SL: candied pine tree and oakmoss shaken together in a box of red hots. Too sweet and too syrupy for me, but as I passed though my neighbor's trail of cigarette smoke I took a whiff of my arm again and realized how Chypre Rouge could be heavenly if it had a smokiness added to it. Back to my review now...about half an hour later this fragrance had mostly faded away and left on my arm were well blended notes of a soft, sweet skin scent. For me, Chypre Rouge is not my preference and I will not be adding it to my collection.

avagard
avagard

If someone here ( Europe only) is interested in a swap I would exchange the remains ( ca 30 ml left) of my Serge Lutens "Chypre Rouge" bottle ( bottle included) with something else lutenesque I do not own ( Fille en aiguilles or Arabie).Thx

Lovelolitalempicka
Lovelolitalempicka

I am not sure why I like this - as someone else remarks, it is very much sweet cough syrup. It also smells herby like rosemary and thyme, but then the sweetness comes through again. I like it (I don't love it), but I almost don't *want* to like it, because it makes me think it is actually quite "cheap" (and Serge Lutens isn't cheap in an economic sense). It's definitely not a chypre, it is definitely not green, but apart from the syrup, I don't know why it would be 'red' either. An odd one, wearable, but not very interesting. Actually, as I write this, I have come down the other way again and decided that I don't even like it. Probably why I have had the bottle for 3 years and tend to forget about it most times.

Calvini
Calvini

Looks and smells like (the idea of) red wine.. Very sophisticated :)

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. On my skin and to my nose, it's a sweet smokey piney scent with a cough syrup vibe. Projection and longevity are moderate on my skin.

dalmajen
dalmajen

Lost in the Forest”
I had to really persevere to test this particular Serge Lutens fragrance. I initially just wanted to run immediately, and scrub it off. But, I decided to go through the stages, and try to understand this perfume. First of all, the opening is a bitter blast of overwhelming pine. But, not a pine I am familiar with. More like been lost deep in a pine forest, with the scent of pine needles magnified by 100. And to add to this ferocious blast of pine, add copious amounts of thyme! I have to admit, I felt rather faint for the first 10 or 15 minutes. Then, after the opening shock seemed to wind down a bit, it was a bit more bearable to sniff. There was an almost slightly burnt smell in the background. I didn't really detect much jasmine at all, which may have been drowned out by the thyme note. As far as the honey note, well it was very slight, but began to develop slightly after about 30 minuets. The dry down was much better than the opening and heart notes, but it does not transform this fragrance, in my opinion. It still remains a brash, and cold fragrance to my nose. It doesn't really strike me as a unisex fragrance either. It tends to be more for masculine tastes. It looks lovely in the presentation, but you can never judge a book by it's cover

cockapoo9237
cockapoo9237

I was stunned when I first tried this. So different, so unique. Another possible holy grail type of fragrance. On the paper strip it was spicy, but the fruit more strongly stood out. On my skin the opposite happened. It was spicy/peppery ad the fruit was present, but shy. I'm not sure about the pepper/spice bit, which on my calms down after about 3 hours...I like a little bit of spice, but this is a lot on me. I also could smell some kind of tea. And yet I am in love with it. What to do...?

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Love for the first Sight!
What a brave scent this is indeed with strong personality.
There is somekind of distant memory, like being sniffed before something like this with the knowledge I have not. Time machine to some other century and
luxyrous city. For my Soul`s nostagic memories I just have to purchase this- but I do let My-Self be waiting untill January. I am sure I feel being... like.. in my own castle - with Chypre Rouge.
Love from North ***<3<3<3***

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Spicy stewed fruit, drizzled with honey and served in a wooden bowl. It's warm, rich and very Autumnal, but admittedly not something I'd wear.

nastyamason
nastyamason

I remember trying a wax sample of this among other samples and was disappointed that I already ordered a bottle. It was really strange. Well, I finally opened that bottle tonight and tried this liquid perfume for the first time. I did not have high expectations but enjoyed this perfume so much! In fact, I love it and placed it in my favorite 5 shelf. I still prefer Fille en Aiguilles, however I wish I bought another bottle of Chypre Rouge back then, since it is hard to find now.

beddy
beddy

odeur de cèleri et de chou sur moi puis un peu aiguilles de pins mais je trouve très bof pour un LUTENS.

danieq
danieq

This reads warm and crunchy to my nose. The fragrance has a certain zing to it, I think it is the pine needles, though I wouldn't say this is scented like pine at all. It's sweet and resinous. I do feel a bit like I'm on a walk in the woods when I'm wearing this scent. It is on my FB list to buy.

tymanski
tymanski

i get a lot of pine fresh pine sap, along with some summer berries, but very dry, almost singeing the nose at first. the immortelle is there but it's quite meek, no easy feat for such an assertive note. it projects a certain slow-burn heat, like a well-stained mahogany dresser in the strong sunlight. there's no curry spice rack evident but maybe a touch of anise and later, a firm mossy structure (hence the name, i suppose). this is quite exotic and though i've been wearing it for years, always surprises me with its strange vibe. classic serge aesthetic

rethsarah
rethsarah

Oh dear. You know how sometimes you meet someone who exhibits a trait you're not very fond of and you know instantly that you have no interest in getting to know them? It doesn't matter how much everybody else likes this person or even if you like other things about them. You will never be friends.

In the quest where the winner is a full bottle bought; I'm sorry Immortelle, you spell a death wish. Pine needles, which I also have firmly in my 'do not enjoy' list make a very thoughtful and clever, if subtle addition.

That said, after the initial offense of straight up snorting curry and fenugreek, the scent veers toward a pleasant floral gourmand. It's creamy sweet and smooth, and the jasmine and oakmoss offset an otherwise oppressive honeyed beeswax: a warm and cool interplay on my skin.

This second story - the one that extends into the heart and base notes - is much more reminiscent of classic Lutens. Good longevity: a very familiar, inoffensive drydown I can still smell well the next morning.

Chypre Rouge is a very interesting fragrance for the first 15 minutes and deserves to be worn by someone who will appreciate it more than I.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

What a very odd fragrance. I'm honestly having a bit of a hard time coming up with descriptives here. The Lutens line didn't make sense to me until I did a little research. Every offering I'd tried singly seemed "disconnected" in a way. Once I went to the website for a good read, I learned Mr Lutens & I share a birthday, we are both moody Pisces. Which may be why I am so drawn to that dark decor of the boutique. To understand the fragrance concept, its easier to read his own thoughts about it.

Chypre rouge is an odd combination of a fragrance that evokes the wilderness of a forest, a la chypre-ish base notes, but it carries with it a strange sweetness. Pine & moss, almost medicinal at first, then a surrounding sweetness which is slightly dense, like berries made into jam with an old fashioned wax seal. But this doesn't control the composition. I'm not much one for sweets, so this could have ruined Chypre Rouge for me, but it certainly didn't. On the contrary, I think it added an odd juxtaposition to the "outdoorsy fresh" vibe that made an otherwise ordinary "forest fragrance" stand apart from the rest. The impression it gives is as if one walked through a warm, summer coniferous woods, then came upon the mythical "grandmothers house in the forest" which smells of odd herbs, something comforting like homemade jam, but still there are mysterious & scary things lurking in the dark corners & cabinets. Bunches of unknown dried herbs hang from the rafters exuding fragrance, and the mystery of their magical use. This fragrance is a fairytale trip, through the dark, enchanted woods. Grown up style, with all of the mystery, depth and hidden danger that we have learned to expect from such warning tales of our childhood.

persefoni
persefoni

When i first tested it, a year or so ago,i was instantly apalled.. However, on the way home, i kept sniffing my wrist in awe... (btw what a horrific place to test a perfume!)

Then, i revisited the shop thrice(!) to retest. Each time i drove off impressed but not sure.

Conclusion: It's By Far the Most Interesting perfume i've smelled so far, and i'm about to finish my first bottle. Wonderful oakmoss, pine and honey, and somehow not that much a sweet as a fresh smell. A must-try for non-flower maniacs!!

raw umber
raw umber

Chypre Rouge's opening is sweet and unusual. It reminds me of a decorative tin filled with dry, loose fruit tea. It smells honeyed, fruity, mildly spicy, and slightly floral but NOT FRESH, like the fruit and tea leaves have been dehydrated and sitting in their tin for some time in the back of a cabinet. All of the notes have melded together forming one unified, ambiguously fruity tea scent.

Chypre Rouge smells like an old sachet of red fruits potpourri, intimate and nostalgic. This is a scent that does not convey elegance, refinement, or power, or even comfort. Instead, it is more of a transportive fragrance, than it is a potential compliment or accent to what the wearer brings to the table. Sillage is average and longevity is pretty good.

I find myself wondering how this fragrance would smell if only it were allowed to "open up" with the help of some boiling water, but alas, I think that Chypre Rouge is destined to remain in a perpetual state of dehydrated stasis.

truffles
truffles

I'm confused. From the solid sample of this I received today I get red fruits, immediately, and only red fruits?
Don't know if it's my nose, the sample or the notes given above but something doesn't fit.
Update - wait, the red fruits persist but there's a backnote I can't place too.
I don't get pine.
I like the very end of the drydown but couldn't be bothered to have to wait for it!

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

I expected a raw and strong Cypress scent like TOM FORD's Italian Cypress. But I found it a very sweet, soft, and elegent, with little moss not. but sweet note in the very begining. I guess it should thank to the honey and honeywax. It is very nice fragrance, really love it.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I don't know what the forests in west France smell like but SL has captured a pine forest in this bottle. It smells exactly like trekking in an autumnal forest in Europe. It's so "foresty" it's almost medicinal in a good way. Definitely a unique scent. There is some sweetness in this probably from the flowers and the honey but its not a sweet perfume. Sillage is medium and longevity about six hours. Thereafter it still stays on clothes but very faintly. I'm not good at waxing lyrical about this as its a complicated scent but its so beautiful and pure. It's like taking a deep breath during that forest trek and having the purity of Nature clean out your lungs, refocus your brain and give strength to your body. I find its name a little of a misnomer. I don't find it very chypre and besides its deep glowing red colour, there's nothing rouge about this scent. Still for me it's a breath of fresh air and so very different from others. Another great and odd creation from Mr. Lutens.

massimilianoinquieto
massimilianoinquieto

ho provato di recente questo profumo e lo ho trovato incantevole.
le sue note di apertura evocano questo paesaggio radioso di colore rosso porpora, e si vedono le erbe verdi e aromatiche che sovrastano il tappeto di foglie.
liquore alla coliegia, sciroppo d'acero,qualcosa di piccante e ardente che resta acceso nel cuore...
molto affascinante.

dkny27
dkny27

Zesty caraway and tea from the start.... The fragrance on a whole is very distinct. I'm not getting the large pine note listed, but I am getting the natural honey signifigant in the dry down... I really can't say that I love it or dislike it, it's uniqueness is growing on me and an appreciation developing. I feel a culinary aroma leading to a balmy wood.... Different, definately different...

Filomena
Filomena

This smells exactly like Klorane Hair Mask with Mango Butter :-/

Deep and warm reminding about the forest fragrance!

Most of all I feel the pine needles, beeswax, honey, moss and amber notes in it.

I would say that the pine needles note and the beeswax note are the leading notes in this fragrance. I like that it smells less sweet than some other fragrances by Serge Lutens with the honey note because it smells more the beeswax note, so it's not sickly sweet.

This fragrance brings me associations with a pine forest scent with aromatic resins on the trees. It's quite calming, despite it's intensive enough.

I think that it will suit more to such clothes like leather jackets or something like this, because it will hide its intensity and even bring some charm.

I like this fragrance, except the pine needles note.

spumyland
spumyland

il solito inizio liquoroso... stavolta e' il mirto della Sardegna e il rischio di berlo e' decisamente alto..ok provo a leccarmi i polsi:-)))..mi ricorda l'inchiostro delle penne biro..
passiamo al naso...
non credo che il cumino sia eccessivo o facilmente riconoscibile il tutto e' miscelato perfettamente e l'impressione che si ha e' proprio quella di una caramella dura ai frutti rossi.mmmmmmm:-)
mi e' piaciuto provarlo ma' lo vedo perfetto di giorno per una ragazza. giovane,pulita,non impegnata,spensierata e che le piaccia essere presa a morsi!
G R E E D Y

fanny
fanny

In the progress of trying all of SL's products, today Chypre Rouge had its turn.

I must admit the opening shocked me like no other opening ever did..: A thick curry smell filled the room, as if I had been working in an Asian kitchen for hours.
Luckily after about 20 minutes CR settles nicely down into a subdued peppery chyphre vanilla.

Not bad at all, still, I rather doubt it's survival in my wardrobe.

ESSENCE OF CARAWAY would be a more accurate name for Serge Lutens CHYPRE ROUGE, at least judging by the way it plays out on my skin! I believe that it is the pine mingling with the overwhelming caraway note which together conspire to produce the scent of lettuce. Le Grand Serge has managed to transport me: to a Jewish delicatessen!

Honestly, to my nose, this is an oriental perfume of the culinary variety. Great for evoking memories of rye bread and coleslaw, but to wear? Hmmm... Definitely not for me. In fact, I see a bath in my immediate future.

Guest_Kharnak
Guest_Kharnak

Quite eagerly awaited my decant of this red Juice.
VERY Very Woody Fruity opening, Hint of pine, but not at all like floor cleaner. It's like he selected the finer parts of Pine.
Smells strongly of Bavarian Berry tisane Teas, and Red potpourri. Very complex and layered, softening out to a kind of sweet Powderyness that suggests honey, but i don't sense honey overtly. Yes, this does smell like a dense, dimly lit forest, with LOTS of moss and berries, Blackberries, or black currants.
This is definitely unisex, doesn't suggest a gender at all. But i'd feel comfortable wearing this anywhere. My mum likes it instantly and said it's very good. She's not into perfumes as much as me, but she sniffed my Arm quite intently. She also says the DryDown smells like Must de Cartier, but i don't see that. The only thing they have in common is Jasmine & Amber.
**Update: oh my... i just realized, this reminds me strongly of Stetson Black by Coty. But Chypre Rouge is FAR more unisex, sweeter the whole way down, and refined mossy wood, than the Oily twig & berry of Stetson Black. They're both good really.

spoombung
spoombung

As some people have suggested, this DOES smell a bit like raspberry and strawberry jellies setting in plastic bowls for a children's party... but so what? It's kinda fun!

There IS a bit more to it, to be fair; a nice, musky, woody effect at the base - but there's no getting away from the fact that this scent is all about fruity jelly, ladies and Gentlemen. It reminds me of Chanel's Allure Sensuelle somewhat.

Wear it while holding a bunch of balloons.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I love the initial spicyness of Chypre Rouge, and whilst I find this vaguely lingers on me over time, it's taken over by a gourmand sweetness. This is pleasant enough, but not really to my tastes, which is such a shame as I really wanted to love this perfume. This has no lasting power on me (is that a sample thing?).

lazza
lazza

Very dissapointed, am trying differnt chypres to
see how they compare to yvresse.
Chypre rouge is expensive and has little staying power on my skin. It does however
remind me of walking through woods after
rain, but will not be buying it again.

Gator71
Gator71

Such a tease! This is a beautiful, warm, sweet and woody combination of notes that disappears as soon as it touches my skin. So sad! I can smell it just enough to know that I would love it.....if only it would stick around! : ( I will go with bpal's Lunar Eclipse instead. Not quite the same but it's as close as I'm likely to get to the feeling I get from Chypre Rouge.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Chypre Rouge was released in 2006 and his name means, in English, "Red Chypre". It's one of those fragrances that depict childhood memories of Serge Lutens, still in France.

Serge defends its concept as: "a castle, whose bridge rises and then, Gilles de Rais (known as Bluebeard) returns to his home. Right after, his blood will stain the wooden floor of the Château de Tiffauges".
In addition, the official website explains that, originally, the fragrance had the name of their country of origin, where the inhabitants used sachets of cistus and oakmoss - taken from the wooden beams - to scent their homes.

Chypre Rouge has notes of thyme, pine needles, honey, beeswax, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla, musks, amber, moss and fruit gums. On my skin, the result was not pleasant. Do you know that smell of children's cough syrup? So, that's exactly what I felt!

It's not all bad and, at times, I even liked the fragrância. But I thought too sweet and cloying. It's the kind of sweet perfume that I don't like. The result looks like a mix of red fruits with honey, too synthetic and artificial. I couldn't feel the jasmine, the patchouli and the moss, which also are part of the composition.

Is it strong? Yes. Has good lasting? For sure.
But, honestly, I don't know if I would wear it, even winning a bottle. Some say that's how it is when you meet Chypre Rouge: at first you do not like, but with the passage of time and use – in cold climates – it ends up conquering you.

In my opinion, it is the case of the famous "sweet perfume" that no one likes to feel on women. Imagine on men...

floriana
floriana

I love this fragrance, because is unique. Deep warm and woody, hot and very spicy.
On the first whiff delicious, but not sweet, just like some spicy food or a fruit cake, something like almond or hot pepper.

I like it! It's surely a different fragrance and I can see it is of neurologic interest for Luca Turin - LOL!
I don't smell so much cumin here. No obvious honey, jasmine or beeswax. They probably melt into the scent and make it subtly attractive. It is very suitable for both men and women.
For me it smells of candied red fruits and trees. Candied moss. It is like walking in a thick forest made of red trees with bright red fruits and leaves with a soft pink dusk around. A work of imagery. It would be like walking into such a place if the fragrance had more sillage. With one single spray you'll be the only one to smell it and content yourself, secretly. Neurologically happy.

Robert White
Robert White

This is a truly horrible fragrance, like having you head jammed into a burlap sack filled with pencil shavings, chalk dust, and moldy curry powder. One of the worst Lutens I've ever smelled. Like having a handful of old black pepper thrown in your face. As Luca Turin says "chiefly of neurological interest"

guest_A. Rose

...correction: "...wandering through WOODS..." not "foods". Unless you're referencing "Hansel and Gretel" and "Chypre Rouge" would totally work for that.

guest_A. Rose

Smoky, wooden cottages and caraway bread smothered in honey and lingonberry jam; orange, matted pine needles, dried leaves and crackling bark; a wine-like, syrupy sweetness. There's also an aromatic hint of church resin, like something that would be swirling in a monastic setting. "Chypre Rouge" is dense, astringent and woody,--not a soft, pretty little scent in the least--both striking and ancient, evoking Scandinavian and Germanic folktales and primeval forests, days spent wandering through foods in search of berries and fairies or gnomes. Magical.

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

Hmmm...the caraway, pine needles, & honey create an interesting aroma on me. I don't smell them separately, but combined, I get an Indian-spice (perhaps cumin?)/licorice-type scent that reminds me of something---perhaps a candy (not sweet of course) from my past. It's bothering me that I can't remember...

I don't get any jasmine or beeswax. I can sniff out the patchouli, but the top notes remain present for a VERY long time. Then the amber emerges, but it remains subtle and even barely noticeable at times. Very earthy, spicy, & warm. I won't be adding this to my list of "to haves"...but interesting. Has lasted for 4 hours so far.

*Update: The amber is resilient. I smell it more towards the end. I'll even go so far as to say that it even "brightens" the whole composition. The vanilla shows up and helps it along as well. The dry down reminds me of Midnight Poison Elixir. Interesting...

Lunohodik
Lunohodik

I nearly bought it this fall in Paris, it sounded great on blotter, rich and warm, especially for cold and rainy weather.
Then I tested it on my skin, well it didn't work... Though I still think that its one of the best from the SL perfume line.

I smell patchouli, vanilla-musk. Something foody, probably the nuts, and an edge of burnt. Not in a bad way but odd. Neither is it a pleasant smell on my skin. Again, not bad or foul, but too woody/burnt to be perfume. I like it anyway.

flannelman
flannelman

I don't get many of Chypre Rouge's top notes. There is a faint pine needle scent but it is very quickly overwhelmed by very sweet notes. Honey, but also and most prominently, candied red fruits. It reminds me of fruit gums, at times. I didn't get the jasmine note, which would have been nice to counter-balance the sweetness. Some rose, perhaps. The drydown is mostly warm vanilla and amber and, to a much lesser extent, moss. But the sweetness remains present at all times and only fades very slowly. Chypre Rouge is not a masterpiece, but still wearable if you can stand the sweetness and don't mind a little oddity. Preferably used in cold weather.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

Definitely a different perfume. I received a sample and I too found it sweet and hot at the same time. Yum!

jeca
jeca

Sweet and hot red chypre ;o)