Designers » R S » Woody Chypre « Groups

Santal Blanc Serge Lutens for women and men

Santal Blanc Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

Santal Blanc is a very intensive and many-sided fragrance of exotic resins, warm wood and spices. Exotic white sandalwood is surrounded by resins, rose, jasmine, pink pepper, iris, musk and cedar. The fragrance was created by Christopher Sheldrake in 2001.

iris Cinnamon Pink Pepper Musk White Sandalwood

Santal du Pacifique

Santal Blanc Fragrance Reviews

mendwillie
mendwillie

Cosmetable, hot and delicious smell, warm creamy sandal, well mixed with the pink pepper and the subtle cinnamon burning slowly. Adorable.

I evaluate this:
Smell: 8.5/10
Projection: 6.5/10

shushkin
shushkin

Pink pepper, some sweetness, sandalwood and musk. These are the order of the notes as they reveal themselves to me. Thankfully the pepper and cinnamon soften quickly and then its all about musk and sandalwood. Its a musk and sandalwood skin scent for most of its duration. Very pleasant but not fb worthy. Its definitely unisex.
A skin scent with moderate duration.

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

Turned into melted butter and brown sugar with a faint woodiness and spice on my skin. Not bad, but pretty forgettable and uneventful for me. If you're looking for a sandalwood bomb as I was, look elsewhere. This is clouded by too many other things.

mejohann
mejohann

I keep wondering if any of us are actually smelling/reviewing the same perfume. Personally, I think the notes listed on fragrantica aren't accurate. It's also missing a lot of notes e.g. Cedar, benzoin, vanilla and guiac?

First off, I'm a HUGE sandalwood fan and in addition I tend to dislike cedar notes in fragrances. Especially when combined with sandalwood (I feel like it's only used because Cedar oil is so cheap to produce. Feels like a cop-out to me. Ceases to be about the art for arts sake and becomes about purely about money).

That said, I found sandalwood to be in the extreme far backround if any at all was present (I suspect not). I think many smell the other combinations of wood with a high quality cedar and think they're smelling sandalwood. But they're not. The vanilla and iris in this soften, warm, and powder the wood notes enough to make it somewhat resemble a bastard-sandalwood-wannabee. Now, it's not a BAD frag. It is absolutely linear with very little development. But it was just kind of boring and smelled generically perfume-y and inoffensive/not interesting. It didn't smell synthetic, thank God. But it also didn't resemble sandalwood in any way. Which is ironic for something with sandalwood in the name. It's a good non-santal sandalwood. If that's what you're into. But I'm not. I want something breathtaking and not to be misled. So very tired of sandalwood frags not using sandalwood. Majuscule definitely contained an excellent heart of santal, but the rose ruined it. Now if SL could just bottle Majuscule without the rose or cocoa!

ayh210
ayh210

Opening is sweet and gourmandy but it turns into a more sensual warm sandalwood with a hint of cinnamon. It has undercurrents of burnt wood while still keeping an overall gourmandy feel. I was hoping the smokiness might be more prominent or add another layer of dimension but it's so minute that it's just barely distinguishable. I like it but I think I'd have to test it out a couple more times to determine whether I'd be able to justify a FB purchase.

Sillage - close to skin / Longevity - 4 hours

6.5/10

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

All of the listed notes are very distinct in Santal Blanc. Together they remind me of a wintery mulled wine with all of the ingredients brewed together and seamlessly blended into a warm and cozy fragrance that makes you want to snuggle up with a blanket in front of a fireplace.

Eos
Eos

@archivist Perhaps your samples are mixed up? I think you're thinking of Santal de Mysore rather than Santal Blanc. On my skin, Santal Blanc is a warm, creamy, musky sandalwood with a bit of sweetness. For me, Santal de Mysore is sandalwood with caramelized dessert spices and an intense bodily smelling cumin note.

archivist
archivist

Why isn't cumin in the notes? This is the biggest cumin stank bomb Sheldrake has made for Lutens, aside from maybe Fleurs d'Oranger. Maybe. Couldn't live through more than the initial blast, had to wash it off. Cumin doesn't exactly go away, so I'd expect it to stick around through all the phases.

Guest_magdalena.pollak
Guest_magdalena.pollak

Santal Blanc is deep but not heavy.Warm but not sultry.
Is placed quietly on the skin.Does not dominate.Is quiet and obedient.
This is not clumsy smell of incense from India Shop.Very discreet and balanced.Just well mannered.
I adore anthropomorphization this smell.

CLevol
CLevol

To love Santal Blanc i suppose you have to be an dedicated follower of SL..
But i love it, it is not a passionated love but a distinguished love.

Santal Blanc it a very chique SL fragrance and strange enough it reminds me the first 30 minutes of Aimez moi from Caron..because of the very little fresh minty note in combination with the Sandalwood and Cedar.

This is the perfect fragrance for a Nice summer day when you want to smell very fine, chique and sexy but not in a intrusive way!

Certainly not for men only!! It is a beautiful unisex perfume..maybe for men who can't handle strong women who wears Santal Blanc

kayraven
kayraven

This is one of my favourite Serge Lutens perfumes. Smells extremely nice and cosy, though not without some naughtiness and mystery, I especially appreciate the oriental part of this scent. I have just realised that once some time passes the scent opens up so nicely on me, sweet, spicy and quite, it smells sexy to many. It is a fusion of woody iris and creamy sandalwood, white sandalwood, cinnamon, fenugreek, pink pepper, rose, jasmine, orris root, musk, benzoin and copaiba balsam, musk. The lasting power of it is great, it is definitely a quality perfume to spend money on. Also I love the bottle because it's so simple, classy and elegant. A wonderful product. Definitely repurchase.

id
id

Reminds me of Jeux de Peau but much better, not so edible. I love cinnamon and pepper plus iris. My nose also gets red berries at the opening even they are not listed.
Superb.

aveilhe
aveilhe

I am new to the Lutens party, so I suppose I'm a S.L. virgin (aside from a sniff of Musc Khubla Khan that I dearly regretted). I know a bit about Lutens from various blogs and my own research, and from what I gathered, Santal Blanc was a good place to start (it is considered a "friendly" Lutens). Sandalwood is one of my favorite notes, so I dove right in after receiving the sample.

After an initial sweet-peachy-sandalwood opening, I get a huge whiff of cumin/fenugreek. I have some difficulty with this "armpit" note in perfumes (which explains my reaction to Khubla Khan), but this one is more foodie/spicy and less evocative of b.o., so I'm patiently optimistic. The fenugreek does remain in the background as SB dries down but is only noticeable when I smell my wrist closely.

There is an unexpected sweetness to Santal Blanc -- a wine or fruity compote aroma that is surprisingly gourmand and rather feminine to my nose. Beneath that, exotic spices...unfamiliar, yet warm and inviting. Such beautiful contrasts!

While most sandalwood iterations are woody and creamy, SB is spicy, boozy, and fruity...with a hint of soft musk always in the background.

Santal Blanc has nudged me away from my usual sandalwood associations, and I'm enjoying the Lutens' journey!

Axum
Axum

A soft, warm and inviting sandalwood, with SL's trademark stewed fruit notes floating in the background. It does indeed smell different on different people.

I thought Santal blanc might appeal to a friend, so I gave her a tester of it this evening, over dinner. She immediately sprayed it on her hand; she inhaled deeply: it smelled divine. Ah, one of those moments when someone tries on a perfume and it is a perfect fit. Snap!

persefoni
persefoni

That's a new one: lutens has soft scents!!!

A polite sandalwood with a soapy nuance, but to my nose no cinnamon at all(snif!).Unisex, but discrete..

edit after wearing it several times: It smells quite different on people: on a friend of mine it smelled so softly, on me it's much stronger and gives me a headache each time i wear it...

finzi
finzi

Knowing how many devout fans of SL are out there I feel I may be stoned for what I'm about to say...

This has that same dirty spice smell I've encountered so often with SL fragrances. I'm starting to think of it as a SL fingerprint, sort of like the distinctive Chanel openings I've encountered in so many perfumes from that house. Yes, it is rather balmy and sweet but I don't get much sandalwood. I'm afraid that to my nose this scent is dominated by a dirty, rather cloying cumin smell.

The sillage is great as is longevity.

fanny
fanny

Fresh and subtle.
Wood and spice.
Very comfy.
Excuse me for not elaborating; so many Lutens to test, and I am tired (I know it: "I'm no f***ing good,... I never was" - 'Scent of a woman').
But it's a Lutens allright.
A rather modest one.

I luuuuuv it. So fresh, sweet and creamy, yum!

Majesty
Majesty

The most beautiful sandalwood I have ever smelled!Bought it as a gift for my mom who loves sandalwood.Sandalwood has a light smell of wood but most of the sandalwood fragrances out there are too weak,too soft. For instance I tried Diptyque's Tam Dao,a lovely fragrance indeed but too weak for someone who wants strength,good lasting power and projection.So I ended up buying Santal Blanc!The opening is a burst of pink pepper which burns your nose.Cinnamon joins in after 5 minutes,it's not sweet cinnamon at all,more sharp and realistic!The drydown is calmer,spicy enough for those who like spicy perfumes,It's more wood and pepper and a bit of musk just to give comfort.Lasting power is good enough for a sandalwood scent.Don't expect it to be like Ambre Sultan but yes it lasts quite long!Overall it reminds me of spicy cheddar cheese which I love!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I also get a strange food note over the sandalwood. This opens as very wood-based on me, with an undertone of sweet chocolate, then turns into a spicy wood. The spicy cumin note is what puts me off an otherwise very well-balanced scent.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This is a perfect woody fragrance, so much better than Sycomore or Coromadel.

This fragrance reminds me a little of Feminine du bois but more vanilic and incensy, with some slightly smoky cinnamon. Santal blanc sillage and lastingpower are very good.

I am impressed with this fragrance it is well crafted and complex. If you like woody fragrances this is a must try!

jae
jae

Well, well, well. Serge Lutens finally has a new customer. Santal Blanc opens up strong but becomes more smooth and inviting throughout the duration of the fragrance. I dabbed this on the nape of my neck and my wrists this morning. 9 hours later, this has become a skin scent that is sure to make people want to come closer. The sillage is moderate/close. The quality is "up there". I have no complaints with my first Lutens fragrance.

Now I just have to figure out how to work this into my fashion coordination. LOL

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

mmm...Santal Blanc is an interesting one)) It starts very sweet, almost minty - like sweet peppermints mingled with woods; very likable and unusual, in my opinion. It gets more woody towards the end, very prominent sandalwood-cinnamon scent. It sits close to the skin, but is long lasting. This is the second time I'm wearing it, and I'm being complemented on this scent yet again. I also anticipate to smell it on a man: I think it should blend wonderful with male chemistry. I can't believe there are so many people disappointed with it - I find it wonderful, and I wonder how come I have overlooked this beauty before! Thumbs up))

guest_ewa
guest_ewa

A quiet, but still a very elegant fragrance. Very unique. It stays close to skin and it's comfortable to wear.

elusivek
elusivek

What's interesting to me about this one is that all the notes come out at once in the initial few moments. I get spice but only the pepper, I don't really ever get cinnamom (which I love), I get the sandalwood, powdery iris, rose, a fairly strong musk, sweetness and a fruit note although there isn't one listed anywhere.

At the mid point it is peppery with the smooth sandalwood, the rose and musk fade then the sweetness is very dominant. For anyone who has smelled Ambre Sultan, it is the same sweet note.

In the end it is almost a skin scent, not a lot of sillage, of sweet rose cradled by the sandalwood and musk.

The only downfall for me is the overpowering sweetness.

janudy
janudy

This smelled like white pepper and sweet sandalwood in the beginning, and then morphed into a warm cedar wood. That's it--I kind of wish I smelled the iris and the rose, but this was a rather linear fragrance on me, and stayed mostly woody. Ah, well--saves my wallet!

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

It could have been a great perfume if not for that sour note that ruins the whole thing for me. I don't know what it is but I wish it wasn't there.

Guest_yvashche
Guest_yvashche

I spent a lot of time choosing to purchase just one full bottle of Lutens and after much sampling, I chose this one mainly because when I wore it at home and it had settled, it was like being enveloped in a comforting cashmere shawl. Lovely.

KalteStern
KalteStern

Just like the very expensive 'genuine' sandalwood essential oil that I bought from the Body Shop a few years back, this has a very cloying, sickly note in it that I would find intolerable if I used much of it, although I generally like sandalwood. Test before you buy, I suggest

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

Opening on the dry-oil sweetness of nutmeats--or the scrapings inside almond shells--before the slightly yeasty, astringent, wood-pudding creaminess of the sandalwood oil explodes from the blend. There's something creamy, warm and carnal about "Santal Blanc"; like clean skin that's ripened after cuddling in clean sheets all afternoon. The smell of oily, old trees decomposing in a sunbaked and dry place. Every once in a while, you reach to grab a little chunk of pistachio "Turkish Delight" from an oiled, wooden box, and luxuriate in the treat's nutty rosewater, cinnamon, and honeyed sweetness. There's also a slightly peppery, spicy, dried-wood accord found in "Santal Blanc" where it's obviously been touched with a hint of turpentine-refreshing, sweet-water-like benzoin---a smell that makes me think of well-worn and cleaned linens or soft t-shirts on particularily philosophical, sunbleached-sexy people, who might also paint in oils or refinish classic wooden boats. "Santal Blanc" is cozy, laid-back sensuality---but sensuality is its most mischevious game; the amorous emotion you'll feel when it surrounds you--all swirling pudding-woods with hearty, savory touches that speak to your core--might come as a total surprise.

Robert White
Robert White

Hey, a perfume that REALLY smells like the notes in the description: Sandalwood (duh), Cinnamon bark (redundant superfluity, Cinnamon IS bark...it's like pita bread or rice pilaf), and Siamese Benzoin. (Hey, Serge, it's been Thailand since 1939. Of course, the French had a few other things on their minds back then and they probably just didn't notice. Or perhaps a little hankering after the good old colonial days? What the hell, I'll forgive a lot where genius is involved. I like Celine, too.) Without spices and resins, it wouldn't be a Lutens, naturally. And hovering over this,Iris and musk, just like the package says. Dries down to the smell of...Kentucky Bourbon? It sure is! Takes me right back to my whiskey swilling, dope sniffing, Keith Richards wardrobe wearing days of the mid Eighties. Another triumph, Frenchy.

PR
PR

a sweet, warm and peppery, though I feel like a little bit choking on it, I smell a little wood workshop in it as well, but as it had already been mentioned you have to pass some foodie establishment on the first place.. slightly burning and dusty scent.
Not my type. I don't know if I find any SL scent that I would love or feel necessary to own; so far no success

Strangely foody cedar on me with musk, cinnamon and benzoin giving a foody-cake feeling. A change from the fruitcake Arabie, but not as rich or round as Ambre Sultan. There’s an edge I don’t care for that is a bit nose-twinging, and I’m pretty sure it’s the sandalwood, with a Mysore lilt that comes across as cumin/sweat. Urk.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Santal Blanc fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Santal Blanc, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.