Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Santal Majuscule Serge Lutens for women and men

Santal Majuscule Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

cacao

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Santal Majuscule was launched in 2012. The fragrance features sandalwood, cacao and damask rose.

Sandalwood Cacao Damask Rose

Jeux de Peau
Santal Majuscule Edition Numérotée
Sacred Wood
Anima Dulcis

Santal Majuscule Fragrance Reviews

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Sandalwood facets dominates with a rose sprinkled with cocoa. Thats the idea behind SM. The silage is great but not as big as Arabie or Amber Sultan, but it does make its presence known which is a good thing. It seems to hover like a burgundy nebulous cloud shifting thru sandalwoods characteristics. People have groaned it isnt Mysore..well he never said it was Mysore!

There's many more types of sandalwoods out there and rosewood used. Its great fun exploring the woodiness it displays and the rose and coco notes to go with the ride. The more I wear it, the more i notice new things and like it better. This one really grows on you. Its unisex and appropriate for all occasions depending on how much you use the trigger.

Its great for layering to add the base and fill out other perfumes. It reminds me of a skeleton of Baruti Chai.I will add the longer it wears the better it gets so do be patient with this one. An excellent addition to my collection

Taliera
Taliera

Exquisite. My Holy Grail sandalwood fragrance. Could live in this! It feels luscious, seductive, sexual and romantic... Includes rose and cacao, but they're secondary to the majesty of the sandalwood. Great longevity and projection! Please never discontinue.

PepperSnowflakes
PepperSnowflakes

Is THIS what Sandelwood smells like?!? I have been avoiding sandelwood, somehow thinking it would be too opaque, buttery. But this is amazing!

I cannot believe how few notes are listed. When I first sprayed this on at the counter, I was sniffing my blotter on and off for the first minutes and literally smelled something different everytime I brought it near my nose. So impressive! First I got rose, then something sharply medicinal, then a moment I couldn't pinpoint, then something bitter, next sniff a very brief and fleeting anis and finally back to a slightly medicinal campferous note.

Now an hour later, the notes have settled down a bit and I see the similarities with Jeux de Peau. However, Santal Majuscule has more clarity to it from the rose. And a slightly bitter powdery edge from the cacao.

I was on the hunt for a spring/summer scent today, but uhoh... I am feeling a very strong need to own this now instead.

RichMitch
RichMitch

I almost bought it out of sheer amazement at how sandalwoody it smells. It really is a dry wood, desiccated almost, only saved by the softening and rounding hint of cacao and then of the drip drip hydrating and uplifting of the damask rose. The cacao, subtle as it is, holds this scent together. Just the 3 notes, nothing wrong with that in my opinion, can work if done properly and this is. Just. There's genius in simplicity etc... That said I wouldn't buy it again, I respect it more than I like it. Like policemen. Struggle to think of a situation where I can hear myself say "By god, this calls for me to smell really strongly of sandalwood!". If you like sandalwood then this is probably one of the best.

Aviance Milan
Aviance Milan

I don't know what some of you are smelling...BUT This Fragrance is AMAZING!!! Love the cacaoa and Rose as it settles it becomes spicy and I love it!!!

Allan R
Allan R

I really disliked this fragrance, until I inexplicably started loving it.

(With Lutens, it's often like that for me : repulsion, followed by confusion, then absolute love. That's how Daim Blond, Borneo 1834 and a few others grew on me.)

I get the similarity with Jeux de Peau, especially during the first minute or so. But then I find that the two fragrances veer off in different directions. Jeux de Peau gets oilier and quickly becomes as pleasant to wear as fried butter. While Santal Majuscule is much less fattening : it loses the stickiness and dries into a really well-balanced woody floral. No pastry there.

The rose, to me, is rather subtle -- I'm not sure I would have guessed which flower this was, to be honest. But I think the floral note is what really lightens up Santal Majuscule. I love it in winter, but I can appreciate it in the warmer months too.

8.5/10

fillifelle
fillifelle

Looking for my holy grail sandalwood perfume. It strikes me as an appropriate way to describe how I feel about sandalwood as i have always associated it with spirituality: as an ingredient in joss sticks, as a paste to anoint the forehead of Hindus, as aromatherapy to deepen meditation,etc.

I'm writing this review as I choose between 2 sandalwood perfumes. SL's Santal Majuscule and CdG's Blue Santal. Both are beautiful sandalwood fragrances but with very different 'accompaniments'. SM is essentially sandalwood & rose. BS is sandalwood & pine. In both cases, the sandalwood shares its presence equally with, and is uplifted by its sister note.

The presence of a loud rose in SM makes it a more heady and robust scent. It's a confident fragrance. Projection is phenomenal, not something you can ignore. It is simultaneously a Hindu temple but with the presence of a bustling market on its doorstep. It is sacred and profane at the same time. It is silk clad aristocratic ladies mingling with the priestesses, each seeing a reflection of themselves in another.

BS, on the other hand, is earthy with its cold wet pine. It sits low and stately in the skin, like a white icy fog of sandalwood hovering above a forest bed of pine needles. It resonates lower in the chakras. It's a cold cavernous Catholic Church in a Nordic forest; it is a grove of sandalwood trees among the coniferous. Both are apparent contradictions but that's exactly what the blue series of CdG aim to achieve, the union of opposites. This mix of warm and cold accords is harmonious. I feel it lightens and cools down the sandalwood such that one can wear this casually without losing its stateliness and spiritual weight. It is the meeting of the priestess with the wood nymph. It is Sacred and wild at the same time. This suffers slightly in terms of projection but I guess it's not meant to be a sillage monster.

Which priestess will you be? :)))

UPDATE: My choice came down to Serge Lutens SM. The elegance underpinning its boldness is irresistible. At first I preferred CdG BS, I felt it was prettier but soon I got bored. Like a quiet girl you find attractive but doesn't hold your interest. SM is a love affair. Standoffish at first, it makes you fall in love with its generous and unapologetic character.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Santal Majuscule has a pleasant scent and is more like a mainstream fragrance than a niche one – it’s very minimalist and don’t brings nothing innovative.

Although in the previous reviews it reveals a great similarity to Jeux de Peau, frankly, I do not see such a resemblance; also the ingredients does not seem to be correctly described - the cocoa, if indeed there is this ingredient, plays a minimal role, whereas the fragrance is characterized mainly by the classic combination of sandalwood with rose.

The rose is the ingredient that serves to sweeten the scent and makes it suitable to be worn by both sexes.

As I said, it's a pleasant fragrance and has a reasonable price, but, in this olphactory category it can not compete with Egoiste, Ambre Nuit or Vanilla Flash.

Santal Majuscule is such a draft composition, a study for a future fragrance development.

Anyway, for those who love sandalwood note, Santal Majuscule, next to Tam Dao EDP from Diptyque (that has, also, a simplistic composition), may be a very good choice because it provides a natural and enjoyable variation of this ingredient.

Fragrance 7/10
Projection Medium
Longevity 10 h

Soofiya
Soofiya

Serge lutens santal majuscule has similarities with other one in this brand,jeux de peau which I own too,but there is a herbal undertone in the latter one that ruins it for me..in absence of that herbal note,all I can smell in SLSM is a very dominant sandalwood,a semi sweet and very creamy and balmy one blended with a very shy rose,and I can detect no cocoa in the beginning,initial phase is not feminine in my book,but gradually,rose comes out of Shadow,playing it's role and isn't shy anymore,it's a spicy rose,a tad powdery,blooming in smooth sandal base and making the scent wearable for me as a female..in third stage,I also can detect cacao..it's not like dark chocolate,or milky chocolate,it's cacao powder(mixed with a small amount of coffee powder),bittersweet and turns overall scent to a semi-gourmand,third stage which is the long-lasting stage on my skin,is more feminine and has nothing to do with jeux de peau
It may seem a very simple fragrance but it's really interesting,I love to observe how notes dance together and this one is multi-layered
Santal majuscule is warm,seductive,soft and deep,not my number one serge lutens but one of the goods
Longevity and projection are very good .. I recommend it to all lovers of these three notes(sandalwood,rose and cacao) to males that don't have any problem with half sweet scents and females that would love a unique,dark and mature gourmand..but if your looking for a rosey scent or a chocolate scent or a woody scent this may let you down,this is a combination of all these,just imagine a creamy sandalwood base with hints of spicy rose and powdered with cacao,each stage,one of the notes comes forth on stage and sings it's song while others whisper in the background and support the sensual rhythm
❤❤❤❤
سرجی لوتنز سنتل مجسکول، روی پوست من سه تا فاز کاملا مجزا و مشخص داره..باوجود اینکه فقط سه نت براش لیست شده چندان عطر ساده ای نیست و درصورتیکه به عطرهای چند لایه ای علاقه مند هستید بررسی رقص این سه نت باهمدیگه میتونه خیلی جذاب باشه
فاز اولیه،فاز حکمرانی صندل هست،صندل نیمه شیرین و کاملا کرمی و بالمی، که به تدریج یه نت رزی خیلی خیلی محو و ملو و خجالتی اون دوردورا شروع به چشمک زدن میکنه،این فاز بنظر من خیلی شباهت داره به ژو د پو از همین برند،فقط بااین تفاوت ک خبری از رایحه گیاهی و شوید مانند ژو د پو نیست و از این لحاظ بشخصه سنتل مجسکول رو ترجیح میدم اما درمجموع هیچ چیز زنانه ای در این فاز اولیه نمی بینم،بنظرم مثل ژو د پو کاملا مردانه هست،مناسب آقایونی ک علاقه به رایحه نرم و بالمی صندل دارن
فاز دوم،رز روی کار میاد..دیگه با یه رز خجالتی طرف نیستیم،رزی کاملا واضح و غالب و کمی هم اسپایسی پودری،ک در بستری نرم از صندل،شروع به عطر افشانی میکنه..این فاز بنظر من یونی هست،چون رز اون حالت لوس و فرش خیلی زنانه نداره و رزی جدی و کمی تیره هست
فاز سوم به رهبری کاکائو شروع میشه و روی پوست من،بخش غالب عمر عطر در همین فاز آخر سپری میشه و بعبارتی درای داون عطر هست..کاکائویی ک اینجا باهاش طرف هستیم اصلا شکلات تلخ و یا شکلات شیری نیست،بیشتر مثل پودر کاکائو هست ک حتی درصد جزیی پودر قهوه هم باهاش مخلوط شده...فاز سوم،درواقع ترکیبی از این پودر کاکائو تلخ و تیره،با کمی رز،در پس زمینه ای خامه ای و شیرین از صندل هست ک اینجا بیشتر شبیه به وانیله، بااینکه خیلی شیرین نیست و فضای کلی تیره ای داره،اما بنظر من کاملا گورماند هست و بیشتر متمایل به زنانگی هست.. البته هنوز هم برای آقایونی براحتی قابل استفاده ست
درمجموع سرجی لوتنز محبوب من نیست اما جزو خوب های این برند هست و عطر جالبیه، پخش و ماندگاری خیلی خوبی داره،البته بمبی نیست اما پخش، با گذر زمان افت نمیکنه و بیشترین پخش عطر،مربوط به فاز سوم اون هست
اگه دنبال یه عطر رز محور،یا یه عطر شکلاتی و خوشمزه یا یه عطر کاملا چوبی هستید احتمالا سنتل مجسکول ناامیدتون کنه..این عطر دقیقا ترکیبی از نت های یاد شده هست و در هر قسمت یکی از نت ها،میاد جلوی صحنه و آواز خودش رو میخونه درحالیکه،دو نت دیگه در پس زمینه با زمزمه همراهیش میکنن،در نتیجه اگه ترکیب باکیفیت و جذابی از سه نت صندل،رز و کاکائو براتون جذاب هست،اون رو بهتون توصیه میکنم

Russian's man
Russian's man

There are occasions in which the famous phrase ''less is more'' by the german architect and industrial designer Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is fulfilled. Only, three notes give a very rich fragrance. Logically, the sandalwood it has a prominent role here. The cacao and rose note provide even more richness to the own richness of sandalwood.

In conclusion, another peculiar fragrance by Serge Lutens with a very romantical/nocturnal vibe. Bravo!!

Scent: 9
Longevity: 8
Projection: 7
Sillage: 7
Uniqueness: 9
Versatility: 6

Overall: 7,66

verasdfghjkl
verasdfghjkl

I'm not quite fond of the opening. It doesn't really come together to my nose yet, due to some bitter sharpness that I wait for to pass. But then the rose opens up a bit more and starts to blend just a little bitof sweetness into the mix. The sandalwood settles down and it becomes creamier while keeping its dryness. It gets a nice powderiness and slight density to it, like a light fluffy, but powdery cloud and the bitterness slowly fades as it settles down on my skin. The more it dries down, the lovelier it gets. With my chemistry, this is one of those perfumes with which I have to get through that first stage before I can truly enjoy it. When it dries down completely, I'm left with a lovely sandalwood that I love to smell. A sandalwood that reminds me of the one in Versace Crystal Noir, only stronger without any of the sweetness of the coconut. It's quite nice.

IndigoEye

This has attracted more enthusiastic compliments than any other scent I have worn. Possible because I have worn it more than lots of scents (but it doesn't come quite top). It is floral, powdery, woody and has a dark chocolate hovering in the background. The limited note pyramid makes it seem much more simple than it really is.

It is not gourmand but there is a cozy aspect to the woods. It is actually quite a "cool" fragrance given that it is based on sandalwood and cocoa - it is quite dark. However, I wear it year round. There is a jasmine-like bloom that comes out in the heat. The longevity is excellent and, as evidenced by the compliments, the sillage is just right.

This will make the cut, I'm pretty sure, into my reduced 'loves only' wardrobe. I have finished my second bottle and, judging by the way I longingly breathed in the scent left on my clothes, a third will be on the horizon.

ConsumerThis

When I first got into this hobby I thought I knew what sandalwood smelled like..looking at the pictures of the smoothe light wood color stick/logs the sandal wood looks to be so creamy and "woody" smelling. That's the smell I get with this scent with a soft unisex rose scent mixed in with a little coca and vanilla to sweeten it up just a tad. Beautiful beautiful composition and it's lasts for about 8 hours on me :)

ConsumerThis

A beautiful soft sandalwood scent...perfect light rose but more creamy soft sandalwood. Love it. I'll buy it.

Sheza
Sheza

This is my kind of rose...its not straight up rose like rosewater or picked from garden rose....first spritz smelled like a spiced rose maybe clove....this dies down and then its very sweet. Im reminded of the sweet taste of glazed donuts or croissants. I get a nutty smooth woodiness in the vein of sandalwood. I feel this is very feminine and for this reason i think a small decant over fb would suit my needs

oktober

Although I think it's one of the greatest sandalwood fragrances on the market, I'm thinking of selling it, because I use it very rarely. It's not my style at all. Reasons:

-The amount of chocolate reminds me of Black Orchid. SM is much better, but still, the chocolate is a bit too much for my taste

-the rose+chocolate combo makes it be romantic. I hate that. I don't like anything romantic, it's deceitful in essence.

-the sandalwood part, at least on my skin, when it reached the middle notes, it gets dusty, and a bit ... cedar-ish. Might be a thing of skin chemistry...

-it's an evening perfume. I wear my sandalwoods during the day. clash here.

-this perfume requires elegant clothes. Like... evening dresses, gowns, stilletos, perfect hairstyle, etc. I think those look clownish. :) Getting the ideea, right? everything in this perfume, although it smells so so good, it's not my style.

Mirabele
Mirabele

i've been wearing this from my sample for a few days and i actually like it. all SL i tested before had a strange mixture of notes that didn't go well together, it was like they were trying to hard to achieve something different, but not in a good way. this is the first SL that i can consider wearing. it opens up as dewy rosy sligthly spicy honeyed sandalwood, then it gets smokier and thick with cacao and it dries down to sweet sandalwood. i like the opening quite a lot, but the middle part is a bit too thick with incence/spicies and the drydown reminds me too much of EL Sensuous. i will be testing it some other times, but at the moment i dont like it enough to buy a bottle or a decant. i still think this one, as many SL fragrances, is a bit too smoky/spicy for a woman and too rosy/floral/sweet for a man. i think also it cahnges too much from the opening to drydown, it is like two different fragrances in one, i like my perfume to have stages but not in that different style though.
it is lovely done sandalwood and i was happy to test it. i love the design of the bottle also. i hope i will love the perfume one day.

Myjulo
Myjulo

Intriguing and slightly sweet (probably a sweet rose?) sandalwood fragrance. Feels very classy. It has a note that makes it smell like it is a little bit off though, this note also smells a bit peppery patchouli which I'm not too fond of.

deja vu-gr
deja vu-gr

A great fragrance with top quality and character. A lovely sandalwood combines perfectly with cacao and rose giving a deep,sensual and seductive aura. Longevity and projection are great on me. I have to say that it moves for sure on the masculine side than feminine,so i suggest to ladies to try before buy. At the end i would like to say a big thanks to my precious fragrantican "Habana 1984" that giveaway to me this wonderful baby.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Santal Majuscule was released in 2012, after other creations made about the sandalwood, which is the central theme of this perfume. In 1997 (according to Wikipedia), Serge Lutens had already released Santal of Mysore and, in 2001, Santal Blanc.

Its name means "uppercase Sandalwood", reinforcing the power and dimension of this note within the creative concept. It's a metaphor, just as we do in Portuguese, when we say: "he was a man with a capital M!". Serge Lutens defines it as: "Sandalwood written in capital letters, full scale and life sized".

Its composition contains notes of rose, tonka bean, rosewood, sandalwood and cocoa. If you like sandalwood, then you will like Santal Majuscule.

On the skin, the rose merges with the Sandalwood brilliantly, giving that aspect of attar from the Middle East. And I love scents that mix roses with woods or spices, such as saffron. That's why, maybe, I found this perfume more masculine in the initial moments. However, if you're a woman and you're reading this review right now, worth the wait a bit, as the fragrance evolves into a semi-gourmand, which leaves aside the rose and go towards a creamy and slightly powder base with a touch of bitter cocoa. It's not chocolate, it's cocoa! But also don't expect the same bitterness of patchouli, for instance. Besides, the Sandalwood has this creamy and sweet aspect and we still have the tonka bean, which gives creaminess to the fragrance.

The projection is very good and the lasting is amazing. It's the kind of perfume that you feel on the skin, even after a shower. And another nice thing is that, contrary to what seems, it can be worn in warmer weather, but sparingly.

Santal Majuscule helps us understand the passion of Serge Lutens for roses and sandalwood.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i have a hit or miss relationship with sandalwood, depending on how it's used, the other notes and the note itself. however, this one seems to be very promising. right off there's a strong sweetness from the cacao, but it calms quickly. then it's sandalwood and florals, not quite reminiscent of rose till after a few seconds, then it is unmistakable. the rose in this is just gorgeous to me. i still don't know if i'll ever wear a lot of sandalwood in general, but this one is particularly gorgeous.

renzi79
renzi79

Im getting sandal and rose, but nothing special. No projection on this one and gone in 2hrs. Its back to Serge's Fille en Aiguilles for a real treat!

ivlia
ivlia

Love at first sight. Never happened to me before! I usually test, test, test and wait till the fragrance grows on me, or blindbuy (with different results). For SM I did a few crazy things, just like you are supposed to do with a real coup de foudre! :)

I smelled it from the bottle in a store and a second later I was paying for it (even though I was kind of broke). Since it was on a day when I was also pretending to be on a fragrance detox, I bought it for my husband. We all lie for love, don't we? :)

The smell is rich, full, creamy. Makes me think of a beautiful box of chocolates, or maybe cherries in chocolate. The cocoa and the sandalwood are a bit dark, very sophisticated; the rose is the cherry - gives an ultimate twist to the whole.

A masterpiece.

darksome
darksome

Santal Majuscule has many lovers out there. Partly I really understand why. It's a crisp, peppery, creamy sandalwood fragrance with an earthy, warm cacao base. The rose gives the whole composition some class, a cold aura, and prevents the cacao to smell too foody. Overall the scent is peppery, creamy sweet, but cold, which gives the perfume a unique feel.

Funny is, that the peppery and cold notes reminds me sometimes on Versace's Crystal Noir.

What bothers me is that the sandalwood sometimes smells sour. Like pickles? Maybe it's the rose, but I think it's the quality of the sandalwood, which was also mentioned somewhere on fragrantica.

Overall I do like to wear SM, it's just the sour note that prevents me to wear it more often.

redeemer
redeemer

Very reach, unique combination of sandalwood, rose and dark cocoa powder, but not sweet or gourmand. Simple but great, especially for elegant nights out. Above average longevity and nice silage. One of my favourites from SL.

phanhtofu
phanhtofu

A beautiful, creamy and smooth blend of Sandalwood and cacao. Do I love it? Yes, very much!
Thank you very much for this wonderful fragrance, SL

mirianacellier
mirianacellier

Another all-time-favourite for me; I can wear it until the end of my life! A very strong sillage of sandalwood, with a great touch of rose. Although I'm not a big fan of sandalwood, I love it, because it leaves a different scent than any other sandalwood based perfume. Its longevity is great, perfect choice for leaving the mark of your scent on the pillows :)

weasley
weasley

I was looking for a chocolate rose, but this was not what I expected.

I feel like I've gotten to know sandalwood quite well over time, and rose and cacao are some of my favorites, but I can't detect any of those three notes in this perfume. I just smell something sour and smoke, and the same dry bread note that Jeux de peau has, which makes me nauseous.

I have found with other Serge lutens that I need multiple wears to really appreciate them, but this is just not growing on me, and giving this more time feels like too much of a challenge.

Not for me, but if you like Jeux de Peau you might like this one.

gelo999
gelo999

Santal Majuscule is like a dream, out of a romantic scene.

Warm and deep, where the main protagonist is a bright and pleasant sandalwood wrapped in cocoa powder and a pinch of pink completes the scene. It's like when you give away a bunch of roses with a box of chocolates but this time the gift is for your own skin.

Good length and wake is a perfect fragrance for cold winters, rainy days and nights out.
Completely unisex, with a good overall quality, I recommend it for fans of sandalwood.

Worth paying the price !!

Very good fragrance !!

Rating: 7.5

cedlong
cedlong

A hideously ugly fragrance. Artificial, rubbery and without a trace of sandalwood. The most dominant note is chemical rose. If I bought toilet cleaner that smelled like this I'd not use it.

Lisilou
Lisilou

Beautiful scent. The opening is heavenly. The drydown is all wood, the delicate, genuine smell of real Indian sandalwood. I am not picking up any rose at all. It is all dry wood to me. Love it. I would like for it to have been a little heavier, but it is FB worthy for something linear, understated and very elegant.

fragranstein
fragranstein

Ağır olduğunu düşünürken yaz sıcaklarında bile kullanabildiğim bir parfüm haline geldi Santal Majuscule. Açılışta odunumsu tatlı kakao ile başlayan parfüm devamında pudramsı havada devam ediyor ve tenden bu şekilde ayrılıyor. Tatlımsı kokuları seven ama vanilya ağırlığından uzak duranlar için ideal bir parfüm olduğunu düşünüyorum. Hanımlardan çok beylere daha çok yakıştığını söyleyebilirim. Ayrıca 25 yaş altı genç arkadaşların kullanmasını önermiyorum. 25 yaş üstü beyefendiler için daha uygun olacaktır kanısındayım.

drlaurel
drlaurel

Opening is interesting, complex, i can't place any of the notes listed, yet I can't find others. I'm getting some gourmand on the rise, rose is moving in at about three minutes. Gourmand is fading a bit, sharp is vying for the sweet spot. Rose rose rose but not typical rose…maybe that's what damask means? I don't know damask well but it's a sharper spicer smokier rose maybe? Help me out here on damask. I'm not getting wooden sandals anywhere…yet. Drying down to something woody and sweet but I;ve probably burnt my sandalwood sniffers out on big hitters like Dolce vita and tam dao. Gourmand is a good descriptive, steer clear if you have probs with gourmand. I can tolerate a few but not many. Still, I'm intrigued by the complexity of this scent. Beautiful for the right person whose nose migrates toward picking pieces of the puzzle apart. I like to stop picking out the pieces by dry down and be left with some more linear accords of the base notes. Maybe if I got it on sale I'd go for it but there's too many lovelies that grab me more including the 6 l'amoureux on my other arm, far more smoky and sandally and lightly sweetened. Ahhhh here's that rose again. A complex one. If you like a rose of a different name you will dig it. And i must agree with others ZERO pero ZERO chocolate. Maybe i'll hit on the Santal Mysore to get a little piece of this and that.

ddadam
ddadam

This is like Indian Rose Sherbat. But sandalwood,...?

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

I am in love. A beautiful fragrance, creamy, feminine, I only wish it was louder or lasted longer, as it would have made such a great statement/signature fragrance. Its such a lovely alternative to loud and gourmand mainstream scents, that claim to be 'sexy', this one is just like Christina Hendricks in the world of Mad Men - one bat of an eye and she beats them all with her true sex appeal. Forget about the immature, ultra thin copy cats!

It does not remind me of Jeux de Peau, which is a lot sweeter, with heavy wheat and milk notes. Wonderful for fall, winter and summer evenings. Great for dates, to be worn with your finest scarves and jewellery :)

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

Rich, toasty, and velvety. Creamy and musty sandalwood with heaps of warm earthy cocoa and a touch of rose.

This makes for an interesting combination of masculine, feminine, elegant, casual, and while your trying to figure it all out you become addicted, oh that chocolate! Yet you don't know straight away that cocoa is in it. It is not a sweet candy praline chocolate. The hint of cocoa adds a bit of mystery, like seeing a person and being attracted to them but cant place your finger on exactly what it is that makes them so. The sandalwood adds in the down to earth qualities which is a sought out quality in many people; The sandalwood is strong, supportive, it is the main character in this fragrance yet it is not obnoxious and brash like many star notes tend to do. Sandalwood here is calming and smooth. Quite a handsome note I must say! The rose gives us the hint of sweetness, softness, touch of femininity, class, and the physical attraction that we are all drawn to in people.This fragrance also makes me imagine all things in beige and brown colors with accents of rosegold. In any case, a person wearing this fragrance, is a person i'd like to meet! Wonderful fragrance from Serge Lutens.

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ A review in rhyme ....

Sweet Serge Luten's Santal Majuscule ~
Your pure sandalwood notes are smooth and magical ~
Your boozy rose freshly bloomed dewy on the vine ~
Songs of praise from those who know you so divine ~
A hint of powdery bitter creamy cocoa almost gourmand ~
With a sip of red wine you carry me away to where I belong ~
Yes, you are an olfactory eloquent masterpiece in your design ~
You have captured a scent of artistic genius that will stand the test of time ~

Kind Regards, Plat ~

AnaIli35
AnaIli35

I so want to smell the lovely cacao and roses, but this fragrance is all sandalwood, all the time. I enjoy sandalwood (and yes, I realize it is called Santal Majuscule, not Santal Gourmand, or whatever) but I like it in harmony with other elements, not as the only focus. Linear (seemingly unusual for a SL) and unrelentingly masculine on my skin; sorry, this one's a scrubber for me.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

What an unusual scent. Serge Lutens creates a very simple perfume that smells quite complex, delicious and sophisticated. I think that this one would be perfect for the autumn.

Santal Majescule, or 'Capital Sandalwood' implies a wonderfully rich and full-bodied fragrance, and on my skin, this perfume is definitely that. There's a very beautiful, earthy and luscious sandalwood tinged with the cacao, that gives a kind of sweet warm spiciness and when combined with the cleanness of the rose it certainly makes for a very mysterious, seductive and addictive scent.

Longevity is for at least 8-9 hours; sillage about soft to moderate.

alittleofeverything
alittleofeverything

To quite the delectable ms. Lawrence in American Hustle (although she is talking about the scent of her nail polish); "It's perfumey, but there's also something.. rotten? And I know it sounds crazy, but I can't get enough of it".

That's pretty much my reaction to Santal Majuscule. The first blast of rose is wonderfully fresh, but then it turns a teeeny tiny bit rotten. Sweet with a slightly "off" edge.

So much has been said about this perfume that there's little for me to add. I find the to be scent mostly about roses and cacao, with the sandalwood barely stopping by to say hi for the sake of pretense. But I absolutely can't ever get enough of it.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

My sandalwood, definitely.

Begins with an explosion of senses with a blast of aldehydes, then turns progressively into a delightfull CREAMY sandalwood. Comforting, intimist.
I do not find it sweet, i do not understand people who find this sugary. Santal lovers may find it not santal enough, i think it's the best balanced of many.

Classy and really beautiful santal.

oktober

this is sandalwood and chocolate. sharp chocolat noir. Aaand roses, but not as much. Very simple composition, but it works swell.

Good sandalwood for evening and for more elegant clothes.

Later edit: the more I wear it, the more I like it. This is the most amazing "santal pour le soir"... and I was wrong at first about it's lack of complexity. It has many facets, so complex it reminds me a bit of tom ford black orchid. The sandalwood is so fine!

magda14012
magda14012

This is delightful. I cannot stop sniffing my wrists. Beautiful piece. Cosy, simple and softly sweet. I do not get the fresh roses here, rather high quality roses jam from Waitrose;). Dark cocoa and natural sandalwood.
It took me a while but recognized, that in fact the roses I can smell here are captured in a form of Turkish delight....

Q80
Q80

wow! is this really the Santal Majuscule that i just have tested? it's calming, sexual, and eatable. Sandalwood, Turkish & Bulgarian roses with a hint of light scented assorted chocolate. with that awful top note, i never expected that the middle and base notes would smell this perfect! i gave it a real good time to calm down cause i already have a great experience with Serge Lutens top notes. give it more time to calm down then you'll realize the magic it brings.
i really wonder how on earth would Jeux De Peau would smell like this fragrance here! you guys serious about that?

Animadomino
Animadomino

I had always wished Serge Lutens had something chocolatey among his creations and now I found out he does! Thanks to the milkiness of the sandalwood the cocoa gets a creamy, buttery quality... heavenly. A very emotional scent to me, maybe because the rose-note evokes memories of soap and lotions from childhood days. The scent is so creamy it almost seems to make my skin softer where I spray it.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

First for me smell like Cherugi , next coming fresh rose , very fruit note like on some fragrance from Dior or Lancome, Cartier in 1990 ? , I dont remember :). End of this scent is similar to Arlesienne L`Occitane en Provence .
For me nothing like JdPeau from Lutens. :)

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

Me and my mom have both wore this perfume to try it out today, and overall it's my second time trying it.
I think it does smell like jeux de peau, which is so strange because the notes are so different. I think it smells better than jeux de peau though, because it's less harsh and more soft. The wood in here is very strong to me and I get a dry dusted non-sweetened cacao. The rose isn't very sweet either to me, I thought of tea rose. I'm not finding anything about this fragrance particularly edible smelling.
My mom adores sandalwood fragrances and isn't shy of it being masculine. I love chocolate roses and don't mind sandalwood. My mom likes chocolate and roses too. Still, we both did not like this fragrance much. I think what is really important in here is how the notes interact with one another, because their interaction to me is a much different smell than being able to pick up the 3 notes separately. The combination is warm, burnt, and nutty.
I appreciated being able to try the fragrance, but it wasn't for either of us it seems.

Odelia
Odelia

So...after a few days of testing...I have mixed feelings. I really like it, almost falling in love with it. Only two things bother me: silage (almost a skin scent...i don't mind reapplying, I mind reapplying with no results:P) and the too loud rose. Wish It was more sandalwood, same cacao and less rose. But, all in all, very unique scent, a bit woody a bit gourmand, nothing I've smelled before.

ippo_
ippo_

A lot of the reviews below state that this frag is a disappointment, obviously I don't agree. It really is a beautiful scent and people seem to really respond, in a good way, to me when I wear this. It's true it is a little gourmand-y, but what I do in this case is to layer. I've found that if I put down a base of montale's dark aoud and spray santal majuscule over top I get a solid and complete sandalwood scent. For a little extra umph I use an unscented lotion on my skin before I do any spraying. Bottom line is, this is a good scent by itself and FBW for the fact that it can enhance nearly any other frag, especially one with a prominent wood note. LOVE IT.

Roge'
Roge'

For a woman: I guess this is what R&B singer Miguel was talking about when he mentioned that he wants to taste your skin. Santal Majuscule smells so dainty, that it will make any unattractive girl seemingly beautiful. I don't think it's possible for a woman to dislike this fragrance.

For a man: Pure Gut Check. IF you can pull this off(and I do mean IF), this is like Sex in broad daylight. Don't dismiss the feather like quality; for it is like a luxurious duvet on your skin.

Aveilhe said, "This is a must try for sandlewood lovers." This is a must try for lovers..PERIOD!!

Words that comes to mind: Swagger, Character and Confidence.

dsty
dsty

I've had a decant of Santal Majuscule for a couple of months now, and although I've liked it since the beginning, it's still growing on me and has really come into its own now that autumn is here.
It's definitely a sibling of my favourite Jeux de Peau: they're both warm, woody and slightly spicy, sweet and comforting without being in the least childish or cloying or boring. Both are perfect for colder weather, especially when some emotional support is needed. At the same time, they're very different; Santal Majuscule has the accent more on woody notes, and is slightly dry or even dusty, while Jeux de Peau is very much a gourmand.

So I like it very much, and think I'll grow to love it as I use up my decant. The proof: this morning I was so happy when I was going to work on the train, reading a book and regularly catching little waves of Santal Majuscule. If a perfume can do that, create these little moments of beauty and happiness in everyday life, it's definitely a keeper...

aveilhe
aveilhe

Sandalwood + Cocoa + Rose = What could be better???
This is one of the most gorgeous sandalwood scents I've had the pleasure of wearing. In fact, it is goes head-to-head with Chanel's Bois des Iles for me! The natural creamy sweetness of Mysore sandalwood is amplified by the cocoa note. The rose is such a surprise here, and is an equal contendor for the star of the show. Somehow, SM manages to NOT be subtly blended in the sense that I can smell all three of the primary listed ingredients very individually. But this isn't a bad thing -- in fact, it's fascinating to catch whiffs of rose one moment, cocoa the next, then sandalwood, etc. This does have that famous SL spice accord in it (despite not being listed on the official ingredients), but it is soft and understated, simply whispering in the background. A must-try for sandalwood lovers!

riverbank
riverbank

This is a magic perfume for me that takes away all worries and woes and transports me for up to eight hours into an Oriental dream. There is the scent of Sandalwood but there is a trace of roses too. I can imagine myself sitting at a carved sandalwood desk with the light of the moon coming in through the open window from where the coolness of the evening has raised a whisper of scent from the rose garden outside. Music, poetry - they are all captured in this perfume bottle, like a Genie waiting to be released. This isn't a perfume that I would wear for someone else; it is only for me.

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

Il mio Lutens preferito, stupenda combinazione sandalo/rosa/cacao...
Un sandalo meraviglioso. Profumo senza tempo, capolavoro, portabilissimo anche d'estate.
Comfort-perfume.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

(Thanks to @indigoeye for generous decant!:)

The sweet/balsamic first blast of Santa Majuscule reminds me very much of immortelle, the toasty/sweet plant that reminds some people of maple syrup with its burnt caramel undertone.

I really like this perfume as it develops, though the first blast smells like an exotic bakery which I'm not sure I like, it's so sweet and gourmand. You'll maybe love this stage though if you are a gourmand fan!

As it dries down though it's more about sandalwood and rose, and since I had some real powdered Mysore sandalwood (finished now sadly) I can tell you that it has a similar sour/milky/nutty/sweet scent, though it may be that the notes surrounding sandalwood here are giving that impression since they say Mysore sandalwood is restricted

Other than smelling cocoa and chocolate I haven't even seen the basic cacao pod before so I've no idea how that smells, but I don't get too much chocolate here except for the first half hour of the scent which could remind you of maple syrup-laced cocoa.

The rose is there in a fresh dewy way, slightly sour, which maybe accounts for the idea of the slight sweet/sourness of sandlwood, or blends with it? (when I say sour, sanalwood reminds me of the slightly sour/milky scent of fresh yoghurt)

Anyway, this all adds up to a perfume that I can almost imagine emanating from oriental golden embroidered cushions, on top of which a bejewelled Borghese may have reclined, after he or she has just spilled some sweet date liqueur of some sort onto the cushions! Sandalwood was popular in 15th and 16th century Italy, though its home was India, but somehow I didn't 'see' India when sniffing this perfume so much, maybe an Indian grocery selling sticky Gulab Jamun and sandwood incense, but not an ancient Hindu temple priestess meditating under a sandalwood tree, probably because it's so sweet it doesn't smell quite natural

But oddly enough it also feels completely contemporary to me too, like a perfume someone very relaxed with warm colouring might wear, I picture a contemporary jazz musician, or an alternative therapist who runs some kind of spa somwehere warm.

I like it once the sweetness fades, but I'm a bit anti-sweet so if you don't mind sweetness you'll probably really enjoy SM all the way through. To compare, I'd say it's a bit sweeter than Havana Vanille but its far dry down is less sweet than HV

Moderate sillage, good longevity. It really suited my sister who has warmer colouring than me (also it was definitely less sweet on her skin and more soft sandalwood) but I'd wear this to feel relaxed on any day, most will enjoy the aroma so it's probably a crowd pleaser and it would be nice year round, I think

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

Santal Majuscule is a dusty, sharp, slightly sweet sandalwood. There's a dry current of cocoa powder underneath, and the slightest bit of green, juicy rose underneath. It's a little dark, a little mysterious, a little unusual, and a little romantic. This would probably smell ah-MAZ-ing on a man. It's a great fall or casual evening scent for those who don't care for sweet things. Another great Lutens to enjoy! It's like a more feminine version of Diptyque's Tam Dao.

Nosy_Thoughts
Nosy_Thoughts

There are clear similarities but still, I'd pick this over JdP and Santal Blac. The amped up rose made all the difference. SUBLIME!

keiserkarel
keiserkarel

dreamy fragrance! a cool soothing aroma of sandalwood....bittersweet cacao powder....and dewy fresh rose....
it works well in warm weather too.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Nice resinous opening, sticky and velvety on a somptuous, dense sandalwood note, with cocoa notes and an overall hint of "oiliness" – one of Lutens' signature features (and the one I enjoy the least, to be honest). It has a deeply nostalgic and romantic note which I can not figure out clearly, a floral, really classic accord, perhaps violet. Must say this is probably my personal favorite among Lutens' "Santal" range. Majuscule shows an ethereal, graceful, powdery floral note which I really enjoy a lot, and which enlightens and makes the whole blend irresistibly gentle and pleasant – so finally, the "syrupy" personality which I could not come to like in Mysore, is a bit more restrained here. The sandalwood is treated in a really bright and pleasant way, it has not a fixed shape but it's rather wrapped in a "web" made of several notes and accords that enhance and enlighten all its facets. So the sandalwood is kind of anywhere, and nowhere at the same time, it's a really nice structure, the flowers, the resins, the spices interplay with the nuances and the facets of sandalwood, emphasizing or contrasting them. Speaking of "smell" itself it's basically a less sweet, less syrupy Santal de Mysore, with on the contrary, some more earthy and darker echoes. After a while it progressively dries, and the sandalwood emerges in a more compact shape, still dense and resinous and of course beautifully aromatic. The floral notes vanish and it all turns into a woody, warm, still a bit sticky scent, with a dusty hint of tobacco. I bet Josh Lobb of Slumberhouse quite liked this one. Personally my ideal cup of tea when it comes to sandalwood is still more on the Santal Noble side, more masculine, simple, dry, still soft and plushy but a bit more "classic" and traditional and as less syrupy as possible, but Santal Majuscule is surely one of the nicest and most fascinating interpretations of this theme on the market.

7,5-8/10

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Wow was my first impression of this gorgeous fragrance from Serge Lutens. It opens with a totally captivating beautiful rose note blended in with soft sandalwood. Throughout you can pickup hints of powdery cocoa though the rose dominants.

What I love about the rose here is that it's very bright and a little sweet and almost fruity smelling. Very addictive I must say.

The longevity and projection are very good with this one. This is a very beautiful romantic fragrance that smells absolutely great.

pycolo
pycolo

I just love it!!!! As much as Chergui, even more.
Hard to wear it now as it's warm, but still you can go with this on a colder spring night.

IndigoEye

This has a good sandalwood, although not Mysore, I wouldn't have said, and is a good balance between not too dry and not too creamy. Despite the name, this is as much a rose scent, though. Not a fluffy rose, but a wet one. As others have pointed out, there is something a little slippery about the rose leaves, a little black or blue. And speaking of black and blue, there is something bruised about the perfume.
It is wood, it is rose, it is dark and it is complex, but although all this should be making me excited, I'm not sure that I have smelt good whilst wearing it. It is not an inviting fragrance; I've worn and loved some cold and aloof numbers, but the message I get from Santal Majuscule is different. It isn't uninterested or haughty, just bruised and seething.
I think if I wanted a rose fragrance from SL, I'd go for La Fille de Berlin, and if I wanted wood, well, you're spoilt for choice. This offers a dark quality that would suit certain (evening, probably) events well, but would not be my choice for every day.

klaaon
klaaon

I think I found my favourite SL, or at least my favourite at the moment... it is a comforting complex scent, and absolutely wearable (unlike some of the other SL).

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

When I first sprayed Santal Majuscule on my wrist, it reminded me of a fall day, chilly and hanging out with friend next to a fire place. It definitely smells very boozy and cozy. It is very well blended and I love it. I don't know if I can pull off wearing it here in Florida. With the intense heat we get maybe I can wear it at night. Definitely not a day fragrance IMO. It is definitely one of my favorite Serge Lutens.

Jitterbug
Jitterbug

When you smell the "blue note" in here you absolutely fall in love...

The fact there is something blue in here is sure proof that in art the whole is greater than it's parts. Enjoy it if it is made for you :)

raw umber
raw umber

Santal Majuscule is NOT primarily sandalwood. It's a dark and boozy, almost wine-like sour rose fragrance, with a mildly sweet, woody incense-cocoa base. Take a huge pile of big red rose heads that are wilted and beginning to ferment into a heap of rose compost; a tart pungent and somewhat bitter smell. THEN, take a fist-full of slightly sweet sandalwood-inspired incense and macerate the roses together with the incense.

There is a distinct friction in this scent, and I think that it is the thing that made me need to test it like 100 times before reviewing it. I think it happens because of the cocoa (which does NOT register as cocoa per se, just as the sandalwood does not come across as straight sandalwood).

I also believe it is related to the slippery almost slimy texture of the fermented rose petals against the course sawdust-like feeling of the incense. "A scent for a lady vampire" as my friend Vie Cafe once suggested. Not a glamorous and impeccable movie vampire. A real one.

The sour roses are big and in front at the opening, but in the dry down they fade behind the woody incense. This happens fairly quickly because the longevity is poor though I don't really mind that about it.

It is sweet and sour, cool and warm. It is bracing and addictive and very weird. Only Lutens could take the three notes listed and create something so somber and tragic. Those two adjectives spring to mind every time. I love it.

pravda48
pravda48

(blind testing) I could've SWORN there was something apricot and something caramel in here! I was guessing licorice due to the warmth (gentle warm spice though, not strong licorice). It is indeed very close to Jeux and also reminds me a lot of Aomassai in the opening! Amazed there are only supposedly those 3 notes? My nose doesn't buy it ;)

It's warm, pleasant, gently inviting... but I prefer the other 2 I mentioned :)

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

So I got Santal Majuscule as a swap (thanks Carlos!).

When I got it in a nice a little postal package, I was coming down with a cold. So here is my first review -- to be followed by the cold-free second one:
---
With cold

Now, I just started a cold (damn) so my sense of smell is definitely lacking... But from my limited olfactory perception, this is wonderful.

A dry wood smell, definitely Santal. I know there is not incense, but somehow it still reminds me of church.

I don't really get much of the roses, except for making the dry down somewhat softer and fuller.

It may be about skin chemistry. On me, dominant notes just get that much more dominant... If it's sweet, it will be sweeter, if it's spices, it will be spicier, and so on. Santal Majuscule -- being about wood -- is all wood on me, but is actually proving somewhat restrained in that respect. Not as soft as as Tam Dao (by Dyptique), but certainly very enticing.

It is supposed to be unisex but I find it on the masculine side. However, on winter months (as we have now, with one winter storm after another), it's a very grounding, calming, warm yet somehow clean smell. I can certainly see myself wearing this when enjoying winter sports. It just seems perfect in reminding one of a metaphorical fireplace!

---
Without a cold

Ah! I now get the rose. It's pretty amazing how a cold impairs certain sense buds. Truly an experience in olfactory capacity.

So, now that my nose has fully recovered, what do I think?

I have been wearing this for the past three days. And that's after trying it for two days on my hand before. IT IS LOVE.

The opening starts with sandalwood and a slight tinge of rose. And then it develops into pure perfection of a zen balance of sandalwood and rose, sustained by a grounding, but almost imperceptible cocoa base. It is all restrained, yet warm and whisper sexy.

The dry down is pure magnificence. The rose is subdued yet very present, the sandalwood soft and warm and the cocoa provides the dry, oh so slightly gourmand, backbone.

An understated masterpiece. And one of my new all time favourites.

Miss_Nicole
Miss_Nicole

So I finally got my hands on a nice decant of Santal Majuscule. I do enjoy and like this frag but it's not my favorite from this house.
This fragrance opens with a very earthy, humid, opaque sandalwood note coupled together with some fresh rose (which is a light almost transparent rose) and very dry/raw cacao. My analogy for the rose in this fragrance is if you took a rose (stem and all) and you picked each petal off and placed them with stem in a boiling pot of water. After about 10 minutes you remove all the petals and stem and the aroma you're left with is a soft, little bit green, dewy but subtle rose scent. It's pleasant and not overtly dramatic but has its own little niche in this frag. The sandalwood and rose do play together harmoniously in this blend.

Somewhere from the opening to the mid the cacao morphs into a syrupy almost boozy like confectionary delight. It's sweet but no where near headache inducing /teeth rotting sweet. I also get a bit of some spice and a little tinge of a milky/creamy note (I assume spice and milky tones may be contributed by the tonka.)
At the base of this composition it transforms into soft rose, sandalwood (which seems to be the head honcho in this composition), a little sliver of sweetness/creaminess from the tonka and a very petite spice note as well. It stays this way for the duration of the frags life.

As far as the elephant in the room, yes this frag does share similarities between itself and Jeux De Peau but, Santal Majuscule has its own attributes that sets itself apart as well.

The longevity and projection are what hinder this fragrance quite a bit. I don't mind skin scents but this dissipates within 2 1/2 - 3 hours tops. I feel like I'm rushed through the layers of this frag and just when I settle down and enjoy the first phase, it's gone and the next takes over. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion there's a time and place for beastly frags and I don't mind reapplying but I want at least a good 4 - 4 1/2 hours and sadly this fell short in that department. Of course this is my experience and how the fragrance preforms and reacts with my skin so you might get excellent performance and longevity. This is why I always say reviews are great at seeing what other peoples opinions are but unless you try it for yourself you can't know how a frag will perform. As far as season, this can be worn day and/or nighttime but is at it's peak if worn in fall/winter.

So all in all Santal Majuscule is worth a sample, and I do appreciate the blend and its compositional nature but it just doesn't quite make the cut in my top 3 favorite Lutens.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

Santal Majuscle is seriously a great contender for being my favorite sandalwood fragrance. This fragrance was love at first sniff for me, which rarely happens for me. Another reviewer below mentioned this fragrance really is equally balanced between rose and sandalwood and I have to agree with that. The rose is slightly powdery yet soft like velvet. Sandalwood is here is smooth and fragrant, but not quite creamy. There is a tiny bit of spice thrown into mix which makes me think that they might have used a spiced cacao blend in Santal Majuscle. The sillage is not too bad for the first hour or so, but it does eventually become a sensual skin scent. The longevity is about average as well. It falls in the category of being easy to wear, which is a quality I enjoy about it. However, it is very unique to my nose which is what I really love about. Its a great scent for sandalwood and rose lovers. Luckily I love these notes so for me this fragrance is quite a treat.

hadassa
hadassa

For years I thought that Serge Lutens is not for me. After a number of his perfumes that had some borderline unpleasant undertone on my skin, typically Lutens I thought, because I have never experienced it with any perfume, I just decided we are not meant for each other. I won't lie, I still don't find many of Lutenses dreadfully appealing for me.

However...
I have always found Louve and Un Bois Vanille to be wonderful works (and inoffensive, and probably boring for die hard Lutens fans). And the Berlin girl, oh, she is so soft and dreamy, a velvety rose, right down my alley.

But these were not the perfumes that won me over.
The one for me is Santal Majuscule.

It came as a surprise, because I had heard "disappointment" and "stale" or "flat" about this one. For some reason, I tried it. Oh.

I love these moments of instant infatuation... They are so rare, it almost never happens.

This perfume is heavenly. It certainly IS mainly sandalwood, but it is somehow multilayer, multilevel, multifaceted. It plays on the skin, it sings.

I feel a great deal of rose, and a hint of chocolate. The rose creates a fresh edge, and the cocoa note makes it dark velvety. And this sandalwood... it is dreadfully, exceedingly attractive to me. Say hello to another new SL convert here. I'm in love!

GUTB
GUTB

An intriguing blend of Sandalwood sweetened by cacao and rose. I may have considered a full bottle if it weren't for these problems:

- Terrible longevity. After 2 hours it's all but gone.
- Awful projection. After an hour or so the potent top notes disappear and whats left smells quite nice, but it's stuck very close to the skin.

My skin does not like to hang on to perfumes; perhaps more forgiving skin chemistry will get more longevity out of this fragrance, but I urge anyone considering this or any Serge Lutens perfumes to search the Internet for performance issues as I am apparently not the only one with these problems. Also, I'm be very frank -- premium, potent EDPs from more expensive brands almost universally last longer on my skin. I was hoping for more from this fragrance, being an EDP and a niche product, although priced very reasonably compared to many others I've sampled.

paranoidandroid
paranoidandroid

The ending is a quotation from Fleur d'Oranger, no matter what anyone says. Animalic, fresh & floral orange blossom. Rose floats as a layer above that. The santal is a sexy & erotic wood element that ebbs and flows over the development of the fragrance. I am surprised that few have noted the strong saffron note contributing to the mid-eastern attar like feel. I get no cocoa- but I admit, I must be anosmic to this note - as I can't smell it in borneo either.

osiris5
osiris5

This is so nice.
When I sprayed it at first on my skin, it opened with a very sweet scent while i expected a woody scent. Yes it is mysterious.
At first you smell a very flowery sweet scent with in the middle a creamy cacao. In the dry down to the end y smell a really delicious sandalwood. In a way it behaves as an EdP.
This is a very nice perfume with great class.
It is really a masterpiece.

Germany
Germany

This is a great sandalwood , I smell equal parts rose and sandalwood with a little cacao peeking through , the dry down is fantastic creamy sandalwood slightly freshened and sweetened by the rose. I really love this one. It's also very different.

Sandalwood much softened by not tasty cacao. Not catchy(

danieq
danieq

Opens with a strong combo of the Sandalwood and the cacao. But I was surprised by the appearance of the rose in the drydown. I did look at the notes, but it hadn't registered, but as I smelled it later, it's almost pure rose in the end. Completely and pleasantly unexpected. I'll be needing a bottle of this. Love that it moves through these stages in such a clean manner.

Couldn't make my mind up about this at first?
I thought it was too feminine for me...something about the way the rose interacted with the sandlewood.
Despite this I persevered and as I smell deeper, the rose settles and what do you know? there's a definite bitterness of cocoa coming through.
It's a brilliant combination and actually grew on me to the point where I think it's brave and suitable for me to wear...Just don't know where and if I ever would?
This is lovely juice though a really good composition.

hermyonee
hermyonee

the first impression I get from this is like a very sweet, rich golden wine, a Montbazillac or Sauterne kind of wine, that blends perfectly with the bitterness of cocoa powder, dark & dry, then the fragrance gets richer, and warms into a very dense, creamy pure sandalwood, where the rose & cocoa notes are only there to highlight the many facets of sandalwood. it evolves nicely, quite linear, warming up slowly, i don't get any burned notes, nor anything sweet either; lasting power it's just huge like all SL, worth the price, for sure! Perfect for fall-winter, maybe too dense for spring summer.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I am a newcomer to sandalwood as taking center stage in a perfume; usually it's a base note that helps anchor a fragrance, for me. I ordered this without having tried it first, upon the recommendation of a friend who loves this fragrance and also from the comments here. My bottle arrived today and I've been wearing it for about two hours. This is...an education! First of all, I have decided to dab it on, instead of use the atomizer, as dabbing it makes it last longer on me than if I spray it. Second...I realized that I have no idea what sandalwood truly smells like, since it is usually supporting other scents in a fragrance, for me. This is very clean to me, like a razor sharp sword gleaming in the sunlight. I think I'm smelling sandalwood, mostly. I think the other notes are there, but they are very, very subtle, and they are supporting the sandalwood. I recently bought (and was gifted with, as well) some other beautiful fragrances, two of which have oud in a prominent role (and now I'm an oud girl) and my soul says to me when I apply them: "Look no further." I felt silly not really knowing what "sandalwood" actually smelled like! This one, the Santal Majuscule, emits a very different frequency! It is like when I smell (for example) Creed's Royal Oud, I see a magnificent (and very hungry) Bengal tiger. When I smell Santal Majuscule, I see an ancient Egyptian desert fox, who can blend in with the sand dunes or the sunset, present yet elusive. The longer I wear this, the sweeter it becomes, I think it's the cocoa and the rose, balancing each other (actually, the cocoa more than the rose, at least for me)? The sweetness is very subtle, however, they primarily support the sandalwood. This scent makes me think of a bonfire at the beach plus an Indian temple with burning incense, all contained in one bottle! I'm not a sandalwood expert, but I think I started off well? I used to wear all kinds of floral scents, and have wanted to step out of that rut for a long time. I'm glad that I finally did! Santal Majuscule doesn't overwhelm me, it doesn't vanish, it is not too sweet and it's also not "girrrl, you smell like your house burned down"!!! It works with my chemistry. I like this perfume. I'm glad that I took the chance and purchased it (and I also think I was lucky with this one, too). I have placed the desert fox next to the tiger, on my dressing table!

blane0734
blane0734

I loved this one from the start. This is pretty strong and it gives me a headache from time to time, but the notes are amazing.
You get a very strong sandalwood from the start and little bits of cacao and rose sneaks up from time to time.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Vie Cafe, you cleaver little thing! Thanks to you I am over the Moon with Santal Majuscule in hand. You nailed it on the head when you recommended me this stunning bottle of beauty! Unbelievable!! I cannot get over the magic these three notes create! Initially I get a blast of powdered cocoa as if it's been sprinkled on my skin. Lovely. Then, rose and sandalwood intertwine and take over for a while. Amazing sandalwood and the rose is far from stuffy! I swear this is the true smell of sandalwood. I have never experienced true Mysore sandalwood but from what I do know about it, I'd say this is very close to the real deal! These two notes stick around for quite some time, hand in hand accentuating one another. All the while cocoa hangs out in the background minding his own business but he never leaves the scene. By the middle phase, all three notes are in solid rhythm. Once this baby dries down the cocoa comes back for another appearance, only this time it's morphed a little bit. By now, the cocoa isn't that dusty cocoa powder as it was in the beginning. It's like it got wet and blended in with sandalwood, creating the essence of milk chocolate! In just a days time SM skyrocketed to my top five list! It may even be my top choice of the moment. And may I add, longevity is
just perfect! It keeps going at an even pace for hours and even toward dry down the whole thing is still in tact. You're never left with just one note. This has been my very first experience with SL (and I'll admit I was nervous to try this), but I gladly report that this has exceeded my expectations above and beyond! Xo Vie!

mejohann
mejohann

Despite glowing reviews, I have to say I did not like this one even a little. The opening is of SANTAL PERFECTION, but the second that alcohol evaporates, best you head for the hills. I don't know what type of cacao or rose is used in this but it winds up smelling like burnt plastic. It's really bad you guys. I caution you to choose this scent unless you know for sure that you like the cacao/rose combo. I'm not even sure if that is what is setting me off, but yikes. I'm sorry you guys. The dry-down is a powerhouse of garbage. Luckily it scrubbed off well.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Heaven and earth this is divine!!! I didn't expect this, I am flying because I have found my new true love. Every note is so apparent to me, it opens with burning wood, a dark and earthy sandalwood, sweet rose, chocolate in the heart. Oh my!! The best SL EVER!!
This fragrance is a true work of olfactory art, it is pure unadulterated genius and I can't stop inhaling it. I feel like a drug addict getting my much needed 'fix' .
Why do I get a sense of oud? Does anyone else get oud in the notes because its definitely not listed in the ingredients, but perhaps the earthy sandalwood is a little oud like?
Longevity is impressive and projection certainly lets you know of its presence.
A wonderful perfume, if I had to sum this up I would say its like walking through a forest in the winter, a faint whiff of burning wood is in the air, the ground is hard and there is a sharp coldness in the air. A winter perfume for sure.

KateAnette
KateAnette

Burning wood.
First time i tried this, i had to scrub it off (got a sample from SL).
I don't feel the need to scrub it off now. I just don't want to smell like burning wood. The wood part is okay, the burning part bothers me. Smelling like as i've been chopping wood all day, and the hair on my skin got burnt in a forest fire, isn't exactly how i want to smell like :).
I do like most of the SL's i've tried, this one goes in the "it's too niche for my nose to understand"- category.

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Majuscule is the opposite to minuscule. And that exactly what this is, this is the BIG sandelwood. This is exactly like sandalwood scent in the good old days. Sandalwood is round and warm and yet in a way also has thorns, there is something penetrable goat tip in it too. Mr Sheldrake and Lutens simply hit it perfect in this raised perfume. (Unlike Bois Del Iles which is just round round round) Yes there is hot chocolate and rose mix, but only to give the sandal the perfect expression. This perfume, I simply NEED. Coromandel has got a competitor in this, not that they are similar at all. But this is a masterpiece, none the less. Where Coromandel is a beautiful newly built mansion with modern art. Very comfortable for everyday life. Santal Majescule is an old ancient temple of Hindu with mythical creatures carved in wood. It is supernatural anointing. Subconsciously healing.

Longevity and sillage is moderate/strong.

The rose is gorgeous and the touches of tonka and cocoa are divine, but the whole thing is overpowered by a wood alcohol scream from the sandalwood. I'd have much prefered Rose Majuscule with the sandal being only a background player. Dry down improves the balance, but that onset of loud, agressive and overall, not pleasant sandalwood ruins it for me.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is straight up sandalwood, I can see why people compare it to Jeux de Peau but to be honest it smells NOTHING like Jeux de Peau. Because Jeux de Peau is a very sweet, foodie and gourmand fragrance, but Santal Majuscule is a refined natural sandalwood fragrance, very sensual and very wearable. I personally would never wear Jeux de Peau in public because it smells like something a very old lady would wear 70-80, a glamorous 80 year old lady, maybe old Hollywood kind ( I like Jeux de Peau when I'm at home, but in public I don't want to smell like that ).

SM sits very close to the skin, on my skin it lasts about 1-2 hours, which is quite long for me ( I have a super dry skin which eats perfume within minutes, )

Cereza
Cereza

It is a tiny bit similar to Jeux de Peau, but I don't find it to be a bad thing. I never found Jeux de Peau wearable as it was too foody on me, but Santal Majuscule is quiet the opposite - I love it. I'm always extra excited when I find something to love from Serge Lutens as his perfumes rarely work on my skin.
Santal Majuscule is a marvelous sandalwood perfume. The dryness and woodiness is simply breathtaking and the hint of powdery cacao makes this like a warm and cozy blanket. Nevertheless it is also very sensual. The rose at the heart gives a tiniest bit of sourness and freshness, but rose never really evolves for me, it is all about the dry woods and powdery gourmandness.

I love it.

BillyC28
BillyC28

This is so nice. Really rich, round, full-bodied sandalwood wth a slight gourmand touch to the cocoa, but not fully chocolately. And feels very Middle Eastern with the wood. The wood not is very strong (but not overpowering) in this. Very smooth sandalwood

AveParfum
AveParfum

At first there is a nice, very dry sandalwood mixed with a boozy chocolate liqueur. The initial scent quickly dissipates, leaving a fragrance behind that is not so dark and intense but a bit powdery and relatively light instead. Sillage is poor for $150. The notes seem exactly correct--woods, rose, cacao. I don't find it sweet. I sampled Fille en Augilles on the same day, which was significantly syrupy sweet in comparison.

I have a terrible little habit of buying perfumes on a whim after testing only once. Why oh why didn't I buy something from L'Artisan instead? Serge Lutens perfumes frequently disappoint me in the long-run. The more I wear Santal Majuscule, the more I find it to be a weak and bland concoction. It should be the opposite--I want to fall in love. If there were a category called "inoffensive office gourmand," this would be a worthy member.

itunu
itunu

I agree this smells similar to jeau de peaux (which I love) but it's definitely strong on sandalwood (no bread, no sugar) so is less gourmand. Warming, comforting, soft and deep. I often wear these 2 fragrances together as they compliment each other nicely.

Martika
Martika

Instant love!!! I think I have tried every single Lutens released until 2011; but then I stopped chasing new releases as all of the lastest ones until 2011 were a major disappointment (such as Five O Clock au Gingembre, Vitriol d’œillet, Nuit de Cellophane to mention a few). The other day, a colleague had a bottle of Santal Majuscule on her office desk -imagine my surprise! it is so rare to come across a Lutens lover in my every day life- that, out of curiosity, I asked her if I could test it. Well, it has been years since a Lutens achieved to create me an emotion to the extend that Santal Majuscule did. It is certainly not the best Lutens ever released but, at last, he finally seems to be getting back to the creation of fragrances that have made his reputation. I am certainly going to be purchasing a bottle.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Serge Lutens is really cheap for what charges. Santal captivated me for a spicy fruity aspect, is a semi gourmand in my nose.
I do not know the composition of notes, but I feel a spicy floral opening and then, continuing in its drydown that tone, join some fruit or flower with coffee, tonka bean, something like this seed.
The bottom of the sandal is natural and amazing, this really that tone with fruity semi sweet vanilla in the end brings me like a candy grape, crazy and great!

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

The first blast fairly screams at you with strong, resinous notes of oily sandalwood, closely followed by a wave of raw cocoa, such as you get when opening a new canister of Cadbury's. I detect no roses on my skin, but definitely on my husband's skin. It is reminiscent of Jeux de Peau in the top notes, but less burnt and less sweet, and with incense in the drydown rather than vanilla. I'm a big fan of Fille en Aiguilles and Chergui, so I don't see myself reaching for this one much, but friends to whom I've given decants prefer it to Une Voix Noire (which personally I think is a better fragrance). Still, for sandalwood lovers, I would say a good winter fragrance, where Santal Blanc is more of a year-round effort (Santal de Mysore doesn't work on me at all - just smells of curry).

dilettante perfumista
dilettante perfumista

With all of the comparisons to Jeaux de Peau, I decided to try each of them on each wrist at the same time. While both feature sandalwood and are gourmand, Jeaux de Peaux is sweeter and heavier. Santal Majuscule is a bit spicier and more interesting in development. While Jeaux de Peau carries the signature Lutens stewed fruit aspect, Santal Majuscule takes a different turn with the fresh rose note that cuts through the sweetness. While they both have similarities to each other, they are really not alike at all side by side, and each conjures a very different feeling. Santal Majuscule is Indian rice pudding scented with rosewater while Jeaux de Peau is a croissant bread pudding covered in caramel and whipped cream.

TakeABiteOfMe
TakeABiteOfMe

A little disappointing, I must say.
I love Jeux De Peau, I adore it, it reminds me of getting up early in the morning for going school and having a magnificent breakfast with milk, bread, apricot jam.
And Santal Majuscule is milk, bread, apricot jam and cocoa powder (or chocolate).
Nothing so outstanding in my opinion. Yes, it's beautiful, but it does smell like a more gourmand version of Jeux De Peau.

henryvdp
henryvdp

love it !

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I had reviewed this scent earlier, but I was too harsh in that review and had not really given the fragrance a chance so I deleted the earlier review. I tried my decant of this juice again today and applied more to my skin and really gave it a go. I still found the sandalwood a bit rough in the beginning but I did note that it had a nice freshly cut wood edge that is appealing and cuts the sweetness of the sandalwood opening a bit. (After smelling Tom Ford's Santal Blush I wouldn't call this Lutens sweet at all!) The middle notes are sharp incense and still lots of wood. The scent dries down to a nice engaging soft wood and incense melange, quite pleasant.

So, after further deliberation I deem this pretty good, but I still don't love it like I do my other Lutens scents.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Initially a bit spicy, but then it turns into Jeux de Peau. The same slightly woody salty scent. This does not fade into a milkier base unlike Jeux de Peau, but otherwise they smell identical. The first time it was interesting, but a second time? Especially when I'm expecting a divine sandalwood? Not so interesting and really disappointing. Pinch of salt though - cacao doesn't wear well on my skin at all.
EDIT: My boyfriend has taken a very strong liking to this, he thinks it's very special and unique. Though on him it actually does dry down to a wonderful sandalwood.

fanny
fanny

After testing (a sample, sent over for free from Lutens, Paris) and letting the initial blast of spices and wood fade away, I wondered for half an hour what this scent so strongly reminded me of:

Jasmin Noir de Bvlgari

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

From the title and press release I expected this to be a grandiose, almost sacred sandalwood.

I had my expectations too high for this. Sadly to my nose it is not particularly reminiscent of natural Sandalwood. The opening is a bit out of focus and no note stands out. The sweetness is particularly milky (and not pastry like to my nose). I get fleeting impressions of coconut milk and a subliminal sourness like clean sweat, the type that you find in old style female florals. There is a boozy cocoa note that adds some intrigue in the heart and some coffee in there too to ground the sweetness. As the base notes come forth it becomes somewhat more defined. For me in the late stages this reminds me very much of Kurkdjian's Oud. It has the same "pharmacy meets candy shop" vibe, well balanced but not particularly attractive to my nose. It is a smooth and polished scent with a very urban feel, perhaps a tad vintage. No baroque drama, no sacred connotations and no rustic wood chips or sharp rosiness at all. Aparently you don't need "WOOD" to spell just "SANDAL".

Perhaps this would make a good intimate feminine perfume. It is definitely more feminine than unisex. I will use my sample and give it a chance to grow on me but don't think it is going to be a full bottle for me.

megank4
megank4

I tried this on at Sephora. It took me the longest time to figure out which other Serge Lutens perfume it reminded me of. (Because, let's face it, they all have a certain distinct underlying smell).

Jeux de peau!
Exactly it.
Reading the other posts, I see I am not the only one.

vdxl
vdxl

Hey, Serge +Shiseido Group. I know sandalwood is again en vogue, but you already have: Santal de Mysore, Santal Blanc, Jeux de Peau, which all evoke sandalwood in a great way. Why releasing a less gourmand Jeux de peau with less tenacity and more expensive, after you add some rose notes found in many arabian style perfumes? So, I propose you a deal: either discontinue it, either sell it half-price. Cause it is a half-ideea/concept( and I am being indulgent). I do hope Une Voix Noire does not follow the same path of safety. Niche perfume simply isn't a safe bet, I hope nobody forgets that.

essence777
essence777

I've tried it today. Santal Majuscule is milky, incensey and soft spicy. Great fragrance, but as most Lutens creations too anemic and volatile IMHO.

I'll NEVER spend a small fortune on
a fragrance that only lasts a whisper. Desolé...

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Not his best fragrance.
It's just Jeux de Peau + rose essence

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I also get some cocoa, but not a dark chocolate. sfonativeboy is absolutely right: pastry sweetness-- a lighter not the syrupy sweetness you get from some other Lutens frags, and not particularly warm. Very different on paper than on skin; and nicer at a slight distance than very close-- there is a sharp spicy note when I bring my hand close to my nose that I don't get at arm's length. Not sweep me off my feet love at first sniff, but could probably talk me into a second date.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Just got a sample of this scent...
SANTAL MAJUSCULE on me ...
its similar to Jeux de Peau....
in that its very.... PASTRY sweet
my first whiff caught an undeclared chocolate note..
but it just settled into very sugary notes
like a "Maple-glazed doughnut with a cup a coffee"...
longevity is pretty good...
still need to try out SANTAL BLANC..
however,I prefer ....SANTAL MYSORE
for its complexity and uniqueness...

claudia0219
claudia0219

I love this one.....it definitely has a Rousse/Borneo vibe on me. Well blended and lovely on the skin. Not very sweet, but enough sweetness to make it a favorite of my SL collection.

beddy
beddy

reçu ce matin, ouai, bof, du santal chocolaté et très sucré !

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.