Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Khôl de Bahreïn Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 for women and men

Khôl de Bahreïn Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 for women and men
dislike

Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Khôl de Bahreïn was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Stéphane Humbert Lucas. Top notes are violet, sweet notes and resins; middle notes are iris, sandalwood and ambergris; base notes are peru balsam and musk.

Violet Sweet Notes resins

iris Sandalwood Ambergris

Peru Balsam Musk

Encens Liquide

Khôl de Bahreïn Fragrance Reviews

LoriAlyse83
LoriAlyse83

While I wouldn't accuse Khol de Bahrein of being extremely complex, there IS genius in its simplicity. And JTD nailed it. It is a luscious cosmetic gourmand that sublimely developes over the course of the day. Sweet but not nauseatingly so. It has exceptional staying power and is intoxicatingly delicious. I wear many fragrances and rarely stop my husband dead in his tracks for a compliment, but today Khol de Bahrein did just that. I LOVE it! A serious contender to my beloved signature. ❤

lovescents999
lovescents999

I couldn't wear this fragrance in the summer time, too hot and humid here in NC for this powdery cake bomb! Today, on this cool and bright fall day, it's a different story. Khôl de Bahreïn reminds me of the dessert, Turkish Delight, heavy on the powdered sugar, rose water with a bit of crashed iris candies. I inhale it deeply, enjoying the resins, ambergris and sandalwood, and while it dries down, it becomes less gourmand with the musk and peru balsam taking over. The scent is sweet but in a good way, balsamic and very creamy, sometimes becoming an old school lipstick and makeup powder, only to be rerouted to a more sultry amber scent.

The longevity is fantastic! I smell it on my clothes and my hair even the next day. Sillage is pretty good, but it doesn't overwhelm anyone with the powdery notes.

cezarmac
cezarmac

Stephane Humbert Lucas is definitely one of the best perfumery house from nowadays.I can say that because its line is not that vast.I've tried them all,profusely.Each one had its singularity,dna and quality.Niche is the best word to match it up.
This one isn't an exception.We have all those notes attached with a quality seal. Extracted resins from rare Eastern trees,salty natural ambergris,luxury powder nuances from iris/violet flower and astonishing sandalwood gives an woody/creamy feeling.
Everything looks perfect,everything looks magic.But guess what?!?!Like the Brazilian soccer team,each member is out of this world,description is almost unfair.However,chained together the result is out of control,like every member was trying to caught more eyes,every ego popping higher than its limit.
On the one hand a dark masculine vibe,enhanced by a cozy balmy sensation,by the other hand a powdery grandma feeling dragged by a loud cloying note of chocolate.
The team have won by 1x0,nothing convinced though.
10 for its quality,5 for the scent.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Dark and sweet floral-resin! Nice perfume,very charismatic. After a few minutes I feel something dusty/ acid in the background, a inkling of fresh makeup but solid thanks to the very evident resins. Scent of contrasts between the ancient and the modern,the sillage is great and very good longevity. Recommend you try...I like and I think I'll buy !! beautiful!

Sillage: 8.5/10
Longevity: 8./10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

emily7
emily7

jtd described it perfectly.
Just want to add one thing; the name - Khol de Bahrein - is a beautiful name for a perfume, but it doesn't fit this particular fragrance. First impression was underwhelming and let me tell you why - I expected something darker and much sweeter, with heavier basenotes. I see other reviewers had the same issue.
This exquisit creation smells so French and for its quite different (soft iris, warm amber and musk yet fragile, with tender gourmand notes, ambergris keeping it from becoming too frivolously sweetish) character I unfairly misjudged it as inferior.
Luckily, I gave it another chance and it grew on me as soon as I realized what it is - a tender, classy oriental with a gourmand touch, just what I was looking for.

jtd
jtd

A gourmand-cosmetic perfume might not sound like the ideal hybrid fragrance, but Khol de Bahrein is convincing. It is a candied floriental of middle-eastern extraction with iris, violet and heliotropin dipped in amber and incense. The range of resins and flowers is calibrated to create an image of sweets ranging from dragées to nougat and pistachio baclava to orange blossom cakes.

The amber-incense heart is melodic and lightly smoky, less a campfire, more the burnt edges of a cake. Heliotropin’s marzipan aroma hints at vanilla around every corner but you never come eye to eye with it. The buttery aspects of the flowers become embedded in the resin so that scent and texture become linked. The contrasting tones converge elegantly and create a perfume that has a distinctive ‘feel’ for lack of a better word, powdery and oily at the same time like the feeling of pollen on your fingers.

Khol de Bahrein is thick and matte yet light, like the powder of a compact that can be applied lightly or heavily for different effect. The list of notes is like the ingredients in a recipe. They tell you about flavors, or in this case aromas, but give little indications about the texture of the end product. The long arc could allow it to be mistaken for a linear perfume, but on close inspection there is a slow, steady progression, an olfactory inertia that gives the perfume an optimistic and luxurious sense of endless heartnotes. The fugue-like progression of candied notes brings Khol close to loukoum, but it cleverly avoids the cloying sweetness or fly-in-amber inescapability of the loukoum perfumes.

Khol de Bahrein could be compared to Shalimar. It has iris and vanillic amber but it lacks Shalimar’s harp-strumming melodrama and heavy velvet stage curtains. A better comparison is Jicky, little less dense than Shalimar but still forceful. Kohl de Bahrein avoids Jicky’s overt animalism but the sweet leather base gives it a comparable shadowy quality. Like Jacques Guerlain, Stephane Humbert Lucas defines the oriental perfume as a near-gourmand experience.

from scenthurdle.com

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

I agree with Shenandoah in that I, too was expecting a darker, more mysterious scent in Khol de Bahrein. The first few times I wore KdB, I was surprised and actually not crazy about the scent. So I pushed my nice sized decant to the rear of my decants.

Last evening, I wore it again. This time, I understood its' appeal and really enjoyed wearing it.

Now, you may think me crazy, but it reminds me a lot of Shalimar Parfum Initial!! All evening I kept thinking, what does this remind me of??? Then it hit me. Yup. Shalimar Parfum Initial. Maybe it is the sweet and powdery aspects of both. Tonka/caramel in SPI = the "sweet notes" and resins of KdB? I dunno. But, crazy or not, I stand by my comparison.

To me, both are lovely scents. One pricey, one not. I'm glad to have my decant of this. When I run out, for a very similar feel, you know what I'll be wearing. ;)

Shenandoah
Shenandoah

When I first heard the name 'Khol de Bahrein,' I must admit that I was expecting a darker, more mysterious scent with notes of smoke and resins. Even after I read the notes, I was anticipating a resinous amber with hints of sandalwood. Instead, this is an iris-violet powder bomb of epic proportions on my skin. It reminds me of a less candied Meteorites. Fans of makeup-scented perfumes will most likely love this fragrance, but as I am generally not a fan of powdery scents, this one is not for me.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

عطر سوووويت جدا.. سيئ جدا
لا انصح به

archivist
archivist

This reminds me sooooo much of Chantecaille Kalimantan, but smoother and sweeter from the immortelle, amber, and tolu - which blend voluptuously together in the "sweet notes" and then juxtapose with the ambergris in a sensuous, soothing creamy, sea salt caramel accord on the skin - I'm absolutely smitten with it. I wasn't expecting this much incense from Kohl de Bahrein, not at all - but to my nose this is very rich with a well-blended Somalian bakoor-style incense, just like the one in Kalimantan. Absolutely heavenly.

Kohl de Bahrein is more gourmand and delicately constructed than an Amouage, but it does remind me a little bit of Amouage Beloved - probably because of the incense+immortelle. However, the immortelle in Beloved is drier and more herbal/grassy, whereas the on in Kohl de Bahrein is closer to the candied version found in Immortelle Blanche.

As far as "sexy" goes - this is a quietly suggestive scent, exotic but also welcoming and warm, something that invites nuzzles and speaks in a sensual voice, not an overtly sexual one. It is confident but not loud, relaxed but not louche, soft but not shapeless, sophisticated but not aloof, complex but not challenging. It strikes a really lovely balance, and produces a sense of harmony and relaxation so pleasant that I'd really like to just swim in it, spray myself down and then just curl up in my big plush armchair with a book of Rumi and a cup of white tea. It's one of the fragrances in my wardrobe that just make me feel relaxed and ethereally peaceful. All of them involve ambergris, come to think of it.

I wouldn't wear this in a professional context, I'd personally wear it more of an evening and weekends fragrance, because of its sensuality and heavy-lidded, languid sweetness and incense.

Amouage Fate has been my signature for several years now, but at the moment I have to admit to myself that if I could only have one of these three bottles (which aren't so much similar as they are on a shared spectrum), it would be this one. It's just more accessible, which makes it more versatile. No plans on giving up Fate or Kalimantan, this is my sweet spot for scent and they all cluster up right in it in their own unique ways, but it's a rare, rare thing to smell a new perfume and have it feel like coming home.

goldeneraglamour
goldeneraglamour

Wow, what a lovely scent! So smooth, luxe, and sweet. There are so many facets to this linear yet complex fragrance.

It does evoke cosmetics while retaining this vanillic almond-y gourmand feel, like loukhoum. I'd probably place this in the same category as French Kiss and Lipstick On, which also contain both accords. This one seems to be nuttier though.

It is also kind of like Ombre Mercure in a way, has a similar warm, luxe, exotic feel. OM is one of my absolute favorite scents, it has nearly all my fave notes but lacks one very critical one: heliotrope. Heliotrope can evoke makeup, almonds, or vanilla. Here in Khol de Bahrein it (or a resin that appears to be like it) takes on all 3 characteristics. Almost like OM with almond but no sandalwood (which has turned off some people). If OM disappointed you for this reason, please give this a try!

KdB, I'd say, is more vanillic than floral, powdery makeup-esque but not waxy. Has a Teint de Neige/Jivago Sweet Dreams feel too: heliotrope with classic white Dove soap. I also think of Rochas Tocade and Tonatto Dama when I smell it, and more distantly, Calligraphy Rose.

But the number one perfume it reminds me of is none other than Guerlain Oriental Brulant. I compared the two, the drydowns are nearly identical to my nose. They do differ in opening notes. OB is spicier and fruitier, while KdB is smoother and nuttier. But they both, overall, smell like pure Guerlinade to me!

Along with Ombre Mercure and Calligraphy Rose, KdB is one of my most favorite Guerlain scents that Guerlain never made lol.

At this time, however, I don't think I'd buy a full bottle of it. Ombre Mercure and Jivago Sweet Dreams are my perfect makeup and Dove soap scents, respectively.

All in all, this is a very fascinating scent, because it takes all of my favorite accords in perfumery and combines them into one perfume, thus reminding me of so many others that I like or love.

If I ever develop a lemming for Oriental Brulant (or more generally speaking, a scent that's Guerlinade from start to finish), I'd choose this. It's cheaper too!

henri345que
henri345que

I'm kind of divided about this one. Maybe i expected to love it based on the enthusiasm i saw, but it didn't make me feel this way once i have applied it on my skin. It seems luxurious with something like an ancient aura made polished and modern, but for me it still has that standard golden amber aura that you get when you make a base of labdanum, benjoin, vanilla and musk. Maybe because i'm not so fond of amber aromas they stick like a sore thumb on all the fragrances i try that has them. But still, at least this is not heavy on those or on any other ambery material, which lets me appreciate the velvet iris, the slightly sweet violet which seems to be completed by a quick sugary note. It' s for me a kind of comfort, cashmere scent, but it lacks anything really exciting. I'd comfortably go through a decant, but would get sick of wearing an entire bottle of it.

pravda48
pravda48

Since there are no reviews here I feel obligated...

I got a sample of this in an eBay lot bid of marked LuckyScent 1ml's. I blind test most samples, and all I thought of this was, "very vintage labdanum-based amber, too heavy for my taste. Almost has a styrax heaviness underneath and the powdery vintage vibe I associate with it". More than 30mins in now there is a definite sweetness rising below that, and a powdered iris edge too. Still, a heavy vintage powdered amber (which I guess is actually a heavy ambergris compound, but since both are lab creations it makes sense I often confuse a heavy amber for an ambergris) dominates, and that's simply not my cup o' tea. Sillage seems mod-heavy, longevity yet to be determined but it appears potent.

[10.2.14]

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 Khôl de Bahreïn fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 Khôl de Bahreïn, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.