Designers » T-Z » Oriental Floral « Groups

Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women

Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women
dislike

Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures Smoky Poppy The Body Shop for women Pictures

The Body Shop presents Smoky Poppy in early 2015, intended for Valentine's Day. The Smoky Poppy collection is inspired by the controversial poppy flower, beautiful, intoxicating and dangerous, and contains extract of hand-picked poppies from Ankara, Turkey. According to Greek mythology, the poppy flower symbolizes love and fertility as well as goddess Demeter.

The fragrance contains intoxicating, seductive and captivating blend of sultry spices, elegant flowers and earthy-woody tones.

The fragrance is available as 30 ml Eau de Toilette, while the collection also contains the following items: bath bombs, massage oil, shower gel, body scrub, body butter and body lotion.

Poppy Floral Notes Woody Notes Spices

Cafe

Smoky Poppy Fragrance Reviews

UnearthlyApothecary
UnearthlyApothecary

I can see this being the scent released by the poppy field that put Dorothy into an echanted sleep outside the Emerald City. Very smoky incense, spice, and narcotic florals. I would love to see the actual note list. There is a similarity to Opium, but this is much more wearable. Performs very well for an EDT. Would have loved it if there had been an EDP version. This is spicy/sensual and intoxicating, I love it.

alisasbeauty
alisasbeauty

Amazing! Remind me Ispahan! Want to sniff it all the time, and even eat it....weird....Will buy more, till it available.

sophiesnose
sophiesnose

What a shame this is discontinued, but I managed to get two bottles of it. I LOVE the big smoky, skanky, spicy ones. Tabu, Shalimar, Obsession, Youth Dew etc. But I can't wear them to work and they really aren't day friendly. But this one is! I get some would feel this is night wear only, but to me, this is soft enough for daytime. Cosy, soft and wonderful. So glad I stumbled upon it. Love it.

Danadoo
Danadoo

To my nose, this smells like Chantilly and Youth Dew had a love child! I adore this fragrance and was lucky enough to get 4 bottles from TJ Maxx for 2.99 a pop! It has a definite 70s vibe to it and reminds me of something my mother would wear on special occasions, it reminds me of being a child.

orangepekoe
orangepekoe

I knew what it was like before I bought it because of the tester in the store. It is soft and almost herbal with spice. It reminds me of Noxzema cream, comforting, maybe there is oregano or camphor in this, maybe it's the incense. If you find poppy soap then this perfume has that scent. I think the notes are poorly listed.
This does not smell like Opium. I don't like Opium- too strong and heavy smelling - that's why I never bought it. Opium has beaver's scent.

No idea what Poppy smells like, but this one sure is smoky! Not a bad kind like burnout candle wick or burnt cigarette butt, of course! I don't use it a lot because this is not me but I do enjoy it as a shower gel. Black gooey gel lather me up good; making me feel smoking hot and say "how you do in'?" In the mirror to myself.

Erinbath22
Erinbath22

As the reviewer below stated, there are many of these in spray, lotion, and rollerball to be found at TJ Maxx lately. Tried an open one and was instantly reminded of my dad's Old Spice cologne. Easily unisex, this is spicy, and I didn't really get any smoky, which is what I had hoped for.

Eyviab
Eyviab

I found at least 8 of these perfumes at my local tjmaxx for $2.99 to me it is very potent! I might go back and buy a few for swaps! Happy sniffing!

elena.kurlaviciute
elena.kurlaviciute

Didn't like it at all. Poppies are definitely not for me.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

This is pleasant. To be honest I only found out about it because it kept cropping up on here a few months ago, seemingly from nowhere! I like Opium-type scents, the spicy smoky resinous carnation clove oriental kinda perfumes, so it seemed foolish to not try it out given the reasonable price and favourable reviews.

I find that it definitely fits that general grouping that contains such beauties as Opium old and new, as well as Nohiba, Ispahan, Teatro Alla Scala, Cafe old and new, and to some extent also Bellodgia and Black cashmere at one end of the spectrum and La Perla, vintage Maja and Nantucket Briar at the other.
While it is undoubtedly reminiscent of such esteemed names it does lack the punch that most of those mentioned have, although that is not necessarily a bad thing - some days vintage Opium is just too much - if not for me then certainly for those around me! Of those other perfumes I listed, I would say this is closest in smell to the sadly discontinued Nohiba, although it is a little quieter and softer.

Smoky Poppy is a pleasing scent. It recalls some great classics while still retaining some character of its own. There is a slight soapiness that I enjoy, a hint of sweetness and a soft fuzz of spices. It makes me smile and it is a much more personal scent than some of the heavy hitters, sitting closer to the skin. I think it does have a place even if your wardrobe is stocked with each and every one of those aforementioned beauties, because those days when you crave that orange,red and gold spicy richness but don't want to deplete your stocks of vintage or expensive scents this will satisfy your requirements. My only real complaint is that it is not very long lived on my skin so I tend to spray onto clothes instead.
I am currently experimenting with layering this with other scents and so far having some pleasing outcomes. It will "refresh" many of those similar if you fancy a top up during the day, or to augment a smaller application of a more expensive scent and it also layers well with woody notes, ambers, vanillas and carnations.

I don't know why they discontinued this one, and seemingly very soon after releasing it. I know it doesn't fit the standard Body Shop mould but it is a good perfume in its own right and it seems to me a mistake to have pulled the plug on it. But then look at my list above, and consider how most of these have been discontinued or reformulated almost beyond recognition. To me it is baffling. Luckily I heard about it in time, and was able to buy myself 2 bottles, plus the lotion for an amazing discounted price in the clearance sale.

In conclusion, this is a good scent, a departure from the usual offerings from this brand, and while it is not wholly original it is good enough to be forgiven. Sillage is fairly gentle, longevity is on the low side (around 3 hours for me on bare skin, though it can push to 5 or 6 when layered and sprayed on clothing) and the price, if you can still get hold of some, is very reasonable. Definitely worth a try if you are a fan of this kind of fragrance, but unlikely to convert you if you generally dislike this genre.

Alisa90
Alisa90

I really like this fragrance. It is very fresh and clean. I do not know why The Body Shop discontinued this perfume! It's a shame!!!!

Suzybee
Suzybee

Love at first sniff at the Body Shop last year. Found them on clearance and stocked up. I too, don't understand why they discontinue scents quickly. If they kept them around, it would give others a chance to try them. If you don't frequent The Body Shop in store or online, you will have missed this scent altogether.

It's a shared scent for me and hubbs even though I think it smells better on him.

Krasnylips
Krasnylips

I guess it all depends on the series, so the quality vary from month to month.
I get a very rich, addictive, yummy juice.
Sounds quite natural, it does remind of Opium, the new version actually, but to me it is more on the gourmand side. It does not smell this at all but every time I imagine dark chocolate cake with poppy seeds inside. At the same time it is quite a gothic and dark creature.
I think this is the most interesting from Body Shop I have tried.

Eugirlsniffs
Eugirlsniffs

I tried it i a TJMAxx ( I know, it WAS already open...), and to me it just simply smells bad. No poppy, no smoke. Opium???? Oh my. NO. No way. It's closer to a toilet spray. I smelled some weird artificial smell but I can't say what. This will never work for me, so I'll pass. More for you:)

plum
plum

Got on on sale for half price.
At the beggining there's a note of my late mum's perfume from my childhood. She used to wear Opium but also Blase and Poison. So some people may be right when they mention Opium.
And there is a dentist note - nutmeg.
And later on there is something very pleasant and what brings good memories: Italian toiletries called "Felce Azurra". I love them and was gutted when on my holiday in Italy I was able to buy soaps only (hand luggage liquids restrictions). Smoky Poppy smells exactly like I would imagine that Felce Azurra perfumes smells like.
Longevity very good.
Really don't understand why the BS has decided to discontinue this one.

landshark321
landshark321

I own a couple of The Body Shop's men's fragrances (White Musk Sport, Kistna), and although those are arguably unisex themselves, it's safe to say that the intention is for Smoky Poppy to be feminine but I found it pleasant, as a man. It had the cosmetics smell that I found to be inherent in Egoiste and Dior Homme Intense and some other popular men's fragrances, but Smoky Poppy leans more toward the floral as opposed to the sweet. The scent itself is a mixture of its signature poppy floral smell with a spicy/woody mix of notes, and arguably some smokiness as well, though I find the best descriptor to be a "spicy floral."

Probably not something I would often wear but intriguing for the body shop price ($15 for 30ml). Also, the projection and longevity are substantial. Lastly, it seems to be discontinued, as far as I can tell, as it's no longer on the company website, so it's a nice little option to have as something different.

6 out of 10

kiriaradia
kiriaradia

It doesn't remind me of YSL's Opium at all, though I can certainly see how it could be like opium (I accidentally wandered into an opium den in Greece when I was a teenager, oops, and wandered right back out let me tell you!)

It reminds me more of Ninja, which was a less expensive spicy-oriental fragrance that I loved in the 80s and frankly wish would come back. I like the drydown but it doesn't last more than a few hours; still, I'm really sad that it's been discontinued because I do like it quite a bit.

I'm tempted to layer it with Piguet's Visa. I think they might go well together and Visa sometimes comes back the next day if I take a hot shower!

Sasco
Sasco

My friend has this and. I spritzed a little the other day out of curiosity because I was rather attracted to the mysterious little bottle - but what. I actually got on my skin was a slightly odd blend of smoke and soap. I've learned since joining this site to be patient and not judge by first impressions, and as soon as I got home, I checked the reviews here (intermittently sniffing my hand!). A LOT of people saying this is a 'lighter' and 'softer' version of Opium. Well, I can't speak for anyone else but to me, the whole raison d'être of Opium is that it is a dark, heavy scent. I love it's rich, deep potency and I don't want a diet version! Sadly, I can't afford the real deal just now, and had hoped this might serve as a substitute for the time being, but it doesn't. Opium-lite just seems a bit.... pointless. It's not unpleasant, but it definitely has a certain Body Shop vibe about it that I can't quite put my finger on - a tangible soapy note beneath the smoky opening that seems to be present in many BS fragrances. A bold departure from their usual fruity offerings, though - and interesting to see what they come up with next.

*_Lilly_*
*_Lilly_*

I just came across this little black bottle a few days ago. I was intrigued by the name and <> ;) and, it is not your typical Body Shop scent. I smelled it and thought "eh not bad" then I sprayed it on. "Eh not bad". I asked if I could return it if I later decide it does not mix with my chemistry - yes was the answer. "eh I will wait" (did not buy)

...walk around the mall and kept smelling my hand (where I sprayed) and noticed I couldn't stop smelling my hand (my son was making of me because if you didn't know, it did look weird lol) a bit later there I was again in the store - "yeah, I am gonna go ahead and buy it" ;)
--------

It is oriental just like it states here. I love Opuim and Coco etc. so this was up my alley. Spice! :D I love warm spicey scents...

However if you are into florals and clean scents, this may not be for you. BUT you should try it on anyway because the dry down was what got me, not the initial spray.

PLEASE DO NOT DISCONTINUE THIS!!!!!!!!! :(

mapache
mapache

Just received this. I am on the fence still.
I get an Opium/Shalimar vibe in this for sure. I tried it on indoors....and it became cloying on me. I think I will try it again outdoors or in the Fall. It is musky and semi-soapy for me in the drydown. It is a scent that I feel I must be "in the right mood" for. I do get a little floral..not much.
And I agree with other reviewers about the nutmeg.
One other new Body Shop scent that I feel is AWESOMENESS...is
RED MUSK. I am totally satisfied with Red Musk,I have the EDP,Oil,and shower gel...very different type musk...spice..wood...NO flowers. GREAT !
I will give the Smoky Poppy another chance and see what transpires on my skin.

evermore
evermore

I really like smoky poppy. First spritz is a shock, surprisingly clean and green, like walking through long wet grass in the early morning; then I get a hint of strawberry before the musk starts to come through; and then black pepper, in particular the very first aromatic grains from the pepper grinder..
Abut five minutes later there's woodsmoke, perhaps burning rosewood? And then a creamy amber. It's a very warm, kind, comforting scent.

ArghJo
ArghJo

I don't usually like spices/wood notes but this is oddly charming. It's not a very "young" smell, but I think that's why I like it.

chimidoro
chimidoro

Intoxicating, resinous, woody, soapy & buttery.
Poppy seeds & incense. Nutmeg, cinnamon, maybe licorice?

Softens my usually erratic mood. I find it incredibly calming and soothing. Stays skin close for up to 4/5 hours.

Reminiscent of my childhood - Fresh from a steaming bath, towel atop my head; rummaging through closets brimming with vintage clothing, laden with the remnants of powders & parfums. Dust hanging rife in the air, sunbeams cutting like daggers through the curtain lace.

Edit, 18/8/2015: I must say, a girl walked past me yesterday reeking to high heavens of Smoky Poppy. She must have been doused from head to toe, leaving a muggy fog of it in her wake. Utterly delectable and incredibly distinct. I truly love this scent to death. I've never known anything else quite like it.

Frayja
Frayja

Its a reminder of Opium,like a wisper should I say.
But is more wearable and pleasant in hot weather and if you like that type of oriental,go for it.
A nice bottle,a spicy perfume,in great variety of EDT,body lotion,body butter,etc.Nice launch!!!

Something personal: I spritzed Poppy (12 euros) on one hand and on the other one spritz of Aqua Di Goia Jasmin (62 euros).
Poppy survived for 5 hours,Goia for 5 minutes.
Do the math!

bronstein
bronstein

With this one The Body Shop does what it is best at: Create a perfume that is silent enough so that it keeps in the background, and which is clean on the surface but simultaneously has a filthy heart. It is perfect for girls and young women who prefer a feminine look in their everyday life without trying hard to be sexy. This way they can go on well with both boys and girls.

As for the Opium reminiscence: Its undertone is definitely opium, not Opium. Are you getting the difference? Anyone who ever had the pleasure smelling real smoking opium immediately understands this one's underlying filthiness.

Conclusion: one of Body Shop's best. It's a shame that it is to be discontinued. On the other hand, this means it is sold at reduced prices now. Get it as long as it remains available.

****

emmy.johnson.72

I love this, it is like Opium but not so overpowering.
It is spicy but floral too. One of my favourite perfumes right now and my favourite new scent from the Body Shop.

Sherrywijaya69
Sherrywijaya69

I dont like it personally,its not hideous but its just okay,i dont really know what poppy smells like but i don't smell anything floral in this perfume, just warm spicy woody sandalwood that's it

over_caffeine
over_caffeine

Smoky Poppy by the Body Shop goes by the name Forbidden Flower in Asia. This is watered down Opium with a laundry sheet quality. Pleasant, I think, and slightly masculine. I think Smoky Poppy can pass as unisex. Staying power is an impressive 6 hours.

SlasherLady
SlasherLady

Doesn't work for me. Turns into salty licorice, and that's something I like to eat, not wear. Yuck.

enigmaticessence
enigmaticessence

On me this is incense layered on top of a sweet soap. That doesn't sound very interesting, but it is actually. I kept on finding a slight resemblance to Estee's soapy jasmine, aldehyde and musk creaminess. This is much lighter and not really old fashioned, but the likeness adds a strange and memorable quality.

Moderate sillage and longevity. I tried it in warm weather and it was refreshing. It would make a perfect unisex for those who love a light but intriguing incense .

bapita
bapita

A great scent - if you are a christmas cookie elf atop the the christmas tree. As a grown-up human, I'll pass.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Thanks to the thoughtful generosity of a Fellow Fragrantican, I can at last sniff happily away at Smoky Poppy! And since I wish all of YOU could also, here is my first impression:

I am smelling a rose with non cloying sweetness, and a cold cream/triple milled soap aura, tinged nicely with incense and light spices.

Nothing loud or earth shattering, and very pleasing in an almost comforting way. The scent is not dry and not juicy, carrying a middle of the road approach between arid and creamy. The spices never take center stage, which could be a positive or a negative, depending on your viewpoint. To me the essence is that of a spicy cold cream or scented skin softener. In other words, for a heavy hitter fan like myself, Smoky Poppy comes off as distinctly comfort food.... NO bad thing. And definitely more interesting and exotic than the light soliflores and white musks largely marketed by this chain. As Body Shop fragrances go, Smoky Poppy is a welcome offering. :D

Comparison to Opium is inevitable. The heart is similar enough to bring the comparison to mind, but not really adequate for purchasing blind. They are truly different scents altogether, though clearly in the same category.

Although sweeter, what Smoky Poppy actually reminds me of is the more unisex and herbal Cafe-Cafe. Which is perhaps not so surprising, in that it is seen by many as a low cost alternative to Opium. Like Cafe-Cafe, the sillage and longevity are limited, but at this price point I am less than critical. Spray away, and ENJOY...

Good Job, Body Shop!

sistermoon
sistermoon

Oh.My.Goodness. When I tested this last weekend I had no idea what to expect. Well, I used to wear Opium (in my teenage years, yes) but then I realised it became too heavy and too distracting, so I abandoned it. Well, Smoky Poppy smells like a softer, less tenacious and not as sharp version of Opium. It is the best of Opium in my opinion and I can definitely wear it now. It smells smoky, spicy and oriental. Very alluring and sensual. It is still heavier when compared to an average modern fragrance, but I can take this much. :)

UPDATE: This was on sale recently and I bought two bottles! :)

Smell
Smell

เป็นอีกหนึ่งน้ำหอมที่ชวนให้คนรอบข้างตั้งคำถามมากๆว่า นี่มัน"หอม"เหรอ ???
Foribidden Flower ของ The Body Shop ซึ่งทางนี้ไม่แน่ใจว่าเป็นตัวเดียวกันกับ Smoky Poppy ไหม แต่เดาว่าใช่ เพราะขวดดำๆเหมือนกัน รีวิวกลิ่นก็ว่าคล้ายกัน
ถือว่าเป็นน้ำหอมที่แหวกขนบของ The Body Shop สุดๆ เพราะปกตินางจะมาแนวหวานใส ผลไม้ ดอกไม้สารพัน
แต่ Foribidden Flower นี่ไม่ใช่เลยค่ะ blindbuy มา ก็ลุ้นมาก ฉีดครั้งแรกเจอกลิ่นเปิดไปแทบร้องไห้เสียดายเงิน เพราะมันไปดันเหมือนกลิ่นน้ำหอมกลิ่นเดียวในโลกนี้ที่โก๋ทนไม่ไหว คือ Kenzo jungel ที่ขวดเป็นรูปช้าง เป็นกลิ่นเครื่องเทศหวานๆเอียนๆ จับโน้ตได้เป็นขิงกับเครื่องเทศเหมือนผงมาซาล่า กับมะนาวมั้ง เปรี้ยวนิดเดียว แต่เอียนมากๆ
สัก 5 นาทีผ่านไปค่อย ok หน่อย เพราะกลิ่น top นั้นจางไปอย่างรวดเร็ว เหลือเป็นกลิ่นไม้หอมแห้ง และเหมือน......โอเปี๊ยม !!! เย้ !!! โอเปียม !!!
นี่สงสัยมากๆค่ะ ว่าอะไรดลใจให้ The Body Shop ทำกลิ่นแนวนี้ เพราะไม่ใช่ทางของนางจริงๆ แถมกลิ่นเปิดก็ไม่ค่อยเชิญชวนคนทั่วไป หรือ แฟนประจำ The Body Shop เท่าไหร่
แต่เอาเนาะ พอเหมือน opium เราก็ ok นะ แน่ละ มันบาง จางกว่า opium มาก แต่ขวดเล็กๆพกง่าย เพื่อพกไปเติมวันไหนใช้ opium แล้วเผื่อเติม
ปล.ใครเคยดมดอกป๊อบปี้บ้างคะ ??? ในเวบบอกว่ากลิ่นหลักเป็นกลิ่นดอกป๊อบปี้ เลยอยากรู้ว่ามันเหมือนไหมอ่ะคะ

Josi293
Josi293

Not your typical Body Shop perfume! The perfume is very spicy and that strong poppy scent makes it linger all day. I've had this perfume for the past month and I've been enjoying it ever since. Will certainly be puchasing their body butter and or lotion for sure!

A lighter and cheaper version of YSL Opium.

WildDove
WildDove

Smoky Poppy is spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper, etc), lots of incense, a little orange on top, and faint hints of vanilla and chocolate. Oriental gourmand. I find it very wearable, contrary to many fragrances heavy with incense. Reminds me most of CdG Avignon and Chanel Coco -- if you like these but find them too strong or pricey, you've got to get your nose on TBS Smoky Poppy. For men or women.

davna
davna

For me, it smells like Guerlain Shalimar.... good job

KateW
KateW

I bought this last Saturday, wore it to work on the Monday. In the store it initially smelt to me to be a bit like YSL's Opium. Think about the name too, Smokey Poppy.
But when worn properly it faded a bit then changed, it also lingered & lingered all day. It even fragranced my colleagues coats in out coat cupboard! Not in a good way.
A shame, I wanted to like it & wear it but I cant.

Ninlil
Ninlil

Abrasive and deterrent smell to my nose, I could not bring myself to test it on my skin. My boyfriend was slightly more positive and said it smelled like industrial cleaning products.

Scarbie
Scarbie

I really like this one. It is very different from the body shop's usual scents as it is deep and dark. I can see why people say it reminds them of a much lighter Opium. I bought the Edt but some reviews are making me want to get the body cream.

Red Rose
Red Rose

I see people in here compare this to Opium. Though I didn't try Opium this smells like smoke, it's almost suffocating but the drydown is so orintal & all the smoke is gone. Keep in mind this doesn't smell like someone got a hot shower, sprayed some fragrance & then smoked a ciggaret, this smells like something is burning, a burning wood or papers maybe? all in all I don't like this smokiness the body shop latley got themselves into doing so many smokey fragrances without knowing what sexy smokey really smell like, it's a failur in my book.

mystica
mystica

Initial burst is similar to Opium EDT. Then this soon settles into a light, soapy, soft, spicy, and a bit of a masculine fragrance which doesn't seem to last or have a sillage. That's a safe frag and I rather prefer wearing it at home since it has a relaxing aroma.

ginepro
ginepro

Nice bottle (the colors), interesting notes on the paper... however, on my skin this is probably the most unpleasant perfume I've tried in a long while! It opens up strong and smoky, but not cozy smoky but rather smoky like when mistakenly using too much lighter fluid when barbequing. Not a pleasant scent and nothing I would like to smell like. It smells chemical and synthetic. Synthetic ingrediens are not necessary a bad thing but here those notes are too strong and smells almost like benzine or some almost dangerous gas that comes right out of an exhaust pipe. Maybe I'm exaggerating due to a headache (maybe caused my trying on too much perfumes in one day) but too me, this smells no good at all. Sorry Body Shop.

Juliana6
Juliana6

When I first smelled it, I was quite confused. I didn't know, if I liked it or not. The first impression was a strong mixture of spices, some green accents, a piece of burning high quality wood and then, in the end I felt some soapy flower notes. I didn't fall in love... Walked out of the shop quite disappointed that time, because I had high expectations about this one. I kept shopping but the scent was lingering, it became a bit masculine, woody (I felt even a bit of fern) and powdery. Somewhat cozy and in the same time tempting and teasing. Something unusual, a bit strange, not really a love from the first sniff, but I went back and bought that small, black bottle. I like how the perfume grows on me, wraps me in its mysterious aura. Maybe not for everyday wear, but still a sensual, independent and feminine perfume for special mood, special times.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

If anyone has one of these they wanna get rid of please pm me.

Yudum
Yudum

this is so long lasting and ıt doesnt smell nice. I live in Ankara where the poppies have been collected from and it smells nothing like poppies kind of like the soap in a public toilet:D not very nice guys sorry

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

I thought this was actually quite nice, at least for the few minutes that it lasted on my skin :/

I can see why people might compare it to "Opium". On first application I get a strong dose of star anise, a similar root beer-like sweetness and the faintest trail of smoky earth, but the comparison is minute. Imagine "Opium" as a magnificent pagoda temple and "Smoky Poppy" as a tiny key chain souvenir that you buy on your way out.

Within five minutes the sweet, dusky spice turns into a nondescript hand lotion; Another five minutes later, and it is gone altogether.

So don't kid yourself, this isn't Opium on the cheap. It absolutely smells like a Body Shop creation, but as far as Body Shop scents go, it is one of the better options.

Onasmartrobin
Onasmartrobin

This stuff is amazing... love it! It truly is horny stuff, I'm going to buy it all so best be quick and get yours! :)

lsh55
lsh55

I can't fathom how anyone can compare this scent to any of the big classics like Opium, Coco, or others. It's just as flat as any of the cheaper scents. There's no depth that can give silage and longevity. I don't know how that particular poppy smells like but poppies growing naturally here don't have any particular scent. It's a shame that The Body Shop won't tell which scents they have created this one with. If it's only based on four components where one of them has no particular scent then it truly is a very unsophunsophisticated eau de toilette and nothing that comes anywhere near the classics. On me it comes off nice to a start but then it develops into something less nice and nauseating.

leonorano3
leonorano3

Tried this today and couldn't resist buying most of the range. I agree that it resembles Opium, though a little lighter, but it feels like a high-quality, well-composed perfume, and I am astonished, though delighted, at finding something so cheap to be so good.

I'm surprised by the number of dislikes, but perhaps this is just because many people are shocked to discover this type of adult fragrance produced by a company famous for (imo) boring fruity florals. Well worth a try!

wjones35
wjones35

If you appreciate Opium, this is for you. If you like spicy fragrances, this is for you. If you feel Opium may be a tad "to in your face," this is for you. It is a spicy, lighter version of Opium. It has a very nice smell, but doesn't knock you down the way Opium could. I applaud TBS for this. I don't do the vanillas, and the fruits well. I'm a musk lady. Love the white musk oil. So this was definitely a nice change in direction. Hope this fragrance becomes a staple on their shelves. And also note, the gel shower gel is black, but also smells great.

scarlett.angel
scarlett.angel

I completely agree with @nitschevo's review. A lighter, softer version of the original YSL Opium - which may smell good on my mother, but way too overpowering and headache inducing for a 20-something me. Smoky Poppy is like "a customized Opium made just for me" ;) I bought the entire, limited edition Valentine's Day Deluxe Collection, which is now sadly sold out in my country... the EDT and all the accompanying body care products are simply divine.

I really hope The Body Shop brings them back! Well done. 10/10

emmy.johnson.72

This is a softer version of Opium...and very beautiful to wear because it is not as over powering. It is sensual, warm and seems to turn on the senses....It would smell amazing on a man...very, very, sexy.

noori
noori

I see why it reminds people of Opium, first I thought the same, but now I am not so sure anymore.

It certainly is an old-fashioned, powdery spicy scent, but to me, Smoky Poppy is more soapy and clean when compared to Opium. Actually, the vibe it gives brings to mind some of Lush's scents (not a specific one, but rather the feeling of them), spicy, strong, yet clean and soapy at the same time (and a bit strange).

Jackom
Jackom

I agree, its a lighter version of Opium

Martaynd
Martaynd

Given a sample of body cream while in the store. Pleased with it, just not enough yet to buy.

Rorshach1004
Rorshach1004

Smoky Poppy is a lovely sweet spicy scent, and at £8.50 for a 30ml bottle it’s an absolute steal. It’s a bit flowery, but not overwhelmingly feminine, and I’d classify it as a unisex rather than a female only fragrance. It’s a nice perfume, sweet, cheap, and definitely worth a purchase at the ridiculously low price that TBS are selling it for.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Holy Body Shop! I hope they keep this one around even after Valentine's Day. It's divine!

I agree with reviewers who stated that this resembles Opium - that's the signature scent of my mom so I know that scent in all it shapes and flanker forms. Come to think about it - for this the name Belle D'Opium would be fitting :) It's like a lighter and softer version and very well made. What also delights me is the fact that Body Shop connected a spicy scent to love and not a candy like one. Not that I don't appreciate them once in a while but it's about time that we get more variety back in the perfume game.

So happy that I found "my" Opium ;)

sarahwspain
sarahwspain

I don't have a very clear idea of what poppy smells like (it's supposed to be "earthy") but this is smoky indeed.

I just bought this one and I'm enjoying it. It's quite different from other "The Body Shop" fragances, which are usually quite linear and "simple" to me (sometimes they're nice even if they're simple though). This one actually smells more complex and, dare I say it, expensive.

First of all, when I came here and I read the notes, I was shocked not to see any incense there, because this fragance opens with a very incensy feeling (I'm guessing it's what's listed as "spices" here). This incense smell is strong and "generic" at first, but then this starts to dry and that's where the magic begins. The spicy-incensy feeling remains, but it calms down and then some kind of sweetness appears (these are probably the "floral" notes, but this is not a floral scent to me at all). So this smells like a sweet (not sickly sweet) spicy fragance. I don't get much wood here, but the woody notes must bring some kind of warmness to this.

I am really enjoying this one! It smells warm and very very exotic. The only problem is that it doesn't project much after a short period of time, so it stays close to the skin. To me this is a night fragance and I think this is very very sexy. No wonder they released this for Valentine's Day!

Sherihan
Sherihan

I will try it if it is really similar to my beloved Clea, I may adapt

virga
virga

To me Smoky Poppy has no similarity to YSL Opium at all. Opium is spicy, vivid and daring; Smoky Poppy is medium-smoky, medium-dark and powdery. It’s similar to Habanita by Molinard, but sweeter and less intense. And not as dark, of course. I can detect a prominent dark chocolat/cacao note, but still not a gourmand scent. Good longevity and silage, worth testing.

Smunky
Smunky

Like a drier, faded Opium, but desperately missing that oomph. Leans more toward the masculine, in my opinion. Longevity is about what you'd expect from an EDT from The Body Shop. I'm happy to see them trying new things (as opposed to Bath & Body Works), but this one left me cold.

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

This has a little bit of the cool laquered-wood accord that makes YSL's Opium so crisp and intimidating, but it is on a base of something closer in temperament to BBW's fluffy crowd-pleaser Japanese Cherry Blossom. It smells good and is comparatively interesting to the rest of the Body Shop lineup, but you're not going to mistake it for anything niche or expensive. I picked up some of the body products to layer with, but I think the EdT is a waste of time.

MissLola
MissLola

To me, the dry down is exactly: Clea bij Yves rocher. In the beginning Opium. I like it. Well done TBS!

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

Immediately when I smelled this: YSL OPIUM. I was shocked to find such a sultry scent in an innocent nature shop like TheBodyShop, with it's strawberry shower gels. Opium is a heavy hitter classic and of course can never be replaced, I find Smokey Poppy is very similar to Opium but with a lot less bite and more floral+powder, more soapy. Opium lite.

Spicy warm florals and powder. Beautifully done! And well priced, it's not deathly expensive and the black packaging is pretty. A superb job from The body Shop to make such a beautiful and grown up scent!

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

It starts like the summer editions of old Opium, but a bit softer and a bit fizzier. If it stayed like this it would be really nice. However after 40 minutes all I can smell is Nivea creme mixed with this characteristic deodorant spray smell (you certainly know that one). I'll probably buy a body scrub thou.

Jomoves
Jomoves

After trying this I can see why people are a bit disappointed. It is like Opium in a MUCH lighter form, but without the depth and mystery. Having said that, I really think there is a place for this one. I do think the tide is slowly turning against fruity florals, and the fact that The Body Shop, which is mainly marketed to young females, is introducing something like this seems to be further proof that things are starting to move. While I love all those old school 80s smasherooo fragrances, something like this is easy to wear on a hot summer day or balmy night. It’s not a groundbreaking at all, but hopefully a sign of perfume trends to come.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

Yesterday I saw one review on youtube, and today I dropped at the store for my own opinion: Here: quite o.k. perfume, yes, it is smoky, yes it is poppy- reminds drydown of Opium, but much lighter version.It is fine to have it in collection. why not.

SIPLANTIS
SIPLANTIS

It's a very good combination of Coco Chanel and Chanel 5.
It starts with Coco then turns into Chanel 5 aroma.. Strong for y0ung ladies i think...

mudpach
mudpach

I have an edt and body butter. "Old lady" like? No! As the Opium is not old lady's scent only. And Shalimar and etc... Yes, this is different like the other THB scent. Strong, heavy sillage, powerful spices and deep sensuality. Otherwise I don't like Opium, but I like to wear Smoky Poppy, better than a simply floral-fruity nothings.

Eaugirlspirit
Eaugirlspirit

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I couldn't even bring myself to sample this on my skin. Smelling the perfume on the paper strip and the body butter out of the container was enough of a deterrent for me. Powdery, sharp, bitter. That's pretty much what I got. It had such a harshness to it.
It's hard to believe this is the same brand that brought us White Musk Smoky Rose, which is awesome! In fact, there are a lot of other Body Shop fragrances that are better than this.

maelleinrome
maelleinrome

I agree with Emma0714: very old-lady like for me... similar to Opium! I don't like it, big disappointment.

kmdrcla
kmdrcla

I really wanted to like this one! I first read about it about 3 months ago and was dying to try it. Today the body butter arrived at my work and I tried it immediately. To my dismay, it smelled almost completely opposite of what I imagined it would. I expected smoke and spice balanced with sensual florals, but what I got was pretty much 100% powdery "old lady" smell. Really surprising. The marketing images, the rich red colors on the packaging, and the mystique of the poppy flower in general really made me think this was going to be a warmer, spicier, and sexier smell, but ended up being dominated by powdery almost seemingly white florals and a peculiar cold soapy smell. No smoke, either! I would love to give the spray a try, but for now, I definitely wouldn't recommend the body butter.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Make the bottle more "conceptual" and this could be a Comme des Garcon! It smells like... Laundry rooms, a warm attic, and some vintage pepper perfume accord.

The scrub is dreamy.

diondra
diondra

All I can think about when sniffing this (the EdT) is a cheap fabric softener. Harsh, acrid and concentrated. Such a disappointment!

Emma0714
Emma0714

The notes listed are not quite right though. Clove, Lavender, Cedarwood, Ylang-Ylang and Musk to mention a few.

It's very powdery and old-lady like. Nothing new under the sun, really. You'd imagine with that packaging and promo-pictures you'd get a smoky, spicy, sensual opium-burst from the ottoman empire.

Instead it lies flat like a cracked, heavily perfumed soap in a retirement home. In the eighties.

Oh the dissapointment.

Shwets
Shwets

This perfume is spicier than the body creme.
On my skin the edt turns masculine and i believe that this should have been marketted for both men and woman.

This would smell amazing on a man...spicy warm soft and comforting. The spices remind me of that found in the reformulated opium and then theres this old spice for men vibe im getting.

Very nice long lasting scent with good sillage considering its been on the back of my hand for 1.5 hrs now. More masculine for my tastes.

The body creme smells so creamy and softer.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Got to try this in store yesterday, have to say I really loved it and can't wait for it to be released. Really long lasting, starts with a spicy floral opening, then mellows into a very rich and deep Poppy base. It is a very sensuous fragrance, I love the artwork and design too, I get the feeling this will be a big hit.