Designers » T-Z » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Sel de Vetiver The Different Company for women and men

Sel de Vetiver The Different Company for women and men
dislike

salty

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Sel de Vetiver was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Celine Ellena. Top notes are grapefruit, cardamom and bergamot; middle notes are tahitian vetiver, bourbon geranium and ylang-ylang; base notes are iris, bourbon vetiver and sea salt.

Grapefruit Cardamom Bergamot

Tahitian Vetiver Bourbon Geranium Ylang-Ylang

iris Bourbon Vetiver Sea Salt

Dunhill Fresh

Sel de Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

lisa o
lisa o

Sel de Vetiver is easily my 2nd favorite fragrance next to Sycomore EDT. I just repurchased it after 8 years or so, and I'm really irritated why the hell I abandoned it for such a long time.
And just realized what nice soulmate-couples the pairs Sel de Vetiver/ Sycomore EDT and Bois d'Iris/ 28 La Pausa make...like the witty, sparkling daughters of beautiful, elegant mothers.

jjonrofl
jjonrofl

Wow... what a unique scent. This immediately feels so bright and crisp, but not in an ordinary way. I had never tried a vetiver fragrance before and the notes in this are so youthful almost...I've definitely never smelled anything quite like this. It feels sweet but not saccharin sweet, nor gourmand.

I sampled this, along with Heeley Sel Marin and Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt. For those of you also looking at these scents ("beach"/marine scents), I can give my 2 cents on how this ranks.

Heeley Sel Marin- much too sharp for me. I admittedly haven't worn yet, but I let it dry down on a tester sheet and it is very very sour almost and I didn't find it to be mellow enough for my taste. Reminded me slightly of a candle scent, which is unfortunate given the glowing write-ups for this scent. I have most of my sample left, so I may retest in the spring.

Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt - I've reviewed before and really enjoy this scent, but the longevity is so poor. Even with just a "dabbed" scent of Sel de Vetiver, I could tell that the longevity and sillage are superior.

I *almost* went for a full-bottle of this, but I decided to wait and maybe even get a small decant from Surrender to chance so I can make sure I like it enough (and also test with a spray and not just a dab). It may be more of a warm-weather scent for me, so I will probably revisit when it gets warmer out. At one point I did detect a carrot-y note in the fragrance (which I wasn't crazy about), but I keep going back to the fragrance and find it to be so different and uplifting.

Hopefully this review helps you if you are trying to find a new scent to sample/wear. It's definitely worth ordering a sample!

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

One of the top vetiver scents ever created IMO. Bold, bright and earthy. A couple pinches of salt with some citrus and bold,masculine vetiver. I am no vetiver expert and can't distinguish between bourbon and Tahitian vetiver but my nose loves this stuff! The opening is creatively bold and can be overbearing at times but the dry down is heaven in a bottle. For those that swear up and down that the Guerlain is the best then you need to try this. This last all day and can be considered a 4 seasons vetiver.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Lovely. A fresh, soft, breezy citrus / floral / vetiver. Vetiver is always there, but not full frontal, in your face, as many vetivers are. It's whispy, fresh, cool, light and bright, like a breath of fresh summer air carrying the faint scent of flowers. I don't get salt, but I don't think I know what salt smells like. I do definitely get the outdoor theme though. It reminds me of Guerlain's vetiver for its clean, outdoor freshness, but this is more complex, more subtly floral, cleverly unisex. It's a young couple, laughing, walking hand in hand along a country lane on a beautiful summer's day, ok maybe a coastal path as a nod to the salt that I confess I can't smell as a note. My only criticism is that it is very soft and fades quite quickly, but otherwise it comes very close to my idea of the perfect Summer scent.
June 2016

tdwctdwc
tdwctdwc

Fantastic!

On my skin, it starts with iris-vetiver then moves to grapefruit-vetiver then moves to a pure rooty vetiver (ala Guerlain Vetiver) with SALT polishing the entire composition from start to finish.

Nothing to fault here.

Perfect, original, evocative and so well done.

rumpusraider
rumpusraider

Sel Vetiver
This is good, as in “tried this on Friday night, went back and purchased the next day” good. Absolutely no aquatics here (not to me at least). What I do get is a breezy handling of what is typically a heavy handed treatment of a common perfume element (think Encre Noire). I once spoke with Roja Dove, asked him about the light treatment in his own Vetiver. What he said is that the higher up the plant, the lighter the vetiver note. While this is in the same vein as Roja’s, derived from higher up in the plant, it lacks the citrusy brightness (and in some ways the weight associated with Roja’s composition) and as a result is much lighter but not lacking the vetiver note in any way.

What I get instead is more of a dreamy composition, ephemeral, but at the same time lasting and substantial. The vetiver is light but clearly identifiable, clean, almost if it was sprayed on a shirt days ago and only encountered again when the shirt is put back on. Longevity is around 4 hours with very, very low sillage. If I had to rank vetivers, I’d put this first, followed by Roja’s and then TF’s GV.

gelo999
gelo999

Risky work of the daughter of Ellena, where we see a very original vetiver well mixed with sea salt.

Sometime in the development of the fragrance, between the end of the notes of heart and sea salt gets into the territory of household hygiene products, disinfectants and soap products for my taste spoiling the whole.

Still you have to have the guts to make creations as original as this.

Rating: 4

psebi101
psebi101

The first impression is of a warm but windy day near the ocean. I can feel the marine salt right from the beginning, along with the vetiver which is dry and clean.

The focus is on the vetiver roots, but not the earthy ones found in darker compositions. They are the roots that have been washed in the ocean and as they dry, they are covered with marine salt. The wind carries through the air the smell of saltwater together with the cleaned vetiver roots.
The composition seems airy, transparent, but far from being simple and boring. At this point, there is a mix of aromatic herbs and flowers sustaining the vetiver. The changes are subtle throughout its life and it dries down warmer, rounder and sweeter, with the salt and the vetiver being present from start to finish.

One of my favorites, this reminds me of summer, sun and wind; a happy day at the ocean.

Scent: 9.5/10
Projection: 5/10

Little Prince
Little Prince

In modern times many niche firms venture in creating vetivers of the highest caliber. Unlike expensive niche eau de colognes which rely only in the quality of materials, vetiver has more creative room and different compositions and styles have been introduced. Sel de Vetiver is an enigmatic and highly distinctive vetiver fragrance, smoky and earthy (patchouli is also present although curiously not listed) with lots of iris and some salt. It strikes me as a transparent dry woods composition, very close to Timbuktu’s axis with its smoldering rendition of vetiver, although less dark and more floral. It also features a sparkling herbal gin accord and a citrus mineral facet, reminiscent of Ellena’s Terre d’Hermes. With the absence of reliable woody florals from the market SdV’s mysterious air and exotic freshness is a wind long awaited.

PurseJunkie
PurseJunkie

The opening of Sel de Vetiver was nice: fresh and just slightly bitter (more geranium than grapefruit to my nose). They definitely captured the salt, which I find I rarely smell even when I’m looking for it. In fact, I salute it for managing to be salty without being “aquatic.” I smelled hints of all the other listed notes (except maybe the ylang-ylang) swirling around in those first few minutes. I also got a moment of tire rubber at a couple of points, which for me was the most interesting point of the whole experience.

After that it lost complexity quickly. The last note to go was a little powdery iris…and then it was just vetiver.

I should mention at this point that I have a real love/hate relationship with vetiver. I am absolutely insane for ELdO’s Fat Electrician, subtitled “Semi-modern Vetiver” (seriously, if you haven’t tried this I urge you to seek it out post-hasty), but I detest many other vetiver-focused scents for being too rooty and dirty-in-the-bad-way. I have therefore divided the world of vetivers into dry and wet (or above and below, if you prefer. Please note that I have no idea what real vetiver smells like, in whole or in part, in the wild or in captivity). So: “dry vetiver” is the wonderful, woody smell of the grasses growing above ground; “wet” vetiver is the damp, unpleasant smell of bitter roots and damp, dirty dirt.

The best I can say about Sel de Vetiver is that it’s a nice, non-threatening, dry vetiver. That’s not nothing but it’s not enough either. I can’t imagine an instance after today when I would give time to Sel de Vetiver when I could be snuggling up to my Fat Electrician.

Lana148
Lana148

Herbal vetiver.
Smells dusty, earthy and a little salty. Although I love interesting, unusual fragrances this doesn't sit well with me. There are some fennel/salary notes that do not appeal to me. But still, this is worth trying.

Ouch!
Ouch!

Really unimpressed with this one.

Very simply goes from a liquorice/fennel/aniseed infused vetiver, to straight up vetiver.

I'm not that much of a fan of vetiver to buy this, I'd rather just wear pure vetiver.

The only thing I could say would be, that..salty liquorice taffy has a similar smell to this in the wet stage but, the dry down? Not super interesting.

farang
farang

Quite similar to Guerlain's Vetiver (vintage), and I like both. Sel de Vetiver is more vegetal, with a peculiar scent of celery root and coriander. Not really salty IMO.
It is a very earthy fragrance which smells like you have just pulled the grass with roots up from the soil. I suppose this is what vetiver roots smell like.
The smell is actually quite licorice-like as well, but no so much as Etro's Vetiver.

In the dry down, if you compare, I prefer the Guerlain.

Edit: After having read other posts, I agree it has a certain seaweed-at-the-ocean feel to it. That's why I feel it doesn't work so well in the city for me. But it will probably do well as a beach fragrance!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This opens with a salty vetiver and grapefruit accord and is nice and refreshing. After a while that celery note appears which everyone mentions.

This scent is very well balanced with other notes so the vetiver note is not too dominant.

A very good fresh vetiver scent and one perfect for the Summer.

rum
rum

I think I'm gradually getting off-put by vetiver, but this is definitely a top-three vetiver scent, along with Sycomore, TdH and Route du Vetiver.

It starts off rather interesting, including that weird salt note, but once it settles the vetiver just comes out, peeking from behind the opening dance routine. Hard to see this developing into vetiver when first sprayed, but it is there if you wait for it. This is probably a benchmark for describing a pyramid or progression to a newbie. The Ellena dynasty lives on and on. Shame it's not available in the UK...

naizzzak
naizzzak

This one smells like new things already got out from their new cartoons like new Ipad's cartoon and develops to be bitter and sour due to the sea salt and the grape fruit mixed with vetyver and i smells like the rubber tyres of children car toys when someone rub them violently or cut them.

Housebliss
Housebliss

Very reminiscent of Guerlain Vetiver. I'm not sure I could tell them apart if I smelled them side by side.

A very nicely done vetiver, but you don't need both. If you've smelled the Guerlain, you've smelled this.

However, this isn't as sharp as the Guerlain in the opening, and it lasts way longer on my skin.

If I had to choose I'd go for SDV.

Damn good.

Update: I find it to be too salty. I now prefer the fresher quality of Guerlain Vetiver.

dmoman
dmoman

For whatever reason the sea salt and vetiver didn't mix well to my skin. It smells very chemical the pinesol. The performance was good though going on 6-7 hours.

Jwaks
Jwaks

The perfect summer vetiver fragrance! Semi-sweet white grapefruit compliments airy, almost ethereal vetiver with a touch of florals and dash of salt. Smooth and lithe best describe vetiver in TDC Sel de Vetiver, it's woody, grassy and a touch earthy sans the heavy smoke and spice typical of so many other bolder vetiver fragrances. The dash of salt keeps this interesting adding just a touch of spice. Overall, it's uncomplicated, a pleasure to wear and a must try for all vetiver lovers.

Projection and sillage are quite good and longevity is amazing.

Score 7.5/10

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

to ChampagneHo, I toofelt the similarity btw Elixir de Merveilles and SdV.

ChampagneHo
ChampagneHo

I just love this perfume so much. I don't even understand how any perfume house can capture salt, but TDC does and does it well. I can smell the beach and NO suntan lotion, yay! If I want to smell like suntan lotion, I'll use it!

I love vetivers and I've been on a mission to find one that doesn't smell too gentlemanly and that I can wear in hot weather. I'm in south Florida and it's very hard to find one. I love Vetiver Tonka, but it works better for me in the cooler weather.

Many citrus scents turn on me or don't last. So while I enjoy the ones that work, I don't get the longevity I want. In this, I sense some grapefruit, but not in a sweet way.

This perfume is fresh, light, but heavy enough to be noticed and last a while. This one lasts on me for hours (at least 4) and possibly even longer because I got used to it.

The drydown was interesting. I just noticed this after the 4th time wearing it, pepper! Salt n Pepper! What a cool perfume this is!

Another thing I noticed. When I tested Hermes Elixir Des Merveilles, I thought, hmmm, this smells so familiar, but I know I've never tested it. I had run out of my Sel de Vetiver and didn't realize the similarity. SdV smells like green stuff and EdM smells like orange jam - but underneath them both, I get the same bright gorgeous scent - whatever it is!

walkdogg
walkdogg

Sharp, and has a bite to it. I smell a great connection between Molecule 03 and SDV the same way there is a connection between Encre Noire and Sycamore... Bang and Terre d'Hermes.
I cannot speak to which is better as that's your call. BUT, if you like M03 OR SDV, you ought to try the other one because they are similar enough to be in your taste pallet, but different enough to be worth having each in the wardrobe.

antfarm
antfarm

Sel de Vetiver is a perfect marriage of the indoors and outdoors.

It reminds me of huge chunks of sea salt on a clean white cutting board sitting next to a lemon sliced in half.

It also reminds me of walking down a wooden pier with cattails and water reeds right after a rain storm.

magic gingerbread
magic gingerbread

My favourite vetiver fragrance and my favourite summer perfume. It was one the very first niche perfumes and the first vetiver fragrance I got to know, so it has kind of special meaning for me.

The vetiver note is present here from beginning to end, but withe different companion. In the opening the most dominant note is grapefruit with a little bit of bitetter bergamot. What make it very different from generic fresh, citrusy frags is addition of cardamom which adds some deepness and density to the citruses. Later as citruses vapourize, a salty note appears. I think it comes from geranium. In my elementary school there were many geranium pots on the windowsills and I remember this complex, fizzy, vibrant and salty smell. I don't detect any other flowers, I guess they are perfectly blended with vetiver and salty geranium, perhaps adding some softness to the creation.

I recognized two main types of vetiver in perfumes whose I associate withe colours. So there is yellow, rooty vetiver and green, grassy vetiver, the former I love the latter not so much. Sel de vetiver is obviously all about yellow vetiver - deep, earthy, oily and sligtly smokey. Along with other notes it makes Sel de Vetiver one of the most beautyful vetiver frags for me.

I really enjoy wearing it, especially in summer.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Beautiful and original vetivery fragrance surrounded by some fruit, cardamon, flowery notes and some salt. Smells really great - perfect for spring and summertime. Very original, long lasting and fresh.

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I really like this; I find myself amassing an array of vetivers and this doesn't tread the same ground as Encre, Lutens Vetiver Oriental or Dior Vetiver. It has a super refreshing jolt of salted grapefruit at the top, not at all screechy or harsh, like the oil you get on your hands when zesting a citrus fruit. Less dapper gentleman than other vetivers, the earthiness is a really nice, tiniest bit funky, clean dirt. I agree with the others you read here-- a nice companion to your darker oriental, coffee, chocolate vetivers.

sillybilly89
sillybilly89

i was looking for an alternate for terre d hermes and i came across this beautiful fragrance.it was my first experience with this fragrance house and to tell u the truth im in love with TDC opening is harsh with a blast of citrus but it only stays for few minutes.as the middle notes step ahead this is where this fragrance creates its magic vetiver wit a pich of salt and very light grapefruit makes this really beautifull. its perfect for spring or cool summer nights because this beautiful salt vetiver journey doesnt last that much i get around 4 to 5 hrsand projection is about average.overall i would give it 4/5

thehanna
thehanna

Wonderful!! This is a unisex fresh salty unobtrusive vetiver scent with a bit of grapfruit. The notes blend together so well it is hard to pick out the composition. A very skillful blending of vetiver that anyone who is interested in this note would enjoy.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

This is a work of art also.
The differential of this fragrance, is by the presence of intense vetiver Tahitian, It is a little more
mineral, sharp and perfectly matches with salt tone and has a refreshing wave together by the grapefruit and geranium.
It seems that the root of vetiver is from the beaches of Tahiti.

junglefun
junglefun

Reminds me of Encre Noire, but different for sure. This is lighter, more fresh. I like the scent, but longevity and projection are just average, so this one is not a buy.

alaaddin777
alaaddin777

no, no, no...definitely no.(IMHO)
vetiver dance is a little bit pinky sweet,floral and feminen.
but SDV is salty(peppery), a little bit burnt,woody vetiver and unisex but on masculine side.
TDC-SDV is fairly better than Tauer VD.

Well, this is a pleasant surprise! With a name like SEL DE VETIVER, what could one realistically expect? In fact, this creation by The Different Company really is quite different. A refreshing vetiver with a very detectable salt note which offers all of the refreshment of sitting out at the end of a pier at the seashore on a cool day. The vetiver is there like the planks of wood that form the pier, and as the waves crash rhythmically on the shore, they create a mist which dries on my face, leaving a fine salt layer behind.

This is a unique take on the classic vetiver cologne. A great example of "less is more"! Or, perhaps more aptly, in this case: "a skillful blend hides most of its notes..."

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

Magnifico vetiver.
Tan solo la he probado una vez, directamente en mi piel, me entusiasmó.
Es fresca pero persistente, con el tono ligeramente amargo y seco del vetiver de Haiti.
En cuanto pueda la compro, aunque dudo entre esta fragancia y otro vetiver que tambien me gusta muchisimo y que es diferente de este, me debato entre comprar primero Vetiver Extraordinarie de F.Malle o este.

Another top notch in this genre. Quite simple yet incredibly satisfying. The usual sharp and rooty vetiver is joined by a iodine, sort of salty, note. Probably not among the most complex in this genre but still pretty darn good in its minimalistic iteration of the accord.

Rating: 7.5/10

visione
visione

This is one of my favorite TDC scents - just packed with contrasts and freshness.

Vetiver is such a perfume mainstay that to create something truly new with this iconic note is a challenge, but Sel de Vetiver manages to add a whole world of difference to it by introducing the salt note.

The opening is almost fierce: a rush of really spicy citrus that "pinches" the nose a bit before galloping rapidly into the vetiver. But this vetiver is somewhat tempered, first by the initial "pinch" but more by the interesting combination of florals behind it. Again, a "pinchy" kind of geranium and the velvet of ylang-ylang take the vetiver into a more secret, green space. That's where TDC makes the genius move toward a saltiness that one can almost taste on the back of the throat. It's not a sea-scent at all, or a "fresh-air" scent of salty breezes. It's more complicated and subtle. It's dark, like some of the gourmet salts from northern climes which are a blue-grey colour rather than a refined white.

And then there's that hint of liquor - a shot glass filled with a woodsy, well-aged bourbon - just enough to hint at the real sexiness of this fragrance. It is a cooling scent, but behind all the cool is a heart of flickering, fiery spice and the hint of romance. Perfect for man or woman, full of interest and originality.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

In the beginning, there is citrus. This probably sounds odd, but it’s just like tasting grapefruit with salt sprinkled on top of it. All too soon, though, the citrus dies away and the vetiver and its companions take over. The vetiver is gray and bitter, as it should be, and is accented by just the slightest hint of dry, peppery spice, the listed cardamon plus a few other things, possibly coriander. There’s also just the tiniest hint of something floral, but it’s subtle, focused mainly on iris. Then the bitterness goes away and there’s more sillage than I would ever have thought. It’s gorgeous, a perfect combination of notes. It’s like floating in a womb of fragrant salt water full of luscious nutrients. It’s the scent they would have used to lull the tank-people into submission in “The Matrix”.

When I first smelled the sillage, it was one of those infatuated, “OMG, this is the Holy Grail!” moments, which, of course, like infatuated love, never last very long. As the scent died away, so did the initial excitement. Sel de Vetiver cannot go into my wear-to-work rotation because it only lasts about 4 hours and I like for the scents that I put on in the morning to last through the evening. What a treat to be pleasantly surprised, though.

I can see how Sel de Vetiver would be nice layered with TDC’s Bergamote, as suggested by another reviewer. This seems like a good use for the bergamot, since by itself it’s much too thin, linear, and short-lived.

essija
essija

This is fresh and smells a lot like L'Artisan Jatamansi but stronger to me. Has that clean smell to it. Similar to kitchen clean smell to me, don't know if I would wear this. It is very cool almost Menthol cool feels light on my skin. Not something I would normally wear but maybe once in a while. Drydown smells like wet paint on my skin.

adeline_chan_sy
adeline_chan_sy

Amazing. An earthy vetiver with a salty overtone, mouthwatering, not kidding. Prefer it to the coolness of Guerlain's Vetiver, the darkness of Jo Malone's coffee inspired vetiver, the complexity of even Frederic Malle's vetiver. A smmoth intriguing experience especially when mixed with TDC's Bergamot. Kudo's to the Ellena family, father and daughter, my fave noses!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about The Different Company Sel de Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about The Different Company Sel de Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.