Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

Vert d'Encens Tom Ford for women and men
dislike

smoky
Vert d'Encens Tom Ford for women and men Pictures

The new collection of the Tom Ford's exclusive Private Blend line for 2016 presents the four new interpretations of the classic "green" notes in perfumery: Vert d'Encens, Vert de Bois, Vert Bohème and Vert de Fleur.

Vert d'Encens represents the scented interpretation coast of Corsica, sophisticated, aromatic and wild. The composition includes notes of incense, pine resins and fir balsam, heliotrope and woods.

It is available as a 50 and 250 ml Eau de Parfum.

Incense Pine Balsam Fir Heliotrope Woody Notes Wood resin boxwood

Vert d'Encens Fragrance Reviews

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

A very festive offering from Tom Ford. This fragrance was released late last year, and I had a small decant of this and wore it around December, so I can't shake the Christmas associations with this fragrance. It smells like a huge, majestic balsam fir decked out in ornaments in the middle of a warm, cozy house where your grandmother is making you hot chocolate with gingerbread cookies. There are even hints of smoke from the fireplace and the texture of the slightly scratchy wool sweater you're wearing.

Vert d'Encens is like a virtual reality fragrance. It completely transports you to a different place, time, and emotional mindset. It's one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled as far as creating a true olfactive scene. This fragrance is composed in a way that smells so vivid and tangible, and you are flooded with these feelings of nostalgia, anticipation, and merriment.

This fragrance really blurs the line between wearable perfume and ambient room scent. It is a little challenging because it is quite strong and the pine note is very resinous and sappy. But for the right occasion this is a bold and gorgeous fragrance to wear, and of course it would make an amazing candle too.

Thank you for taking me on this journey, Vert d'Encens. I'll see you next Christmas.

Gandhi76
Gandhi76

Amazing fragrance. Opens with fresh green pine then warms up to smell very very similar to Tom Fords Italian Cypress. Lasts forever, applied one spray to back of my hand at 7pm and could still smell it next morning

NZFH
NZFH

Chocolate and vanilla coated fir trees, anyone? That's pretty much my take on Tom Ford's Vert d'Encens. Oh, along with some smokiness. Initially thought I must be wrong about the chocolate note (as in "that's crazy"), until I read other reviewers saying the same thing. A very arresting, fresh green opening that quickly changes into something smokier and sweeter. If this sounds like you, please enjoy this walk through a smoky, cocoa-dusted pine forest! Longevity is great.

kamerun
kamerun

If anyone has this and would like to split or sell the whole bottle please let me know

cologneblanche
cologneblanche

I enjoyed this a lot! The sweet smokey chypre vanilla dry down was very reminiscent of something that I own... Le Labo's Patchoul 24! I find the dry down to be quite similar. However Tom Ford is fresher and more green.

jreily88
jreily88

Possibly the best out of the entire line, from what I've tried. Sold on the smell immediately, now I'm just testing the longevity and projection.

josh.moore27
josh.moore27

Received this the other day and what a beautiful scent this is. When I first tested I was not at all interested, I much preferred Vert Des Bois but when I purchased a sample of it, it often gave me a headache on most wears. This on the other hand grew on me a lot after I tried it in Germany and went on a long walk through the beautiful English Garden, I fell in love. This is very green so be warned, I get a slight Dr.Pepper vibe when I sniff the cap but in a good way!

Scent - 10/10
Sillage - 8/10
Compliments - None as of yet

OmarAladdin
OmarAladdin

Something about this reminded me of Amber Absolute.
TOM FORD has the worst incense and/or resins ingredient, it comes off very sweet and dry-fruit like, dried fig specifically.
At least to my nose.

Duskfall
Duskfall

I got unintentionally logged out while I was writing... The guest review below is mine. :)

One of the best conifer scents I've ever smelled! VdE opens with a seriously green blast of pine and fir and even though it softens and gets slightly powdery on the drydown, it maintains the prominently coniferous character. The incense fits seamlessly into the blend and gives it a light smoky undercurrent. This fragrance definitely has a retro vibe! Lasts long with noticeable projection (not too loud). Totally unisex and suitable for anyone who wants to smell elegantly cozy. My only complaint is the price.

jmiro7
jmiro7

I must say I am impressed with this one. I do see the vintage vibe many people note. I think this comes from the heliotrope powdery accord, which is gorgeous. The green resins however are really modern. Its a lovely combination and calls to mind perfumes like Chamade. I really love it and the performance is good. I would never spend this much for a perfume however.

TAP
TAP

Absolutely gorgeous, fresh and natural pine and fir slowly evolving and revealing more woody and balsamic nuances before softening into an elegantly smooth vanilla/chocolate (heliotrope) drydown; a truly lovely perfume with a classy vintage vibe!

VexedRomance
VexedRomance

Vert D'Encens—wow. The green is so deep and rich in this fragrance, it's like the smell of fresh pine trees, and instantly strikes me with the most suburban homestead feeling imaginable. And then the incense note chimes in—and the full vintage experience begins to flare up.

Suddenly—we're journeying back through time with the Ghost of Christmas Past, who takes us to this wealthy suburban home in the dead of winter, surrounded by the woods, and enraptured by the enigma of a sophisticated gentleman to appears to us like a silhouette.

Vert D'Encens is just very vintage—and so vivid—your imagination springs to life like this. I like it for the nostalgia, but this would be strongly considered a grandpa fragrance, that you're not going to score with any chicks wearing.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Very nice, but it does remind me of quite a few other perfumes - the balsamic amberiness in particular. I'd have liked the green notes to be more prominent, then it would be tipped into something special - maybe resembling 'Enchanted Forest' by Vagabond Prince.

The opening notes are almost Christmasy - gorgeous fir and pine, then the balsamic, slightly salty amber takes over with a soft natural vanilla that I find a little sweet (could be the heliotrope milky/cloudy effect too)

It definitely falls into unisex category, the fir and pine aren't macho at all, the vanilla softens it too, and personally I might find the sweet touch a bit sickly on a guy, but that's purely subjective. Also it's true that vanilla really leaps out on my skin in a way it doesn't on most male skin. For example if I wear Amouage's Epic Woman the vanilla is distinct, on a male friend's skin the frankincense stood out far more.

This is great quality, it feels natural, relaxing and easy on the nose, just a wee bit sticky/heavy for me. I find most TF perfumes a bit heavy mind you, with the exception of the lovely Jasmin Rouge and Grey Vetiver which are more my kind of thing.

Excellent sillage and longevity

cedar_lea
cedar_lea

I'm not actually getting anything near as woodsy as these notes would suggest.

I love the opening which is very cucumber and frankincense followed by something more herbal that I registered as garden sage, but I guess it could have been piney. I love the freshness with the incense. It smells like blessings and growth.

However it starts to morph into a smokey vetiver. I personally have a hard time wearing vetiver because it screams cologne to me and makes me feel like I'm posing and a slightly skeevy frat boy. I know this is just me associating it with the aquatics of the 80s and 90s and it's a lovely scent for many others.

vektros
vektros

It remindes me of Memoir Man by Amouage, less complex but more persistent.

Jag02010
Jag02010

I desperately wanted to like this. I smelled it on the paper, and I got such a smokey Christmas tree opening, and I was obsessed. I sprayed it on, and I liked it, but something was off. That "something" turned out to be the cloying, synthetic sweetness that crept in and stuck to my body for hours. I tried to wear it twice more, and all three times I got a massive headache and could not rid the scent from my mind.

Totally didn't work with my chemistry. Totally didn't work with my family's noses. I hope no one would blind buy something this pricey, but you need to test this one before.

deruitem
deruitem

The Fir and Pine are BIG and green in the opening. The opening is very much like a pine tree. Very realistic and quite good. Mr Chris nailed it below

"That opening Though!...
the opening is pure coniferous green heaven! "

Now that its been about an hour I am getting the resins more and some floral note that I think is heliotrope. I do get a touch of smoke but not a much. This one is also pricey at $225 for 50ml or you can go big $595 for a 250ml. That brings to per ml cost down to a more affordable $2.38 vs $4.50 for the small bottle. This to me is what Tom Ford is going for in the Private line. It is big and bold and seems to perform well already like the others in the line. The scents are very natural and real. I am not big on smelling like a pine tree but if I were this is something I would look into. I will update on the performance later.

Note I do get the similarity with Italian Cypress but this does not count as a replacement IMO.

jayssen
jayssen

For me, this is the winner out of the 4 Vert releases. I probably feel this way as I love Heliotrope. Once the initial freshness/green-ness of the pine and fir fade (which is not very long at all) the inspired pairing of incense and Heliotrope take over, and don't let go. There is a creamy, vanilla, benzoin like base that makes this fragrance so delicious, yet it has just enough incense and pine notes to not become bogged down by that creaminess.

The strength is very good and the sillage is excellent. A few sprays lasts 8 hours and beyond.

This is one of my favourite Tom Ford releases this year - if finances permitted, I'd get the 250ml bottle! :)

tatonnement
tatonnement

Have a 50ml bottle 99% full (no box) to swap/sell. PM me - see my want list. Also looking for back ups of my current haves.

noseyboysniffy
noseyboysniffy

Nobody has mentioned this yet so I'll be the first. This is 90% Italian Cypress, 10% added freshness. No wonder TF discontinued Italian Cypress, he wanted to reincarnate it into it's glorified form. It's pretty damn nice.

Mr. Chris
Mr. Chris

That opening though!...
the opening is pure coniferous green heaven!

Pine, cypress, resinous forest with a light creamy sweetness buried underneath.

After an hour or two the sweetness begins to dig it's way up to the surface and level itself out with the green conifer and eventually the sweet side of this scent (heliotrope) becomes dominant and although the conifer remains present throughout the duration of the scent life, it just takes a backseat.

I really like this scent overall but I just wish it kept that opening, with the woodsy green resin in the foreground.

Ruchess
Ruchess

I'm still new to fragrances and have sampled and bought 50 or so the past 6 months. Most of my samplings have been to select fragrances for business meetings, or date night, or casual get togethers, or whatever, but this fragrance I wear for me. I can't even tell you what it smells like except it smells calming, laid back, a little like the holidays. I sometimes spray this soothing fragrance on my arm before bedtime and tuck my nose close to it on the pillow and that is the last thing I remember about that day. It's not sexy, it doesn't say "I'm in charge" or "Look at me". It just chills with you, and what great company it is.

Dodotheman
Dodotheman

I think this smells very simular to 1996 by byredo... Go check it out... But Tom fords.. Is little bit better. Just s little bit

Xango
Xango

Good perfume and surprisingly complex for Tom Ford - I find his stuff tends to be pretty linear on me.

Vert d'Encens veers into Play-Doh territory every once in awhile, especially early on, but this mellows out the longer you wear it. The pine and resin is lovely though, and this is a powerhouse of a perfume in terms of longevity.

I'm going to wear my sample a little longer before deciding to commit on a FB, but this is the best of the Tom Ford green line by far.

Rene007
Rene007

for me its talc+chocalte+grass
remnide me muse mugler
very relaxing

Wolfgang Mazrin
Wolfgang Mazrin

Really like this a lot, On the top I get green almost grassy notes but then it fades it into a smell that is very similar to the sweet myrrrh scent of Eau Sauvage Parfum. VDE is much smoother in its opening than ESP and maybe smoother in its final dry down. ESP can be very harsh on opening and has rougher myrrh note in its base but the two scents become very similar after about 1 hr. Still VDE is a very nice and high quality scent. Once I am done with the ESP I am may get the VDE but the two would serve a very similar function in my perfume wardrobe.

VITO79
VITO79

Green with a touch of incense and vanila.
This is a good release

partypooper
partypooper

Bright green mossy opening, this fades on my skin leaving me with a slightly smoky/resinous dry-down, a bit like benjoin. While the opening is somewhat interesting, the incense dry-down is nothing special (Uncle Serge does this better and I think Ormonde Jayne's Woman or Man has a more complex and interesting type of green notes). This stays very close to the skin when under-sprayed.

meama
meama

A nice almost gourmand resinous perfume, very Christmas indeed. But even for this price I really prefer the same intense version you can find at Smell Bent: Bohemian Raphsody.

Oudy
Oudy

Wow!...this fragrance is more than a sum of its parts!...scent memory heaven alert!. This smells like Christmas to me. More specifically it smells like a freshly cut pine laden with lights and pine cones and fake tinsel while sitting in your jams drinking hot peppermint chocolate....also the aftersmell has a kind of "play doe" vibe to it...hard to describe really, but I can even smell the scotch tape on the wrapping paper.

Scent 9/10...mmmmm...a somewhat green gourmand that isn't just a tweaked private blend. Unique and beautiful
Projection7/10...seems satisfactorily on my limited testing (one day)
Fortitude 8/10...longevity is really good. 7 to 8 hours
Full bottle worthy...I don't know. Not for me I think. While I love the interesting "nostalgia" factor, I don't think I would want to walk around smelling like Christmas all the time.

landshark321
landshark321

Tom Ford Vert D'Encens raises a puzzling question in its name--can an incense/green pairing really work? Here I think a decent balance is achieved but not overall harmony. They get on base, maybe even leg out a double, but certainly don't knock it out of the park, though I'm not sure that could really be done. It's not really fair to say that Vert D'Encens is really just an incense/green pairing, as there's a bit more going on.

Incense is the star of the show but the fragrance is still quite sweet, due in all likelihood to the heliotrope and sap, with the pine and fir balsam giving it a green woody character. The burst of incense is most noteworthy at its opening, with the dry down casting a shadow over this eponymous note. It makes for a pleasant sweet incense vibe in the dry down, but I'd largely prefer an alternative like L'Occitane's Eau Des Baux that simply smacks you across the face with incense and vanilla rather than the muted dry down of Vert D'Encens.

Still, despite that sentiment, it could be argue that Vert D'Encens is all the more sophisticated for its restraint (I praised Vert Des Bois on such a basis), yet I simply don't experience the harmony in the dry down of Vert D'Encens that I do in that of Vert Des Bois. There's just something slightly off about Vert D'Encens while frankly, it's still overall quite pleasant, and a decent performer. Not necessarily one I'd picture myself buying a full bottle of but certainly one I'll wear again as a sample / reminder in some months.

7 out of 10

WildDove
WildDove

I actually get a lot of chocolate with Vert D'Encens, a bit of incense, sometimes a hint of mint. One of the best Tom Fords.

fragrance2016
fragrance2016

I'm on here all the time , recently especially. Just join and I have to say I love everyone different and enthusiastic comments. What took me so long, I don't know. First I must say I love fragrances. So here goes my opinion of Vert D'Encens. I like of the 3. Yesterday I took an excursion to the suburbs to dine and saw them. Upon first whiff, I pick up the incense, but more of a sweet vanilla tone up front as well. I acquired a sample under the now accustom questionable vial associated with Tom Ford fragrance. I am now smelling it again and I'm getting a pine sensation and less vanilla and incense. I haven't tried it on my skin but here's a prediction --lots of pine at top and a beautiful die down of smokiness. Original--you don't catch many pine scent out there. If I were to liken it to anything--Tom Ford Sahara Noir comes a far fetch close--it has greenery notes in the middle and of course the Incense.

insanfrancisco
insanfrancisco

I created an account here just so I could review this fragrance.

I own Santal Blush by Tom Ford, and it *was* my all time favorite before Vert D'Encens.

The first time I smelled this, it was green and a bit fresh. As it settled on my skin, I was transported back in time to a summer camp I used to attend. The pine notes are vivid, and there's a spicy chocolatey incense warmth. I call this my "sexy summer camp" / "Christmas" fragrance because it evokes memories of middle school crushes, campfire kissing and late night visits to the lake.

I got a tiny sample spray bottle from Neiman, wore it for 3 days to work, at the gym and out at night and decided to commit to a full bottle.

I've never loved a fragrance so much and gotten as many compliments from male and female friends (comments from the group: "it smells like waking up on Christmas Day at my parent's house" "ooooh that's going to be your winter go-to" "i want that...").

somevelvetmorning
somevelvetmorning

I blind bought this based upon the notes, and Tom Ford quality.

First wear, I was disappointed. It opened beautifully - like a balsam fir surrounded by smokey incense. The drydown was overpoweringly heliotrope - sweet and somewhat musky. It could have been the wood resin.

Second wear, I'm noticing the subtlety more - opening is still resinous, smokey fir, drydown is the heliotrope, but I catch faint balsam as it progresses.

It's a quiet beast. Lasts a long time, but becomes a beautiful sweet skin scent after 4-5 hours. This is definitely going into my fall / holiday season rotation.

judith.nitcy
judith.nitcy

Starts with a pungent combo of pine and incense...mellows into
something that is dry and austere at first, but then develops warmth as the woods come into play. Not sure if I like it...it will require multiple wears before I can decide.

bambu
bambu

Received samples of Vert Des Bois, Vert Boheme, and Vert D'Encens. Loving Vert Des Bois and D'Encens.

Vert D'Encens is very similar to what I remember Imaginary Authors' Cape Heartache smells like, except you replace the strawberry with whatever the sweet note in Vert D'Encens is (heliotrope?).

I found the strawberry note in Cape Heartache far too synthetic and I get a tiny bit of that with Vert D'Ecens, but I am really digging this juice nonetheless and will likely buy a full bottle when I can get my hands on it.

Vert D'Encens starts off far more green to my nose than Vert Des Bois. After a short period the green notes mellow out and you are left with a incense, woods, and the sweet note.

A really delicious scent. Not as heavy on the incense and green notes as you would expect given the name. This might disappoint some people, but I think this makes Vert D'Encens wearable year round.

Lmuradian
Lmuradian

Smoothest Christmas tree fragrance ive ever smelled.

Martin.91
Martin.91

This fragrance is so addicting. It blends with skin perfectly <3.

Medusa82
Medusa82

Smelled this today - really the best out of the four from this new rage -- very sophisticated composition - Defo on my to buy list

smellagent
smellagent

I smell chocolate too. It is interesting. FB worthy we shall see.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Been wearing a few days now...
Excellent. Pine, Chocolate (I know it's not a note but if you're wearing it you swear it would be) and incense.
Stunning, warm and sweet.
Not like Bois Morocain at all...
Highly original, warm and stunning. I have been catching whiffs of this throughout the day and it blows me away.
Showered and I can still smells on my wrists.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The opening certainly smelled like a heap of conifer branches -dark, piney, forest green- but then a warm, almond-like sweetness emerged, with some smoky tonka/vanilla pervading a thick resinous, indiscernible woody fog. About five hours later, I thought I could detect the grey, ashen, powderiness of oak moss imparting a dusty dullness to what remained of the tonka. I didn't really get much in the way of incense as a dominant note, at any stage.

I was expecting this to smell more like "Bois de Marocain", which is very incensey and green, but overall the tone of "Vert d'Incense" to me is dark, sweet and rich. Not for daytime and probably not that suitable for guys either; That syrupy sweet almond/tonka note is quite pronounced and rather feminine. I can only assume it is down to the heliotrope?

I can't say I found it that special. There are many designer fragrances hopping on the syrupy incense bandwagon now and honestly, this didn't stand out, but it's at least pleasant to wear.

razb666
razb666

Absolutely phenomenal!

perfumesamplesanddecants
perfumesamplesanddecants

we got to smell this one recently and we are simply in love with this creation and the other two in this series. these are three green beauties....

RickG
RickG

Omg, this is amazing stuff! One the first to get my nose & hands on this precious gift from Mr. Ford. Don't waist your time trying to find samples. Just pull the trigger and go for the blind buy.

With not much info online about any of the 2016 "green" TF line, I called the NY store and talked to a very persuasive rep that raved about Vert d'Encens being her favorite, so I went for it.

Notes are blended perfectly as if you're on your way to some enchanted forest party and nothing really starts until you arrive.

I can't wait for fall/winter..

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Tom Ford Vert d'Encens fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Tom Ford Vert d'Encens, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.