Designers » T-Z » Oriental « Groups

Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women

Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women
dislike

I have it: 1114 I had it: 428 I want it: 603 My signature: 4

Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures Vanille Noire Yves Rocher for women Pictures

Vanille Noire is a part of Secrets d'Essences Collection (fifth fragrance), the fragrance was introduced on September 2010 in Europe, after Voile d’Ambre, Rose Absolue, Iris Noir and Tendre Jasmin.

"Between freshness and sensuality, transparency and depth, gently reveals its woody temperament as it mingles with your skin. This scent was created using the three best types of Vanilla, which reveal a treasure trove of nuances and subtleties on your skin: absolute of Bourbon Vanilla, sensual with leathery accents; absolute of Tahitian Vanilla, soft and floral; and absolute of Uganda Vanilla, with its woody, spicy character."

The fragrance is available in eau de parfum (1.7 oz, 50ml), roll-on (0.34 fl.oz), Shower gel and Body lotion (6.7 fl.oz). The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Cavallier.

Virginia Cedar Vanille Mandarin Orange Mimosa Orange Blossom

Vanilla Lace

Vanille Noire Fragrance Reviews

phurstclass
phurstclass

A mature cultured fragrance for the discerning. I particularly associate it with warm summer evenings in Mediterranean countries.

powderedvanilla
powderedvanilla

I like this one. I have the small bottle and use it sparingly. The scent doesn't seem to last long, though.

polly golightly
polly golightly

per chi si aspetta una vaniglia gotica questo profumo sarà una delusione; per nulla nera, questa vaniglia non è neanche esageratamente gourmand e dolce. si tratta di un accordo che ricorda Poison Hypnotic, ma che risulta meno prorompente, e che richiama anche kenzo amour. a me però piace perchè è lievemente floreale e anche agrumata di mandarino. easy, non soffocante, neppure aromatica, ma dignitosa e gradevole.

LadyIva
LadyIva

I love vanilla and I own some quite heady vanilla fragrances, such as Guerlain Shalimar (smoky-dusty vanilla), MFK Oud Satin Mood (dark, smooth rose-vanilla) and YSL Manifesto Elixir (tooth-achingly-sweet vanilla). However, Yves Rocher Vanille Noire is nothing like these powerhouses; instead, this is a very soft and subtle vanilla fragrance. It sits close to the skin and doesn't develop much. Nevertheless, I like it a lot, because it's pleasant and attractive in a very understated way. This is an olfactory equivalent of a tan dress that's not too revealing, but it hugs you in all the right places and makes you feel efortlessly sexy. Vanille Noire has another thing going for it: guys love it! Even men who claim that they cannot tolerate women's perfumes are drawn by this pleasantly delicate scent like moths to a flame. ;-)

AndreiCristian
AndreiCristian

Im a guy and i find it sexy. Is a good fragrance (and i dont like women perfumes )
This is 100% for women , i cant imagine this on a guy.

heltorn
heltorn

One of the best vanilla scent ever! Powdery vanilla, sweet, deep and warm. The most amazing thing is that you definitely feel the presence of other notes, but you cannot describe them clearly, they are just to fetch out nuances there. It's like to add a touch of red in a black paint. It will remain black but with some hidden glister.
Pure sex in the bottle!

wildangel72
wildangel72

I was hoping for a dark and complex vanilla scent, but I found this one to be a very linear, pedestrian vanilla. I don't get any citrus at all, and can't detect the woods; just plain, sweet vanilla. On me, this pretty much smells exactly like I went into my spice cabinet, found the vanilla extract, and splashed some on to wear as perfume.

Granted, it's like quality organic vanilla extract; the scent is rich and semi-long-lasting. But in the end, you're still just wearing vanilla extract. Since it's a good vanilla, with decent longevity and sillage, I'll use this as a layering scent when another fragrance wants a hint of sweetness or needs warming up. Too linear and sweet to be worn alone for me. I'd give it a 6 out of 10. It's quality, but very simple.

orangepekoe
orangepekoe

I think it's too sweet Most of Yves Rocher scents are too sweet. I wish they can bring back some of the old scents.

AngelAlien
AngelAlien

This is a beautiful, delicious vanilla perfume. Real, true, creamy soft, dark and mysterious vanilla. Very enveloping and smooth. Very comforting, and a dream to wear. It lasts extremely well on me, with a soft, wafting sillage, which is often complimented. It also has a gorgeous smooth woody/slightly spicy edge, which gives it a sensuously arresting feel. It's a great favourite. I love wearing it, especially on cold, rainy days. Comforting and warm. Gorgeous.

minnicikim
minnicikim

cold weather, it's the right time to wear this perfume, 'cos it really reminds me the yellow leaves, the wind, the winter, the falling snow.

I bought this at the summer with a really good discount and since then, I've been waiting to use it in the perfect season which is the winter and finally it happened and I must say this juice is real gem in a rainy and cold weather.

have a perfumey day :)

danyel02
danyel02

This is a really nice vanilla scent. Like other people have mentioned it is not a sweet or sugary vanilla, instead think dark and sensuous. On my skin it projects well but it is not very long lasting.

For The Love of Perfume
For The Love of Perfume

Such a warm, dark, smooth and sensual vanilla....I just wish it lasted longer.

Miss-Fragrance62
Miss-Fragrance62

Il n'y a que moi qui trouve qu'il ressemble à Kenzo amour?

ZELJO
ZELJO

its dark but warm,perfect for a novembers day like this,slighty spicy and gente,not too strong,no gourmand at all and quite mysterious,totally unisex and as good as all other ítems in the Secret d,essences line,fine well blended edp a dark horse

Suzybee
Suzybee

To me, this smells more floral and soapy than Vanilla. I had high hopes for this one and it's just ok. I'm glad I purchased the small sample bottle of this for $5 instead of the 1.6 oz bottle. I've smelled better vanilla scents....

velvetnightmares
velvetnightmares

A very warm and smooth vanilla scent. This perfume contains 3 types of vanilla, bourbon vanilla, Ugandan vanilla and Tahitian vanilla. On my skin the bourbon vanilla is standing out more, which makes it almost creamy, velvety and powdery, but I can also pick up on the woodsy notes from the Ugandan vanilla. It is a very comforting scent, and for me it works best in cold weather.

If you are looking for a REAL vanilla scent, that doesn't come off as synthetic or overly sweet, then this would be a great choice.

laulaura
laulaura

Dark vanilla, it was a blind buy.I like it. It has a natural vanila smell with a dark aura.sweet, woody and a little spicy. It has a natural vanilla smell, not one bit artificial.i don't find it powdery but soft.
It smells like a vanilla pouding , delicious
And has a touch of incens, a dark tone wich makes it intense and sexy
I feel in my element when wearing it but it can be sometimes boring, they don t smell similar but if i want a coconut smell i go for Versace Crystal Noir wich has a beautiful coconut smell without being boring, it is sublime that one.
Anyways i like Vanille Noire, if i want to smell like vanilla this has a nice natural vanilla smell

karmalv
karmalv

Nice,dark-ish vanilla (I think I'm getting a lot of cedar?)
I can see why people are comparing it to Hypnotic Poison but it's definitely not a dupe, it's warm vanilla but it's much more neutral, it doesn't have what makes Hypnotic Poison Hypnotic Poison.
I think pretty much everyone who likes HP will like this but even people who don't like HP will probably like this.
If you don't wanna wear HP and similar vanilla based fragrances by day or in warmer months this should be a good alternative.

Lady Tessa
Lady Tessa

This was a blind buy for me; most of my wardrobe is. anyway, was looking for a winter fragrance and read the reviews on here and thought this would be a safe blind buy and that vanilla for the most part is usually a safe fragrance. I don't go out of my way to find vanilla fragrances because I find many of them are super sweet to me and I'm not one for sweet fragrances. Anyway, it is vanilla. And I learned that there is a difference between enjoying vanilla and appreciating how it can work with other notes and LOVING vanilla. It seems I am in the former. I have other fragrances with vanilla, but apparently nothing with this much overt vanilla. To me it is almost a stinging, sharp vanilla. I find it has fair longevity, about 5-7 hours depending on weather. But this is not me. However, my daughter who adores vanilla and is in the other group has adopted it and given it a loving home. Not a bad blind buy, but if you don't like your vanilla front and center, this is not for you. It would likely be fun to layer with, I imagine, if that is something you enjoy.

Miffy8900
Miffy8900

A cozy and warm and elegant deep vanilla. A refreshing change from the usual vanilla fragrances that are tooth achingly sweet. Somehow I find this a bit christmassy. The cedar and mimosa gives it a ''perfumey'' touch so it doesn't become a plain, edible vanilla dessert. A lovely, classy fragrance in a pretty bottle. Lasts for ages. A true classic from Yves Rocher.

deviation
deviation

Opening is vanilla and musk here(not listed) and stays that way even after the dry down. The vanilla note here is your true vanilla note like the one found in vanilla essence. No resemblance what so ever with Dior Hypnotic Poison. Nothing powdery. Feels like a unisex scent to me, a bit more masculine in my opinion because of the way how musk smells.

freddinos
freddinos

Vanille yes, noir not so much.
I was very intrigued by the name and reviews and wanted to try it, and ended up with yet another blind buy. Vanille Noir felt like a very safe option for daytime to me, good for anyone who likes vanilla based scents. I found nothing woody or dark smelling in it, and it very much reminded me of Kenzo in Madagascar. It was fresh and simple, sweet and short lasting. I would have kept it, but I am really looking for a dark vanilla perfume at the moment. Still consider it nice and very well made as per most Yves Rocher perfumes, but I wish they had named it appropriately; 'Vanille Claire' would have been better:)

phoebe25
phoebe25

I love anything vanilla. It has a very warm, comforting, cozy fragrance, and I like to put some on my wrists at bedtime and it helps relax me into sleep. It does have staying power. When I wake up I can still smell it faintly on my wrists.

redcapricorn
redcapricorn

I ordered a mini bottle of this from eBay after reading the reviews here and knowing that it's hard to go wrong with Yves Rocher. This is a nice, woody, spicy, boozy vanilla. It does vaguely remind me of Hypnotic Poison except that I actually like this fragrance, and I don't get the yucky Playdough problem on my skin that I get with HP. For some reason, this one reminds me of a darkened jazz club. Maybe it's the slight booziness to it. This is a keeper for cold weather.

lulu169

this is awesome but not as much feminine, this is actually unisex, rather on the masculine side due to the lack of floral components, and I get clearly tobacco, which is dark and suits men perfectly. love

cupcakeprincessponies
cupcakeprincessponies

Yes yes yes Yves Rocher!! Soft, creamy, powdery vanilla.
Yummy! I bought this perfume as a blind buy.. I didn't recieve with the post yet, so today when I walked past an Yves Rocher store I was so excited to go in and try it. At first spritz it was just "okay".. but after it settled it turned into something so dreamy.

The opening does remind me to Hypnotic Poison, but this one is a lot more gentle. So if you think HP is a bit overwhelming but you like the scent, this one is perfect for you!

I also imagine this is a perfect perfume to wear on cold cozy evening as well as on a date. Because it is creamy, flirtatious, with a hint of sweetness and it is close to skin, so your date will want to get really close to you ;-)

I will definately wear this a lot in fall!

Mirabele

This is a lovely simple vanilla scent, for all who loves vanilla. I don’t smell much of any other notes, this is simple about vanilla. I do find it similar to Hypnotic Poison, but I think Vanille Noire is better, because it is less sweet. I am not a fan of vanilla scents, and usually dislike most that have a prominent vanilla note. I often find these too sweet and too dessert-like and smells like that I prefer in my kitchen not on my body.
I bought it with intention to wear at home as a cozy/cuddly scent, but did not wear this often, so I decided to swap it at the end. After several tries I concluded this wasn’t for me after all. It was too sweet and too childish and kind of scent I could see my little daughter to wear one day when she will be a teenage, but not a grown up woman like myself.
The price is very reasonable, so it is a good option if you are on a limited budget. I think of Vanille Noire as a kind of vanilla scent for those who do not like vanilla that much or prefer their vanilla dry and not gourmand-like. i think you can also use it for layering as a vanilla base to soften other scents.

milazinha
milazinha

I have a roll-on bottle of this. Love! This is what I wear when I have no idea what perfume to wear (lol). It is a sexy, sultry vanilla, sweet but not overly so. A hint of warm spice. I cannot imagine this being offensive to anyone.

Madrona
Madrona

The first alcohol-laden spritz reminded me of a hypothetical Jägermeister vanilla. The drydown is as vanilla-y as it is non-foody. Positively woody and surprisingly smoky, this is vanilla done right, a comfortably round and deep scent that does not tickle your nostrils. On my skin it reminds me of the very base notes of Shalimar with all the middle and top notes shaved off and no moss. Back to basics, but these are some sophisticated basics.

dness92
dness92

my mom uses this and it smells of very rich vanilla, kinda like a luxurious coffee shop. not my style but it's definitely cozy and gorgeous!

pchmad
pchmad

VERY sexy vanilla, so elegant and soft, bit sweet maybe, powdery and warm. I finished the bottle. I loved the smell but I felt like it wasn't MY perfume... any way worth to give it a try, is reeeeeeeeally good <3

Josy708
Josy708

This is my favorite perfume ever!!!!! It smells sooow good!!! And as a singer I love to wear this because I'm still able to breathe haha it's so good. My sister loves it to... It's the best perfume I have ever smelled...

partypooper
partypooper

Bought blind because it was 50% off. Read many comments on lack of longevity elsewhere but it's quite long lasting on me - it's just that the scent stays very close to the skin and has little projection. So don't expect lots of sillage.
Vanille Noire is not a gourmand vanilla despite mentions of ice creams and cakes by some. This is not the kind of vanilla in Un bois vanille, for example.
It's quite linear on me, and smells like a softer version of Midnight in Paris (dry-down). For the price, it's a good fragrance to play with.

deb.martinez
deb.martinez

Came today in mail! I really like it alot,but that being said,it is very similar and along the lines of Roberto Cavali Nero which i own. I think its more vanillary which is just fine by me!!! Its not as Noir as Roberto but its woodier! I see no reason not to own both! Keeper! Love it!!!!

MissGirly87
MissGirly87

This was so disappointing for me. I'm a huge vanilla and gourmand lover but this did not work on me at all...maybe my body chemistry or maybe I got a bad sample (I ordered a sample vial online), but to me, this is just not reminiscent of what I like vanilla to smell like.

I'm not trying to knock the fragrance and I have to wonder if maybe it's just the sample I got since other people seem to love this...however in the spirit of writing a productive review...yes, it does smell like several different types of vanilla (supposed to be comprised of three distinct vanilla scents), which is interesting. Yes, it is not very foody or gourmandy, if that is what you are after - I definitely detect some spice/woods in there. However I won't be going for the FB anytime soon. I can think of several other vanillas out there that I prefer...I'm so disappointed I won't be adding this to my collection!!

Hildegerd
Hildegerd

Not a "foody" vanilla, wonderful scent.

hsheep
hsheep

Ooooh, a very nice and dark(ish) vanilla. It's not a midnight sort of dark, the cedar is actually quite light mixed with the mimosa. They keep this fragrance on the brighter side. The vanilla is most prominent and surprisingly natural smelling, nothing is very sharp in this perfume. It's very cozy, a little spicy and warm.

It's along the same lines as Cologne of the Missions in terms of its vanilla, a touch boozy, but I don't want to eat it. The biggest difference is the cedar I think. It dries as a skin scent like most of my vanillas and seems to last a few hours.

It's definitely worth a try for vanilla lovers, I really enjoy it! Not full bottle worthy for me, as I like to inhale a richer vanilla than this.

nero77
nero77

Rich, Subtle Vanilla...

A great Vanilla scent here. One which is not too expensive, and which smells real and natural. Vanilla is generally one of my favourite smells, and I think this one would work great on both sexes. I have always appreciated everything I've tried so far from Yves Rocher. This one is no exception. I think the quality is great for what you get, and they always try to use natural ingredients as much as possible.

Vanille Noire is a linear Vanilla scent, but therein lies the beauty. It's a simple blend of real, natural smelling Vanilla pods and orange blossom with a hint of mandarin orange. I love it. A clean base of cedar finishes off the composition nicely. I enjoy this one more than I did Yves Rocher Cedre Bleu, which was a Vanilla-Cedar combo but which was too powdery for my taste. I like this one a lot better and it smells more natural. Great for men or women, and great for layering. A good, natural, simple Vanilla scent... and good for the price too. Not bad.

SwishingtonGrimble
SwishingtonGrimble

Lasts for days on clothing, days.

I didn't enjoy it to begin with, it was almost too fresh and I veer toward the musty, but I gave it a couple more airings and it's actually really, very nice and cheap enough to splash about without a thought.

Dark vanilla fragrance on the cedar base. I should try it again. The first sniff was ehh without vanilla( The second was more vanillized:) Maybe the third will be waesome. I have a crush on oriental fragrances now, I guess that I will like it more.

Now I like it more than Vanille Bournon. It's more natural and complex.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

The closest scent to a real vanilla bourbon. Not an artificial or sweet one, just genuine vanilla. It stays very close to your skin which is maybe not good if you like everyone to be able to smell your perfume, but on the other hand it maybe a great virtue in the world full of sweet and overpowering vaniline-smelling scents. A real treasure.

rougenoirmakeup
rougenoirmakeup

The main note in this for me is burning wood. The vanilla hides under the woodsy notes for a while and starts to unfold after ~10 minutes on the skin. Personally I really like the burning note with the vanilla, it's not pungent at all, but more like a soft, heady, comforting burning scent that reminds me of falling asleep next to a fireplace. It's just a very comfortable scent to wear and still a little different from other vanilla fragrances I've tried. I'd give this 8/10 - it's not perfect, but very pleasant. It's my go-to fragrance at the moment as it suits autumn and winter perfectly.

Mirabele

This is actually very pleasant smelling perfume for a very good price. I didn’t like it a lot when I tried it first (about a year ago or so). I didn’t think it was Noire at all and too sweet for my taste. I also thought it wasn’t memorable at all. And forgot about it for some time.
In the meantime I tested Hypnotic poison, liked it in the beginning, but realized later it was too sweet, too gourmand vanilla, reminded some scented accessories for children and I generally felt too mature for it.
Now lately I remembered I had a sample of this and felt urge to test it again. I can see remarkable similarity with Hypnotic poison, but I actually like Vanille Noire much more. While both are boozy sweet vanillas, I find vanilla Noire less sweet and more grown up like. Please do not misunderstand me. I like vanilla as a smell. But I think it is hard to find vanilla that I would be comfortable to wear as a perfume. I just don’t want that edible type vanilla that smells like something from a kitchen.
Vanilla Noire made me actually to consider buying a bottle of this goodness. It is long lasting, stays close to skin – two important things that I like my perfumes to be. It is not very “Noire”, but it is dark enough for me to consider having a bottle in my wardrobe. I imagine it being very good for layering as well.
Vanille Noir is simple lovely vanilla scent. It is boozy (don’t know where this is coming from) and sweet but not sugary sweet. I find it actually sensual and feminine. I am not sure if i smell any cedar wood there, though I'd wish to. I smell citrus just shortly in the opening, then it dries down to all about vanilla.
The more i try it, the more i realise i would not be comfortable wearing this. though i like it a lot as a scent, i may pass this time.
To try for all vanilla fans.

rainbowwriter91
rainbowwriter91

I love this one a lot! A very soft, sweet, seductive, feminine and sophisticated fragrance. I can't stop smelling on it. It's also joyful to me, it feels like a day fragrance. Definitely a fall fragrance. The best vanilla fragrance that I've tried so far. As sweet and sensual it is, it's also a strong fragrance of great quality because it lasts long on your skin. Strength doesn't mean heaviness here, it's still a very light scent. Absolutely worth the money.

SuShine
SuShine

I adore this perfume, two of my favourite smells, the pages of old books and creamy vanilla...LOVELY.

Zetamamman
Zetamamman

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on me- smells like a cheap teenage scent and gives me a headache.

Loca del Tó
Loca del Tó

This is my cheap, everyday alternative to Hypnotic Poison. It has more wood and is a bit dryer, and somehow more unisex but it has a similar sophisticated, non sugary, adult vanilla vibe. And sometimes you can get it at half its price if you come across one of those YR sales.

lulu169

love at first sniff!!! but wait a minute...I have already smelled this before - its Alien Essence Absolue, my absolute love, which I, of course, already own, so Im gonna pass on this.

Stinkerd
Stinkerd

A woody, dark, spicy vanilla. Fell in love at the first whiff and have since made sure to have at least 3 bottles on hand in case it ever gets pulled. It's not too sweet as usually is the case for me with other vanilla scents, which is a big plus if you don't want to smell like baked goods.

lfarinas
lfarinas

A basic vanilla scent that isn't too sweet. Its nice, If you like vanilla you'll like this. Doesn't last, couple hrs at most but they sell small cheap & cute purse sizes that you can carry around and reaply throught the day.

jazzypom
jazzypom

Bought this as a blind purchase. It's a pretty different vanilla- the cedar lends a slightly bitter, astringent note that balances the sweet, creamy notes of vanilla. Its scent doesn't linger on my skin, but it does cling to fabric. I'm glad I bought it. It's not a sweet, girly, gourmand kind of perfume. It's the sharp scent of cedar with the sugar of vanilla and it smells more expensive than it is.

Minah
Minah

I like vanilla notes in perfumes and I can definitely feel the vanilla in this one as well, but it doesn't smell very sweet, but rather dark, woody and a little bit milky. It's a perfume suitable from women in their 20's and 30's,even early 40's. Strong and feminine!
But, I don't like that the fragrance is not persistent. Also, when I spray it on my skin it smells only if I put my nose really up close to the area I sprayed on, but it doesn't difuse into the air not even a bit, so it's difficult to sense the smell of the fragrance.

rae18
rae18

I have just got this perfume today and I love it just wish it had a bit more lasting power as it seems to fade quite quickly.
It's a lovely grown-up vanilla perfume lovely milky and sexy.

miZZpuRRfect
miZZpuRRfect

Every man out there will wanting to eat u up with this. Not about some boring foody sweetness, but because it s so dark sexy and elegant. It smells like pure feminity. Guess it s the most perfect temptress scent i ever had.

Petunia50
Petunia50

Vanille Noire by Yves Rocher is a elegant sheer citrus and vanilla scent. When I first spray it on, I get a blast of Mandarine Orange which soon softens into a nice sheer feminine vanilla. VN is not super sweet nor is it particularly noire yet it is fairly sophisticated for a vanilla perfume. IMO, VN could be worn in the summer months because of it's transparency. Very good quality for the price. I'm happy to have this in my collection.

zzzmk
zzzmk

Vanilla land of dreams!

Secrets d'Essences is a line of perfume by Yves Rocher, which is very successful and refined. The collection I have a full-size Iris Noir and Vanilla Noire, which I love, and I have most of the series as thumbnails 5 ml.

Vanille noire particularly captivated me, the combination of several species of vanilla and cedar trees are something to my liking. Smell has a good projection, develops gradually, but does not change drastically and is long lasting. Of people around me, I heard the opinion that although the scent is feminine, it is in itself a delicate masculine note.

The bottle is simple, but the simplicity that looks stylish and elegant.

LaviniaMidnight
LaviniaMidnight

I was playing around with some of my pretties but cheapies, and layered this one with Delicious Vanilla. Together they made a mouthwatering concoction, the Vanille Noire added a rich sophisticated note to the sweet synthetic Delicious. My nine year old son told me I smelled like a yummy cupcake. I don't wear vanilla very often, but I'm enjoying this so much that I think I will be adding it to my regular repertoire. I hope Yves Rocher doesn't discontinue, as they tend to do with their best fragrances. I still miss Rose Absolue.

Sniezel
Sniezel

Love this one all the way. Vanille Noire gives you everything you expect from it: a dark, balsamic, smoky vanilla scent. It doesn't smell as cheap and generic as some other vanilla-infused scents, and one me it lasts for about five hours, which personally I think is great for such and affordable scent.

AbBlue
AbBlue

Well, I wouldn'tt say its unisex... but I dont care. I like it so I bought my own bottle.
To be honest, for my ex works wonderful... on me not so much, but still I enjoy it. If someone ask me why it is special, I would say it is because of Mr. Cavallier. It has that something that is there only for those who take the time, those who dare to try. Some of his creations seem to be boring, but I f you try theres more waiting.
In Vanille Noire that something is a playful chord that escapes from time to time, a little bit citrus, salty, and flowery. Depending on temperature and skin chemistry, it remind me sometimes of and old book, and some other time, walking near the sea in a place we have in Mexico, called Veracruz, that happens to be a producer of vanilla.
___
Bien, no me atrevería a decir que es unisex, pero no me importa. Me gusta tanto que compré mi propia botella.
Para ser honesto, a mi ex le funciona de maravilla, no tanto a mí, pero aún así, lo disfruto. Si tuviera que explicar por qué es especial, diría que es por el señor Cavallier. Tiene ese algo que está ahí para quienes se toman el tiempo, para quienes se atreven a probarlo. Algunas de sus creaciones pueden parecer aburridas, pero si las pruebas, hay más esperando.
En Vanille Noire, diría que ese algo es un acorde juguetón que escapa de cuando en cuando, un poco cítrico, un poco salado, un poco floral. Dependiendo de la temperatura y la química propia, me recuerda a veces a un libro viejo o a una caminata por el Malecón de Veracruz, un lugar que tenemos aquí en México donde se produce y comercializa vainilla.

insolence
insolence

I picture a woman walking in the park full of cedar trees, eating her vanilla ice-cream. The sun is so warm that the ice-cream starts to melt on her skin and now she smells of the sun, trees and milky vanilla.

This is sweet, almost gourmand vanilla. I don't find it noire and smoky at all, but a hint of woodiness certainly makes this fragrance more interesting than some typical mono vanilla scents. I can also get a whiff of citruses from time to time.

Vanille Noir is simple but charming. Smells natural, stays close to the skin. I think it could be a great scent for spending time in nature reading books or doing yoga. Next time I visit some mountain resort in September/October, I'll take Vanille with me. It's just too weak and transparent to be suitable for the cold winter months.

Leah lilly
Leah lilly

my favorite, simply it's sophisticated and chic fragrance.
Love it ^_^

Ladusvala
Ladusvala

It is not super long-lasting on me (well, my skin seems to drink up perfume, so that is normal...) but this smells like actual vanilla! None of the sickening sweetness here. It is just like the smell you get of a vanilla bean when you slice it open. Love it.

I can't really tell much of the other notes, but a bit of white flowery something (orange blossom?). My ability to discern them is terrible anyway.

sophiesnose
sophiesnose

I work with children and often wear vanilla scents to work. When a child hugs me they usually nuzzle in and tell me I smell like a cupcake. But one can't go through life smelling like a cupcake every day! This one is more grown up and sophisticated. It is a bit spicier and darker than the usual candy-ish vanilla scents out there. Because I wear it so often I would say it my signature scent. I'm so worried about offending people with scent intolerances (my mother gets horrible migraines), and I've never had a problem with this one to my knowledge. It's safe for any occasion and I genuinely like it, so I find myself reaching for it a lot. It's delicious.

icysdn
icysdn

of all the perfumes in yves rocher store that i tested, only this one got me right in the first sniff. pure and embracing vanilla in a little dark bottle. its not cake sweet, it is mature and plain vanilla. it doesnt confuse you with lots of notes, yet it is stunning. good to have in winter. actually, just two words are enough to describe it: deep & sexy.
yves rocher, when you gonna have that huge 50% discount on everything again?!

Dara813
Dara813

This is a really well-done vanilla and that's not always easy to find. I find that vanilla can come up smelling very synthetic, way too sweet, or smell too much like root beer in so many scents. This one doesn't try to mix vanilla with too many fruits or flowers. It's simple yet beautiful and perfect for anyone who loves vanilla but is tired of vanilla scents that really just try too hard. This has surprisingly good longevity. I got a good 7+ hours on my wrist and I can still smell it on my sweater today and I sprayed it yesterday.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

I don't quite understand what took me so long to purchase Vanille Noire, as I love vanilla scents. Somehow every time I tried this in the YR store it smelled bland to me and not sweet enough. But I only tried on paperstrip every time.
Now I finally went for a small bottle of this, because the reviews caught my interest. Now I finally got to give it a normal wearing and I'm actually quite pleased with it. It's better on skin as it is on paper for sure.
The vanilla in this is far from gourmand. Instead it's kinda smokey in the opening, then gets woodier as it dries down. When the smokiness disappears I detect sensual soft, slightly sweet & powdery mimosa, which stays for the entire scentlife.
It's a good quality fragrance with soft to moderate sillage and good longevity of 6-8 hours.
Easily unisex.

szilvihorv
szilvihorv

I love the idea of a vanilla scent that doesn't try to be cute or sweet or lovely. No, Vanille Noire is dark and mysterious, woody with a hint of spices and smokiness. This is so much more than what it looks like, and that's mainly because it contains three different vanilla essences from around the world: a beautiful blend of woody and spicy characters that are too precious to be present in your everyday smell of vanilla products. Cedar doubles the joy and even though I cannot smell any citrusy edge to it or even a hint of orange blossom after the initial spray, the mimosa plays out beautifully later on transforming Vanille Noire into a more comfortable, cozy vanilla scent.

kelly76
kelly76

Vanille Noire has something that attracts in a subtle and discreet way.
The three best-quality of vanilla from around the world give at composition looks spicy and hot, nothing cloying or edible, only the true aroma of vanilla bean.
Simple, natural, no frills, minimal, almost austere. Vanille Noire does not try to please everyone. Totally misses the "girlie factor" characteristic of many gourmand fragrances and I like that a lot.
Adult, elegant (cedar does his part), very close to the skin.
It makes me think of a diva from film noir of the 30s, vampy lips, dressed in a male way, smoking a cuban cigar but that hides a languid side.
Her sweetness comes out after 15 minutes, when the fragrance is warmed by body heat.
(I think its only little flaw is the weak sillage, maybe I would have preferred something of more enveloping).

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

For the longest time, I thought this was for men. My boyfriend had the whole Vanille Noire set to which I found out later that it's actually made for women. Had me fooled! And my boyfriend too! I blame the dark and simple packaging. I find this very masculine from the cedar note. Its very pungent like your smelling a giant plank of cedar. The vanilla is syrupy and boozy. The other notes like mandarin orange I cannot detect. There are hints of florals but they are crushed from the weight of the wood and vanilla. For men: if you like vanilla and sweets but dont want to smell like a cupcake and you dont want to pay a fortune, then this is for you. It is gorgous on my boyfriend and it is also great for layering.

Overall: Cedar shavings and boozy vanilla. Long lasting and heavy. Unisex(but I find it leaning more masculine).

elmizakamarulzaman
elmizakamarulzaman

Dying to try this but unfortunately it is not available in my country and I'm wondering if I can get it online and deliver to Malaysia.

chjena
chjena

The name "Noire" is added not accidentally. Beside the sweetness of vanilla, we can smell few quite masculine tones. The first addition is whisky, cognac or any other drink, which is popular in the male circle. And when talking about these kinds of alcohol, we can't forget about smoking cigars - the second perceptible note to my nose outside the pyramide. Vanille Noire ends with leather and cedar, resemblance to black briefcase in the vapour of eau de cologne.

With all this masculine base Vanille Noire is further more inspiring or even feminine fragrance than ordinary, sweet vanilla surrounded by notes like pralines, caramel or fruit. Absolutely lovely in winter, but also very suitable for goodnight, taken to bedroom.

Grodanmimmi

Recently bought guerlain shalimar, i think vanille noir is a similar scent, with the Wood vanilla and citrus notes. I would wear vanille noir in daytime and shalimar in the evening. Wonderful scent!

Guest_theperfumedveil
Guest_theperfumedveil

I didn't like this much at first but recently, I have revisited it. I sense a boozy vanilla tempered by woods. It is much more pleasant than other dark vanillas. On the Yves Rocher website, it is described as a bourbon-like vanilla and I can totally see that now. Plus, they are having a sale where you can get a big bottle for under 40 bucks. I think I will treat myself.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

This seems like an odd treatment of vanilla. Cedar and mimosa produce an oddly hazy, woody and almost ozonic disarray with vanilla. Maybe I'm a purist but I don't think vanilla should be stuck inside of a green, cedar forest. Vanilla for me belongs among tropical elements or amber or something that will bring out its cozy sensuality.

Note: Not as huggable and dreamy as Madagascan Vanilla Flower.

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

This is a fragrance for one of those days you just don't want to get out of bed, bust still have to go to work. It's comforting, warm, sweet (but not TOO sweet) and casual, like a hug from an old friend. I don't reach for it often, but when I do, I love it.

mizzjnice
mizzjnice

Delicious! If Hypnotic Poison and Reglisse Noir had a baby, this would be it. I love both, so I'm really enjoying this! It has the vanilla and root beer of HP and the black licorice of Reglisse Noir. I'm surprised licorice isn't listed in the notes because it smells like that on me.

Even though it might sound very gourmand or cloying, it's not. It's very sensual but fresh enough for daytime, whereas the other two are more nighttime scents to me.

darksome
darksome

It indeed shares some similarities with the Hypnotic Poison line, but it's thinner, woodier and has a ozonic/aquatic note to it. Mediocre for a woman, but somehow I think this would be a winner on a man's skin.

judyk
judyk

Sadly, no.

I can see the Hypnotic Poison references although this particular woodiness makes it quite different, too. And I also get the aquatic note some have mentioned. The scent lasts well - I could easily smell it 5 hours in.

But it just doesn't work for me. The vanilla, the cedar (a note I normally adore in high doses), the mimosa and the mandarin just clash.

I'd read the reviews (thank you), so at least I wasn't shocked and dismayed when it didn't smell as I'd hoped it would. But I had hoped... (Voile d'Ambre on the other hand - purrrrrrrrr!)

redpsylocke
redpsylocke

I love vanilla and every sort of it; cremy, milky, fresh, flowery, sweet and woody. I have the vanilla body cream and shower gel and the small vanilla edt from Yves Rocher but i was looking something a bit deeper than the vanilla edt I have for daily use. As you would guess i was so tempted by the commercials and bottle picture. I bought the 30ml and tried it on. It was very fresh citrusy vanilla with 3 hours of longevity. The dry down is more woody than citrusy. It was not a very bold parfume and not a sweet one either. But i was a bit dissapointed by my boy friends comment which was "vanilla toothpaste". I would suggest this parfume to people that are looking for a non-sweet and nonoffensive alternative of a vanilla parfumes out there. It is not a cheap smelling parfume and it has definetly has character but i can not categorize it as a sophisticated and deep vanilla as the comercials imply. I also find the longevity of the Yves Rocher parfumes very poor but this is compensated with their prices.

Grodanmimmi

A comforting and sexy vanilla with a little woody notes and a hint of citrus, 10/10

carolynnj
carolynnj

I think this is the dream scent for a woman who wants to attract outdoorsy men... the vanilla component is wonderful but that burning smell is overpowering, and leaves me on the verge of a headache.

I sprayed it and three hours later I felt like I had sprayed vanilla on me then sat around a campfire. If that's your style, more power to you, but it just made me feel like I had burned a marshmallow, dropped it into old campfire ash and rolled around in it for awhile. Not being a camper, it's just not for me - I don't want to be reminded of mosquitos and poor sleeping conditions! It would be like sprinkling hickory sticks on salmon and calling it smoked salmon - it's just not quite right! :) Some say plywood and I'd say "burned pressboard." I'm jealous of those who enjoy the dry down... I felt like I was left with all smoke, no vanilla. The women at the store said it's a "love it or hate it" kind of smell.

Yves Rocher makes fantastic smells for affordable prices... Flower party by night, jasmine and organic vanilla are awesome, but this one is definitely NOT for me!

Silvery
Silvery

Beautiful! I'm in love!
I've never imagined that a "simple" vanilla scent could be so wonderful! After sprinkling it on my wrist, there's a sweet but sophisticated vanilla blast immediately, which dries down in a very mysterious and cool way. It's so woody that almost makes the fragrance suited for men too. You may think I'm weird, but for first it remids me of Kenzo Amour Le Parfum (but that's sweeter and rice-like etc.) and later gets similar to Boss Bottled (it's more feminine of course). Dark one for sure! I really like these kind of perfumes, they get me think of a sexy, determined, smart and strong woman, who knows what she wants and achieves it too ;) I can't stop sniffing my wrist :D Must have!

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

I've waited quite a while to smell this and was recently gifted a mini by a generous member here. When I first applied it, the vanilla was warm and smooth and overlaying another familiar scent. Was it a horse stall? Faint manure and woodchips? Hm, actually it's the goat barn at the fair. Call me crazy, but that scent actually makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy inside. It does smell aquatic in the drydown with a bit drier vanilla, retaining the sawdust note. This is an unusual scent and I can see some people not liking it. For me, it's interesting and enjoyable.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

a warm, sensuous vanilla scent, and yes there is an almondy sweetness to it that is reminiscent of hypnotic poison, but there's something slightly powdery-floral to this in addition, as well as cedar. i can't tell what note it is, but it's definitely there. i was pleasantly surprised by this-i think it'd be beautiful on a cold winter evening.

also my boyfriend absolutely loves the shower gel, and has hinted heavily at it, so i think i will get him some. ;)

Emma0714
Emma0714

I feel like Consuela from Family Guy sniffing this.

"Nooo.. noooo. Nooo Mr Perfume no here. Nooo no"

angelesgarcia222
angelesgarcia222

I love vanilla on perfumes, but this one smells too much of wood, too woody for me. I had it, but I'm not buying it again

Christina0065
Christina0065

I just received a small bottle of this today. I thought I would love it, because I have the D'Ambre and absolautely love that, but this to me smells like you spilled vanilla extract onto some plywood.

villevalo
villevalo

good one, bue the longvity is so poor :(

dalmajen
dalmajen

„A Simple Solution..”
I'm so pleased I have the opportunity to test this perfume, as I have been curious about it for some time. As I already have Voile d'Ambre,from this house, and enjoy it, I wondered just what sort of vanilla fragrance this would turn out to be. First of all, it doesn't strike me as a Noire type. It doesn't seem to be deep enough for that Noire word, which seems to be the Trend these days). We all know that Black is sexy, but so many Noire fragrances around! Anyway, back to subject! I got a slight whiff of the Mimosa on the opening..but it faded very quickly. I could detect the orange blossom, but it certainly is low key. Coming to the dry down, cedar is evident, but rather overwhelmed by the vanilla, which is perfectly understandable, as it is complete vanilla scent. The vanilla in this is similar to the vanilla in L.T. Piver..Heliotrope Blanc. A kind of vanilla essence vibe. But, the dry down is not over sweet at all. It hasn't got the zing that some of the other vanilla fragrances have, in this price range. It just seems to be a good, solid, everyday type of vanilla. So, if you are looking for a safe, not too complex vanilla perfume, this could be the simple solution.

I have to agree to the opinions that Vanille Noir is very similar to Hypnotic Poison by Dior. The same dominating vanilla cake note.
So if someone wants to save money, and likes Hypnotic Poison, could buy Vanille Noir instead.

lucy77
lucy77

one word LOVE!!!!
its amazing perfume, well done!!!!
my best one!

vesna
vesna

I love this fragrance, it smells great on my skin. Soft vanilla accompanied with orange blossom and cedar (which I can detect as most prominent notes)gives a feeling of warmth, coziness and relaxation. In the dray down it's even better, its aura is so enveloping, soft and pleasant. The silage is soft, which I like and lasts very long,10 hours. I tested YR Voile D'Ambre and on the first sniff I liked it better than Vanille Noir, but it didn't develop well later on my skin,such a pity. I'm very happy with this one, will repurchase again.

WendyMH
WendyMH

You know that smell of a new Barbie, or a vinyl baby doll just out of the packaging? This is the memory this scent takes me to. It's been 3 hours since I first sprayed and the impression has been quite linear, though the vanilla has been sweetened by the mandarin warming up.

aysegulsec
aysegulsec

I bought my first bottle of Vanille Noir 2 days ago and I can say it won't be the last.

At first sniff what I get is citrus, like cumquat or bergamot; then it shades into an amazing warm, gourmand, woody, a different kind of vanilla.Indeed what I expect from vanilla was not something like this, I'm keen on more marsmallow like; icecream like vanilla but after a while it conquered my nose and of course my heart. Despite three different kinds of vanilla, it doesn't have a sweet and sticky note which makes it more lovable for me.

I must also say in my opinion this is a little bit mature fragrance, I mean if I'd sniffed it while I was 20, I'd hate it but now as a 31 year old wife and mother; it suits me and makes me feel cozy in these cold winter days. It lingers on wool and synthetic so beautifully that I think twice to throw my clothes in laundry bag :)

perfumeholic88

I love Voile d´Ambre so I thought Vanille Noire will be also really impressive scent. Maybe, but not for me. Vanilla is littlebit sweet, less sweet than in desserts and it mix in very weird and not so nice way with cedar. I cannot get anything else. I don´t like that cedar-vanilla smell on my skin. It´s not pleasant at all.

5354alice
5354alice

I love this one. The only disappointment, in my opinion, is the name: this is not "noir" at all. It's a beautiful, warm and feminine fragrance, well balanced between vanille and fresh notes, not too sweet and not too strong... a fragrance that is easy wear also during the day, in summer and in winter.

hermyonee

it's a bit watery and soft but yet comforting, sensual, nothing too agressive, nor too sweet, it's a cosy cashmerelike woody scent, with some hints of leather, cedar notes feel quite fresh, bright & clean, nothing dark or dirty, despite the name, mimosa add just that cloudy softness, that enhances the vanilla notes. it's all about softness here, perfect for cold days, cocooning at home, or when you seek comfort. Very light sillage, close to skin, but therefore classy, understated, perfect at work too, just gourmand enought to be cosy but nothing sticky-girly- cheap here! it's a much complex vanilla that it might seem at first;in the drydown it might get a bit smoky notes, but it always remains soft and elegant. and finally, i guess that chemistryu as usual plays a great part in how you might appreciate it, adn the way it might evolve on your skin. i use it mostly at home, now, for quiet afternoons cuddling with my kids, but very nice also at work form october to march, feels always classy but a bit sensual too.

ayarniknit
ayarniknit

Woody caramel and vanilla with a hint of green is what I get from this scent.However, silage and longevity were poor on this. Performs more like a edt, I had to spray my usual spots twice every two hours (instead of once, twice a day, like with most of my other perfumes) After awhile you can really start to appreciate how mature the vanilla smells, more reserved than most out there.
I do think I would recommend since it is a pleasant woody scent that is a little out of the norm and smells more expensive than it actually is.
Update: Wore this for two days and am now bored. The scent is not very complex, a pleasant dark gourmand but nothing worthy of HG status for me.

szo
szo

I wanted so much to love it. I'm a fan of vanilla in almost every form, but... this was disappointing. To me it's quite flat and weak. After half an hour I could hardly smell it. I want to give it another chance though. And I loved the bottle.

cakes181064
cakes181064

I love the smell of this scent but it is so so weak, I can hardly smell it on myself right after I've applied it.

Juliana6

The more often I wear it, the more I think that this black vanilla has something from liquor candies in it. A thick, richly perfumed rum liquor filled in an excellent dark chocolate and vanilla mixture. It which warms, hugs and dazzles you. A gourmand temptation that I can't resist.

sistertricked
sistertricked

I tried this once, was impressed by its quality and then forgot about it. Later that day my son said unasked: "mom, you smell like cake!". He has got a radar for vanillas, as when I was wearing Casmir he asked: "Mom, did you bake a cake?". Yes, he's got foody tastes. Yummy fragrance!

hermyonee

this is a nice classy grown up vanilla; it's soft & clean, with a leathery touch, a skin scent, a svery nice for cocooning at home, better for colder days, nothing dark though, it's quite bright & clean, cedar notes balance very well the vanilla notes. nice for 30+ women :)

hintay
hintay

Dark ,bitter Vanila Chocolate scent,lastlong but no sillage

MsJitka
MsJitka

Very nice composition, especially when you (except for vanilla) like cedar wood as much as I do. I would call it unisex if it was a little bit less sweet. It is long-lasting. Vanille Noire could be one of my favourite fragrances - BUT it stays close to the skin and doesn't radiate! Such a pity...

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I usually don't wear vanilla-dominant perfumes because I find them a bit too cloying and simplistic.However, Vanille Noire is a pleasant change.
It is sweet and somewhat boozy, with a refreshing cedar note. The cedar cuts the sweetness.
The orange blossom drydown oddly smells more like honeysuckle, making the drydown remind me of blush Moscato wine.
The longevity is pretty good, and the sillage is not too weak, although this is more of a "skin scent".
Like Avalon Pacific Juniper, this is an ideal scent for intimate moments!

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

For me this pretty scent is not dark :) soo good vanilla with citrus :)

the_blue_cat
the_blue_cat

Love this! It's a dark, woody, almost minty vanilla - a perfume like no other! I love the cedar mixed in with the vanilla - it makes it very grown-up and seductive. This is definitely a vanilla perfume for the feline prowling the urban jungle: it's not sweet, girly and giggly, but dark, misterious and senzual.

bobo1
bobo1

While testing it when it came out I thought: so much like TROUBLE! Today tested it again and had the same impression. Back home decided to check the notes side by side and learned that both are from the same Nose. It definitely makes sense. To me Vanille&Iris Noire are the best in YR's collection.

cosminadeca
cosminadeca

Though all the perfumes from Yves Rocher are sweet, this one is not. It has something refreshing but not in the classic way. It's a fragrance that will wake your senses and remaines in your soul like a misterious epiphany of a dark sensual fairy!

Gia713
Gia713

I really love this! This scent is soft, not too sweet and a little bit green. It is like vanilla from a bright forest in lovely summer day. It is way much better then Hypnotic Poison - not that plastic-fantastic, and yet still very vanille. It is not violent, bossy vanilla that screams "here I am, smell me!!!!", it is more quiet, sexy in a good style. For this price it is absolutely must-have for all vanilla-fans, because I think it is one of the best non-sweet vanilla interpretation.

kasiarog
kasiarog

This is amazing! Unfortunately, it's not long-lasting, but I wish it was. I love this smell and despite it's poor longevity and sillage I think I will be buying this either way.

I have yet to really discover what a black vanilla should smell like, but this, while in no way dark, is pretty nonetheless. A slightly soapy, clean vanilla with wood and floral notes decorating it so that it's more perfume-y than gourmand. Nice, and another of the style of Bath and Body Works Vanille Noir. They are actually darn similar

Gabrielle OHare
Gabrielle OHare

Absolutely me fav among all Yves Rocher fragrances. I hear warm cozy vanilla and woody cedar notes. It's like a warm cashmere coat over your shoulders. I love wearing Vanilla Noir during winters and falls for it's relaxing and warming effect. Plus for me it is a scent of comfort - thanks to vanilla - a scent of grandma's kitchen always welcoming me with home-made bakery (but this is gentle sweetness, not like Yves Rocher Plesire Nature Burbon Vanille). So i wear this scent during those stressy days and it helps me to stay in my comfort zone. And know what? Today is a stressy day and i'm wearing it. Was worried how this fall-winter fragrance will behave at summer. And it's perfect - maybe less woody and more sweet today, but not heavy at all. I got some compliments already =)

patxaran
patxaran

This seems to be a little different every time I put it on. I can get some of the Kenzo Madagascar but I much prefer the Kenzo over Vanille Noire. There is an stuffy old tobacco vibe about this, like someone who always carries or chews tobacco and never changes their coat. Ever since I detected this strange aspect of Vanille Noir I think I have to get rid of it...
Kiehl's Cedar Vanille for me is more what Vanille Noire should ideally smell like for me...

CaSentBeau
CaSentBeau

My daughter used to wear this with grace already at the age of thirteen. A tall blonde with big blue eyes and to me the most adorable angel who has ever walked the earth, leaving behind her a delicate trail of soft vanilla…

naen
naen

After 5 hours of applying this perfume i still feel it around from time to time, discreet but there. Which is a surprise for me, all my YR perfumes don't have this lasting power. The previous words describe this scent just right: beautiful, cosy, cashmere-like, deep, elegant, without addressing especially to 40+ ladies. 10 years ago i would avoid this kind of scent, today i can welcome it into my life as an 30+ woman who isn't shy anymore, not willing to please anyone but herself.
Ladies, please give it a try, you'll love this perfume. Right now i perceive this like a soft kiss, like a warm hug, like a balming touch.
Beautiful, beautiful bottle as well, the cap felt sort of cheap with the plastic squeezing sound but it's only a small imperfection which doesn't bother at all after dressing myself in this scent.
Overall, my perfect scent for those weary days i'm feeling unsecure, unsure about myself.

sally.boxhall
sally.boxhall

I've had the roll on of this for maybe 2 years now - & while I 'liked' it when I first got it, it has never been top of my rotation of usual perfumes - until now! I thought this should be an autumn/winter kind of fragrance, rich deep, maybe smoky vanilla (because of its name) but I found that it disappeared on my skin within minutes & while I liked the scent was a tad dissappointed. So its now summer & we have had some really decent warm weather for a change (I live in the UK). After sampling The Body Shops Madagascan Vanilla oil recently I realised that it reminded me of this so, I tried it again....... & its sooooo much better in the heat! Lasts longer on me, feels like a clean sugar vanilla with a hint of woodiness (none of the horrid muskiness some vanillas have) - just yummy yummy yummy! I'm a very happy bunny!

daintypink01
daintypink01

for me it's almost the same as kenzo amour

hermyonee

yes this is truly one of my fav vanillas, soft and classy, understated but yet sensual. With a bright start, and a soft woody base in the drydown, it shows all the suptle facets on vanilla. Really a nice skin scent, no big sillage, but longlasting!

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Smells like a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf White Chocolate Dream mocha. Nice, but not quite what I was looking for. I may try it again and see if it behaves differently.

DistantSamantha
DistantSamantha

Thick, creamy vanilla scent, a little like a fine liquor - "less is more". Definitely what some would call "a grown up vanilla". Soft woody base, a hint of mimose... Both luxurious and cozy. Like a lady, a queen, a duchess in a warm cashmere sweater, her perfect curls combed open.

daliflora
daliflora

Gorgeous! The vanilla of subtle, refined cakes, the vanilla of splendid cozyness (like an English palace), the vanilla of deep, and yet understated sensuality, the vanilla of happiness:)

Délicieux

Here I am again the next day with my slightly sheepish and embarrassed update. I felt I needed to write another review. I was reading a thread on the boards about giving fragrances that you don't like initially another try. So I decided, what could it hurt? I'm glad I did because I think I actually might like this now!

I'm not a fan of the first spritz, that is still true. Although it no longer makes me sick (Perhaps I put too much on or maybe lack of sleep.). What I do like very much is the dry down. It really is quite yummy. My husband likes it too, which really surprised me. This is not my favorite vanilla...but mainly because I don't get a true vanilla vibe from this at all. I think it's the orange blossom and mimosa shining subtly through underneath that I really like. I could see myself reaching for this on a summer night or in the Fall. It's strangely compelling. I can't believe I had such a dramatic aversion to it now. I might even order a full bottle. Wow. I apologize Yves Rocher for my snap judgement. I think Vanille Noire had to grow on me!

***Update: I love it now. Got the full bottle!

Délicieux

I got my mini Vanille Noire in the mail today and I was so excited. Boo hiss, this is not good on me at all. As it's drying down I like it a little better...but no, not good. I think I can see how other notes would come forward on others, making a very pleasing, pretty scent.

On me however, the initial blast is a bit like play-doh that was mercilessly mixed with Tropicana orange juice. (My chemistry does terrible things to the best of fragrances, so don't let this stop you from trying it.)

The funny thing is, I can't smell vanilla at all. There is a synthetic baked goods vibe coming through now that I've had it on for a half hour. This doesn't smell particularly noire to me either. Many posters mentioned a watery note. Yes, I'm getting that too. Light, but slightly nauseating on me. Sorry to say!

chimidoro
chimidoro

I don't get anything aquatic from this. Though, if I had to pin-point one note here that I initially found "out of the ordinary" in such a "sophisticated" vanilla scent, it was the mandarin orange. It took me a while to catch on to that slight citrus note, but it works really well, subtly adding the perfect level of spiciness & preventing the fragrance from becoming too dry.

From the onset this is a mainly cedar oriented fragrance for me; and that's what really makes this stand apart from Yves Rocher's cheaper (but equally delectable) vanilla bourbon fragrance. They are both very edible, but this one's got that added touch of class and it makes an impression.
The first impression for me was that this is a "work" scent for an independent woman who's always in control.
I envisaged a woman who reads incessantly and dreams of traveling; probably wants to go to India to stock up on hand-carved elephants. (Haha! Where this idea comes from... who knows...)

I decided to keep this fragrance for special occasions. I can't see myself wearing this very regularly because it feels very indulgent.

After prolonged exposure to this, I finally put my finger on what the dry down reminds me of - I concluded that it is the embodiment of custard cream biscuits.
This elegant fragrance starts out very boozy and sharp as crème caramel, then dries down to buttery custard cream biscuits. Gourmand all the way!

Very sharp, thick and boozy, like an alcohol-fueled-dessert, with striking cedar wood on a soft underbelly of indulgence. I love it!

The only downside is that it lasts for only 2/3 hours on my skin, thus could work out more costly than anticipated, but it's worth it. Yves Rocher have, hands down, created my all time favorite gourmand vanilla scent. I only wish they would release a pure parfum version of this, preferably in an attractive decanter to do the juice inside justice!

Edit: I recently made the discovery that this is, simply, a far cheaper dupe of Kenzo Amour. I must say that while I do admittedly prefer Kenzo Amour, for the added flowers and sweetness, I'll always have a bottle of this at hand.
It's by no means identical to Amour, but it's of the same ilk, in the same league, and is very similar indeed. This is harsher on the wood - has more of an edge - probably due to the lack of the steamed rice note? Because it has orange blossom rather than "cherry blossom"?
Kenzo Amour seems more suitable for daily wear, while Vanille Noir seems, to me, somehow more sophisticated and so better suited to special occasions, rather than being close and intimate. It's just a shame that the prices don't reflect this.
I love them both, but I am more likely to reach for Amour on a daily basis for its smoothness, sweetness and lasting power.

CrazySusy
CrazySusy

I love it! Sweet, warm, long lasting smell for making my happy mood))

daisygirl
daisygirl

A great base - its a sweet creamy vanilla. I use it to layer with other perfumes. Sometimes I want my other perfumes to have a sweeter edge to them and this just warms them up so much. This is a must have for my collection because it goes so well with everything else. I'm not sure that I would wear it on its own because it is just such a straight forward vanilla. Also the lasting power is pretty poor.

Guest_leeleeB
Guest_leeleeB

I bought the shower gel based on smell, and I bought the perfume as well. I love the scent it isn't overly sweet, like someone else said acidic, woody. I could where this to work.

Only thing is I put loads on and I can't smell it on me!! I thought this would be good for our no scent policy at work. I usually apply my perfume one to two hours before I leave.

My family don't comment on my perfume unless the scent is horrible... So no word from them so it must smell good.

The price was reasonable so I love it even though I can't smell it. :(

Sofy888
Sofy888

This rich, multifaceted, woody-spicy, slightly floral, moderately sweet vanilla perfume. Sweet, but at the same time reflects the freshness, sensuality, transparency and depth of vanilla flavor. Perfume is resistant, it can be worn during the day, and as the evening perfume, best revealed in the cold autumn and winter.
Men love it!!:)

Museumgal
Museumgal

This is like baking vanilla -- dry, intense, woody. Very tasty still but not a sweet frosting vanilla but the vanilla before they've added the sugar. There is a hint of brightness with the mimose/citrus, but it's in the background. The cedar adds a lot of depth, and a woody quality. This could be a shock I think if you were expecting Hypnotic Poison -- it's not at all sweet. But it is rich and dark -- it's named very aptly. If you like drier vanillas like the one in Guerlain's Shalimar then this is probably a good choice.

ioana
ioana

when i saw it's description i thougt that perfume can be added to my " love list " ... well i went to a Yves Rocher stand and surprise.. i didn't like it at all (P.S. .. I'm a vanilla lover )

MaddieClfd
MaddieClfd

I bought it without trying, assumed that I would like it, especially that I read here that it remids people of Dior HP (which I love, original HP and Elixir).
No, I can't find any similarities between this and HP. It's not the same league as Dior and it doesn't 'feel' the same. I do like YR perfumes but I' struggling to get to like this one.
I agree that it is a very aquatic vanilla, my partner said 'oh it's very fresh and citrusy'. I think that's my problem with this fragrance - I expected something thick, dark, sweet, not fresh and light.
Don't know what to do with it, it lasts a good few hours but stays close(ish) to skin. I really don't like this aquatic feel, on some days it gives me a headache.
I will try it a few more times before I decide.

robbinthehood
robbinthehood

I expected this perfume to be a bit more smokey. It's a bit of a disappointment. I find it a bit plain (if that's the right word to describe it).

truffles

Hey ann.g - yes I agree, this is a very 'aquatic' vanilla!
I had the special edition black bottle one (really nice bottle, opaque too so could leave it out on display, always love that!) but ended up getting rid of it as the smell totally sickened my family and they kept asking what I was wearing, with wrinkled noses.
Have still got a mini of this edition though and wear it occasionally for a vanilla hit (want the Lutens Bois Vanille really though!).

kelly.locke.79
kelly.locke.79

One of my favorites. A very soft woody, yet a sweet vanilla scent. Maybe a little more grown up compared to other vanilla perfumes I own. Smells strong at first then warms to a soft vanilla and marshmallow smell. I have worn it during the day and night.

TruthserumX
TruthserumX

I like this. Its sweet, warm and sugary. In the winter its perfection. Its something to keep around. It does have a strong marshmallow scent & I agree it can have a burnt vanilla scent at first, but it dies down.

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

I am big vanilla fan but Vanille Noire just doesn't feel right. It's too watery and aquatic for vanilla perfume. It has this creamy rich note which i like but that's it. I sprayed it two times on my wrist and can barely smell anything. Anyway i'm going to give it another try after some time.

edit:
Like i said i gave it another try. I was wearing Vanille Noir two days in a raw and people at work were constantly asking me what kind of candy am i eating :) I guess this is one of my scent which i can't smell myself but beople around me can. So for everybody around me it was bag of freshly opened vanilla sugar, caramel candy or just bourbon vanilla.

trustinme
trustinme

I LIKE this perfume. It is not a consistent smell, well not yet at least. I just got it today. I put it on and I immediately smelled vanilla-sugar. Then marshmallow. The floral scent is hidden and comes out after awhile. But the marshmallow is heavier than the vanilla which gives the finish more of a cream smell. Now, I like that. However, I understand why others may not because its like a powdery candy, which I happen to like and my husband LOVES, might I add. I like this smell it will be added to my collection.

maxthefrog
maxthefrog

I really wanted to love this. It was a blind buy, on the strength of reviews. To me, it smells like tobacco (not like fresh tobacco, rather like the way a car smells when someone has been smoking in it). The vanilla isn't sweet at all, it's very smokey and a little acidic, very masculine. To me, it's NOTHING like Hypnotic Poison.

I have a Tobacco Vanille perfume oil (cheap Tom Ford dupe) and this smells almost exactly like it.
I do like it, especially the dry-down which is a lot softer, but I don't love it. I would have preferred a little less smokeyness and a little bit more sweetness instead.

Gabi310
Gabi310

What an unexpected, pleasant surprise YR Vanilla Noire is! However I wonder why its called Vanilla since It's not heavily featured in it. Not that I mind it. I'm not a fan of edible, sugary sweet, gourmand vanilla fragrances and I don't know why I picked up up the bottle, since I usually try to avoid anything that is dominated by vanilla. But I did and I couldn't be happier! A few seconds after applying, once the sharp alcohol evaporated from the opening, I found myself in heaven, wrapped around by the beautiful, creamy, innocent, slightly aquatic veil of the MIMOSA. The gorgeous Mimosa Pour Moi from L'Artisan made me addicted to the aroma of Mimosa and like a truffle hog I can identify and sniff out Mimosa faster than you can say Bon Apetite :-) I don't think I would recommend it to Vanilla lovers, but again, I'm not an expert on that. But if you like Mimosa, you can't go wrong with this truly lovely fragrance.

loonad

layers very well with other perfumes.just love it.

Avatara
Avatara

This is one of my favourite perfumes of all time. Bourbon vanilla was sweet and fudgey, but this definitely has sexy overtones - a tweedy, leathery scent like new suede. It's quite sophisticated compared with all the flowery stuff, without being overblown and tarty.
I could do with it lasting longer on my skin, though, so I have had to buy a "purse spray" version as well to top up while I'm out. This particular version of Vanilla is quite addictive, and very evocative every time it is used.
As Gypsy Parfumista says above, it has only four notes - they speak for themselves and are not overpowered by side-tracking additives. Pure Vanilla!

Vanilla violin
Vanilla violin

I have finally discovered it, the perfume that captures the scent of a book store. It must be the cedar at the heart of Vanille Noir, as it invokes the memory of a book fresh from the printing press. May the adventure begin. Thank you, Mr Cavallier.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Vanille Noire starts out smelling like cheap baking vanilla—the kind you wonder how much alcohol is in it, or if it’s been adulterated with coumarin, which makes me wonder if this perfume used Tonka bean vs vanilla bean as its source of the vanilla note; or some other chemical in the vanillin family.

It's sweet, powdery, a little cloying— just not a real vanilla to my nose, and just barely "OK". Thankfully, I’m getting no cedar notes as those get dark and nasty on my skin. As I think of it, maybe something dark would help balance out what I’m smelling—a little counterpoint to the fake frosting smell.

It’s starting to actually have that weird plastic toy/doll smell now, too—the first time I’ve actually smelled it in a perfume, although it’s instantly recognizable. This is surprising, as I expected a truly organic and natural vanilla from Yves Rocher.

Yup, that’s it—somebody spread Betty Crocker vanilla frosting on their My Little Pony and called it a perfume.

Juliana6

Probably the best vanilla scent I've smelled ( and I have smelled a lot of them).

I was waiting for my bus, I had nothing to do and it was cold outside, so I entered Yves Rocher's shop. "Just sniff and look" Yeah, right!
I didn't really want to buy a perfume, but the mixture of different vanilla sorts, the cold wind from the street together with some smoke, frosty snow scent and the smell of my scarf took me somewhere over the rainbow. This scent is warm ( gets warmer and sweeter on my skin), sophisticated vanilla which doesn't smell like kitchen.
Delicious and comforting. I like it better than Dior's "Addict".

I took the bus, and every time it stopped to open the door and let people out, I felt that amazing aroma linger. At first I didn't realize where it came from, but then... It came from me!

Eurochic
Eurochic

Just had this delivered, like 15 minutes ago. It was a blind buy and probably the best blind buy so far for me. THIS is what I expected from Havana Vanille. This is real vanilla, from a vanilla pod, not a gourmand vanilla. Mind you, I like my gourmands too, but I've been longing for a "clean" vanilla scent, if that makes sense. I took off the cap, sniffed the nozzle, and fell in love. I think I may have found a big competitor to my other all time favourite vanilla, AA Ylang Vanille (those two are totally different btw). This is a very familiar scent for me, it makes me wonder if I have an other perfume that smells like this, and which one, but I can't put my finger on it. I think it may be have been a body lotion.
I hope this will have good longevity. If it does, I will have to stock up on this because I can foresee me going through it at lightning speed, as it will become my go to scent.
I found myself a little corner of paradise with Vanille Noire.
*edit: I just remembered what this smells like: the vanilla body cream from L'Occitane that I used several years ago. Just delicious.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

I just bought this and was so disappointed!! With all the vanilla fragrances out there I was expecting something a little different...a little better...but no. This is your run of the mill vanilla similar to Warm Vanilla Sugar in that there's really nothing unique or special about them. I liked it but it didn't make me swoon. I sent it back to Yves Rocher. Overall, I am not excited about Yves Rocher's offerings. Just ok in my opinion!!

vhelsing
vhelsing

I bought 5ml of this perfume, because I love vanilla scent, and I'm disappointed. There's no sweetness, which I've been lookinf for ( I hoped this is gonna be sth like vanilla fields) only some kind of cake-baking oil. I sniff myself again and again and I can't find real vanilla. To me it's rather like vanillin. Generally perfumes are good, but I prefer something much more combined, sweet and heavy. So I stay be van.fields untill I find something similar. Maybe someone will help me :-)

blondeambitioned
blondeambitioned

Vanille Noire is a few drops of stale vanilla in a watered-down, slightly burnt cappuccino sitting in front of you of a coffeeshop, that you have forgotten about and that has now gone cold. Vanilla lovers may not like the lack of sweetness of this one - Vanille Noire is more "vanilla extract" than vanilla. I find that Jacques Cavallier's perfumes often seem flat and lifeless and this one is no exception - it is a dry, aquatic vanilla that lacks the depth and richness of most vanilla perfumes. I haven't completely given up on it yet - it might be nice layered with a sweeter, richer vanilla.

hermyonee

finally I'd say that this is more a Cedar - vanilla that the other way around! It's still quit fresh, light, not sticky or cloing at all! But not for those who look for a boozy, dense, eadible vanilla.
It's quite classy, close to skin, more grown up. Lasting power is average, about 4h; sillage close to skin.

global note : 6/10

Minze
Minze

I think it's a scent for those of you who normally don't like typical vanilla flavour. And those of you who are crazy about vanilla might not like it.

I like this scent as I'm fond of gourmand flavours. However, usually more caramel and coffee as vanilla is often too sweet for my taste. But in this case it's absolutely wearably for me as the woody notes tame the sweetness and create an "adult" vanilla scent.

caramelsugar
caramelsugar

My perfect vanilla scent! I really feel sexy in vanilla when I wear this and get lots of compliments too. If you are a vanilla lover, I definitely recommend this perfume plus it's very affordable.

irma303
irma303

I dont really know about the notes, can't tell. I detect only vanilla, that's it. what i like the most from this one is how soft and warm it makes me feel, very woman scent :-) Happy and sexy :-) This is a keeper :-)

oh! I also want to tell that on me it lasts for at least 5 hours :-) I sprayed it at around 5 pm and at around 10 i still can smell it on me :-)

rasia
rasia

Oh no, what on earth has happened to me?! I utterly, totally, extremely HATE the smell of vanilla. And then, along came Vanille Noire. It's so soft, sensitive and dreamy; now I am having an identity crisis without a way out. :D

LoisAyres
LoisAyres

wow..YUM!

stefanie.vieweg
stefanie.vieweg

This, layered with Lush "Lust" solid perfume is simply divine!

I don´t like this scent allone, it has a lack of sweetness to me. It´s not sweet at all! But I like to mix it with other perfumes, especially with florals, to add a bit of vanilla.

perfumeholic88

I got sample and for me it´s smells like vanilla+ alcohol, and it reminds me not pure vanilla but cake oil scent.I´m vanilla fan but I dislike it.

loonad

lovely vanilla-no connection whatsoever with YR's vanille bourbon which is an insult to vanilla.this one is deep and sexy-soft as well as sensual.perfect for winter.this one also smells quite expensive even if the price is very low.the bottle is very sexy and mysterious-it literally wowed me.i get the comparison to hypnotic poison big time!can't wait to have my husband smell this.this one could attract scorpio men like flies!

Jvs3005
Jvs3005

YR Vanille Noir, I have shower gel and perfume. It's just good stuff. To me, it's sweet but not too sweet and woody, but not too woody, very feminin and seductive, sexy, without smelling like fruit and candy all the time. No hint of masculin scents anywhere near. This perfume is excellent to wear at the more intimate encounters (read: love making :)). Other vanilla's can be so sweet, that they make me nausious. Not the case at all with this one. My boyfriend loves this one, he always comes closer to sniff when wearing this one (he tends to do that with al my YR Secret d'essence perfumes). Sillage is huge for me, as I use very little perfume (1-2 sprays a day) and everyone seems to notice the scent. I really love this one for the colder season at day time, or at night at any season. It lasts and lasts, I even smell it the morning after. Only one perfume in my whole collection does better at lasting power and sillage: YR Voile d'Ambre. (very nice one too)

My bf even showers with the shower gel and says afterwards: now you're close te me all day.

Try shower gel and body lotion and you will smell wonderful all day long

EDIT: oh this is vanilla heaven to me :)

phyrexianc
phyrexianc

I´ve never been a vanilla lover but received a small bottle of this frangrance with my YR order and decided to give it a try. I have to say I quite like it and after I´ve read the other reviews here, I can´t wait till fall to see how the scent will affect my mood in darker weather. The vanilla is good and subtle, it´s not too much as I feared it would be.

Guest_lizzie81
Guest_lizzie81

Love this, It is a lot like dior 'hypnotic poison' but for me much more wearable as not so over powering! I actually think it's nicer, only got this yesterday so proper review to follow after more wear.....

KateAnette
KateAnette

This is a grown- up vanilla for sure. Smokey, without any sweetness. I think longevity is good, like in all of the other perfumes in the Secrets d'Essences line. This might be good for layering, haven't tried yet. Quite linear to me, not much development. It's classy and can be worn at any time and season. I do like my vanilla on the sweet side though, so i prefer YR Vanille EdT to this one.

krisa.kola
krisa.kola

It is a nice alternative to the heavyness and richness of Hypnotic Poison, a much more wearable and versatile scent.
Also, it has far more linear structure and most of the time all you get is the yummy vanilla with a warm and woody edge to it.

hermyonee

now that I've been wearing only Spiritueuse Double Vanille for a while, I feel that VN it's much more like a light version of it! Lke a low coast too, but still nice! It's softer, lighter, more cedar that vanilla, but yet a bit sweet, like a cloud, it gives me a kind of " cotton cloud" feeling; the smoky notes appear sometimes, it depends on weather and also clothes fabrics! It might change a lot depending of what you wear; I advise with this one better use natural fabrics like cotton or linen, or whool, not synthetics!! otherwise it gets smoky- odd, unpleasant! all in all, I like it, also in summer, still quite fresh, soft.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Received this in a wonderful swap with mariamaria - thank you!
From the reviews I wasn't expecting a very noir-esque fragrance, just a simple and realistic vanilla.
But this is very dark to me! My first thought upon application was that it smelled just like HP Eau Sensuelle. But then it takes on a spicy character, that smells very much like anise to my nose which makes me think this must indeed smell like HP L'elixir as listed above.
Most prominent on me is the bourbon vanilla: it's so rich and decadent, with a rum like hint. But then the spiciness I guess is attributable to the Ugandan vanilla. I can't say I smell any mandarin orange at all on my skin and mimosa I can only smell when it's in the bottle.
This is definitely not your happy girl-next-door vanilla fragrance. This is a mysterious and deep woody spicy vanilla, with a gothic character. This actually is like a more intensive and less powdery fresh version of Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise, which I love. Good to swap to this in the evenings. This is really a black pearl from an inexpensive house.
EDIT: I've been away from it for a while and in the meantime have been wearing Kenzo Amour and they smell very very similar IMO, only VN never develops any play dough note on my skin..

Rux2589
Rux2589

A friend gave this perfume to me as a gift. Usually, I am not a big vanilla fan but I absolutely love this one! wearing it makes me feel like a cake. :) It smells like rum on my skin when I first spray it.
Staying power: about 6 hours.
Silage: poor.

nooory
nooory

Cake n'Cuddles: no it's not your skin that's eating it up; it's the rollerball juice that has low self-esteem. I'm facing the problem too, i think that the main reason is the ratio of alcohol with the oil/perfume? i'm not exactly sure, but all i know is that it's super alcohol-y.

orchid_84
orchid_84

Taking a whiff from the bottle, I get a slight root beer scent somewhat like Hypnotic Poison. But as soon as it goes on my skin there is no resemblance to HP. Vanille Noir is much less sweet than your typical vanilla fragrance. I think this could easily work as a unisex fragrance, and there is indeed a hint of masculinity in this that I quite like. The vanilla is dry, and set on a backdrop of light cedar. I don’t smell the mandarin orange or mimosa here. Basically, this is a light, woodsy vanilla.

It has some resemblance to Kenzo Amour. However, it is much less thick, creamy and peppery than Amour is. Vanille Noir is much lighter and closer to the skin. It is also quite linear. The way it smells on first spray is pretty much how it stays.

I have a BIG disappointment with this fragrance. I can say without hesitation that I own body mists with much better staying power – and Vanille Noir is supposedly an eau de parfum. Even when I spray myself generously, it seems to evaporate into thin air. I can smell it for a few minutes tops; after that, I have to press my nose up to my skin to get even the faintest whiff. Given how transparent and fleeting it is, I really can't say "Noir" is an appropriate name.

Vanille Noir would be a nice scent, if it stayed on my skin long enough for me to appreciate it.

hermyonee

a great Vanilla, classy, elegant; a more grown-up fragrance, powdery -woody scent, very close on skin; not too strong or sweet, almost fresh with the top notes of mandarine, and then very soft,comfortable and easy to wear; sometimes it gets a bit smoky, but still fine, never too much. Not suprising, it was made by Jacques Cavallier! One of th most elegant and chic vanillas ever!

firsttime
firsttime

Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla! I'm not Vanilla fan but this one is great! received miniature to test and cant stop sniff it! this one not like Body Shop's Vanilla or it brand's Vanilla or any Vanilla's smell.

Longative and great for winter, sadly Thailand has no original size! I want it badly!

scentedrat
scentedrat

it's a nice vanilla scent, but nothing special on me. Smells very similar to BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar, but with a bit more sweet vanilla. I could see the comparison with Kenzo Amour right at the very beginning, but within minutes that was completely gone and it was all-vanilla with just the tiniest bit of spice. I was hoping to get the smokey notes, but that didn't happen. It's okay, but I won't be buying a bottle of it.

astamm62
astamm62

This my favorite in this line..This is a scent I would wear year round,It's not to light or too heavy.I also like to wear it with other vanilla fragrance's like Cherry Vanilla or Ici.Already used a few bottles. I was very happy with this blind buy.

truffles

Mmmm, I love this, it's so easy to wear! Thanks so much to artysmom for generously sending me a lovely little mini and introducing me to this gem!
On me, this is very similar to Boucheron's Trouble [Update: ah, just saw that it's the same 'nose'!]. This is perhaps a little milder than that but the whiff I catch from myself is the same as Trouble. I don't get any orange from it at all and I don't think I get any mimosa, just vanilla and maybe a bit of cedar, which suits me fine.
The price is cheap but the smell is not! Most importantly it doesn't make my airways protest and even more most importantly it is not tested on animals!!
Yves Rocher are doing a half price limited edition VN EDP in a black bottle (although the normal bottle is beautiful too and I may have to get that also!)so I have treated myself to that!
ps. I find this lasts amazingly. Subtle but definitely detectable, and leaving a trail for a long time.

Luewhistelle
Luewhistelle

As I first tried it, this perfume also seemed me to resemble Kenzo Amor. But..
No,no,no.
It definitely has this lovely vanilla smell, it's quite warm. Yet, in my opinion, there's also a kind of aquatic note which doesn't seem to be nice. As for me, it smells a bit cheep because of it... :(

cocobella
cocobella

it's a nice vanilla fragrance. it really reminds me a bit of kenzo amour, but it is not as strong as amour. the lasting power is average, never the less it is a quite pleasant, not overwhelming vanilla scent.

By now I got this as a gift from YR with one of my orders. It's still quite a pleasant and strong vanilla scent. I received compliments for it. It stays on quite well and therefore has got good staying power. On me the powdery and fruity side comes out more in the drydown . Still I'm not in the mood for vanilla scents and so this is not something I would buy. I also got a major migraine after testing it and somehow I think this might come from vanilla scents or YR scents. I'm not sure. Nice scent but not for me.

artsymom
artsymom

Blast of alcohol in the opening and then the smell of soggy cigarette butts and burnt rubber, as in tires. Really horrid on me. Maybe I got a bad sample? Smells like the inside of the Jiffy Lube down the street!

Edit- The dry down got quite a bit nicer but not nice enough to suffer through the Jiffy Lube opening.

i love this vanilla scent and i love the longevity of it. it lasted all night on me until i showered. its a nice sweet vanilla with a little kick from the cedar and the mimosa adds a tiny twist of citrus. 8 out of 10.

moonwalker
moonwalker

When I first tried Vanille Noire, it reminded me of Hypnotic Poison (before reformulation) so I was all determined to try it again and eventually buy it. When I tried for the second time, funny enough, it reminded me of Kenzo Amour, I was like "Ok, still good, I am gonna buy it". Now, I have worn it several times and while it does remind a little bit both previously mentioned fumes (well, I guess vanilla does the trick - who knew:))I wouldn’t buy it as a substitute for neither of them.

This is not sweet, gourmand vanilla. It is little bit on a darker, spicy side. For me, there are two lines in this fume... one is vanilla, and the second is a smokey earthy and a little but damp - like if you are in forest after the storm and a smell of smokey vanilla strangely finds its way into the composition as well. In my humble, not professional view, these two lines are not mixed together very well - I guess the spices are the glue which keeps them so so together. And there is also this strange note that at least for me makes this fume smell/feel a little bit cheap.

However, even though my review does not seem like that I would say it is quite enjoyable fume. It is pleasant woody earthy non-gourmand smokey vanilla with a little bit spices thrown in.

kalios55
kalios55

Ah .. Vanille Noire

Opens with strong alcohol fume..sharp but lasts for only a few seconds. Then raw & spicy vanilla kicks in. Mimose and woodsiness follow closely. Mimose softens and powderizes the vanilla while the wood lingers in the background . Mimose becomes stronger with time and is almost as dominant as the vanilla--making this scent very feminine and creamy.

Vanille Noire ... is neither a heavy or smokey. It's a true yet transparent type of vanilla. It does not hover but wrap around you gently like a fluffy white cloud. A Non-gourmand woodsy powdery florally vanilla scent .. likable but not remarkable.

PlunketNurse
PlunketNurse

i got this online ebay for $24, a great price in my opinion.
To start of with, this started off quickly with a veryy dark boozy vanilla, reminding me immediately of dior addict's vanilla. The vanilla transcends to a more nutty and creamy vanilla and finally a minimally sweet delicate drydown is ensued. It is not a 'cupcake' nor sugar sweet vanilla, true to it s name "vanille noire" it is a very dark sensual one note fragrance.
Though distinct in its vanilla phases, it is a simple fragrance. Since it s vanilla it is definitely more of a skin scent, with low sillage, perfect for the cozy or sensual moods. Average longevity.
My bottle's brown bottle coating started flaking where the caps rub against it, so im not very pleased with that. The bottle and packaging is really nice though.

SheShe
SheShe

I think it's a very well done fragrance. Thumbs up for Yves Rocher!

It wears the best in winter. It's kind of addictive. This vanilla has many layers, it's not a boring smell that doesn't change. It's very sweet, thick and long lasting.

I didn't like wearing it during summer, though. It became smokey, somehow dirty on me, it seemed it contained benzoin. But winter and cold days- the scent can warm you up and cause you use it often.

The vanilla isn't as noire as the name says, but it's darker indeed.

Pretty, pretty, give it a chance (I didn't admire it at first).

Unikko
Unikko

Mild, not too sweet or heavy vanilla that doesn't smell like dessert. Easy to wear and warms up nicely on my skin. Not the best in this Yves Rocher luxury collection, but still very nice and well worth of the price. Reminds me a lot of Dior Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle. The bottle is very simplistic and lovely.

authentica
authentica

I received Vanille Noire 5ml bottle as a gift with my YR order: the moment i smelled it i knew it had to go. So I gave it away. I can't understand why would someone want to smell like something as boring as vanilla?

TankGirl
TankGirl

The first 10 seconds remind me of Oriflame Aromadisiac, but after a while this perfume transforms itself to a burned vanilla.
Unfortunatly I cant smell mutch of the fragrance because my skin drinks it. To be honest, this perfume dont live 5 minutes on me, I dont know why.
Maybe its my nose, maybe the perfume was watered, I dont know. What I can smell its a super faint smell of vanilla and woods, nothing else. A pity :(

adesoprano
adesoprano

On me, it smells realy good. The vanilla is verry intensive, and i have a feeling of warmth. It reminds me of Hypnotic Poison.

susiemusic
susiemusic

On me, the floral notes dominate for the first half hour, then it mellows and the soft wood notes appear, followed by a subtle dark vanilla. It reminds me of a lighter, less vibrant version of Alien, and a distant cousin to Hypnotic Poison. I think it might be enjoyed by those who find those two fragrances too loud - I think this has many similar notes but at a lower volume, and unlikely to startle anyone unduly. My search for the perfect dark vanilla continues - for me, sadly this is not it.

zabica
zabica

I agree - smells similar to Kenzo Amour, but darker.
I like anything noir, and I'm pretty much sold on just "noir" line, but this - I don't like .. too heavy, not very sweet, I hardly smell anything sweet at all! It's just this tobacco-y, suffocating, harsh note .. maybe coming from cedar in combination with mimose? Don't like it .. would't recommend it. And above all, pretty weak as the time goes by ..

LaPetite
LaPetite

This is a classical vision of the dark side of vanilla . Not gourmand like the so famous " Vanille Bourbon " , not sparkling like the " Vanille Cap Nature " , just a more adult , more sultry vanilla . I don't like this one as much as the 2 other ones i've just quoted . Nice still.

Beeb26
Beeb26

This is so nice. Smokey vanilla, but not heavy or overwhelming. Creme brulee but better. I think it doesn't smell like other vanilla-scents, at least not on my skin. It's the smokey vanilla I was looking for! Lasting power isn't all that great, but it's not expensive, so I can spray on and on and on! Have to buy a full bottle first though....

sweefa
sweefa

If we are talking about dupes: I agree that Voile d'Ambre gives you a bit of the "Samsara feeling", but I can tell you that a while ago I had Vanille Noire on one arm and Shalimar ode la Vanille on the other - the lack of differences made me laugh.
I don't care much for Vanille Noire as do not care for Shalimar, because I feel the "melody" of both is rather a Polka than a smooth and complex song with all the wood rumbling around in the vanilla ;)
But still this a pleasant fragrance if you are really into vanilla and don't want much more of a scent. I think the perfect situation to wear this is while enjoying a big cappuccino and fruitcake in a cosy cafè on a rainy autumn day.

ChickyC
ChickyC

I managed to get a mini of this on Ebay. I put a little dab on my wrist (in case I hated it) but I didn't hate it so applied more dropping the bottle in the process. Dowsed in it I can say I like it...very much.

Made of 3 different vanillas I can really detect the transition between the 3. The first is quite a pure vanilla which after about 30mins turns sweeter perhaps where the orange/mimosa come into play but not individually detectable, but the third is my favourite..a dusty dark vanilla. Just lovely.

I may HAVE to get a FB. I can imagine this in winter...curled up in front of a roaring fire, Christmas tree twinkling in the background...romantic bliss.

EDIT Day 2 Still loving it. It doesn't have the quality or elegance of Chanel/Dior...but that makes me even more in love with it. The words which come to mind are innocent and adorable. With a very affordable price tag!

domenicamartinello
domenicamartinello

I tested it today... the scent disappeared quite quickly, but initially it reminded me a little of Alien. Nice scent, no longevity.

Irisversicolore
Irisversicolore

I must say thanks to you all. You make me grow up quickly with knowledge and curiosity. Who would have thought a uniscent like Vanille noire wasn't linear? To some it is, but interestingly, to other reviewers it evocates lots of different things...

Thanks for the tip: I got a 5$ small EDP at Yves Rocher and could smell this Cavallier creation in no time. I think VN is a great treat for oblivious vanilla lovers who kind of don't assume themselves, like me!

Vive la diversité des goûts! (Cheers to the diversity of tastes)

omixochitl
omixochitl

I really like it, I think this is very different from Hypnotic Poison (which I love). If anything, it reminds me more of Kenzo Amour. I still think that Vanille Noire is a different fragrance and not a dupe for anything. On my skin, this is a very natural vanilla, very oriental and nothing gourmand or cupcake like. I find it very smokey and earthy. Besides the vanilla, I can't really point out the other notes. It's not overpowering at all, very pleasant and affordable.

Really poor sillage and longevity though.

tsa22
tsa22

I really love this perfume. This smells very luxary and nog overwelming. I think it's not really that Vanilla like. Very chique perfume!

Ouch!
Ouch!

Hmmm..I loves me some vanilla so I had high hopes for this one.

Let me just firstly say that there's a whole lot of vanille going on in this scent and not alot of noir!

I put this on at 8.30 this morning, it's now 10.22am and I can barely smell it. It's a close to the skin scent. It wafts gently around you gently. The name and bottle suggests something else than what's inside.

I think putting this in the same league as Hypnotic Poison is...well...not right. They re quite different in my opion.

This is a playful vanilla, ice creamy, light. I wanted HEAVY...thick, gloopy with dark undertones. *pouts* not here I'm afraid.

It's quite simple and pleasant on my chemistry, and vanilla is something I amp like crazy normally.

This oneis a bit of a fail on me!

TiaTia
TiaTia

like maru8862 i also get that beautiful chocolate note on my skin and like some other mentioned, there is also this cappuccino smell!! Lovely!!

this scent makes me dream!
this is like eating a fresh (dark-)chocolate cake while drinking cappuccino sitting in a bakery where the air is filled with the scent of vanilla cookies. before leaving i buy some of those cookies and leave for a little walk into the forest where i sit down on a bench enjoying the scent of the woods while the vanilla cookies smell so delicious and tempting...
and when i open my eyes i find myself again at work and my co-worker asking me, what perfume i'm wearing, i smelled delicious...

melbritt24
melbritt24

This is far from a cheap vanilla frag...it's fresh, earthy, and organic! Nothing cloying or artificial about this vanilla...just pure and sexy.

YR Vanille Noire is very sensual, elegant, woody, soft, and feminine. The vanilla bourbon note is the most prominent IMO and I don't smell any of the claimed citrus or mimosa in the opening and only little of the cedar in the dry down. Has a bit of licorice in the dry down (which I love) and has decent longevity.

4 STARS

This is a strong and good vanilla scent. If I hadn't just finished some La Maison de la Vanilla scents, I would buy this Yves Rocher one. It comes close to their quality. But currently I'm a bit fed up with vanilla :)

fanny
fanny

Vanilla Noir is very special and surprisingly lovely indeed!
Not just a vanilla scent. Dark, mysterious and fresh at the same time, with a touch of wood and leather: very, very sympathetic.
I have found a new friend!

Edit 12/05/11
Unfortunately Vanilla Noir has a synthetic drydown, makes me cough and gives me a headache...

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Dark, clean, and slightly boozy; complex and rich but not syrupy like some fragrances that feature vanilla. Bewitching and hypnotic--I think of deep, dark forests from older Walt Disney movies like Snow White, or old classics stories like Hansel and Gretel.

darkbeauty's review is absolutely poetic and spot on. Reading it while wearing this fragrance is likely to transport you into a gothic Bavarian Forest fairytale.

Malene
Malene

This is a very different kind of fragrance. The opening is the warm comforting scent of vanilla straight from the seed pod. And then, to my surprise, I sense a background of sparkling martini which adds a refreshing twist to the leathery vanilla notes. I love the fact that this vanilla based fragrance (for once) is untouched by the sweet pastry kitchen. It has an impressive staying power and develops to a charming subtle vanilla/citrus veil. I think it is an uplifting alternative in my perfume wardrobe.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Love love love this. I got a 5ml sample and couldn't stop smelling it. Now I bought the 30ml + soap. It's sexy and my boyfriend loves scents with vanilla.

Liina
Liina

I couldn't wear Vanille Noire amongst people because they would think that a cat has peed on me or on my clothes. On my skin it literally smells like cat pee. And I'm not saying this as though I'd think that Yves Rocher is bad. Not at all. I find that it has some really good creations. But this one is not working with my body chemistry at all.

Aduial
Aduial

Vanille Noire is a nice Vanilla scent with woody notes. Soft, warm and pleasant, nonetheless sexy, dark and smoky. I can't smell specific similarities to Hypnotic Poison as well.

At first impression I can smell Cedar, light but smoky Vanilla and something sweet, may be Coconut or Ice Cream. Opening is a bit sharp and artifical, but it's getting softer with time quickly.

After about four hours the woody notes are much weaker and the smoky Vanilla turned more into a silky and warm Bourbon Vanilla. Now Vanilla Noire reminds me of vanilla crescents, sweet however not overpowering.

On my skin it lasts about eight to ten hours.

All in all very different to ordinary Vanilla scents, a welcome change. I'd highly recommend it to Vanilla lovers. For me fine to wear at warm fall days.

katyas
katyas

The scent opens with extremely strong vanilla - I felt like I was wearing a vanilla cappuccino. After about 1/2 hour it changes, becomes more amber-ish and darker. I like this mid-note. However, the base note opens after about an hour and, again, I'm left with nothing but vanilla. Now, I rather like vanilla, but my husband absolutely hates it, so I guess I won't be adding this one to my collection - I'll stick with my Iris Noir and Rose Absolute.

SarahNichole
SarahNichole

I sampled this one yesterday, and I'm pretty disappointed. I really liked the smell in the vial, it was beautiful. But on me, it smells like a campfire. There's no vanilla scent at all, it's all just smoke and woods. Definitely NOT what I was going for. I was really looking forward to testing this one out, and I'm sorry it doesn't work with my chemistry. I love vanilla scents, but I don't like smelling like dessert, so dark vanillas are usually my preference. Too bad, it smells lovely on others.

Mad-Lainey

Do you know, Action, I have just the same feeling???? I am not sure where my coffee association comes from (Freud would have said I was sleepy while typing my comment below :-) but I truly have that creamy cappuccino feel :-)
I love Vanille Noire!!! It was more leathery to me today, though. It is funny as I feel that fragrance differently every time I wear it!!!
And just like you - no matter how hard I try, Sister - I cannot feel a slightest resemblance to Hypnotic Poison....
Or is it just us, Sister????
xxxx

Mad-Lainey, you actually smelled this perfume quite the same as I do!! I always found it to be more like Kenzo Amour than HP. And even then it's not really the same. I DO see myself sitting in the Coffee Company wearing this one!
Maybe there is coffee in this perfume as well, who knows??

Mad-Lainey

What I am going to say will to be in complete opposition to the board of critics here, so hear me.
Vanille Noire is a cup of Capuccino in the room full of people sipping Espresso. It is a tiny wild daisy growing between majestic peonies and roses. What I am trying to say is that this fragrance does not necesserely need to smack people around you right in their faces; Vanille Noire is a great fragrance for a change, if you feel temporarily tired of wearing killers, it is delicate but noticeable enough to wrap you in a creamy blanket.
Vanille Noire reminds me Fleur De Noel, I cannot, however, feel any resemblance to Hypnotic Posion.
Vanille Noire is my ''I just want a change'' fragrance if I am too tired of rich florals or oversweetened fruities.
In my opinion, Vanille Noire is a brilliant fragrance - vanilla is presented in a way that does not feel like queueing to get a truckfull of doughnuts at a local bakery, yet it makes me feel I want to get a sip straight from the bottle :-)
It changes on my skin every now and then...one minute bitter, dry and leathery to suddenly turn into warm, sweet and cuddly the next minute...and that symphony lasts for about 6 hours on my skin. Not bad.
Mr Cavallier, unlike the whole crowd below my comment - I take my hat off for you :-)

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

Vanille Noire is very disappointing. The scent is neither dark and the vanilla is very weak.

Bath and Body Works' Vanilla Noir lives up to it's name more than Yves Rocher's.

I'd give it a 2/10.

Arrogant_Cat
Arrogant_Cat

Vanille Noire was such a huge disappointment to me. I ordered it unsniffed and it is really not what I have expected, it is light indeed, like a watered down version of some vanilla essence. I like the idea behind the scent but sadly I think it is a wasted chance from YR.
Sillage and longevity are way below average on my skin.
Definitely wouldnt buy it again. :(

floof
floof

With a name like Vanille Noire I, like many reviewers, expected a deep, dark, sultry vanilla. What I got was a light fresh floral one that is just okay. I am not impressed or depressed by the fragrance, it was very inexpensive on ebay, and its a very light vanilla. A vanilla for people who are looking for something light and sweet, a tad predictable and boring, not much lasting power. Not offensive by any means, but I have many better vanillas (jalaine vanilla, tihota, csp vanille extreme ect.) This is an average fragrance that stays very close to the skin, perfect for someone who doesn't want something loud or expensive, maybe a teenager or someone in the healthcare field or any situation that requires you to wear little perfume, but not for me. I like my vanillas loud, sweet, sultry and dark or just downright delicious, not this watered down warm vanilla sugar (my noses first reaction was that exact statement about bath and body works horror of a body spray). I like it better than WVS and they are around the same price, this is def more sophisticated and much less synthetic smelling. If anyone wants to swap for this one send me a msg. I also see the Kenzo comparison but I prefer Kenzo's vanilla based scents to this.

lilou
lilou

I like Yves Rocher fragrances : always nice to wear and feminine, and sometimes among these "nice pearls" you can find "diamonds".
When Vanille Noire was launched I was excited and I purchased it without test because I was sure it was a "diamond"...But...This perfume is lasting 5 minutes, more or less. And it's such a pity when you know Yves Rocher can do better than this. It smells vanilla but it's impossible to learn more about this perfume : it doesn't last enough.
It's too bad but I'll keep it in my collection.

rainbow.owl
rainbow.owl

I have the edp roll-on bottle of this perfume. It's a nice light vanilla, quite pretty and not too sweet. it reminds me of the now discontinued l'occitane vanilla, which is exactly what I was hoping. I agree with the other reviewers that it is not at all 'noir'.

I don't think I will use it a lot by itself, but I do find vanilla (and amber) useful for layering with other scents, so I'll be hanging in to this.

Carnelian
Carnelian

Pretty vanilla for those who don't like theirs too sweet. It's not a "dark" vanilla as the name suggests; at least it's not a candy vanilla, but very powdery - and more sophisticated. There are definitely similarities to Kenzo Amour in the drydown, not at the start. This has a strong paper note to my nose - I got Smell Bents's Anniversary perfume ONE which is supposed to be the scent of "vanilla" and "aging paperbacks" and this has the exact same crumbling paper smell, though this is more delicate. Nice frag, although I'm more a fan of B&BW's now discontinued Vanilla Noir, which is far more interesting (bummer.)

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

A forest beckons me to enter under its canopy. The dense floor is a cushion beneath my feet, and the smell of earth, rich wood, and truffles wafts up from under me. I close my eyes, overwhelmed by the forest's hauntingly beautiful charm, and inhale the combination of scents surrounding me in mystery. I continue on, lost and beguiled by the forest's trickery. I pause and reach for a tree, its bark rough and warm beneath my touch. My knees give way and I sink down to a lush carpet of moss, completely enchanted.

Dark, deep black earth, truffles, vanilla bean, woods and.... coconut???

Yep, I even get some coconut. But it's a good thing. More like coconut husks.

This is a true vanilla. Not a sweet, gourmand vanilla. The silage is good and it blends into your skin nicely.

I like it a lot, but personally I feel it needs to be layered several times to get more intensity. It's yummy, richer and earthier than a lot of vanillas out there, yet always remains fresh and crisp.

A must have for vanilla lovers!

blueberry
blueberry

Unfortunately I do not detect it. The fragrance actually vanishes into thin air once sprayed. What a pity. I envy those for whom the scent lasts and lasts, because the fume is really nice with the soft and warm vanillic accord, although not that "noir" as the name suggests. This is not very expensive, though for a comparable price you can get a definitely stronger perfume, so I will not buy it. Neither do I find any similarities to HP as some of fragraticians pinpointed. Je suis desolee...

lafefe
lafefe

Of this perfum I only like the drydown, a very nice vanilla to me. The opening, with that strong citrus/wood composition, is definitely too much for me, it's not sweet, not even pleasant. It becomes better after a while, I enjoy myself sniffing it from the bottle but I'm not tempted to spray it on my skin and that's not what a perfum should inspire to a woman.
The idea is good, three different pods of vanilla, citruses and mimosa, but the result is too sharp and unpleasant for me.

katarina82
katarina82

This was a blind buy. After first spray, I definitely smell some weak form of Hypnotic Poison, but where HP is bold and rich, this is very light and something is missing. It's like vanilla in the wind, airy vanilla? Well..can't even explain it, just don't like it.
Too bad for me as I got 50ml bottle. I’ve been wearing it past couple of days and without any success, it just doesn’t feel right.
I'll give it another try, but it might end up being exchanged or given to someone else.

Eleiria
Eleiria

I love anyting with vanilla in it, I always did. Maybe my father got me used to it since he used to put vanilla powder anywhere, even in his car when I was a kid :) Therefore this beautiul scent is like heaven for me. It's pure vanilla but contrary to usual, it's not suffocating nor heavy. It is a bit overpowering, it drowned my own perfume but didn't make me feel like I cannot breath. There's a nice fresh tingle to it, which never really fades, and the fruity sweetness makes the fragrance a graceful and sensual one. Doesn't shout out "I'm sexy!!" but it wraps around you. There is also a rich dark feeling and I liked it a lot. It lives up to its name Noire. The drydown is cedar and sweet vanilla and very lovely, though not strong. Another great fragrance of Secrets d'Essences.

t_russell335
t_russell335

it smells very natural and sweet.. it almost smells like vanilla extract you use for baking with a fresh woody scent lurking in the background when you sniff if from the bottle. unfortunately, the woody, sweet warmth doesn't really work for me. Nice scent, just not for me

I cannot be the only inquiring perfumista mind around town to have noticed the simultaneous discontinuation of BBW VANILLA NOIR and appearance of Yves Rocher VANILLE NOIRE. Coincidence or connected? every worthy conspiracy theorist will spontaneously inquire.

Does Jacques Cavallier work under an assumed name for BBW, and did he sell his formula to the highest bidder? Is there any difference between these two perfumes, beyond the translation of the English name into hoity-toity French?

Even more suspiciously, both BBW and YR market to more or less the same sector: people who like to "smell good" and are either unable or unwilling to pay very much to do so. This fact alone, that the two companies cover the same market niche makes it seem very suspicious indeed, to this inquiring mind, for the results of the surveys of one company would have been similar if not identical (assuming they access the same data sets) to those of the other! If BBW therefore had decided that VANILLA NOIR was not in demand, how and why would YR not have learned from their mistake, and scrapped their VANILLE NOIRE project before it got out of the lab?

Tonight I set out to put these hypotheses to the test, and I'm afraid that, once again, coincidence has won out, proving the would-have-been triumphant conspiracy theorist to be no more than paranoid, once again. VANILLE NOIRE is not VANILLA NOIR, despite the overwhelming evidence pointing in the conspiracy theorist's favor. VANILLE NOIRE really smells like Jacques Cavallier--it contains that je ne sais quoi component that he includes in so many of his compositions as a sort of fingerprint. And BBW VANILLA NOIR, sad to say, smells richer, darker, and more complex. Désolée.

oceanbreeze
oceanbreeze

I agree with Jillzilla. To me it's just too weak, like a black vanilla body oil would smell. Soft and comfortable vanilla scent, very good for a cold weather.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

A soft "fuzzy" sort of vanilla. Good for those who don't like sticky-sweet or heavy scents. I wanted to feel something darker in the notes although it just wasn't there.

I can't get enough of it! It is warm, enveloping, welcoming, discrete, sweet yet not cloying. I want to bathe in it; drink it; eat it; breathe it... and want to have countless back-up bottles. Love so much! This is it! A perfume that I shall always have in my collection and go back to. It's just me!

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

Imitation of Hypnotic Poison, but with less staying power. Not bad at all. The new Hypnotic Poison "Legere" version is quite similar and much more expensive.
Nevertheless, I had hoped for something more original, since the other Secrets D'Essence Scents are independent creations which stand on their own.

brunja
brunja

I got it two days ago. Nice, vanilla, soft and warm. It works long.

Malegria
Malegria

Very much alike with HP, but more transparent and does not overwhelm. I don`t feel that it is a gourmand type of scent...oriental is good enough, and even if you want to automatically add "vanilla" just because of the insane amount of different vanilla types in it, don`t do it just yet.It DOES smell vanilli-ish, but more like a dried beans than an essence - a little bitter and peppery...
The staying power is good, and the drydown is similar to YR`s Voile d`Ambre.

icekat
icekat

Vanille Noir definitely has a dark side. When I spray it in the air, it seems to have this deep rich vanilla scent with woodsy accent. When it goes on my skin, I get very strong leather accent. It almost feels like I am wearing a new leather jacket. I see that other reviewers did not detect any leather so it must be my skin chemistry with the scent. The scent stays leathery with a hint of vanilla for about 2 hours, then the leather accent softens and this deep woodsy scent of vanilla comes through. The staying power is great. It lasted on me pretty much all day without re-applying.

When I think about this scent, I picture myself sitting in a stylish cabinet with leather chairs and expensive wood furniture. I am alone with a handsome politician or perhaps a famous writer. We are drinking an expensive French cognac and having an intense conversation. Perhaps I am a journalist doing an interview. The conversation is provocative, witty, sharp and with a sexual tension. I feel bold, smart and sophisticated.

This perfume is not for young and sweet. It has this twisted site that is quite strong and daring. Again, it could be my skin chemistry but I detect a lot of darkness in this scent.

guest_moi
guest_moi

Soft floral vanilla. Pretty and pleasant, but no leather and no "noire" anything. I think it is a nice alternative to gourmand, sticky, overly sweet vanilla fragrances that are coming out like every week. But it doesn't move me personally. It's pretty, I don't love it, that's all.

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

I got my bottle and roll-on today. It is kinda like hypnotic poison but it isn't as loud. It's a lot more subdued and I was looking for a less intense version on H.P to wear in the summer months. H.P worn in the summer would off the world!

If you liked Hypnotic Poison but you didn't like how heavy it was or the Rootbeer/Playdough smell, both of which I love, get Vanille Noire

It starts off smelling like a nice vanillish smell and about 10 minutes later I can sense the Mandarin Oranges. It plays Peek-A-Boo every now and then but it's definitely there. This smells wonderful. My first Un-sniffed purchase was a success (Thank Goodness!). I had to get it since it was on sale and the sale price kinda scared me. I thought it would be like an Avon body spray but the lasting power is incredible! I honestly couldn't believe I got the 1.7 and the 10 ml roll-on for 42 bucks FREE SHIPPING! Get this now from Yves Rocher! I hope you all love it like I love it

jeca
jeca

Wonderful vanilla fragrance! Vanilla is unusually fresh, floral and woody, fluffy and so easy. Very different from what I know, and I love the subtle combination of woody and spicy notes in this delicious fragrance. I prefer it in roll-on ;o)

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

I got this home today and it really smells like good vanilla icecream:) A little bit to overpowering though.But i like it. I dont think that it smells lika Hypnotic Poison at all or like Lolita lempicka,this is a uniq perfume with its own smell.

delphine67
delphine67

I got a sample of it today. And after aplying it really reminds me of Diors HP.
That same powdery vanilla.But the opening is more fruity coz of the mandarin. I can smell that really good for a while and then it settels in that warm vanilla scent that I like. Great perfume to buy

I bought it and also the bodyproducts.......lovely

mseidoom
mseidoom

After the alcohol blast, it's settles to a nice vanilla scent. It's not that sweet and it's not smoky. Yves Rocher's Organic Vanilla had a smoky aura, which I didn't like in that particular perfume. After smelling Van Cleef & Arpels Orchidee Vanille first, I prefer that vanilla fragrance. This would be my second option. Vanille Noire and Rose Absolue are the only two from the Secrets d'Essences line that I like.

Allinug
Allinug

I got a 5ml bottle today and I don´t like it at all. It smells like Oriflames Amber Elixir on me. It is to strong and sweet, I get headache from it.I am a little disapointed because I thought that I would like this perfume but I collect mini bottles so the little bottle goes to my collection.

Annica
Annica

To my delight a got a little sample from YR with the post today! This is a lovely vanilla fragrance. I wouldn´t say that it´s similiar to Lolita L, no, it´s not a foody vanilla like L, more like a combo of Hannae Mori, Hugo Boss Deep Red and Kenzo Amour. I know that sounds crazy. Wonderful fragrance! I simply must have a bottle.
Imo Yves Rocher have a very humble attitude towards the outside world. No overwhelming advertising for their scents although they have famous noses like Jaques Cavallier and Christine Nagel behind some of their fragrances.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

Good job by YR,got a mini bottle of it with a purchase.Yes it smells a bit like hypnotic poison and kenzo amour.Soft and comfortable vanilla scent,i think it will be very good for the winter.

hantafromsanta
hantafromsanta

Yesterday I got my minis and have tested this on paper so far, not my wrist as it's currently too hot to bear such a heavy scent, at least for my liking.

What my beginner's nose can say is that I find the comparison to Amour and Hypnotic Poison to totally hit the nail on the head.

In the opening it particularly reminds me of HP and I sense licorice, but not as strong as in HP and it's a good bit lighter in general, especially when it dries down after a little while.
That is where I totally see the similarities to Kenzo Amour, but I even get some totally unexpected ozone-like freshness in there. Huh?! Interesting.
That still doesn't make the fragrance any less heavy or rich I find.

The vanilla in here is unsynthetic, natural, woody and dry but soft overall. Non-edible and non-sweet.
No olfactory climaxes here so far, but I'm very curious how this scent behaves when I wear it on my skin for a longer while in the winter.

Edit: I've had it for a few months now and it's the middle of winter, so do I like it?
No. The overall dry composition happens to make me nautious. HP and Amour individually are fine with me, but mixed with this dash of aquatic ozone something.. it makes my stomach turn, what a pity.

Allegra
Allegra

I recently got a tiny sample bottle of Vanille Noire and, based on trying and testing it, the fragrance is clearly aimed at mature, self-confident women with sophisticated taste for rich, sensual and elegant vanilla-based perfumes. Mimose and mandarin orange blend nicely together with black vanilla while cedar adds some deep spicyish undertones in order to give this fragrance multi-layer feelings.

TanjaS
TanjaS

I'm not that fond of strong vanilla fragrances, but this one is great. Calm and sensual, not overly sweet as most vanilla fragrances tend to be. Woody and a bit dry. Very natural vanilla scent, not at all chemical. Great staying power. This is so far my favorite from the Secret D'essenses collection. Sophisticated is the right word to describe Vanille Noire.

CountAnubis
CountAnubis

I have tested it yesterday. And basically its a well made mix-up of two of the most known Vanilla fragrances out there. On the one side its like Hypnotic Poision but not as strong and offensiv and on the other side its like Kenzo Amour but more spicy. But it still has somthing own, because the base is unique and reminds me of natural dark vanillabean but not as spicy rather soft, sensual and woody.

I just had it on a teststrip, but im very curious how it develops on the skin. In the next weeks it should be available in the YR-stores.

YR Secrets d'Esences are phenomononal! I have the other four and they are rich, long-lasting and superb without being overpowering. Even though this one has only four "notes" I am sure the richness of the ingredients, including the black vanilla, will more than make up for it...

Please read the Fragrantica article for more info on this lovely luxe scent!!