Designers » T-Z » Oriental Woody « Groups

This is Him Zadig & Voltaire for men
dislike

smoky
This is Him Zadig & Voltaire for men Videos
This is Him Zadig & Voltaire for men Pictures This is Him Zadig & Voltaire for men Pictures This is Him Zadig & Voltaire for men Pictures

The French fashion house Zadig & Voltaire, which fosters casual, boho and rock styles with a significant dash of cool elegance, presents its new fragrant pair in September 2016 announced with the slogan "This is Zadig!". The perfume pair consists of a feminine and a masculine edition: This is Her! and This is Him!. The perfumes are created in cooperation with the company Beaute Prestige International (BPI).

Cecilia Bönström, artistic director of Zadig & Voltaire, said to wwd that the idea was to break from what already existed on the market and “to find a balance of something really clean and something darker, more mysterious.”

The dark, oriental - woody This is Him is made of grapefruit aroma, black pepper, incense, milky sandalwood and vanilla. Behind this creation we find the famous perfumers Nathalie Lorson and Aurelien Guichard. It is available as a 50 ml Eau de Toilette.

The bottles have a simple design with cracked edges, white for her for and black for him. The precious materials, with sandalwood as a signature, and the cool design try to offer something new in accordance with the edgy image of the brand.

Grapefruit Black Pepper

Incense Vanilla

Sandalwood

Myrrh & Tonka
Allure Homme Edition Blanche

This is Him Fragrance Reviews

zenais86
zenais86

I tried this perfume... TERRIBLE! My friends get disgusted by it when i sprayed! How can people like it? Now i know that i can't trust fragrantica people review. Luckly i try a perfume before buy.

iamoir
iamoir

This time I tested This is him! Are you kidding me? Where has this been? Why would I mess with the female version only? Well Thank God I tried the male as well. What a amazing surprise.

For me it is perfect. I kept sniffing it around in the air, it smells exactly like the incense in an Orthodox Church, exactly when the priest comes out with the incense burning from the censer, in order to spread it everywhere. It is THAT realistic and heady. And sweetish exactly as the fumes that I grew to love in the Cathedral.

Heavy, heady, sometimes headache inducing, this is serious stuff, wearable but damn! I did not expect it from a mainstream release. Smoky and truly incensey, this one is very nice on men, at least I would like it on a man. My review is far from what anyone would expect, but I thought why not leaving my two cents.

I already like it a lot, not only for the church effect. It will be very interesting on a man definitely and personally I cannot resist to a balsamic perfume. Nope. I'll have to get one for sure.
Sad thing is that it's not possible to wear such an incensey-woody perfume in Greece during April, for it's already very hot. In the winter time it will be amazing. Water resistant too

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

If Interlude is Hemingway, chest puffed out and chewing a cigar, this is F. Scott Fitzgerald sitting quietly in the background with meek and fleeting envy.

shayz
shayz

i had this one
always gets me compliments but i had to sell it
i can't wear it
something is not working well for me
it has woody vanilla mix that give me Headache
trust me you have to test it few times before buy it

MLK
MLK

I have the female version of this is her which I love and I also love, love, love the male version. I am a female and I would wear this scent. Fragrance should not be designated male or female, it's whatever makes you feel good and this is wonderful and I love the vanilla in this. I'm getting myself a bottle as I'm addicted to this version just as much as the "female" version. It should be called, "this is me"!!!

thisisoan
thisisoan

I always have a weak spot for smoky scent.

This one reminded me of Black Nirvana by Elizabeth & James IMHO.

The Sandalwood is very dominant on my skin. Longevity is good too, its last me 7 hrs.

cristina_mtereko
cristina_mtereko

i love it ,bought it for my husband:) and it is now his favourite , similar Tom Ford :)

our lee
our lee

Z&V This Is Him opens with a hit of grapefruit quickly followed by smooth sandalwood in what is an extremely pleasant opening. (I am biased however, as sandalwood is a favourite note of mine.) The dry down in when, on my skin at least, the incense begins to shine, with the grapefruit and sandalwood still also lingering around. The combination of the three works extremely well. Plus the vanilla note adds to the smoothness of the sandalwood and balances out the incense. And it lasts and lasts! Projection is fairly good too.

Nathalie Lorson has done a very good job with this one. A firm favourite that would fit in well in many wardrobes.

HurAcraft
HurAcraft

Creamy vanilla + incense slight hint of spice.

Doesn't smell bad but it's a simple scent. I'd rather wear fragrances I already own than this one.

Performance seems alright, but not great.

frankincense&myrrh
frankincense&myrrh

"... something darker, more mysterious" it says in the sales pitch.
This is about as dark & mysterious as baby powder on a black leather jacket.
When first I read the notes whilst browsing in a shoppe, on a quite balmy early Spring evening, initial trepidation arose from the mention of grapefruit, which I've never been keen on. As it turns out, for me, the vanilla is the big bad wolf here. The grapefruit dissipates soon enough and the sandalwood is certainly creamy & persistent but all is awash in a cloud of confectioners vanilla.
The supposed incense, that which would compensate for & elevate the rest of the composition, is a mirage for the first hours. I kept waiting and although I could finally make it out through the soapy vanilla mist I wonder were it not mentioned as a note would I even believe it to be there... I'm all about smoky, resinous, balsamic, incense anything and definitely "something darker, more mysterious" so...
I don't hate this, it's simply disappointing (granted, this is all coming from a testing strip. I did not spray on my forearm, perhaps I shall tomorrow) Something in me wants to like this and for that I do give it credit.
Forgettable packaging. Forgettable bottle.
Quite feminine. Overpriced? ★☆☆☆☆
(if I find any incense taking the lead on my skin I'll come back)

dglightblue
dglightblue

I'm female. I have on both the male and female versions, this is a lot like ck reveal in the powdery wood, I also have on the unisex ck ck2 which is a sharper wood with fresh overtones.
Zadig has a roundedness to it which works for me better than the women's one, I sense a vanilla or other warm creamy note hiding away.
The opening is very sandalwood, it's a light pleasant wood rather than a heavy beast.

I'm impressed

sarabx5
sarabx5

I sniffed this juice 2 hours ago (on my wirst) 'cause Larson is a "confirmed" nose to my taste.

The combination Vanilla/ Incense/ Sandalwood with refreshing Grapefruit is very well balanced, leads to an amazing masculin dry down.

Not greasy, not heavy, so you can't get wrong with this one.

Sillage and longivity sounds decent.The name of this scent corresponds perfectly with it's effect.

Will be on my next purchase list.

Double thmbs up

JanneMan45
JanneMan45

I like the opening wich is kind of sweet to me.

After an half hour a smokey incense is emerging and this is lasting 12 hours on me right now (Five big sprays).

Gives me a leathery vibe

gorely
gorely

What a pleasant surprise! I decided to test it yesterday and i found an exquisite fragrance, masterfully blended and balanced. Soft vanilla-sandalwood with a touch o incense that exudes understated sophistication.

Black&Blue
Black&Blue

Tested this today and it caught me a bit by surprise. I find it to be very nice creamy vanilla scent,especially on the drydown after pepper and lemon-ish scent are gone after the opening. Probably the nicest thing about it, at least for me, is how sandalwood with a little help of pepper is balanced with vanilla so that it has creamy vanilla sweetness but not as overly sweet as with some other fragrances where vanilla is dominant and basically the only thing that leaves its trace.

I really find it to be very nicely balanced, fairly noticeable, solid longevity of about 6 hours and it is not overpowering.

All in all I really find it to be nice and pleasant for winter period or colder fall/spring time.

DSauvage
DSauvage

One of the most sophisticated scent for men in my opinion.
Very good outcome. This one is for on the shelves

ultrannaise
ultrannaise

This is actually very well crafted, in my opinion. It is quite a linear fragrance, after the initial 15 minutes where the pepper and citrus are more prominent. Sandalwood, incense and pepper balance the vanilla, and prevent it becoming too sweet.
Projection is moderate, and lasts around 12 hours on my skin!

Molko
Molko

Very pleasant shy and sweetish stuff, easily unisex. The bottle looks cool too. The performance is rather low, so to me it seems waste of money buying this fragrance, I wish it was stronger, I like the smell but I skip it...

MeThePerson
MeThePerson

...

WOW.

...

THIS.

I belligerently assumed the was to be a generic clone of some other industry title, hanging on the coat tails of a fashion house and destined to fade and be forgotten within a short time following release.
It was at least five or six months after release before I gave it any attention at all and my first attempts were nothing more than a cursory blotter test over a couple of hours before dismissing the initial common grapefruit top note.The dry black pepper, another masculine note I am averse to due to it's over common appearance in men's fragrances is well blended and subdued by the incense, smooth and enveloping, a thick and syrupy shield to the invigoration and spice. It is this note that was the saving grace in my sticking with this which allowed the oriental warmth of the vanilla/sandalwood/incense beast to cement his as a favourite.
What made this work, was finally getting it on my skin.
The longevity of this fragrance and hold of those final three notes are stunning and the colleagues I work with kept asking what had just been sprayed as each time they came near me they noticed how fresh and complete the fragrance seemed. A good fragrance to keep for a different attitude. Strong, but not too overpowering.

cloeterc
cloeterc

I give this fragrance a 8/10. It is great. My wife feels it has a vanilla, sweet scent to it and I agree. I like the longevity and it is not overpowering of too overpowering.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A basic sandlewood creamy fragrance which has good performance and would be ideal for someone new to fragrance...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 4 hours - 1 foot projection. This is a linear fragrance which is creamy. There is clear sandlewood and almost a distant iris (not listed) with some blended in pepper. It is very basic and does not evolve

4 hours - 8 hours - 8 inch projection. This is a strong fragrance which projects and lasts well.

8 hours - 12 hours - 3 inch projection. There is a small amount of smokiness now which I assume is the incense

It is not too my personal taste and I can't see lovers of niche liking this at all, but this is a safe bet

Not bad

gelo999
gelo999

Start commenting that what I liked most is the opening of grapefruit with black pepper very well measured but a little seen already in other fragrances, in short, interesting and typical opening of designer fragrances, in which you are seduced with an aperture that smells good , Then leave you indifferent with the rest.

It was quite synthetic in general and except for the beginning nothing smells what it says. Sandalwood does not smell like sandalwood, vanilla does not, however, the incense that is detected gives a slight smoky touch to the cocktail.
I call the attention the drying (semi-sweet), which although I do not like much, has good projection and duration, I'm sorry too industrial-musky with nuances directed towards the clean and soapy that sticks to your skin and your clothes and hard And lasts like the Bunny's announcement of Duracell batteries.

Directed to a serious and youthful public, it does not dazzle by the natural and yes for its duration. To me, an unnecessary fragrance.

Rating: 4

LuckyStar1
LuckyStar1

Very well blended fragrance. The sandalwood is very prominent on my skin. Nice and woody with a long lasting vanilla scent. As for longevity, I must be one of the lucky ones, as this fragrance lasts all day on me. Wafting around reminding me of the beautiful fragrance. It smells expensive. I do get the Liu comparisons

ilsagold
ilsagold

After reading grapefruit opening follows creamy vanilla at later stages I had to try it. I sprayed to both arms today while walking with my wife, she hasn't get it until we reach home. (30 mins) really weak projection even for Eau De Toilette.

But the main concern here is the use of Iso E Super®. Ruins everything here. The vanilla used here reminds me the one used at Fahrenheit Le Parfum (2014)

ikleifeld
ikleifeld

Saw Nathalie Lorson's name on this and immediately headed out to sample it. I was not disappointed. The initial grapefruit blast, while short-lived, is fresh and invigorating. It soon fades into a sharp vanilla scent interlaced with subtler notes of incense. The fragrance is darker and bitter closer to the skin, the smokiness of the incense coming through without being cloying, and the notes coalesce into a creamy, lighter scent when sampled from further away.

I could still smell it on my wrist the next morning (12+ hours of longevity) after a night of working as a bartender, which is pretty unexpected as beer gets everywhere and usually drowns out even the more long-lived fragrances after a while. The coat I wore with it is still faintly fragrant over two days since I first put the fragrance on. As for the silage, I wore 1 spray on each wrist and 1 on my neck and got a few compliments. This scent, while still masculine, is most definitely unisex, and it is much more suited to colder temperatures than to warmer. Really interested in experimenting with layering this scent and its partner This Is Her! - I grabbed a few samples and soon realized that the scents mesh incredibly well together, which is only to be expected as these are designed for couples.

This scent, while distinct, is classy enough to wear to an office setting while also dark enough to not be out of place during a night out on the town. Very versatile fragrance. I'm very pleased with this one.

Silage: 8/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Gwenz
Gwenz

Woman trying out a masculine scent here. I found the initial blast of peppery wood a bit harsh, but the dark vanilla / sandalwood dry-down was wonderful, eminently sniffable, and lasted about 8 hours as a more-or-less skin scent.
I'd be leaning in closer to a guy that smelled like this (all other things being equal, of course!)

Will wear it again myself, perhaps layered with a bit of something floral. Not Rose, tried a small amount of Damascus Rose hand cream on one hand and it didn't really work, so maybe jasmine, orchid or white flowers?.

ledlight
ledlight

Not bad fragrance but it is not my type,they have strong scent that will give you headache if you spray more then 3 times,it can last long even after washing my hands i can feel that scent on my skin,last about 6-8 hours or even more than that,,,I have notice that after few hours sweetness of this fragrance cooling downd and makes a nice soap scent,good for evening romance :)...

Scent 7/10
Longevity 8/10
Sillage 7/10

amirkarim1
amirkarim1

Got a sample of this fragrance and been testing it for 2 weeks now. It opens up with a fresh spicy combo of lemon and black pepper, but sadly the opening fades away after like 3 minutes and that's were the Incense with the vanilla start kicking in very strongly to the point that it gives me headache every time I wear it..

Not my type of scent. Sorry.

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

This is most definitely a unisex scent in my opinion! I would describe this as woodsy with a vanilla undertine but also has a smoky-ness to it which adds depth! Probably the incense that gives it the 'smoky' note. I think this would be a really nice scent to wear in the winter when its cold outside and you want to be curled up infront of a roaring log fire! I think this one is quite dark and different on a woman but would also be very nice on a man!

GRAF
GRAF

Very weak performance on my skin, about 2 hours max. Dominant but calm vanilla and secondly, sandalwood. Nice smell but not for me.

Twilight99
Twilight99

So my bottle arrived today. Opening was very promising and I immediately smelled strong similarities with Fahrenheit Le Parfum. But then the Iso E Super showed up and ruined the whole fragrance. Very disappointed. This could have been very good.

Zetamamman
Zetamamman

I think it's a nice fragrance, especially for designer. Peppery incence-y and no sharp lemon top notes. If I had to only shop limited selection stores, this is what I would buy.

lovetribe
lovetribe

It is not my cup of tea despite love incense, sandalwood and vanilla. It opens like an explosion of sandalwood to fill the room. vanilla is very strong while the incense is quite soft. I like but do not buy it. It does not make me say wow .... a new perfume finally !!! It reminds me a little fahrenheit parfum .... total 5/10.
Longevity 6/10 ,7/10 sillage

frankier83
frankier83

Maybe its just because I haven't tried enough fragrances yet, but I don't find this good.
I did 2 sprays. The smell is strong and makes me feel uncomfortable. Maybe if I'm not the one using it will smell better(I hope).

Marcjanssen
Marcjanssen

Like Lenglings "Skrik" but made from Diptique's Eau Duelle and Molecule 01.
All three on their own, nicer than this synt. bomb.

leotrimc
leotrimc

A shame. They tried to copy Vanilla 44 from Le Labo but without success. Having a Zadig & Voltaire fragrance is like having an Addidas one, it means no originality.

fuzzybutt59
fuzzybutt59

This reminds me so much of "French Line" by Revillon,the same pencil shavings/sandalwood notes but with a hint of creamy sweetness.
The vanilla here is not too sweet at all,more like a green orchid/cardamom/fig,sweet but not sugary note.
On me incredibly long lasting,up to 8+ hours with good projection.
Very attractive bottle,very stylish similar to Cerrutti 1881.
Quite impressed as it does stand out from the usual woody fragrances for men but as much as I like it,I would not buy it again.
As of September 2016 it's available as EDT in 30,50 & 100ml.

Stockhaus
Stockhaus

Absolute unisex and fantastic smoky sandalwood - surprisingly good!

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

I like this scent. Bought it today. It is a creamy vanilla scent. Longevity could be longer.
One of the creators of this scent is Nathalie Lorson, who also created Bentley for Men. Nicely done.
I look forward to an intense version of this.

AngelRock77
AngelRock77

I'm a huge fan of Z&V designs and there first Fragrance was ok.
When started seeing the teasers of This Is Zadig on the brand's Instagram and on Cecilia Bonstrom's one I waited impatiently for it's release date.
Today at my favorite Fragrances shop I found it on the counter and sprayed all over me.
Two hours later I'm feeling the urge to rush to the shower and scruff it off me.
It smells like CK be frayed and left in a slaughterhouse and it smells like a burnt tire.

groover
groover

The review below is spot on, this is a
beatiful incense creamy vanilla scent,
wow i find it to be a fantastic smell,
if you like incense you will probably love
this one as i do, it reminds me of a designer
take on Amouages interlude man.

WuZi8465
WuZi8465

Somewhere between niche and designer in terms of scent, it is very well blended and has this wonderfully prominent yet subdued incense note that when combined with the vanilla forms a wonderfully creamy heart. When the sandalwood emerges, this fragrance becomes a close "version" of Dior Homme Parfum. IMHO the drydown is stronger than DHP's drydown as the sandalwood is accompanied by a very nice cacao like accord.

Performance: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

An excellent fragrance, give it shot ;)